Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,262 members, 7,807,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:14 PM

Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism (36034 Views)

Oyedepo The Great / Bishop Kukah: No President In World Can Be Irresponsible As Nigerian President / Bisi Alimi: "Pastor Adeboye Is Irresponsible And Vile" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by xenoo(m): 5:21am On Dec 05, 2018
I swear na jobless fools full this nairaland.
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by hakeem4shi(m): 5:24am On Dec 05, 2018
bofia1:
[color=#000099][/color]

Insulting Bishop Oyedepo will never make you an achiever in any way. You better mind your tongue when it comes to talking carelessly against a man that carries what you need.
You are a bigger fool to think insulting a chronic pulpit politician who saw what he will miss out again if Buhari was reelected and choose to continue to misfire as he did in 2015. God is not like you, I know he knows what is right. Go to cannanland/covenant and see the corruption, and you are here talking thrash. He will keep quite again and hide in shame when God perfects Buhari reelection in 2019. You lots and your demi god always think you are the only one who serves God and we others are created to be nothing. But you know God's patient outgrows your stupidity. We shall see his great work in 2019 when he will deliver Nigeria from crooks on pulpits.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Usteen(m): 5:51am On Dec 05, 2018
Anybody saying pastors should stay away from politics is just plain mumu
. By the way.. This is almost the worst post of seen on NL. do you mean he is not a Nigerian and should keep quiet? He as a foremost religious leader needs to be a voice for the millions of people he Shepards
. Let me remind you.. All you half baked. Quasi. Christians.. All the men of God in the bible were aws talking against the political rulers of their time.. Moses., Daniel, Elijah, Samuel, John the Baptist, All the apostles.. Including Christ.. So why should they keep quiet and watch the country go to ruins.. And who told you there's no chance that person there isn't Buhari..

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by dgee1(m): 6:29am On Dec 05, 2018
Avater0147:
If you don't know what to say then shut the Bleep up. while should our pastors stop meddling with politics?? are they not a citizens as well?
do you think we can just be praying fire fire fire and expect it to work when we are not doing things rightly? God must not do for men what men are supposed to do for themselves.
Listen Mr Man, if you don't know or have anything to say then shut that gutter in your face. you are talking about fake news and you are here misquoting what the man of God said. bros abeg go fine work do.

Spot on! He just dished out original fake news. There is no point responding to people like him. Its a free world.
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by surveyProf(m): 6:33am On Dec 05, 2018
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by djon78(m): 6:48am On Dec 05, 2018
Africa Africans

Why are people criticising the Bishop

I had to go and watch the video.
The Bishop didn't do any bad thing.
He even gave the advice that the president should address the Nation.

Even Western based media outlets of global reach are now saying the same thing.
I never believed this before, but the way this story is growing day by day, many are beginning to believe the story.

And the way this news is spreading, if this government do not honestly address this issue, it will affect them.

My heart bleeds for this continent and Nation.
From slavery, to colonialism, to subjugation etc.
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by pressplay411(m): 6:54am On Dec 05, 2018
HigherEd:
Call it Satire or whatever you like, my first impression, reading Olatunji Oludare's piece was not of laughter or comedy. What i read was a supposed "well laid, investigative" reportage. Till now i do not see the sattire or sarcasm in that post and i would easily be misled by that article myself.

The only dissonance that gave the post out for me was the supposedly unwarranted tirade against Nnamdi Kanu. But without that i could easily have attempted to 'dig' further.

I understand now that the majority of folks immediately termed the article sattire based on the antecedents of the writer. However, we need to ask the impact of a credible news outlet like The Nation irresponsibly mixing sattire and real journalism together.

Knowing fully well that the general public is fully aware that the Nation Newspaper is a credible journalistic outlet then it should be imperative to label or designate sattirical, sarcastic publications under the comedy section of the newspaper - whether online or offline.

The fact here is this, a leading religious influencer in Bishop Oyedepo was misled by the carelessness of The Nation newspaper and the clarity he sought for from the presidency has professed doubt that may have cascaded into the 5,000 church network of the Winners Chapel ministeries in Nigeria. Citizens and church members in Ogbomoso, Umunede, Ede and other rural hinterlands without access to Twitter, Nairaland have now heard from their revered pastor that their president may be a Jubril from Sudan.

Do we need this in a nation where distrust for the Federal Government is so rife that citizens would readily believe the worst from them? Worse even when such accusations are peddled by leading religious voices.

I have in numerous times called for sober reflection from Nigeria's media houses and bloggers to ensure news dissemination is done with utmost respect. A news made by Vanguard, Linda Ikeji during the last election which cited Bishop Oyedepo claiming to open the gates of hell is another typical example of how poor journalism continue o divide us and threaten our peaceful existence. Till today, that news report is still being circulated and reechoed in social media circles despite the recall made by the various news outlet. We thank God there was no violence in reaction to that particular fake news, but make no mistake that particular fake news could have put the lives of many Christians in jeopardy.

To the clergy, i humbly plead that our pastors, priests, bishops should cease from meddling in political issues. Let us imbibe the character of Pastor Adeboye who has been a father to all and a bridge builder who refuses to make political statements. Let the Nigerian people make their decisions and live with the consequences! You are Nigerians and entitled to your opinions on the political situation of the Country but in respect of Christ and the safety of Christians
all over Nigeria please speak your opinions in the comfort of your rooms and not on the pulpit to avoid needless controversies.

From the days of the prophets- Daniel, Joseph, Elijah, Elisha, Nathan, etc God has always wanted his people in government. In fact God doesn't only want us to comment alone, He wants us to be politicians, judges and presidents.
How else do you expect His kingdom to come in Nigeria?
A vice president can't do it alone, we need more transformed Christians in political offices.

Do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world will be judged by you, are you unworthy to judge the smallest matters? Do you not know that we shall judge angels? How much more, things that pertain to this life?
1 Corinthians 6:2-3

Is it a delicate and sensitive issue? Yes.
But fear has always been the tool of the enemy against believers.
Which is why, Without Faith it is impossible to please God.
We need to start taking actions lest evil overtakes us individually and nationally.
God help us all. And may His kingdom reign in our hearts, our lives and our nations in Jesus name.
Amen.
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by rayopt(m): 7:37am On Dec 05, 2018
HigherEd:

Valid point. They should all stay away from politics. Whether credible news or not i think he should just do like Oyakhilomhe, Olukoya and avoid Nigerian politics completely.

I think it is time the Pentecostal movement gets a structure. The govt should give PFN or CAN the powers for self regulation in line with whatever Christianity means to all of us and document it as a constitution. Watching a mentally disturbed 'pastor' slam members in church is very heart breaking and a mockery to this religion. Such kind of church ought to be closed immediately and members dispersed but CAN or PFN has no such powers.

There is chaos in the church formation and it keeps me awake at night - everyone does as they please and make a mockery of the system. There is no accountability on church income, by now a reformed PFN or CAN should have forced her members to make annual disclosures on church income and expenditure.

There ought to be regulations from CAN forcing bakare, osinbanjo and okotie and the likes to temporarily step aside before vying for office.

What about regulations banning politicians from contributing to church projects

Churches should also start having accountable leadership. I expect winners supreme council would ban further political commentaries by any of its leaders but i know that wouldn't happen as our pastors are too powerful than the structures meant to hold them accountable.

nice post

but I can't agree with the fact that bishop needs to stay out of politics.
this country needs deliverance from the strongholds of religion. .
bishop is a man and a sinner like everyone of us. .he has the right to sin and make mistakes as well as the right to the same abundant grace. what he has differently is the title, position and an history of achievement that we strivers are still longing for.
so therefore, like every man, he must speak his mind so that I can av access to his opinion and perception.
Nigerians are simply gullible!!! and ignorant!!! adeboye is Bishop's role model but that doesn't mean he has to speak one word at a time. Adeboye is my role model doesn't mean that I like his message. if u get my meaning
that's how one mumu says she is leaving rccg cos of osibanjo. thats gross!!! so cos ur pastor is Bishop means he must think and behave like u to get your approval? and you are........?
Nigeria needs deliverance from religion ooo

all things being equal. .all this Na waste of time cos I see #GloryAhead for this country be it atiku or buhari. . . #VoteTheSweeterPain2019

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by fuke(m): 8:02am On Dec 05, 2018
[quote author=HigherEd post=73542006]Call it Satire or whatever you like, my first impression, reading Olatunji Oludare's piece was not of laughter or comedy. What i read was a supposed "well laid, investigative" reportage. Till now i do not see the sattire or sarcasm in that post and i would easily be misled by that article myself.

The only dissonance that gave the post out for me was the supposedly unwarranted tirade against Nnamdi Kanu. But without that i could easily have attempted to 'dig' further.

I understand now that the majority of folks immediately termed the article sattire based on the antecedents of the writer. However, we need to ask the impact of a credible news outlet like The Nation irresponsibly mixing sattire and real journalism together.

Knowing fully well that the general public is fully aware that the Nation Newspaper is a credible journalistic outlet then it should be imperative to label or designate sattirical, sarcastic publications under the comedy section of the newspaper - whether online or offline.

The fact here is this, a leading religious influencer in Bishop Oyedepo was misled by the carelessness of The Nation newspaper and the clarity he sought for from the presidency has professed doubt that may have cascaded into the 5,000 church network of the Winners Chapel ministeries in Nigeria. Citizens and church members in Ogbomoso, Umunede, Ede and other rural hinterlands without access to Twitter, Nairaland have now heard from their revered pastor that their president may be a Jubril from Sudan.

Do we need this in a nation where distrust for the Federal Government is so rife that citizens would readily believe the worst from them? Worse even when such accusations are peddled by leading religious voices.

I have in numerous times called for sober reflection from Nigeria's media houses and bloggers to ensure news dissemination is done with utmost respect. A news made by Vanguard, Linda Ikeji during the last election which cited Bishop Oyedepo claiming to open the gates of hell is another typical example of how poor journalism continue o divide us and threaten our peaceful existence. Till today, that news report is still being circulated and reechoed in social media circles despite the recall made by the various news outlet. We thank God there was no violence in reaction to that particular fake news, but make no mistake that particular fake news could have put the lives of many Christians in jeopardy.

To the clergy, i humbly plead that our pastors, priests, bishops should cease from meddling in political issues. Let us imbibe the character of Pastor Adeboye who has been a father to all and a bridge builder who refuses to make political statements. Let the Nigerian people make their decisions and live with the consequences! You are Nigerians and entitled to your opinions on the political situation of the Country but in respect of Christ and the safety of Christians
all over Nigeria please speak your opinions in the comfort of your rooms and not on the pulpit to avoid needless controversies.

[/q

If you didn't know that piece was satire then stop reading Newspapers.
The G.O. goofed big time.

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by gudugudumeje: 8:04am On Dec 05, 2018
And socia evils Ps.Adeboye and all of them look away from. They pander to socicl evils and its twists since 1999...
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by DrGabbi(m): 8:07am On Dec 05, 2018
Daviddson:
Forget about Oyedepo now, let's talk about your own failure to see satire in the piece. The beginning of the article reads: Then this one too: Now can you still not see the satire there?

Thank you oooo!!!

3 Likes

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by DrGabbi(m): 8:09am On Dec 05, 2018
yakson123:
if you are a student of history you will not ask that ministers should stay out of affairs of a country
Prophets are the voice of any country right from old till the world will end
You have not even seen political apostles will Arise to silence all this evil men in power today
My brother again i commend the likes of oyedepo for beenthe voice of the voiceless

Please be specific o. Which countries and which world?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by mfm04622: 8:20am On Dec 05, 2018
HigherEd

You are blaming the writer for Oyedepo's lack of comprehension?
Continue!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by efeski(m): 8:49am On Dec 05, 2018
a leading religious influencer in Bishop Oyedepo was misled by the carelessness of The Nation newspaper and the clarity he sought for from the presidency has professed doubt that may have cascaded into the 5,000 church network of the Winners Chapel ministeries in Nigeria....

oga go and sit down
whose fault is it that Oyedepo cannot appreciate satirical humor?
2nd base jare

The danger here you should be highlighting is blind followership which would make a great number of ibos to swallow hook line and sinker such spurious statements from charlatans like Nnamdi Kanu and his foolish diatribes such as the jibrin-from-sudan narrative.

Oyedepo should do the honorable thing by apologising that he mis read the article next sunday QED

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by Epiczi(m): 9:31am On Dec 05, 2018
He should know that some winners are APC members.l refused to attend this year shiloh and if he continue in this manner,l might find another place of worship

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by koladebrainiac(m): 9:48am On Dec 05, 2018
alezzy13:

Stop this nonsense. The respected MOG goofed on this one. LEts just accept and move on. I didn't have to reach the Kanu mention before I knew it a satire. Just the first two or three lines gave it away.

My respect for the man has not diminished, nonetheless.
dont blame the Man of God,na the devil mislead him. Remember the big prophet who the devil confused to give false prophet in the bible. lol

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by GSA01: 11:33am On Dec 05, 2018
The point here is that the Satire writer and the Nation newspaper Misled the Pastor with a joke on a very critical issue. But the pastor Oyedapo shouldn't have gone that far by asking members to pray against a new form of colonialism. Knowing fully well that the Nigerian Polity is all tensed up on this falsehood.
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by GetCofOProperty: 12:36pm On Dec 05, 2018
Epiczi:
He should know that some winners are APC members.l refused to attend this year shiloh and if he continue in this manner,l might find another place of worship
Epiczi:
[b]Do You Know There Are Good Locations (100% Dry) where you can acquire your landed property in Ibeju-Lekki? Yes, You acquire with peace of mind. Ibeju-Lekki is after Ajah It's all about buying rightly through professional Realtors who know where best to buy fitting your budget. Many of them even appreciate very fast up to 100% value appreciation between 12 and 18 months. Now compare that with putting that same value even on fixed account in a bank, the highest you can get is 15% annual interest. If you know, you know. One thing you should note is that Landed properties NEVER depreciates, it'll always appreciate and the %appreciation all depends on which location you're buying. Also homes/apartments/houses and lands are available on sale in great locations (any location you may request).

If interested In Our Property Services, you can reach us through the contact in the signature below or click the WhatsApp chat link to chat with us...Free Consulting& Advisory Services Available. Visit Our Island Office on Kilometre 38, Lekki-Epe Expressway (Fatgbems Filling Station) Awoyaya, by MayFair Garden. Acquire Good Lands & Properties/Houses In Locations of Your Choice With Peace of Mind And Also Fitting Your Budget. Call/WhatsApp +234(0)8027390046, 08034113771.
[/b]
Re: Oyedepo, The Media And The Power Of Irresponsible Journalism by ashjay001(m): 6:21am On Dec 06, 2018
Corrinthians:
Oyedepo wasn't MISLEAD by anybody.

The pained crook who just can't wait to get his filthy hands back into the nation's treasury simply did what his heart of hearts told him to do, something every other pdp goon would do any day any time.

Those trying to excuse the idiot citing a "misleading article" are also idiots as far as I can see.

Nonsense.

And jagbajantis!angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

A Catholic Priest Celebrates Christ In A Traditional Way In Anambra / Xenophobic Attacks: Apostle Suleman To Airlift Nigerians From South Africa / No One Should Be Arrested In Nigeria For Possessing Charms

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.