Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,314 members, 7,808,058 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:16 AM

Buhari Writes For Christian Newspaper, Says Christians, Muslims Must Unite - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari Writes For Christian Newspaper, Says Christians, Muslims Must Unite (409 Views)

Solomon Dalung Called Muslim Muslim Ticket Evil, Says Christians Will Defeat It / Customs Northern Nigeria Muslims Must Abolish / Buhari Writes National Assembly, Says I Have Resumed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari Writes For Christian Newspaper, Says Christians, Muslims Must Unite by kemzy036: 7:13am On Dec 01, 2018
President Muhammadu Buhari yesterday wrote an article for a foreign Christian newspaper, Church Times UK, in which he described himself as a descendant of Abraham, a biblical hero regarded as the father of faith, while also urging Nigerian Christians and Muslims to unite and flourish together.

The president in the opinion article, titled: “Don’t Politicise Religion in Nigeria,” published in the Anglican newspaper, supported his position with various Bible verses and declared, “Muslims and Christians should not only peacefully coexist, but should also flourish together.”

Also in the article, President Buhari said he was being accused of trying to turn Nigeria into an Islamic state, while the Boko Haram terrorists accused him of being anti-Islam.

On the herdsmen/farmers’ situation, he said herdsmen “tend to be predominantly Muslims, although not exclusively”, while farmers “in certain areas of central Nigeria, are predominantly Christians,” noting that there was need for understanding, calling for “reconciliation rather than division.”

The President praised late Samuel Ajayi Crowther in the article. He wrote: “In 1844, the Rev. Samuel Ajayi Crowther returned home to Yorubaland (now part of modern-day Nigeria). Twenty years earlier, he had been kidnapped and sold to European slave traders who were bound for the Americas. He was freed by an abolitionist naval patrol, and received by the Church Missionary Society. There, he found his calling.

“Crowther made his voyage home to establish the first Anglican mission in Yorubaland. He came with the first Bibles translated into Yoruba and Hausa languages. He opened dialogue and discussion with those of other faiths. And his mission was a success. Crowther later became the first African Anglican Bishop in Africa.

“Today, Nigeria has the largest Christian population on the continent. The messages and teachings of Christianity are part of the fabric of each person’s life. Along with the millions of Christians in Nigeria today, I believe in peace, tolerance, and reconciliation; in the institution of the family, the sanctity of marriage, and the honour of fidelity; in hope, compassion, and divine revelation.

“Like Bishop Crowther, I am a descendant of Abraham; unlike him, I am a Muslim. I believe our two great religions cannot only peacefully coexist but also flourish together. But Muslims and Christians must first turn to one another in compassion. For, as it says in Amos 3.3: ‘Do two walk together, unless they have agreed to meet’

“As they are People of the Book, I believe that there is far more that unites Muslims and Christians than divides them. In fact, I believe that the messages of the Bible are universal: available for anyone to exercise, and instructive to all. We must resist the temptation to retreat into our communities, because, if we do, we can only look inwards. It is only when we mix that we can reach new and greater possibilities.

Source: http://www.nairafame.com/2018/11/buhari-writes-for-christian-newspaper.html?m=1

Cc Lalasticlala
Cc Seun
Cc Mynd44

Re: Buhari Writes For Christian Newspaper, Says Christians, Muslims Must Unite by madridguy(m): 7:44am On Dec 01, 2018
brb wink
Re: Buhari Writes For Christian Newspaper, Says Christians, Muslims Must Unite by ExAngel007(f): 7:48am On Dec 01, 2018

1 Like

Re: Buhari Writes For Christian Newspaper, Says Christians, Muslims Must Unite by Nnemuka(f): 8:11am On Dec 01, 2018
According to Reno, ChurchTimes should not allow Muhammadu Buhari deceive them. Rather, they should ask Buhari, why every intelligence agency is headed by a Northern Muslim male including:

* NPF
* NSA
* DSS
* NIA
* DMI
* DIA
* NPS
* NCS
* NIS, and
* EFCC
6 or 7 may be coincidence, but ALL 10 is a deliberate strategy to exclude Christians! #Renosdarts
Re: Buhari Writes For Christian Newspaper, Says Christians, Muslims Must Unite by orunto27: 3:53pm On Dec 01, 2018
Re: Buhari Writes For Christian Newspaper, Says Christians, Muslims Must Unite by orunto27: 4:03pm On Dec 01, 2018
Nnemuka:
According to Reno, ChurchTimes should not allow Muhammadu Buhari deceive them. Rather, they should ask Buhari, why every intelligence agency is headed by a Northern Muslim male including:

* NPF
* NSA
* DSS
* NIA
* DMI
* DIA
* NPS
* NCS
* NIS, and
* EFCC
6 or 7 may be coincidence, but ALL 10 is a deliberate strategy to exclude Christians! #Renosdarts

He has not replied Christiana Amanpour that he is Bokoharam.
He is yet to reply The British House of Commons that he is an armed Fulani Herdsman slouching to cut off a Southern Farmer's Throat.
Re: Buhari Writes For Christian Newspaper, Says Christians, Muslims Must Unite by Omeokachie: 4:05pm On Dec 01, 2018
Joke of the century

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Rev. Fr. Mbaka Endorses Gov. Umahi For Second Tenure / I Am Alive, Strong And Was Not Replaced:: Nigeria President Buhari, / NASS Summoning US Ambasador Show The Kind Of People We Have At Helms Of Affaires

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.