Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,291 members, 7,780,680 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:23 PM

ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 (11787 Views)

NASU Directs University Workers, Others To Begin Strike Over IPPIS / ASUP To Begin Indefinite Strike Monday / ASUP To Begin Indefinite Strike November 13 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by Positivist: 12:05am On Dec 05, 2018
The Academic Staff Union of Polytechnics (ASUP) has declared that it would begin an indefinite strike from Wednesday, 12th December. This is as the strike by university lecturers clocked a month today.

In a phone interview with EduCeleb.com on Tuesday, the National President of ASUP, Usman Dutse said that this had become imminent because the Federal Government had failed to meet the demands of the polytechnic lecturers.

Prior to this impending strike, the union had on 2nd October issued a 21 day ultimatum to the government before it extended it to November but did not eventually go strike.

But Mr Dutse said that the proposed strike later this December would be total and indefinite. This further emphasises the resolution of the 93rd National Executive Council meeting reached at the Yaba College of Technology, Lagos last week.

“Government has failed to implement and fulfil agreements it reached with the union as contained in the memorandum of understanding signed,” he said.

EduCeleb.com recalls that after ASUP last went on strike in November 2017, the Federal government had reached an agreement to implement the recommendations of the 2014 NEEDS assessment for the strike to be suspended fifteen days after.

The agreement particularly highlighted the need for increased funding of polytechnics.

Dutse, however, gave other reasons too bordering on the roles of state governments and the National Assembly.

“The issue of the funding of the institutions has always been a major concern. After government conducted the NEEDS assessment in 2014, it promised to implement it. Years after, there is no designed roadmap to implement that.”

“The institutions are not funded. The states are even worse because state governments just establish schools without actually funding those schools. So, no infrastructure is in place,” he added.

He said that the bill meant to review the act on the establishment of polytechnics in the country was yet to be passed by the National Assembly, hoping that the strike would also help fast track its passage.

The ASUP president also alleged that some state governments were owing salaries for up to 14 months just as institutions victimise union leaders who voice out against what he termed injustice.

“We have states that are owing about 14 month salaries. Some owe eight months,” he said.

He gave instances of Abia, Benue, Ogun, Osun, Edo, Kogi as states owing up to as long as 14 months.

As for institutions where members were being victimised, he mentioned Delta State Polytechnic, Ogwuashi Uku; Osun State Polytechnic, Iree; and Adamawa State Polytechnic, Numan as instances.

Dutse also hoped that the strike would make government look into improving the condition of service and the payment of additional allowances government owed polytechnic lecturers.

Source : https://educeleb.com/asup-strike-december-12/

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by babyfaceafrica: 5:37am On Dec 05, 2018
nice decision

8 Likes

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by OluwabuqqyYOLO(m): 5:59am On Dec 05, 2018
ASUU and ASUP at the same time? This country has failed.

33 Likes

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by duduade: 6:21am On Dec 05, 2018
ASUU, COEASU and ASUP

It's OK..

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by projectreserve2: 6:50am On Dec 05, 2018
Download Free Project Topics & Materials Online...Click on the link in my Signature Now
Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by lilmax(m): 6:58am On Dec 05, 2018
what is asup? �

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by Nobody: 8:28am On Dec 05, 2018
ASUP is just out to waste the lives of these innocent young students. The last time it tried something like this, it was 11 months without response from the government. Institutions withdrew one after the other including the polytechnic where the president belonged. Affliction should not rise a second time.

9 Likes

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by castrokins(m): 9:07am On Dec 05, 2018
It Is Finish!

1 Like

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by JayromeWorld: 9:07am On Dec 05, 2018
Lets save our Girls/Women

Please inform all your family and friends not to use tissue anyhow, thank God we have tissue of N50 only, please buy one and give to your daughters to avoid them using the ones in public places like fast foods, banks, etc. Evil men do replace the one already there with their own tissue that God knows what they have done with, so when we use it, we dance to their tone. Go out with your tissue, and if u forget it and must have to urinate, wear your undies like that, do not bother cleaning. Send this to all your friends, especially ladies. God bless you as you save a soul.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by MJBOLT: 9:07am On Dec 05, 2018
when is NL going on strike?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by HAROLDWILSON: 9:08am On Dec 05, 2018
Atiku's fault

1 Like

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by Mufasa27(m): 9:09am On Dec 05, 2018
Lol, the country is in disarray

Who is the president gonna blame this time around
Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by joeyswift(m): 9:10am On Dec 05, 2018
If eedris abdulkarim can sing jaga jaga during obj ''s tenure then under this jibril ''s tenure it will be kolo mental. Everybody dey go strike, abeg make food no go strike

1 Like

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by technuel: 9:11am On Dec 05, 2018
What is really going on in this country.
Umu Igbo kwenu! Invest Home! You can now invest in Tehilla Garden Estate Owerri
Call 09024887335 for more information.

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by bujebudanu1(m): 9:12am On Dec 05, 2018
If you have money for private.just enroll and graduate in peace

4 Likes

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by theoldpretender(m): 9:12am On Dec 05, 2018
Same issues in Universitres....same issues in polyutechincs.

In my opinion...government should privatise all the universites...and redirect funding to primary,secondary and polytechinics....

Polys are crucial to our techinical development...and should not be allowed to increase fees.
Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by Naijawebmaster: 9:13am On Dec 05, 2018
Wakanda country is this! I sense a revolution very soon.
Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by Pruwa: 9:14am On Dec 05, 2018
What is all this.everywhere strike!!!
Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by Isobug: 9:17am On Dec 05, 2018
This is not strike.....They should strike when the government will feel it not on festive period like this. Now the government will not even listen to them until mid or even late January
Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by theoldpretender(m): 9:17am On Dec 05, 2018
OluwabuqqyYOLO:
ASUU and ASUP at the same time? This country has failed.

No, ASUP does not want you guys to pay high school fees....which is the inevitable result of government not being able to increase funding.

And let'sface facts....government is not going to increase funding. By my estimate,polys need at least N2 trillion yearly to be adequately funded. Universites too need the same amount. Our budget is N9 trillion. You do the math.

1 Like

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by neolboy(m): 9:18am On Dec 05, 2018
lilmax:
what is asup? �

The meaning is at the beginning of the news

2 Likes

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by DanDeeBoss(m): 9:18am On Dec 05, 2018

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by Soso990240(m): 9:20am On Dec 05, 2018
I am usually not one who talks about religion or politics but I have chosen to share my thoughts on what I think we all should learn from His Excellency, Mr. Peter Obi (P.O for the purpose of this post).

P.O visited the Adoration Ministry Enugu Nigeria (AMEN) for their Harvest/Bazaar where Rev. Fr. Mbaka (RFM) functions as the Spiritual Director and was under duress by RFM to make a public announcement of what project he would sponsor within the church premises. According to RFM, P.O's declaration would serve as a ticket to win the 2019 elections or determine his prophecy come December 31st, 2018. Trust me, I have consciously chosen not to discuss this particular paragraph for now so let's movel.

I have never been to AMEN but I hear there is always a mammoth crowd but for P.O to stand his grounds, which I perceive is largely dependent on the value system he has built over the years, shows how much of a sound man he is. P.O was patient enough to explain that he would discuss the project to sponsor later in private even after been regarded as stingy and one who would fail the elections already.

P.O has shown himself to be a man who would not compromise even under great pressure. Most of us would have gone fidgeting and pronounced an unrealistic donation just to be cheered by members or seen as amazing.

Now the moral of my post:
-Never let the society put you under pressure. Even if you succumb to it, what is next for you? How will your end be?

- If P.O had been lying to us about his status of integrity, he would have been exposed at AMEN. This is because the pressure was over-the-board. Please, don't pretend about who you really are.

-P.O had smiles all through, calmly explained things to RFM continually and this didn't go well with RFM. I sincerely hope to master this skill because I am on the table of not knowing how to be so calm or smile lavishly when I am hurt. God help me.

I hope you have learnt a thing or two from this piece. We all need a P.O in our lives right?

8 Likes

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by valentineuwakwe(m): 9:21am On Dec 05, 2018
Well what do you expect..strike strikes everywhere....what do you expect when the total election budget of INEC for the 2019 election is greater than the annual Education budget in Nigeria for 2years combined. what a country!

1 Like

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by anambraamaka: 9:28am On Dec 05, 2018
Hmm
Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by mictima(m): 9:30am On Dec 05, 2018
This confirms a national emergency!!!
Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by Princeton92(m): 9:33am On Dec 05, 2018
Buhari/FG, you all are finished!
NLC will soon join again. Hahahha

Re: ASUP To Begin Strike On December 12 by henryobinna(m): 9:42am On Dec 05, 2018
Hehe,

Nigerians make una kuku go strike and seize to be Nigerians

(1) (2) (Reply)

Senate Passes Bill To Upgrade Ilaro Polytechnic To Technical University / Eastern Mediterranean University(emu)-cyprus Fall Admission Has Started! / 2021 Admission Cut Off Marks: JAMB To Determine Candidates’ Fate Today

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.