Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,366 members, 7,808,280 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History (17378 Views)

Ejikeme Joy Scores Highest In JAMB, Gets INNOSON N3m Scholarship / Maduafokwa Agnes Egoagwuagwu 365 JAMB Score: Highest In 2020 / Governor Shettima Awards Scholarship To Galadima Isreal, Highest In JAMB Scorer (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by InvertedHammer: 6:21pm On Dec 02, 2018
NumbEmotions:
Turns Out Abi Churns Out
/
Churns out abi dashes out

/
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by greatiyk4u(m): 6:23pm On Dec 02, 2018
The first indigenous university will always remain the best in character moulding and learning

Hail thee ma Alma mata

2 Likes

Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by KanwuliaMama: 6:29pm On Dec 02, 2018
Trustee1:
70% of which were bought. Fact.

Gbam!
Na beans? cheesy
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by Trustee1: 6:32pm On Dec 02, 2018
mrvitalis:

U differently don't know unn
I'm obviously a student.
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by ayofag(m): 6:34pm On Dec 02, 2018
This face looks familiar. Can someone help with the identity pls?

Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by udemzyudex(m): 6:39pm On Dec 02, 2018
Useless, upon all the engineers, PhD, doctorate degrees yet we can't produce anything, we can't invent anything.

What a waste.

1 Like

Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 02, 2018
toyetade:
What work will they be doing ?. Where will they work other than lecturing if they manage to get one. Sign of underdevelopment. We need professionals, technicians, apprentices, enterpreneurs
They will be involved in research. The textbooks you are using are written by sound academicians as a result of thorough research

1 Like

Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by Nobody: 6:58pm On Dec 02, 2018
Trustee1:
70% of which were bought. Fact.
UNN isn't like that.
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by bobolizim(m): 7:05pm On Dec 02, 2018
toyetade:
What work will they be doing ?. Where will they work other than lecturing if they manage to get one. Sign of underdevelopment. We need professionals, technicians, apprentices, enterpreneurs
you think it's easy to do PhD without having work ?

1 Like

Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by justflow1(m): 7:10pm On Dec 02, 2018
kckings250:
Ok, but IMSU is still dey best!.

Warri wolves and barcelona abeg which way?
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by Homeboiy: 7:11pm On Dec 02, 2018
Is Ozumba still the vc
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by mrvitalis(m): 7:19pm On Dec 02, 2018
Trustee1:

I'm obviously a student.
I'm a graduate of unn ....so u should know unn don't sale certificate

Don't let them sale u fake certificate ooh
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by ofwest47(m): 7:32pm On Dec 02, 2018
Nigeria' s glorified secondary schools . Nigerian University education with no particular goal for development especially on the present day science and technology as well as industrial researches and development. All you hear is PhD. Political science, PhD Economics ,PhD. Business Admin. PhD. Law. PhD guidance and counseling, PhD. religious studies and so on and so forth with little or nothing to hear of science and technological engineering, industrial research and development.

2 Likes

Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by Ugosample(m): 7:42pm On Dec 02, 2018
Congrats to them.

It's not easy to be a PhD holder, regardless of what some of you dimwits are saying here

if it's so easy and all, go get your own
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by costandi(m): 7:43pm On Dec 02, 2018
coolcharm:
480 what? Even all these mushroom private universities haven't gotten to this level of caricature yet
If you know the average years spent by these people to acquire this degree, you won't call it caricature. We've experienced Nigerians go abroad to get these degrees in record time, meanwhile our Nigerian counterparts would want you to sweat blood before they hand you that degree thinking they're wise. If you earn it, get it simple!
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by Ugosample(m): 7:43pm On Dec 02, 2018
ofwest47:
Nigeria' s glorified secondary schools . Nigerian University education with no particular goal for development especially on the present day science and technology as well as industrial researches and development. All you hear is PhD. Political science, PhD Economics ,PhD. Business Admin. PhD. Law. PhD guidance and counseling, PhD. religious studies and so on and so forth with little or nothing to hear of science and technological engineering, industrial research and development.

what's your problem with the PhDs you listed up there?

Nigeria produces PhDs from a lot of fields
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by LZAA: 7:45pm On Dec 02, 2018
ikorodureporta:
UNN turns out highest number of Ph.D graduates in Nigerian university history

Registrar of the UNN Dr C.C Igbokwe(left); Pro-Chancellor Chief Mike Olorunfemi; Representative of the Visitor President Muhammadu Buhari, Ozo Eddy Nwokoye of the Finance and Accounts Dept of the Federal Ministry of Education; Vice Chancellor, Prof. Benjamin Ozumba; Ooni of Ife Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi Akande; Group Managing Director Access Bank Plc Herbert Wigwe; at the 48th convocation ceremony of University of Nigeria PHOTO: MARCEL MBAMALU

Access Bank MD Wigwe, Stanley, Chukwudozie bag honorary doctorate degrees.
Zik’s wife becomes Professor Emeritus.

Four hundred and eighty (480) graduands on Saturday received Postgraduate degrees and diplomas of the University of Nigeria in what the Vice-Chancellor, Professor Benjamin Ozumba, described as “the highest by any Nigerian university in one year.”

The university also conferred honorary doctorate degrees on three distinguished Nigerians. The Group Managing Director of Access Bank Herbert Wigwe, former executive secretary of the Petroleum Products Pricing and Regulatory Agency (PPPRA) Mr. Reginald Chika Stanley, and then the Managing Director of the Dozzy Group, Sir Daniel Chukwudozie, who bagged the degrees, said they felt ‘greatly honoured’ to be associated with the University of Nigeria in such capacity. Ozumba in an exclusive chat with The Guardian, said the honour conferred on the three Nigerians was “not a knee-jerk decision” but a product of careful appraisal of their contribution to the nation and mankind. He specifically pointed out Wigwe’s successful efforts in moving Access Bank to its “present status as one of the top banks from 16th position to number six in just 10 years.” He said the banker’s idea of establishing a chair for the university was worthy of emulation.

The vice chancellor also described Reginald Stanley as a successful Nigerian who served the country as a technocrat and has, since his retirement, continued to make a positive impact in the private sector. Ozumba said the third awardee, Chukwudozie, was a philanthropist who had made an immense contribution to the growth and welfare of many Nigerians.

At least, 480 of the 2,113 graduands, who were conferred with postgraduate degrees of the university by the Chancellor and Ooni of Ife, Oba Adeyeye Enitan Ogunwusi Akande, were Ph.D candidates.

Eleven retired professors of UNN, one of who were Professor Uche Azikiwe, the wife of the founder and wife of Nigeria’s first president, the late Nnamdi Azikiwe, were elevated to the university’s club of “Emeritus Professors of the University of Nigeria.”

Vice-chancellor Ozumba said the 480 doctorate degree awardees represent 22.7 percent of the 2,113 postgraduates who, like their 9,702 first degree and diploma counterparts, had fulfilled the standard requirements of character and learning as stipulated in the school’s regulations. Describing the figure as ‘unprecedented’ and ‘remarkable,’ the vice chancellor explained that the significant increase in the number of postgraduate degrees awarded at last weekend’s graduation “reflects a deliberate response to the mandate given to first-generation universities to increase the enrolment of postgraduate students. “I’m quite pleased that my staff have been able to adapt to the additional challenge placed upon them by the increased enrolment without necessarily compromising on the standard for which the university was known,” Ozumba told The Guardian in a chat on Sunday.

The (grand finale) second day of the 48th convocation ceremony was set aside for the purpose of conferring the postgraduate degrees and diplomas. It followed the previous day’s event at which 9,702 were awarded first degrees, diplomas and certificates of the university.

Source: https://guardian.ng/news/unn-turns-out-highest-number-of-ph-d-graduates-in-nigerian-university-history/?

To join the armada of unemployed yoots after wasting a year doing nysc

Smh
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by bush112(m): 7:48pm On Dec 02, 2018
hollamanng:
legends will understand
u do u like dis
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by vioment: 7:50pm On Dec 02, 2018
Yawns. Degree without credibility.

No be me and you dey here since dey see and hear about nigerian graduates since 1980 reach now, wetin dem dun do for nigeria since then.

1 Like

Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by Academicwizman(m): 8:24pm On Dec 02, 2018
Post modified due to erroneous conclusion.
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by PropertyDeals(f): 8:26pm On Dec 02, 2018
This is interesting.

But what's more interesting is the offer in my signature below as profitable as it is. Click on the WhatsApp Chat link in for inquiries.
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by Hardey466(m): 8:26pm On Dec 02, 2018
Hi FAM
My name is Mustapha Oluwakayode Emmanuel, a student of University of Ibadan. I'm applying to be @ubagroup campus ambassador

Please Like| Comment| Share| Tag

#ubagroup
#ubacampusambassador
#ubacampusambassador2018

Thanks��

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bq2tCM_F7wP/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=m8zoryvckuz8
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by OzziOhinoyi(m): 8:35pm On Dec 02, 2018
Nice feat from my Alma mater.
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by Armageddon2020: 9:13pm On Dec 02, 2018
You English speaks volume of the the kind of graduate you are and the kind of University you attended, and also lends credence to the fact that those PhD may have been bought since you graduated from the same school. CORRECTION: 'sell certificate' and not 'sale certificate'.
mrvitalis:

I'm a graduate of unn ....so u should know unn don't sale certificate

Don't let them sale u fake certificate ooh

1 Like

Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by femi4: 9:19pm On Dec 02, 2018
480 pure water not PhD

PhD is not for every Tom, Dick and Harry
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by mrvitalis(m): 9:25pm On Dec 02, 2018
Armageddon2020:
You English speaks volume of the the kind of graduate you are and the kind of University you attended, and also lends credence to the fact that those PhD may have been bought since you graduated from the same school. CORRECTION: 'sell certificate' and not 'sale certificate'.

If foreign language is what you use to gauge a graduate then your education was a pure waste and I'm super sure u can't be a lion

Now run along son
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by sekembaakesan(m): 9:40pm On Dec 02, 2018
How many Igbo are among them?

Crime Republicans

Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by DoTheNeedful: 10:03pm On Dec 02, 2018
ayofag:
This face looks familiar. Can someone help with the identity pls?

That's Emeka Wogu(former minister of labour and productivity under GEJ)
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by chukshobayo: 10:11pm On Dec 02, 2018
Bossontop:
undecided
480 Ph.D wetin??.....na so e easy??

did you say easy? I laff, some of them have been doing it from 3-15 years combine all together will make up the sum of the PH.D graduates. My kinsman spent 6 years and graduated with them yesterday. Omo, Nna forget o. Nigerian education no be am. dem like to waste person time, na im ASUU get mind dey do strike meanwhile dem no dey look student tears make dem graduate them.
Re: UNN Turns Out 480 Phd Graduates, The Highest In Nigerian University History by Spatta: 10:21pm On Dec 02, 2018
Fraudulent Phd, If it is coming from OAU or UI we can trust the Phd But from UNN I am sorry there is no substance there, A school where education can be purchased,
I apologize i hate to say that a Phd in UNN is worthless with present academic realities

I know UNN alumni will come for my head except the few who knows what Education in Nigeria used to be
But again the Students of OAU and UI will agree with me that the rigors of acquiring such eminence is not a Joke

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

UTME Candidates Won’t Score Zero, Even When Absent – JAMB / Cultists Are Threatening Me In My School / Unaab 2nd List Is Out: Check Your Status Now:

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.