Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,826 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:38 AM

New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa (7005 Views)

Onitsha Now A Construction Site: Soludo Starts Massive Development / Nsukka Is The Largest City In Nigeria By Landmass / Obiano Should Declare State Of Emergency In Onitsha Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 9:46pm On Nov 30, 2018
Key insights from the data
•The five biggest cities in Africa are Cairo, Lagos, Onitsha (Nigeria), Johannesburg and Kinshasa.
•Of the 50 cities with the biggest urban sprawls, 20 are in Nigeria and Kenya. Nigeria also has the biggest urban population in Africa at 98 million.
•The fastest rate of urbanisation has been in Rwanda, where the share of people living in towns or cities rose from 5 percent in 1990 to 56 percent in 2015.
•Of the 50 urban areas with the highest density in terms of inhabitants per square kilometre, 45 are in Egypt.
•Kinshasa is the African capital with the highest population density–16,900 inhabitants per km². Dakar is second with 15,000 inhabitants per km².
•The vast majority of towns and cities in Africa are still relatively small: 97 percent of them have fewer than 300,000 inhabitants.
•In Namibia, the average distance between towns and cities is 134 kilometres, the highest in Africa.

8 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 9:46pm On Nov 30, 2018
Full report:

New database released to better assess African cities
27th November 2018 Jonathan Andrews

The new database is the first to provide a standardised and comparable measure of urbanisation

The most complete data set on African urban agglomerations has been launched during the 8th Africities Conference in Marrakesh.

Africapolis includes data on more than 7,500 urban agglomerations in 50 countries and aims to become a tool for governments, policy makers, researchers and urban planners.

The Sahel and West Africa Club–part of the OECD–and e-geopolis used satellite imagery and official census data to make Africapolis the first database to provide a standardised and comparable measure of urbanisation. It is also the first time the data for the 50 countries covered are available for the same base year–2015.

“There wasn’t any complete database on cities and urbanisation in Africa,” Philipp Heinrigs, Senior Economist, OECD, told Cities Today. “Africapolis is a geospatial database that helps [city leaders] better understand their territory, what are the dynamics, where is the emergence happening, and what are the processes that lead to urbanisation.”

The platform allows users to browse, download and reuse more than 200,000 data points, including data on population numbers and densities, geo-location of urban agglomerations, built-up areas and average distances between urban agglomerations ranging back to 1950. In addition to the raw data, users can also use the embedded data visualisation tools, including maps and charts, to explore and compare urbanisation dynamics within and between countries.

Heinrigs explained that most existing databases have a much higher threshold of integrating agglomerations.

“The UN measures cities as above 300,000 inhabitants but 97 percent of all urban agglomerations in Africa have less than 300,000 inhabitants,” he said. “[Africapolis] provides a more complete picture of urbanisation and agglomerations in Africa, in particular small towns and intermediary cities.”

He added that the new database can help city leaders in forward planning and to better understand urban dynamics, and the collaboration and synergies between cities.

The data has also revealed that urbanisation and the emergence of large agglomerations are not necessarily the result of a rural exodus. The urban agglomeration of Onitsha in Nigeria officially has a population of 1.1 million but Africapolis estimates that in reality the urban agglomeration spreads over an area 80 times larger than the city itself with a population of 8.5 million.

An update will be provided in 2020 with new census data, improved methodology and tools.

https://cities-today.com/new-database-released-to-better-assess-african-cities/

3 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 9:46pm On Nov 30, 2018
This is not good news for Onitsha. With its relatively small landmass, it's not gonna be long before another, even worse, example of ''Lagos madness'' comes to Anambra.

8 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by afroniger: 9:51pm On Nov 30, 2018
Lol. Onitsha?? On what basis? Very uninformed analysis if true. Where would that leave Abuja, Kano, Ibadan, Aba, PH??

34 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 9:53pm On Nov 30, 2018
afroniger:
Lol. Onitsha?? On what basis? Very uninformed analysis if true. Where would that leave Kano,
Ibadan, Aba, PH??

All these cities you mentioned have clear boundaries between them and other neighboring cities. Onitsha has fused with neighboring cities without any boundaries, and is now a mega conurbation, with impending disaster. Read the last statement in the post (post 2).

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 9:56pm On Nov 30, 2018
98 million Nigerians live in cities.
Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by afroniger: 9:56pm On Nov 30, 2018
Environer:

All these cities you mentioned have clear boundaries between them and other neighboring cities. Onitsha has fused with neighboring cities without any boundaries, and is now a mega conurbation, with impending disaster

Even at that, it still can't be true. Onitsha proper has a very small landmass and population. The last census attests to that. And even with the addition of the so-called neighboring cities, nothing suggests what is being peddled in that report. No way Onitsha can be larger than Abuja, Kano, Ibadan, or PH, be it in landmass or population. No concrete data supports that. This report's conclusions are baseless.

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by afroniger: 9:58pm On Nov 30, 2018
Environer:
98 million Nigerians live in cities.

How did they arrive at that figure or estimate? On what basis/or criteria? Nigeria hasn't had a census in over a decade.

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 9:58pm On Nov 30, 2018
afroniger:

Even at that, it still can't be true. Onitsha proper has a very small landmass and population. The last census attests to that. And even with the addition of the so-called neighboring cities, nothing suggests what is being peddled in that report. No way Onitsha can be larger than Abuja, Kano, Ibadan, or PH, be it in landmass or population. No concrete data supports that. This report's conclusions are baseless.

You trust Nigerian (FAKE) census? Plus, when was your last census conducted?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by vanbonattel: 9:59pm On Nov 30, 2018
Where is my Ibadan? grin

Oh, my bad, I forgot they said largest cities and not largest slums grin

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 10:00pm On Nov 30, 2018
afroniger:

How did they arrive at that figure or estimate? On what basis/or criteria? Nigeroa hasn't had a census in over a decade.

Lol! How does World bank or IMF know that many people in Africa live on 1 or 2 dollar(s) a day? Do you think they physically counted all nearly one billion Africans? Have you heard of big data?

13 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 10:01pm On Nov 30, 2018
vanbonattel:
Where is my Ibadan? grin

Oh, my bad, I forgot they said largest cities and not largest slums grin

Actually, Onitsha is now a slum. This is not good news

8 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by afroniger: 10:01pm On Nov 30, 2018
Environer:

Even if I don't trust Nigeria's census, neither can i trust this spurious and baseless report. There are several datas out there that can give us an educated estimate and guess of populations of cities and states even without an official census, and none of them remotely suggest/support the conclusions of this spurious report.

36 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by vanbonattel: 10:02pm On Nov 30, 2018
Towns that has now become onitsha
Asaba
Okpanam
Obosi
Oba
Ogbunike
Iyiowa
Ogidi
Nnewi
Nnobi
Nkwerre ezunaka
Okija
Ojoto
Nnokwa
Nkpor
Ichi

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by afroniger: 10:04pm On Nov 30, 2018
Environer:

Lol! How does World bank or IMF know that many people in Africa live on 1 or 2 dollar(s) a day? Do you think they physically counted all nearly one billion Africans? Have you heard of big data?

I can show you big data about most populated Nigerians/African cities, released by Euromonitor, that starkly contradict this report bro.

36 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 10:07pm On Nov 30, 2018
afroniger:

I can show you big data about most populated Nigerians/African cities, released by Euromonitor, that starkly contradict this report bro.

I am not here to argue with you. I just showed folks on here new information which is foretelling of the dangers a place like Onitsha faces in the near future. This news is not celebratory as it relates to Onitsha. Okay??

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 10:08pm On Nov 30, 2018
Overall good news: The vast majority of towns and cities in Africa are still relatively small: 97 percent of them have fewer than 300,000 inhabitants.

1 Like

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by afroniger: 10:10pm On Nov 30, 2018
Environer:

I am not here to argue with you. I just showed folks on here new information which is foretelling of the dangers a place like Onitsha faces in the near future. This news is not celebratory as it relates to Onitsha. Okay??

And I am telling you that the premise of the report is based on fallacy, therefore whatever its conclusions are they will also turn out to be false. It's simple common sense. Onitsha isn't larger than Kano, PH, Abuja, or ibadan

35 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by CyynthiaKiss(f): 10:14pm On Nov 30, 2018
afroniger:

And I am telling you that the premise of the report is based on fallacy, therefore whatever its conclusions are they will also turn out to be false. It's simple common sense. Onitsha isn't larger than Kano, PH, Abuja, or ibadan
If it's by landmass ,Niger state would have been the largest city in Africa. Go back and read the thread again and understand the content, this time slowly.
Check the source as well before you start shouting Ipob.. Meanwhile, this is not a good news anyways because Onitsha might turn to something else in the future because of limited landmass.

Again read the news properly and understand the content before commenting..

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 10:16pm On Nov 30, 2018
CyynthiaKiss:

If it's by landmass, Niger state would have been the largest city in Africa. Go back and read the thread again, this time slowly.

Don't mind him.

4 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by totit: 10:20pm On Nov 30, 2018
Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by afroniger: 10:24pm On Nov 30, 2018
CyynthiaKiss:

If it's by landmass, Niger state would have been the largest city in Africa. Go back and read the thread again, this time slowly.

This isn't about landmass, ok? It's not rocket science that the report is a fraud. It didn't even say largest city in Nigeria but Africa. Like seriously?? Even within Nigeria Onitsha can't be third largest, let alone in Africa. Where would that leave Kinshasa (DRC) with 10-million population in the city, Luanda, Nairobi, etc. In Nigeria, Onitsha no fit near PH, Abuja, Kano, and Ibadan. I doubt it is even more populous than Aba, I seriously doubt it.

37 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by SEGLIZ: 11:02pm On Nov 30, 2018
Environer:

I beg help me ask ham o, wich day Nigeria do census last o? e fit argue for Nigeria.

6 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by SEGLIZ: 11:11pm On Nov 30, 2018
afroniger:

I now understand, "fallacy", too much of logic and philosophy will make you argue you weren't given birth by your mother (even when the doctors and nurses that took your delivery are there) but you evolved. you argue for Buhari.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by wafersoc: 11:50pm On Nov 30, 2018
To be honest i'm not surprised, Onitsha has been a bustling city, the lack of accurate census due to political reasons have made Nigerians focus on cities with fake population stats.

The report is right on track, Something has to be done before onitsha becomes the new congested Lagos

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by walemoney007(m): 11:51pm On Nov 30, 2018
So Onitsha has more population than Ibadan and port Harcourt grin

22 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by knowledgeable: 12:01am On Dec 01, 2018
afroniger:

Onitsha as an economic powerhouse have always be a prime catalyst for Lagos demographic and economic changes over time. I have always maintain in this forum that Lagos journey into an African mega city of the 21st century was ignited by Onitsha. By the second half of 20th century, Onitsha have already became the biggest market in West Africa.Civil war, structural adjustment policies of early 80s, marginalization, dearth of infrastructure (no roads, seaport, international airport etc.) forced so many traders in their millions to move to Lagos in the eighties and thus, Lagos journey into mega city have begun. Bokoharam, internet, globalization, strong/rooted Igbo diasporan population, the successive policies/call for Igbos to invest back home, gradual yorubalization of Lagos State etc, all have resulted in Onitsha witnessing Urban expansion and population growth.(still with no seaport, rails, bad roads, second niger bridge, no electricity). Onitsha of 70s, 80s, 90s don't exist anymore. The boundaries have gone down. Urbanization & good network of roads in Anambra State have connected Onitsha to Asaba. Onitsha to Nnewi to Ekwulobia to Awka to Ozubulu, Ihiala, Okija and all in between to no boundaries.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by NIGHTMARE0O7: 12:08am On Dec 01, 2018
Environer:
Overall good news: The vast majority of towns and cities in Africa are still relatively small: 97 percent of them have fewer than 300,000 inhabitants.

Now u agree it's good news..
Why are u selling from both sides of ur mouth undecided

10 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Environer: 12:17am On Dec 01, 2018
NIGHTMARE0O7:

Now u agree it's good news..
Why are u selling from both sides of ur mouth undecided

Ode! Good news overall for Africa. Bad news for Onitsha. You must not be a smart person.

1 Like

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by vonxe: 12:25am On Dec 01, 2018
knowledgeable:

Onitsha as an economic powerhouse have always be a prime catalyst for Lagos demographic and economic changes over time. I have always maintain in this forum that Lagos journey into an African mega city of the 21st century was ignited by Onitsha. By the second half of 20th century, Onitsha have already became the biggest market in West Africa.Civil war, structural adjustment policies of early 80s, marginalization, dearth of infrastructure (no roads, seaport, international airport etc.) forced so many traders in their millions to move to Lagos in the eighties and thus, Lagos journey into mega city have begun. Bokoharam, internet, globalization, strong/rooted Igbo diasporan population, the successive policies/call for Igbos to invest back home, gradual yorubalization of Lagos State etc, all have resulted in Onitsha witnessing Urban expansion and population growth.(still with no seaport, rails, bad roads, second niger bridge, no electricity). Onitsha of 70s, 80s, 90s don't exist anymore. The boundaries have gone down. Urbanization & good network of roads in Anambra State have connected Onitsha to Asaba. Onitsha to Nnewi to Ekwulobia to Awka to Ozubulu, Ihiala, Okija and all in between to no boundaries.
For knowledge sake, what policies?

8 Likes

Re: New Data About Nigeria And Africa - Onitsha Now Third Largest City In Africa by Nobody: 12:26am On Dec 01, 2018
vanbonattel:
Towns that has now become onitsha
Asaba
Okpanam

Obosi
Oba
Ogbunike
Iyiowa
Ogidi
Nnewi
Nnobi
Nkwerre ezunaka
Okija
Ojoto
Nnokwa
Nkpor
Ichi

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Reno Omockry Had This To Say / Political Crisis In Nigeria / FG To Spend N88billion On Ex-militants In 2013

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.