Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,521 members, 7,808,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:59 PM

Why I Have Serious Issues With Churches Spending Too Much Money On Auditoriums. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why I Have Serious Issues With Churches Spending Too Much Money On Auditoriums. (408 Views)

Is This The Issue With Churches Or Deeper Life Alone? / List Of The Largest Evangelical Church Auditoriums: First Three Are In Nigeria / Top 5 Largest Church Auditoriums In Nigeria (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Have Serious Issues With Churches Spending Too Much Money On Auditoriums. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 02, 2018
First of all, I will like to let everyone know that I'm not against anyone building a worship ground. I will discuss this issue from two perceptives; Firstly by using the Bible and seocondly by Economic signifance.

1. Using the Bible: We have to first of all accept that the church today is meant to make reference to the church of the apostles. What ever we do, we must make the church of the apostles a blueprint.
The main purpose of any religious gathering is to edify her people and not to build edifices. We really need to understand what "church" means.
"The Church of the Bible is not a cold, stone building, but a group of warm and loving people specially chosen by God" you and I are meant to be the church.
When Jesus said, “… I will build My church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it” (Matthew 16:18), He was saying the Church—His chosen people and not a physical structures.
So if the church are the people, why not invest in the people instead of physical structures. The model of the early church of the apostles was modelled to build people and not to build edifices, it was modelled to share every church resource equally amongst members.
So what happened to all these today?

2. We have to note that, spending humongous sums on edifices takes a lot of money out of our "not very healthy" economy. Any huge sum of money that goes into church structures has little economic importance and will hardly add any economic value. Those buildings will not employ many paid workers and churches don't pay tax hence spending hugely on churches create an economic deficit (don't take this emotionally, it's the truth). Let me make an example out of this: you have N1million in your household and you decided to use N500,000 to get a car, that money was spent on a liability unless you intend using the car to generate revenue, as long as it's for private use, it has no economic importance to your household because it doesn't generate any revenue. We cannot afford to spend huge sums of money on liabilities at this point of our life as a country.

The money spent on building those churches will make economic importance if they would be invested on the members (who are actually the church). When you edify your members by empowering them, you will succeed in creating a ripple effect that will in turn edify the economy and the society at large. Remember that's the essence of church from the onset (from the time of the apostles). Our pool of money must circulate effectly and spending huge sum of bulding churches is a threat to that as this perturb circulation and makes it stuck in a liability, they only way to circulate the money is to invest in your members.

We know the government is bad, it's not an excuse for the church to forfeit their moral and societal responsibilities. If the government is bad and the church is irresponsible, so who do run to?

Like I said, building churches is not bad but that's not the primary purpose of the church. Building big churches with unedified and unempower members is total waste morally, economically and biblically. We can start building such churches when we have substantially built our people.
Re: Why I Have Serious Issues With Churches Spending Too Much Money On Auditoriums. by luvmijeje(f): 9:21pm On Dec 02, 2018
Personally I don't have issue with it. My issue is with those who have issue with it. They are only bother about the size and the money being spent.

The day the critics stand up to to condemn every single religion center...... Church, mosque, shrine irrespective of the size, then I'll know they are not hypocrite.
Re: Why I Have Serious Issues With Churches Spending Too Much Money On Auditoriums. by baba4dgirls: 9:44pm On Dec 02, 2018
You sound ridiculous OP.
In the same Bible you quoted, Solomon built a temple for God. Made with Gold. I guess you forgot that.

It will also be hypocritical of you, if you are one of those who slammed TB Joshua during the period of that building collapse.
Most of you blamed him for accommodating too many people in the building. Guess if he builds a bigger house today, you will still cry.

Lastly, What state are you from? You don't complain when government spending billions of tax payers money to build stadiums that are rarely used, but you feel bad when a church build an edifice that's used daily.

You will still complain of noise if the church decides to open a branch close to your house instead.

Abeg go rest. Opinionated Fc.
Re: Why I Have Serious Issues With Churches Spending Too Much Money On Auditoriums. by Nobody: 10:06pm On Dec 02, 2018
baba4dgirls:
You sound ridiculous OP.
In the same Bible you quoted, Solomon built a temple for God. Made with Gold. I guess you forgot that.

It will also be hypocritical of you, if you are one of those who slammed TB Joshua during the period of that building collapse.
Most of you blamed him for accommodating too many people in the building. Guess if he builds a bigger house today, you will still cry.

Lastly, What state are you from? You don't complain when government spending billions of tax payers money to build stadiums that are rarely used, but you feel bad when a church build an edifice that's used daily.

You will still complain of noise if the church decides to open a branch close to your house instead.

Abeg go rest. Opinionated Fc.
Solomon didn't build a church, he built a Jewish temple, Christianity wasn't established on the basis of priesthood like the era of Solomon. The perfect example of Christianity is the era of Jesus and the apostles.
Stop cherrypicking the bible and do the right thing

You still didn't disprove anything, you are just being emotional about it.
Re: Why I Have Serious Issues With Churches Spending Too Much Money On Auditoriums. by baba4dgirls: 10:27pm On Dec 02, 2018
nwabekeyi:
Solomon didn't build a church, he built a Jewish temple, Christianity wasn't established on the basis of priesthood like the era of Solomon. The perfect example of Christianity is the era of Jesus and the apostles.
Stop cherrypicking the bible and do the right thing

You still didn't disprove anything, you are just being emotional about it.
Please what's the difference between a church and a temple?
If this church was built in a different country, I'm sure most of you would want to travel there to worship.

I'm not been emotional, I'm just telling you that what you wrote is nonsense.
Re: Why I Have Serious Issues With Churches Spending Too Much Money On Auditoriums. by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 02, 2018
baba4dgirls:

Please what's the difference between a church and a temple?
If this church was built in a different country, I'm sure most of you would want to travel there to worship.

I'm not been emotional, I'm just telling you that what you wrote is nonsense.
you are the church, the temple is the physical structure.
Invest in the church, not the temple. The temple doesn't exist in christendom. The era of Solomon is not obtainable in Christianity.

I still think you are emotional

(1) (Reply)

How To Watch The Experience Lagos 2018 Concert Live Stream Online / Antichrist Revealed. / APOSTLE AROME OSAYI: Nigeria Will Wear A New Garment And The New Nigeria Will...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.