Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,417 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 02:07 PM

These 4 Tips Will Change Your Writing Forever - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / These 4 Tips Will Change Your Writing Forever (267 Views)

5 Books To Sharpen Your Writing Skill In 2020 / Earn Extra With Your Writing Skills On Social Media. / The Nairaland Literature Sanctuary, The Forever Contest (TNLS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

These 4 Tips Will Change Your Writing Forever by Eazybay(m): 7:45am On Dec 05, 2018
The following 4 tips took me years of writing and observation to collect, but will only take you 2 minutes to learn. Your writing will be better forever.

Refuse to use the word “thing.”

Each thing can be described in more detail. When we don’t we’re just being lazy. Don’t drown the cake in frosting to avoid baking a new one.

Let a device be a device, a trait be a trait, a feeling be a feeling.

Before: “This is the greatest thing my parents taught me.”
After: “This is the greatest lesson my parents taught me.”

No brackets.

Like “thing,” parentheses only weaken what you actually want to say. If you want to say it, say it. If not, don’t.
Whether it’s the brackets that are unnecessary or what’s in them is for you to decide. But one of the two is. At least 99% of the time. Probability is on your side when you ditch them.

Before: “You must pass a (ridiculously hard) course.”
After: “You must pass a ridiculously hard course.”

Fewer prepositions.

Many of us need to free up time these days. But time doesn’t go anywhere on its own. Not up. Not down. You don’t have to pull it. You take it. Or make it.
Don’t free up time. Make time. Don’t move out. Just move. You won’t miss out on the concert. You’ll miss it.

Sometimes we even add two unnecessary prepositions to one verb.
Before: “He wants to meet up with Sarah in the morning.”
After: “He wants to meet Sarah in the morning.”

Eliminate redundant references.

The reader arrived from your last sentence. She’ll remember it. Don’t begin the next one with a preposition or injection. “So” doesn’t say so much, “as before” breaks my flow, “or” repeats the obvious alternative. “Well” means you’re not done thinking, well, take more time to write.

Never reference the end of your previous sentence at the beginning of the next one.
Before: “Writing improves your thinking. With this in mind, I suggest you write daily.”
After: “Writing improves your thinking. I suggest you write daily.”

Finally, it takes a few seconds to improve a sentence. If you want to write a book, that's still a lot of seconds.

PS: Register For The 2019 edition of the Campus Metro National Bee and win 1,000,000. Click here to register: www.metrobee.com.ng
Strictly for students of Nigerian Higher Institutions (Universities, Polytechnics, Colleges of Education).
Study materials are available on the website. All questions will come from the study materials.
Registration is 1,000 naira only. Deadline for registration is Dec 20 2018.
For further Inquiries call: 07069799055

PPS: You'll also get a referral link. So for every friend you invite, you'll get 500naira INSTANTLY!

Re: These 4 Tips Will Change Your Writing Forever by Centino: 10:45am On Dec 05, 2018
Thank heavens for editors.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Explore The Script Of Life / White Man In Town (chapter Sixteen) / Literature Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.