Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,956 members, 7,806,768 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 11:08 PM

ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ (21110 Views)

NUC Orders Universities To Shut Down For 3 Weeks For 2023 Election / Nasarawa Govt Orders Immediate Closure Of Public, Private Schools / UK University Goes On Strike - Nigerian Student Shocked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by ChinagoChiBoy: 10:53am On Dec 01, 2018
This is a show of shame from the government....,
Why can't this leaders be true to their words for once?
You have agreed to pay 220billion on installment annually from the 1.3 trillion.
and till November you have just paid 20billion, is it Fair?.
And some misinformed miscreants are here blaming ASSU....
"No Work No Pay....No Pay No Second Term Re-Election"
#IstandWithASSU

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by proffemi: 10:54am On Dec 01, 2018
olujastro:

Your response only reechoed the arrogance typical of ASUU members. You only succeeded in emphasising the importance of university education which is known the world over

Guy, don't accuse me of arrogance.
If you find some my answers a bit condescending, how can I help sounding that way when I am interacting with people who, for example, think $100 per session is too expensive for an engineering education?

Let me deconstruct your post for ya:

To show you the arrogance of ASUU, federal educational institutions at the primary and secondary levels don't embark on strike actions, unlike ASUU that has equated itself to a demigod body in Nigeria.
Demigods? No. We have leverage, and you better be happy we are using it. Do you think it is a coincidence that those same levels you cited, who don't have the leverage of ASUU, are floundering while the universities are improving

As if funding will 100% guarantee quality in the same Nigeria where some VCs have been charged for looting of public funds meant for improving university education.
Nobody said this, least of all me. There is corruption in the universities, just like there is corruption everywhere in Nigeria. What does this point have to do with me?

You guys simply wanted to cash in on NLC planned strike then and the upcoming elections to arm-twist the govt.
You know better than this. I think you just ran out of things to say. ASUU cash in on NLC? Please educate yourself to find out who is who. ASUU is one of the most powerful unions in Nigeria, along with NMA and PENGASSAN. They don't cash in on NLC strikes.

I was a victim of your needless strike actions for 5yrs turned almost 6yrs at the University. I stand with government on this. Go back to work or go look for another "perfectly funded sector" to work with.
Finally: the crux of the matter. You approach this issue with bitterness and sentiment. Don't forget that while you passed through the university in 6 years, this is our work. This is our life. We know a little about it, don't you think?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by Warship: 10:55am On Dec 01, 2018
olujastro:

Your response only reechoed the arrogance typical of ASUU members. You only succeeded in emphasising the importance of university education which is known the world over.

To show you the arrogance of ASUU, educational institutions at the primary and secondary levels don't embark on strike actions, unlike ASUU that has equated itself to a demigod body in Nigeria.

As if funding will 100% guarantee quality in the same Nigeria where some VCs have been charged for looting of public funds meant for improving university education.

You guys simply wanted to cash in on NLC planned strike then and the upcoming elections to arm-twist the govt.

I was a victim of your needless strike actions for 5yrs turned almost 6yrs at the University. I stand with government on this.
Go back to work or go look for another "perfectly funded sector" to work with.

Don't mind them.

People do not want to understand that, public funds are limited and therefore, new ways of funding the universities must be discovered.
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by proffemi: 11:02am On Dec 01, 2018
Warship:

How much is minimum wage.?

18,500 multiples 60 months will give you N1.1m

$600 × N350= N210,000 for just a child and do not forget that we have a maximum of 4 child policy which will make it N840,000 for a poor civil servant.

What about feeding, clothing etc.?

That is the big picture you aren't seeing.

Why don't you quit speaking on issues you know nothing about?

Universities are entrusted with producing a BSc (Computer Science) or a BA (Accounting) that can compete in the global market.
People like you think that the "big picture" is to cut our coat according to our cloth. If Harvard costs $67,000 per annum, but Nigeria's minimum wage limits parents to only $100 per annum, then we must provide an education that is 0.001% of Harvards.

That's a stupid mindset.

And yet you want our universities to perform well.

If you want education that is even slightly comparable to anywhere else in the world, someone should pay for it. You say Mr. Worker can't afford to do it. Okay. Now ASUU is taking the battle for funding to FG, you sa mba. You say the companies should do it instead, but I have gently shown you that it cannot be entirely on them. And yet, somehow, you believe ASUU is the villain of this story??

4 Likes

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by ADUBA1(m): 11:06am On Dec 01, 2018
Warship:

Let me help you out to see things clearly.

How much do FG generate.?

How much do each sector of Nigeria requires.?

When you have done the calculation, you will realize that, only the private sector can solve this problem if fused with the universities to help upgrade the labs/workshops and then the research works commercialized to generate more money to repay the private sector who then pay taxes to government as well as further support the universities.
the current state of the University will not attract any private sector. private sector is profit driven

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by mechanics(m): 11:51am On Dec 01, 2018
The power of the people is stronger than the people in power, noted.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by honourhim: 11:54am On Dec 01, 2018
semyman:

My simplest solution to the hardened ASUU members is to declare their absence as voluntary withdrawal of service after conducting a recruitment process for their replacement even from Ghana and securing a court order

Use your brain rightly and stop making a ridicule of yourself..

The number of professors in Nigeria is far less than the required number so where will FG get Professors that will be enough to serve?

Which foreign lecturer will agree to leave his country to come and teach under this harsh environment with its poor wages?

Nigeria is also lacking the number of PHD holders in various fields needed in our universities so where will FG get?

If your mind is telling you that ASUU will lose in this battle pls stop deceiiving yourself. ASUU has been fighting this battle isnc e the military era so its not in democracy that they will be afraid.

go and rest and stop messing yourself up.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by theoldpretender(m): 12:05pm On Dec 01, 2018
emmasege:
Hope ASUU guys now know the difference between an educated president and an illiterate, a Democrat and an autocrat.

GEJ gave you guys many things: tetfund grants for conferences and research; 14 new federal universities which further opened up University education, provided jobs for your trainees and sabbatical opportunities for you; #200 billion naira as an instalment of the #1.3 trillion for University revitalization with a promise to pay in installments for another four or five years.

He gave you all these but yet his worst critics were the University Dons, including that midget and fake pastor Osinbajo. Not forgetting Akin Oyebode of UNILAG and Attahiru Jega, the compromised INEC boss.

Others are too numerous to count. I've had the opportunity of talking to some University lecturers to hear their view about this mistake of a generation (Buhari) that we call president. It surprised me to know that some of them still believe that he's the best for the job. THEN, I SAFELY CONCLUDED THAT WISDOM IS NOT A FUNCTION OF DEGREES.

Enjoy your change, you deserve it.

1.The 14 new universites have made funding much more difficult. There are more universites for limited places.(By the way, Bubu too has set up at least 5 new universites. I guess that also makes him a good leader. Fact is, we don't need new universites. ).

2.Go and read the 2009 agreement which stated that universites should get N3 trillion in extra funding over 2 years. GEJ reduced it to 1.5 trillion over 5 years and was only able to pay N200billion in 2014.

3.TETFUND has been around before the GEJ admin.

4.The problem, and the reason why GEJ could not pay the whole money is simple. Fees have to go up. But neother the PDP or the APC or Nigerians are ready to face that reality.
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by paix(m): 12:18pm On Dec 01, 2018
Maybe the workers in Nigeria should also operate on NO PAY, NO WORK.
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by olujastro: 12:41pm On Dec 01, 2018
theoldpretender:

1.The 14 new universites have made funding much more difficult. There are more universites for limited places.(By the way, Bubu too has set up at least 5 new universites. I guess that also makes him a good leader. Fact is, we don't need new universites. ).

2.Go and read the 2009 agreement which stated that universites should get N3 trillion in extra funding over 2 years. GEJ reduced it to 1.5 trillion over 5 years and was only able to pay N200billion in 2014.

3.TETFUND has been around before the GEJ admin.

4.The problem, and the reason why GEJ could not pay the whole money is simple. Fees have to go up. But neother the PDP or the APC or Nigerians are ready to face that reality.
Imagine how unreasonable and unrealistic ASUU's demands are. The 2009 budget was about N3trillion and ASUU alone was demanding a whole of Nigeria's budget in 2yrs for them alone. Crazy fellas cheesy
Maybe NMA, NUT, NURTW, NRC, NTA, etc. should have all demanded for their own trillions and subsequently embarked on their own strike actions so that the entire country paralyses. And then ASUU members can go to Sango for health treatments.

ASUU's effrontery and needless annual strike actions is simply an evidence that power intoxicates and absolute power corrupts (a black man especially)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by proffemi: 1:02pm On Dec 01, 2018
olujastro:

Imagine how unreasonable and unrealistic ASUU's demands are. The 2009 budget was about N3trillion and ASUU alone was demanding a whole of Nigeria's budget in 2yrs for them alone. Crazy fellas cheesy
Maybe NMA, NUT, NURTW, NRC, NTA, etc. should have all demanded for their own trillions and subsequently embarked on their own strike actions so that the entire country paralyses. And then ASUU members can go to Sango for health treatments.

ASUU's effrontery and needless annual strike actions is simply an evidence that power intoxicates and absolute power corrupts (a black man especially)

I believe I've made enough points already if you wanted to be educated on the issues at stake jare, but noo, you would rather cling to your preconceptions. In so doing, you become an apt symbol of the failed state of the universities: a graduate who studiously refuses to apply straightforward critical reasoning, but rather bases important decisions on sentiments and emotions.

Thank God that the future of the Nigerian educational system is not in your hands or the hands of your ilk.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by theoldpretender(m): 1:05pm On Dec 01, 2018
olujastro:

It was reasonable..the problem was, there was no way Government was going to be able to fund it. (That is what GEJ and the then labour minister eventually told them in 2013).Even now (our budget is N9 trillion for next year, and proposing we spend N3 trillion on just universites ....naa).

The problem is...this means raised fees. (which is something neither ASUU, nor government , nor the Nigerian people want.)

At the end of the day, ASUU would take a beaten down agreement, and the funding problem remains.

The sad thing...it is the poor who would suffer the effects. Rich and the middle class would just port to private universites....or go abroad.(and even some of the poor would do the same).

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by bigstan11787(m): 1:20pm On Dec 01, 2018
This tin is sipmle: no work no pay and no pay no work...balanced

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by Warship: 1:25pm On Dec 01, 2018
olujastro:

proffemi put cost into consideration before you kill government.
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by Warship: 1:26pm On Dec 01, 2018
theoldpretender:

It was reasonable..the problem was, there was no way Government was going to be able to fund it. (That is what GEJ and the then labour minister eventually told them in 2013).Even now (our budget is N9 trillion for next year, and proposing we spend N3 trillion on just universites ....naa).

The problem is...this means raised fees. (which is something neither ASUU, nor government , nor the Nigerian people want.)

At the end of the day, ASUU would take a beaten down agreement, and the funding problem remains.

The sad thing...it is the poor who would suffer the effects. Rich and the middle class would just port to private universites....or go abroad.(and even some of the poor would do the same).

proffemi where will FG get 3tr for just one sector.?
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by olujastro: 1:32pm On Dec 01, 2018
theoldpretender:

I'm sure if you read all your paragraphs again, especially the first two, you'll see your contradiction and the answers to my statement that... the whole ASUU strike thing is unreasonable, unrealistic and a needless waste of time for the affected poor students.

If all parties understand and agree that there is no headway regarding the demands, then why go on strike? To show power?
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by nelsonose: 1:45pm On Dec 01, 2018
This policy of FGN is apt and quite commendable. For whatever reason, the incessant strike by ASUU in public Universities is becoming worrisome. Regrettably, these guys are still living in the past and would soon be relegated to the same level with NUT especially with the multiplicity of private Universities in the country. It is gradually becoming history, times when you find children of serving governors or ministers in public universities.
My advice to ASUU. Thread with caution, swallow your pride and go back to the classroom. Times are changing.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by theoldpretender(m): 1:53pm On Dec 01, 2018
olujastro:

I'm sure if you read all your paragraphs again, especially the first two, you'll see your contradiction and the answers to my statement that... the whole ASUU strike thing is unreasonable, unrealistic and a needless waste of time for the affected poor students.

If all parties understand and agree that there is no headway regarding the demands, then why go on strike? To show power?

So, in other words....fees have to go up.

The whole strike drama is to be understood as an attempt to avert the reality of high fees...which is what my long and convoluted thinking comes to.

The thing is...the whole education sector needs trillions of naira(my estimate)...not just unviersites ....if we want to enjoy free and QUALITY education at low prices/fees.
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by lettalktrue(m): 1:58pm On Dec 01, 2018
[quote author=emmasege post=73451035]Hope ASUU guys now know the difference between an educated president and an illiterate, a Democrat and an autocrat.

GEJ gave you guys many things: tetfund grants for conferences and research; 14 new federal universities which further opened up University education, provided jobs for your trainees and sabbatical opportunities for you; #200 billion naira as an instalment of the #1.3 trillion for University revitalization with a promise to pay in installments for another four or five years.

He gave you all these but yet his worst critics were the University Dons, including that midget and fake pastor Osinbajo. Not forgetting Akin Oyebode of UNILAG and Attahiru Jega, the compromised INEC boss.

but i think BUHARI became president not more than three years ago, and according to ASUU they were owned SEVEN YEARS salaries
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by FriendNG: 2:06pm On Dec 01, 2018
Raylight2:
'No work, no pay' on top Christmas and new year. gbese. really bad timing for these lecturers

They think it's perfect time to strike due to election. Forgetting it's also Christmas.
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by olujastro: 2:06pm On Dec 01, 2018
theoldpretender:

So, in other words....fees have to go up.

The whole strike drama is to be understood as an attempt to avert the reality of high fees...which is what my long and convoluted thinking comes to.

The thing is...the whole education sector needs trillions of naira(my estimate)...not just unviersites ....if we want to enjoy free and QUALITY education at low prices/fees.
No need to increase fees. We maintain the status quo in university education just as in every other sector in Nigeria. Or govt can increase funding a bit in subsequent budgets in education and health and reduce that of other social infrastructure. (Hopefully, ASUU members don't die on bad roads) wink

Do you think if there was no massive looting of monies meant for education both in the military era and since 1999, that ASUU will be making isolated demands for funding?

The goal is we strive for good governance to ensure that all appropriated funds are utilised to develop all sectors of the country, including universities.
This means not voting for any persons that are more disposed to corruption and looting of public funds. And holding public officers accountable for the resources at their disposals.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by proffemi: 2:16pm On Dec 01, 2018
Warship:
proffemi where will FG get 3tr for just one sector.?

Lol, you're a funny one.
Why do you keep calling me when I have laid out the facts? Is thinking so hard, or are you trolling me? Well, I'm an optimist who never gives up on teaching anyone making a sincere effort to learn, so I'll break it down again:

1. Harvard-quality university education costs over $40,000. If we aim for half-Harvard grin , that's still over $20000 per annum.
2. Students of federal universities in Nigeria still pay around $120 per annum.
3. The bulk of the funding comes from government, but it comes nowhere near $20,000.

I want you to ask yourself these questions, if you sincerely care about this issue:

1. Should we just cut out coat according to out cloth and provide only the sort of education that current funding levels can support? Note the implications of this option. First, forget about any national development. Solid tertiary educational is a requirement for that. Forget graduates who can compete well in today's global market. Realize also that this path will lead to the death of public universities, which means that the rich will simply move to private universities and institutions overseas. Do you really want this option?

2. Should we increase funding by saddling companies with even more burden? I believe someone has kindly explained how this will effectively break the back of Industry, especially since the universities, in their current state, have little of value to offer the companies.

3. Should we jerk up school fees? Personally, I am 100% convinced that this is at least part of whatever permanent solution there is for this problem. And yet, you are on record arguing against this option because you believe the fees regime in universities should be a function of the minimum wage. Chief, nowhere in the world is this the case. In the US, even white collar workers save for years to be able to afford college education for their kids. So, do you want this option?

4. Finally, do you think Government should be made to increase the level of funding? Forget all this talk of 1 trillion naira. This thing is a negotiation, and despite your beliefs, ASUU's reps know the price of crude oil. So, do you pick this option?

So, I'm all ears, tell me which (combinations of the ) above options would you pick? Or let me know if you have other options.

This of course assumes you are willing to approach this in an open-minded manner. If you're not, then I'll request that you kindly stop mentioning me.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by FriendNG: 2:19pm On Dec 01, 2018
olujastro:

Your response only reechoed the arrogance typical of ASUU members. You only succeeded in emphasising the importance of university education which is known the world over.

To show you the arrogance of ASUU, educational institutions at the primary and secondary levels don't embark on strike actions, unlike ASUU that has equated itself to a demigod body in Nigeria.

I was a victim of your needless strike actions for 5yrs turned almost 6yrs at the University. I stand with government on this.
Go back to work or go look for another "perfectly funded sector" to work with.

God bless you. But I heard the circular of no work no pay have been withdrawn.
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by proffemi: 2:21pm On Dec 01, 2018
[quote author=lettalktrue post=73461626][/quote]
Lol. Buhari will bow to ASUU, the same way GEJ did; the same way even military dictators did. Do you know why? Because ASUU is (largely) right.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by olujastro: 2:25pm On Dec 01, 2018
FriendNG:

God bless you. But I heard the circular of no work no pay have been withdrawn.
Amen. I am not aware.
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by Raylight2(m): 3:47pm On Dec 01, 2018
FriendNG:

They think it's perfect time to strike due to election. Forgetting it's also Christmas.
yes... they'll be forced to bow. they've done their worse . the FG wants to do its
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by FriendNG: 4:09pm On Dec 01, 2018
Raylight2:
yes... they'll be forced to bow. they've done their worse . the FG wants to do its

But I heard the circular have been withdrawn they will get paid. But am not sure.
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by Nobody: 4:33pm On Dec 01, 2018
Blue3k2:
Lol all this drama and NASS thinks it makes sense to establish more universities. They need to tackle funding for current ones before thinking of adding another one. Is there a reason why they cant expand current university aswell?

The FG should pay what they owe. The no work no pay is fair since they arent working. Anyway its funny Buhari is acting more like Ronald Reagan in this situation.
Many lecturers are working as I type.
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 01, 2018
Warship:
The Federal Government should withhold the salaries of all Academic Staff if they want the No Work No Pay directive to be successful. Otherwise, the Vice Chancellors and the various Universities will keep paying the striking Lecturers therefore, emboldening them to be adamant on their position.

FG, should find out the actual personnel cost of each University Academic Staff and deduct it before giving the various universities their monthly salary allocations for Non Academic Staff.
Even Abacha tried similar thing yet he failed
Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by jmaine: 4:34pm On Dec 01, 2018
FriendNG:

Who christmas epp? The Lecturers are looking at the bigger picture while you feel Christmas money will shake them...

Hilarious.. Dance never even start..

1 Like

Re: ASUU Strike: Nigerian Govt Orders Universities To Implement ‘no Work, No Pay’ by Nobody: 4:39pm On Dec 01, 2018
semyman:

Research my foot, what research? People that are after girls and settlement from guys.
It will never be well with the criminal element in ASUU.
What is the contribution of this low lives.
Lectures are recycled endlessly and you tell me about research.
It can't be worse than it is now.
They are agents of private universities.

Mr man those lecturers are into research. Their job is to teach and research

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Obafemi Awolowo University Dissociates From ASUU One Week Warning Strike.(Pics) / Bisi Akande Blasts ASUU; Says They Produce Vagabond Graduates / 500-L LASU Student Stabbed To Death, Police Use Teargas On Protesting Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.