Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,498 members, 7,781,501 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 03:39 PM

Offa, National Restructure And Her Political Position - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Offa, National Restructure And Her Political Position (442 Views)

President Tinubu Restructure And Creates New Federal Ministries / Crowd March For Funke Akindele As She Declares Her Political Ambition / Only Atiku Can Restructure And Improve Nigeria's Economy - Nwodo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Offa, National Restructure And Her Political Position by Jimsonjaat96(m): 1:24am On Dec 07, 2018
OPEN LETTER TO OFFA COMMUNITY
TITLE: OFFA, NATIONAL RESTRUCTURE, AND HER POLITICAL POSITION

December 2018.

All protocol duly observed.
BACKGROUND TO THE LETTER
Each nation has its important dates and Nigeria is no exception. Such dates mark a fundamental turning point in the lives of such countries. For Britain, the year 1066 occupied a hallowed position being the year which William the Conqueror put a twist on the history of that country. The Americans are enthusiastic about July 4, 1776 which is the date of their country’s independence from Britain. The French remember 1789 as the year of their Revolution, which ushered in the era of equality, liberty and fraternity. The Russians cannot forget 1917 as the year of their own Revolution. Of course, 1914 and 1939 have gone into history as the commencement dates for the First War and Second War, respectively.
For Nigeria, a few dates have etched their mark upon collective memory of the citizens. Thus Nigerians remember 1914 as the year their country came into formal existence in its present shape, following amalgamation of the South and the North protectorates.
Now, it is undiluted believed that that was where the first injustice is done to the natives peoples that make up the just-conceived baby ‘Nigeria’. There are certain things left out, and the foremost of them all is the non-consultation with the natives. The question dying for answer is, ‘‘who signed the Amalgamation pact on behalf of the ‘Nigerians’?’’ Because in 1914 Chief Obafem Awolowo was just 5 years old, Ahamadu Bello was 4, Tafawa Balewa was 2, Nnamdi Azikwe was 10; Aminu Kano and JosephTarka were yet to be born. Thus, if these founding fathers were obviously not signatories to the 1914 pact, then it’s either the Colonial Masters ‘match-made’ us themselves, or gathered some indigenes and made them sign what they [the indigenes] could never understand. Either way, it is evident the decisions on us were made for us. No wonder it has been avalanche of discomforts on the peoples from the onset.
Recently, they have been distress calls make to governments at all levels to let return to our day-one political setting, RESTRUCTURE. Why wouldn’t it be, when the foundation is laid on faulty grounds? Return to true Federalism being canvassed for is seen as a solution to perennial crisis of governance in the country.
Furthermore, based on firm belief in the principle of self-determination it is believed each Region/Zone should adopt internal revenue and those in South-West to be called YORUBA REGION. Each Zone to have its own constitution provided it is not in conflict with the Federal constitution. It now seems settled that because of the diversity of the Nigerian nation, a federation is the most appropriate form of government. A federation implies some federating geographical entities each of them a quasi-nation, coming together under a central to which they surrender certain powers for the protection of their common interests. Thus, powers, which are not expressly ceded to the center, intrinsically belong to the federating entities. That the Yoruba people want a region of their own as a federating unit i.e. a 6-regional structure is not new at all. This is one issue on which a broad consensus has developed over the last 12 years. It was the position canvassed by the Obas, chiefs, Leaders of Thought and the entire people of Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Osun ,Oyo and Ekiti [then still part of Ondo] states in their memorandum to the National Constitutional Conference Commission in May, 1994.
HOW THIS DOES RELATES WITH OFFA?
I have been wondering, and can see that whenever Nigeria return to RESTRUCTURE – I call it ‘Recontructure’ - Offa will fall back with North. North-Central precisely. I am sure I am not the only one in the thought.
I hold it that, Regionalization is not about people who got sown together, it’s about people who genuinely and readily want to be together out of their own accord. It may due to ‘shareness’ of common grounds in history, politics, culture, etc.
Same applies to a country.
Offa people are purely Yoruba. We are not Northerners, we were never Northerners and we shall never be Northerners. The aim-agendum is to secure considerable autonomy for the Yoruba nation within the context of a restructured Nigeria. This would entail the restructuring of the Yoruba political landscape itself. The Yoruba peoples in Kwara, Kogi, Edo and Delta states should be given the right to decide whether they want to join the Western Region/Zone or not. That is where OFFA comes in.

THE ISSUE
Wole Soyinka said, ‘‘you can only cow people, you cannot cow their will’’ [Tell Magazine, No. 28 July 14, 1997]
This letter is written courtesy of burning concerns for impending future of our hometown, Offa. These concerns, I hope to highlight historically and politically.
Historically, without undue repeation, Oyo Empire is divided to four parts, like the four cardinal corners, namely; Ekun-Otun, Eku-Osi, Epo and Ibolo. Prince Olulakun Olalomi Olofagangan [meaning, the real archer] due to his unmatched archery skills, left Oyo to explore the Ibolo part of the empire's lands. He is regarded as the custodian of the Ibolo part of the Empire. The virgin Ibolo lands stresses from the nowadays Ajase-Ippo to Iwo, in Osun state.
The highlight of history above, it is an undeniable fact that Offa is from Oyo, and Oyo is founded by Oranmiyan, the grandson of Oduduwa, the Yoruba progenitor.
The other concern that gives birth to this letter is the tempestuoso [turbulent] waters of the town’s politics. And also of the state the town finds itself in. So, although it is pride of every Offa indigene that he/she is an undiluted Yoruba, its political state is not something to write home about.
The writer of this letter was prompted by genuine concern for his hometown, Offa that he spent up to a month with the late grand palace historian in Oloffa’s palace some two years ago, in person of Mr. Tijani Alarape [Baba Ile Oba] of blessed memory; both in the palace and the man’s house learning about Offa.
Mother Nigeria and Nigeria nationwide and in diaspora are asking for a return to the country’s number one political setting – Restructure. While majority of Nigerians are clamouring for it, Mother Nigeria can be said to be weeping for it. Some still argue that Restructure is unnecessary, some still say it’s long overdue. Different people of differ views.
However, they all seem to have common grounds in no return to militia rule. Because ‘‘to suggest that military is the salvation of any society is to endanger yourselves permanently and endorse the rule of the gun.’’
That is another issue organization, non-governmental organizations [NGOs], concerned bodies have busy themselves on. And while I wouldn’t want to appear unconcernedly to a national issue, I would rather call for a look into its effects on Offa, Headquarters of Ibolo land and tongue of Oyo Empire.
I strongly believe that Offa-Ile, being an Oyo town, suppose be part of South-West, Nigeria, as expressed above, ‘The Yoruba peoples in Kwara…..should be given the right to decide whether they want to join the Western Region/Zone or not.’ Offa is only a town away from the South-West, and for unknown numbers of years, I was made to understand that Offa people have been actively asking their town is not aligned with the South-West. I say, as early as before 1966.
The story is told of when Ahmadu Bello [Sardauna] came to open the then first and the most beautiful Mosque in Offa. [It’s now situated beside Sanni Abba’s house. Sardauna was said to be impressed by the welcome ceremony Offa people organized for him to the extent that he asked them [Offa people] what they wanted most from him and he would give them. He was rightly ready to do whatever they would ask. He and the Northern Staff of Authority. Offa reportedly told him what they wanted most was to be part of the South-West. However, Sardauna didn’t grant it, he was quoted saying,”not an inch of my Father [Northern]’s land would I permit to be part of South-West.
Truly, it’s a story I heard through personal/physical encounter. You, our elders know of these and more things than ever we the younger generation could.
Evidently, one can but see low involvement of the town’s indigenes in politics at state’s level. Offa has forever been denied her dues in political participation. Of course only indigenes can chair the political affairs at local government level. Also some constituencies that inevitably fall to Offa, at state level. History says of only one Offa indigene who rose to reach ministerial post, and one who was a seat less to governor in the state, and a one-time senator of Kwara-South, who were both later relieved of the positions. I remember writing on the senator on my Facebook account thus:
” OFFA AND THE SENATE: I PREACH PEACE
The first and only Offa indigene to become a Senator was the late Alhaji ’Thomade’ Salawudeen. And He was totally removed 8 months after he become a Senator, because the Olushola Saraki (Bukola Saraki's father)'s Dynasty frustrated his Senatorship. Trouble started when Alhaji Thomade spent only 3 months, he got removed by the 6th months. He started arguing/fighting the already-lost wars which eventually become evidently lost by the 8 months.
Yes, it's been so long that even some elderly persons have forgotten whether Thomade's Senatorship was 3, 6 or 8 months. I was born in May, 1996...I guess it's long before then.
Why the story? It's because the incoming elections, especially the Senatorial election, seems to be used to sow seeds of disunity, discord and hatred among the Offa indigene. Architect Lola Ashiru has been contesting for one post or the other before I myself knew what politics was. For one reason or the other which are now at public knowledge, he never gets voted in.
Saheed Popoola didn't decamp to PDP when others were. Even with the alleged enticing 15 million given to the ‘decampees’.
Lola Ashiru has been waiting for years (since early 200s), Saheed Popoola is a proven hand (check his Offa LG Chairmanship records).
I support nobody. I only preach. Offa is known to be a land of peace. Please, let no politics separate us.’’
The point of all these being we were never Northerners, so we can’t be part of the North. Our king wears crown not turban. Let’s strive, approach and address relevant quarters, to achieve what Sardauna visit couldn’t give us. Truly it’s like forcing a bitter pill down the throat. Offa seems in absentia in the state machinery as a government. What then gives assurance we going to be part when the course is changed back to regional setting?
Obviously, I wasn’t born in political heydays of Chief J.S Olawoyin, but he left some marks on the historical Sand of Time through which he could be traced. To me, Chief Olawoyin seemed to have gestured to us that being part of the South-West is the best way. He was a staunch follower of the late sage, Chief Obafemi Jeremiah Awolowo. He, Olawoyin, was even imprisoned alongside Chief Awo.
In 1959, only Asiwaju J.S Olawoyin ‘s voice was heard in the whole of the state challenging the election that got Adamu Attah of the NPN - National Political of Party in. Also the-then HEADLINES newspaper of September 1979 published his name alongside Awolowo, Azikwe, Aminu kano, Tony Enahoro, Fani-Kayode, etc. as people who prominently decided the 1959 elections and were engineers of the 1979’s fate.
That tends to tasks a reasonist’s brain, why on the Earth would a ‘Northerner’ suffer so much with foremost leader of South-West and the head of the opposition? Only the gullible would say he did it because of his political party. At least, Olawoyin and his hometown were not obviously under South-West jurisdiction. Offa is no beneficiary of whatever programme South-West government did. It is said; had Offa been a part of the South-West, Olawoyin would be immortalized and got more than an edifice- structure on his grave. I say, as much recognition as Uncle Bola Ige.
History needs be resurrected, so the labours of our heroes past should not be put to futility.

STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM
Here, there are four [4] possible determinants that may hinder our cause towards move to South-West, Nigeria.
First is unity. No general can fight battle on both ends. It’s about how determined we are to push our cause to make our voice heard and our grievances known. The first step here would be to throw away our differences out through the window. We should harmonize against our social and political differences. It should not be “Offa ti n fa Olofa egbe re l’ese {Offa indigenes draw co-indigenes backward” it should rather be “awon Offa ma n fa ara won mon ra ni {Offa indigenes do wholeheartedly embrace themselves/one another}”.
Differences bring nothing but tragedies. Let words of contempt, ridicule, insults, slander, defamation, be-littleness and bad histories, etc be buried. Histories of inadequacies, imperfections trace to ancestors be forgotten. Let’s reminisce on how many closed doors we willing to open. How many clamour-calls to indigenes, in-laws, friends and well wishers we are willing to make. Should need arises, how many courts cases are we willing to push towards this cause. How many Memorandum of Understanding [MoUs], petitions, letters, meetings, conferences.
As instilled in us from birth, progress of Offa is paramount in our heart. It is second to none.
Secondly, our last neighbour on the South-West part undoubtedly wouldn’t bulge. They never did. Time and history aren’t softening their bitter-ridden heart.
Of course, it is impossible to geographically move their place to our present position and ours to them. How do we convince them of our well wishes? How to tell them we mean no harm? Can they even trust?
I understand the village was meant to be part of Offa Local Government in the Local Government plan from the onset. But they wouldn’t just want to have anything to do with us. Had our beloved neighbour chose us, this exodus to South-West would be a step close to reality.
Thirdly, while ideas in black and white can ignite to action, we shouldn’t ignore what influences of power that-be are capable of. We can hold meetings, seminars, conferences around the world on this cause. We can make submissions in the court, write letters, petitions, MoUs, YET these efforts can be thwart by the known power. It is well known they would do all in their capacities to make sure we gain nothing in this our struggle. We know them as each knows lines of his palm, they well know us too.
Our going would make North-Central two towns less {Offa and that our neighbor}, though it could be said to be insignificant; judging from the number of town the Region has, however no ruler likes to loss a part of his domain. The ruler might think exodus of two could inspire some others. We can all do the Math. Even if Offa decides to use Olusegun Obasanjo’s philosophy of “trying to lead a drunken bull out of an expensive China shop in order to avoid serious damages. “ It maybe marred by some other Yoruba mini-tribes in the state who are most likely to join the “train that’s moving to South-West”. Truly, there are many imponderables to address.
Thirdly, one defect of the legal system is undue delay and adjournments in its judgment delivery. I think same applies to this cause. Apart from enemies that [would] try putting the effort to futility, paperwork process can last a century.
In another development, which I consider the fourth, what instead of exodus, the Yorubas of the state comprises of we the Ibolo, Igbomina, Ekiti, Osi come together and form another Yoruba state: give it whatever name suitable.
Of course, it would be a plus to the South-West.
I know I am not the 1,000th person to have this thought. I don’t think it’s originally mine. I think it’s from publications and or conversations I have had/heard. Maybe moves are in progress concerning it. Just, maybe.
CONCLUSION
Yoruba says, if a singer is unwanted in the village, such doesn’t sing, because if he/she does no one would chorus the song. One doesn’t forcefully push himself/herself to places he/she is unwanted. Even our local government settings have loopholes. Where else is it done that a town in the middle is exclusively made a local government while all places around it are made another local government.
Of course, I belong to the younger generation in the 20s yet I fervently believe that this South-West move is achievable.
When much is said and done, not all is said and done. I want to charge us this day to dig a common cause in the common ground. Squared peg is unfit for round hole.
Peace.

WRITTEN BY: Jimoh Taofik Adekunle-Balogun
Facebook: Jimoh Taofik Adekunle
Jimson Jaat taofik
Phone: 08144510532
SPONSOR: Comrade Owolabi Olayinka
Facebook: Owolabi Olayinka Classic
Phone: 08133702081

SUPPORTED BY:
Prince Afolabi Olayemi Nurudeen
O.S.U National President 2013/2014
Member-Secretary, O.D.U Lagos state chapter
Comr./Miss Ibrahim Mutiat Ayomide {ATM}
Comr. /Miss Ibitoye Nafeezah
Iya Okin, O.S.U home chapter, 2015/2016
Mr. Ajibade Mudashir
O.S.U ABU Zaria 2018/19 President
N.B: All thoughts, ideas and inclinations expressed in this letter belong to the writer. And he bears full responsibility on them. Copies of this letter are sent to Olofa’s palace, ODU, Offamesi, Offa LG Secretariat, concerned persons and corporate bodies

CONSULTED PUBLICATIONS
Iwe Itan Ofa, J.B Olafimihan
Awon Oriki Orile, Adeboye Babalola {1967} ,Press of the Publisher, U.K
Shagari: President by Mathematics, S.L Bolaji {1980}, Automatic Printing Press, Ibadan
The Yoruba Agenda, Ad-hoc Planning Committee {2005}
A Combatant in Government, Brigadier David M. Jemibewon {1978}, Heinemann Educational Books, Ibadan
Draft of the Yoruba Constitution, by Yoruba Constitution Group
Constitution of the Western Nigeria, 1963.
Position Paper of the Oodua People’s Congress, led by Aare Gani Adams, on the proposed National Conference {Sovereignty}
Tell Magazine, No. 28 July 14, 1997 “I Foresee Armed Struggle” – Wole Soyinka
Re: Offa, National Restructure And Her Political Position by Nobody: 2:06am On Dec 07, 2018
Nice write up but I don't see it coming and I don't agree with all wot u just said u making some point but it kinda of abusive of such
Yes u guys are ibolo but I m not in support of d point you make in saying ibolo start from ajase and end in iwo so u tellin me dat even oshogbo is part of those I don't think so sir

You talk about joining forces with ekiti igbomina and stuff u literally saying from offa to iwo should join forces so that another state will b born I can't comprehend dis sir

And again you insite war in ur right up by calling ur neighbor village an indigene of such place will read dis and start to threaten again and you know

But I commend you for d write up but it late to attach to south western part of d country b bless sir

1 Like

Re: Offa, National Restructure And Her Political Position by Jimsonjaat96(m): 5:17pm On Dec 14, 2018
olagbola55:
Nice write up but I don't see it coming and I don't agree with all wot u just said u making some point but it kinda of abusive of such
Yes u guys are ibolo but I m not in support of d point you make in saying ibolo start from ajase and end in iwo so u tellin me dat even oshogbo is part of those I don't think so sir

You talk about joining forces with ekiti igbomina and stuff u literally saying from offa to iwo should join forces so that another state will b born I can't comprehend dis sir

And again you insite war in ur right up by calling ur neighbor village an indigene of such place will read dis and start to threaten again and you know

But I commend you for d write up but it late to attach to south western part of d country b bless sir

Thanks so much for the feedback, I so much appreciate.
This letter I hope you understand is a result of concerns I have for my hometown. I think there's a little hype in their showcase though.
Actually, feedbacks have been pouring in and I appreciate them all. Someone from ODU Lagos Chapter has suggested I write another letter next year all together. I'm to title that "Paper II"
Why not hang out with each other on Facebook? My username is Jimoh Taofik Adekunle
Re: Offa, National Restructure And Her Political Position by Nobody: 1:12am On Dec 15, 2018
Jimsonjaat96:

Thanks so much for the feedback, I so much appreciate.
This letter I hope you understand is a result of concerns I have for my hometown. I think there's a little hype in their showcase though.
Actually, feedbacks have been pouring in and I appreciate them all. Someone from ODU Lagos Chapter has suggested I write another letter next year all together. I'm to title that "Paper II"
Why not hang out with each other on Facebook? My username is Jimoh Taofik Adekunle

Will do that asap

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

2019 Election: Stop Assassinating Tinubu’s Character – Lagos Youths Warn Agbaje / Can A Country Fought And Survived Civil War Two Times? / Lagos To Deliver 3m Votes For APC – Tinubu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.