Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,521 members, 7,801,438 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:14 PM

Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu (15414 Views)

Ebube Muonso And Mbaka War Of Words: Ebube Muonso Opens Up / Ebube Muonso And Mbaka War Of Words Update: Ebube Muonso Says Its A Fallacy. Dec / War Between Ebube Muonso And Mbaka Gets Hotter As Christian Faithful Replies Mba (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by VBCampaign: 9:38am On Dec 06, 2018
Oyedepo, Mbaka: A Terrible Day for Religion

By: Deji Yesufu

It was a terrible day for religion in Nigeria this past week as the overseeing Bishop of the Living Faith Churches, David Oyedepo, and the man at Adoration Ministries, Enugu, Fr. Ejike Mbaka, made various gaffes in their sermons that caught the attention of Nigerians. What might have been more tragic about these statements was that these popular charismatics ministers may not have realized the mistakes in their statements. Instead their followers have stood with them, while the pastors utilize age old silence to subdue their critics who have drawn their attention variously to these matters.

David Oyedepo, while ministering to members of his church at Otta, Ogun State, spoke of the growing rumour among Nigerians that an impersonator has taken the place of Muhammadu Buhari, the Nigerian President, at the nation’s seat of power in Abuja. To lend credence to his position, Oyedepo quotes Olatunji Dare article of 27th November, 2018, titled “Buhari’s Double”. Oyedepo, reading from a script, said:

“This disturbing information came from the Nation Newspaper of Tuesday, 27th November 2018, written by one Olatunji Dare, exploded with ‘authoritative assertions’, he said, claiming among others: That President Buhari had died in the U.K. in 2017, whilst he was undergoing medical treatment. HOW? That the entrenched cabal in Aso Rock had procured ‘President Buhari’s double’ in Sudan and pressed him to serve as Nigerian President. What? That the representatives of the ‘Jubril’ family having discovered the gigantic swindle, suddenly showed up in Abuja and demanded to be compensated with power-sharing arrangement at the Federal level in perpetuity plus 50% of Nigerian oil revenues for 10 years in the first instance.”

What the Bishop read was precisely what Mr. Dare wrote. What the revered minister failed to see in the write up was the satire in the whole piece. Olatunji Dare had been discussing the matter of Nnamdi Kanu and his propagating of the “Buhari Double” rumour. Mr. Dare, in his bid to make Kanu’s position sound even more ridiculous, went further to say that the family of Buhari’s impersonator, Jibril, were blackmailing the Nigerian government on the whole matter. Dare made up the satire to make Kanu’s position sound preposterous. This is what David Oyedepo read to his congregation as news!

The other gaffe that made the news in the past week was the one from Fr. Ejike Mbaka of the Adoration Ministries, Enugu. The revered Catholic Charismatic pastor did not conceal his love for money when he took the Nigerian president through his legendary caustic tongue. Mbaka said that he had prayed for the recovery of President Buhari and in return the President should have come to Adoration Ministries to “thank God”. He said no one cheats God and goes free. He warned that Buhari’s illness may return if the President did not come to him and offer thanksgiving.

While many where still in the dark as to the nature of the gratitude the President should offer, Mbaka embarks on a tirade of other political figures. He says that Peter Obi is stingy. That all he could offer his ministry was a miserly half a million naira. He said:

“(Gov. Dave) Umahi (of Ebonyi State) donated 1,000 bags of rice and 1,000 tubers of yam to us, but it meant nothing to me until he handed N10 million cheque to me and promised to build a project for the ministry. This is the type of gesture we require from Obi.”

At the end of the tirade, it was clear that pecuniary reasons were the factors that were engendering the latest statement from the popular Enugu reverend father.

These two incidents have quite unexpectedly revealed certain realities about popular figures in Nigerian religious life. Speaking on the incident, Bamidele Ademola-Olateju gave this advice on her Facebook wall: “…Good education is sweet! Read classics, great biographies & good fiction. You can’t achieve depth by reading; Rich Dad, Poor Dad…” She was saying, in other words, that if David Oyedepo was adept in reading, beyond the prosperity/faith jargon he writes, he would have recognized satire from what Olatunji Dare wrote.

The fact of the matter is that some of the least informed set of people in the country today are Pentecostal Pastors and their followers. Beyond whatever professional career they may be involved with, Pentecostals do not read anything but Prosperity/Faith theological books. At the end, they are usually wholly uninformed when it comes to dealing with other matters in the real world.

On the other hand, and quite unfortunately, Fr. Ejike Mbaka has revealed what many of us have long suspected is the underlying motive for his kind of ministry: MONEY. Mbaka spoke from the abundance of his heart, and since Catholic Charismatics are usually not the object of criticism in the religious sphere, he felt free to speak about the pecuniary undertone of his ministry. Unfortunately for him, he revealed too much.

In November this year, I was in Enugu to market my book Victor Banjo. My friends, who were taking me around to see the city, pointed out to me that Mbaka’s bottled water Aqua Rapha was the leading bottled water company in Enugu and environs. In fact it was initially named Healing Waters. But NAFDAC had a running battle with Mbaka and forced him to change the name, so that the public are not deceived to using the water for healing purposes.

Yet, the bottled water is all that Enugu folks drink. Why? They hold that Mbaka’s healing powers are in the water. Besides, the term “Aqua Rapha” is still “healing water” in Greek. That experience with Aqua Rapha remains the only let down to my wonderful experience while visiting the beautiful city of Enugu.

What is my point?

For too long we have centred our attention on Pentecostals and their use of God to make money in ministry. Very few people are commenting on Catholic Charismatics. The fact, as revealed in the latest Mbaka gaffe, is that there is practically no difference in all of them. Mbaka is in this thing for the money; just like his Pentecostal counterparts.

The lesson is simple: men’s hearts are revealed from the multitudes of the words they proclaim. The wise speak little so as to reveal less folly. The foolish utter it all to his own disgrace. It was a terrible day for religion in Nigeria with these various gaffes from David Oyedepo and Ejike Mbaka.

Deji Yesufu is the author of the book Victor Banjo. He can be reached on newdejix@gmail.com

http://mouthpiece.com.ng/oyedepo-mbaka-a-terrible-day-for-religion/

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by Nobody: 9:46am On Dec 06, 2018
@Op

I can see how myopic your conclusions are.

Although some of your reasonings were wellfounded, you turned logic on its head to lump Catholicism with Pentecostal capitalism. grin

David Oyedepo is the head of Winners. Father Mbaka is not the head of the Catholic church.

Spits and walks outta thread angry

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by Nobody: 9:52am On Dec 06, 2018
Am guessing oyedepo is now aware that he messed up big time... Whether he will go public to apologise who knows.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by GavelSlam: 9:56am On Dec 06, 2018
Oledepo apologise?

That'll be the day.

11 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by aolawale025: 9:59am On Dec 06, 2018
Better to let sleeping dogs lie.
Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by GavelSlam: 10:07am On Dec 06, 2018
aolawale025:
Better to let sleeping dogs lie.
Call the dogs out for what they are.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by slawomir: 11:43am On Dec 06, 2018
Isoright
Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by kamez(m): 11:43am On Dec 06, 2018
I don't blame these pastors or Fr mbaka... I blame the gullible zombie members of their congregation who have refused to receive sense from the Holy Spirit to see that most of these pastors are only on a mission to enrich themselves...

read ur bible , compare the lives of ur pastor or spiritual leader to that of Jesus, his apostles and other biblical prophets and judge for urself if u are truly following the right spiritual leader...

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by Guyman02: 11:44am On Dec 06, 2018
I am still surprised that Buharists are not even current with the news.
How can they stupidly go to protest at the US Embassy on a day declared as work free and a day of national mourning in America for the burial of their late former President George Bush (Sr) grin grin

Thats what you get when your leader has no certificate, his followers become blind followers cheesy

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by zlantanfan: 11:44am On Dec 06, 2018
Oyedepo always hated buhari even b4 2015, he once threatened he had the keys to hell and would send buhari supporters there.

For his hate to now turn blinded foolishness that he doesn't even ask for facts nor take time to think so long as it is against his enemy is what amazes me.

He really doesn't even try to be balanced in criticism, he infact he is shamelessly a PDP card carrying member

All these because the private jet pastorprenuers aren't given chance to national treasury as before.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by kolnel: 11:44am On Dec 06, 2018
It’s a pity that the ravaging poverty in the land has made many gullible followers believe in those fake men of money

To them it’s all about the Benjamin’s

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by slightlyMad(f): 11:44am On Dec 06, 2018
Oyedepo is a scammer, how can you support atiku, a theif?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by semasir: 11:45am On Dec 06, 2018
Wàhálà people
Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by lastmessenger: 11:45am On Dec 06, 2018
Yoruba muzlems are coming.their food don done. Useless people.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by SenhorSean(m): 11:45am On Dec 06, 2018
Humans will always be Humans...
Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by Seconsol92(m): 11:46am On Dec 06, 2018
People that doesn't have record before God will just come out and be talking against men of God

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by Ambassadors: 11:46am On Dec 06, 2018
Some people to die dey hungry dem. grin grin
Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by Opinionated: 11:47am On Dec 06, 2018
Greed! Greed! Greed! Greed! Greed! Greed!

A Tale of a Facebook Scammer and ‘Her’ Apple Gifts

Blacks eeh...

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by Nobody: 11:47am On Dec 06, 2018
GavelSlam:
Oledepo apologise?

That'll be the day.

Oledepo indeed shocked

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by bigkahuna704(m): 11:47am On Dec 06, 2018
I've Been A Christian Most Of My Life But Lately These Men Of God Make It Hard For Me Not To Believe They Are Men Of Gold.

7 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by SenhorSean(m): 11:48am On Dec 06, 2018
lastmessenger:
Yoruba muzlems are coming.their food don done. Useless people.
useless post...

7 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by sureheaven(m): 11:48am On Dec 06, 2018
Father mbaka displayed what all men of God are good at.
They're all business men who are after money and will only recognize those who bring them money and goodies.

But Oyedepo's own is the wosrt, total hatred of PMB is all over him. shocked

I'm really disappointed in oyedepo, many of his church members are also disappointed in him. embarassed

6 Likes

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by deboysben(m): 11:48am On Dec 06, 2018
Wetin concern me

Meanwhile

ATIKU and BUHARI be like...

1 Like

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by Nobody: 11:48am On Dec 06, 2018
sad Even though I'm a born again Christian, I'm ashamed that the fraud called Oyedepo has finally gone mad to the extent of peddling falsehood on the pulpit just to discredit the president. Oyedepo has always been an arrogant, irresponsible con artist hiding under Christianity to perpetuate his fraud. This useless man is not the only pastor in Nigeria and his constant attacks on the president means the anti corruption crusade is biting him hard unlike previous regimes that gave him and his likes import waivers and other soft landing. Oyedepo is a disgrace to Christianity and he's way of life is not even Christ like to begin with. The federal government should give him the Elzaky-zaky treatment should Buhari win in 2019. Such a terrible personality should not be walking free as his utterances are a threat to national security. In saner climes, people like Oyedepo will be terminated to the underworld by the FEDS to avoid impending doom. While Muslim leaders all over the country remain mute and non partisan in the political atmosphere, our useless Christian leaders like Mbaka and Oyedepo are bringing shame to the church. I only pity the Gullible members of winners chapel whose brain is pocketed by the fraudulent vermin called Oyedepo sad

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by Peter4naz(m): 11:49am On Dec 06, 2018
#Trending Best moment on PUBG MOBILE
13 KILL & CHICKEN DINNER WON

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=die-l29pA6s
Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by Denikayan: 11:51am On Dec 06, 2018

All I know is that if Oyedepo makes Heaven, We are all going

And Hell will have no use

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by lastmessenger: 11:55am On Dec 06, 2018
SenhorSean:
useless post...
seems someone stole your plastic kettle. Don't be angry. You can borrow from Hakeem
Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by seyigiggle: 11:57am On Dec 06, 2018
oyedepo owes no one an apology.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Oyedepo's Gaffe And Mbaka's Greed By Deji Yesufu by SenhorSean(m): 11:58am On Dec 06, 2018
lastmessenger:
seems someone stole your plastic kettle. Don't be angry. You can borrow from Hakeem
Nt funny.Dont be a kiddo... Grow some sense

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

What Is The Throne Of God? Does God Literally Have A Throne? / Can Atheists Prove God Does Not Exist? / Why Did God Send Satan To Earth???

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.