Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,466 members, 7,808,667 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course (17277 Views)

JAMB 2019- Things You Should Consider When Choosing A School / JAMB 2018- Things To Consider When Choosing A Course/career / Things You Should Consider Before Choosing A University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by AlphaT1(m): 1:41pm On Dec 08, 2018
Jman06:
Hospital pharmacy practice like I stated before needs some improvement. I'm not disputing that. But that doesn't mean all other governmental agencies are same as hospitals. Like I stated before, I have pharmacists in other agencies who are doing fine.
The point of this thread is not even about job satisfaction but about getting the job at all. Job satisfaction is relative! Somebody can be in hospital practice and be satisfied while another person would not.
I know hospital pharmacists who are also into community practice using other pharmacists as superintendents and they are doing well.

You are here complaining while others who graduated since the past 12years have not gotten anything at all.
You wouldn't understand from afar. Do you know up to 50 pharmacists? I have over a 1000 of them as friends. We just concluded the PSN 91st Annual Conference in Ibadan last month where more than 5000 pharmacists gathered to discuss their challenges and the way forward. I own a community premise too (partnership) so automatically am a member of ACPN. All licensed pharmacists belong to at least one technical group/association. All the agencies (where pharmacists are licensed) were there to make presentations about their challenges, d details of which I can't put down here. Like I said hospitals and other public institutions are for the average kind of people.
I don't believe in average and I don't encourage anyone under me to.. I push my interns to the extreme (professionally). They think I am wicked but when they look back afterwards, they appreciate me for helping them become better persons!
If after 12 years of graduation, you are still sitting at home idle then something is wrong with such a person, perhaps he/she is a mediocre. I was lecturing, doing masters and also volunteering with an NGO....I met a guy during NYSC, he read anatomy but was good in maths ..2 yrs after service he was still looking for job...I encouraged him to go into 'statistical analysis'...he was complaining and giving excuses ...I pushed him more and more and he picked it up, he bought books and read, learnt some apps...he started with analysis of just one project and today he is an employer of 2 graduates in his company.
I don't encourage undergraduates (regardless of any course) to have these casual thoughts that they are going to school to come out and have a job....what if the job doesn't come? Can I volunteer? Can I learn a skill? Do I have any talent I can develop? Can I do a business? I taught my wife graphic design myself, she has also learnt video editing, movie make up/prosthesis, and catering services...She never wanted to but I persuaded her, she wanted a bank job that wasn't forthcoming. She is doing very very well today. I have also paid and learnt event planning and interior decor myself. So whenever i am less busy I help her and her staff out. For me learning never stops, education opens your mind to think innovatively! Wherever I live, I make it a point of duty to "push" as many interested unemployed youth as possible into a profitable venture beyond sitting and waiting for a govt job. No course is bad and no one deserves to remain unemployed!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by Tony142: 7:54pm On Dec 08, 2018
Suspect33:
bro, I want to study computer science but wrote waec as a commercial student, what can I do now?

all dey will teach u in the university are theory, so is better u go to a computer training school and learn the practical there, u will b far better than computer science graduate

because dat alone is a skill, it can fetch u money

u are dealing with practical

while tthose half bake graduate were teached only theory
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by spiritualmubi: 8:59pm On Dec 08, 2018
AlphaT1:

Bros job satisfaction is not only about the salary....majority of my coursemates and colleagues (both senior and junior) in those public institutions you mentioned are unhappy with their jobs...I just helped one senior pharmacist moved from Igbobi to Chemonics (NGO) recently, one left Nafdac for malaria consortium etc. This is my 9th year in HSE. I no be small pikin again na....I don reach to advise young ones based on experience and reality....my lecturer mates don reach senior lecturer o bros.......
Good evening sir, the Man of honour, I really need your clarification regarding some issues, please what do you mean by HSE? And to the main ish, I'm currently studying botany but I dont just like the course, tho will be going to 200 level next session. So I want to switch to pharmacy, you said frustration awaits he who opts in for hospital and public institution practice, so what will you advice me to equip my self with for the industrial, ngo & community practice?
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by spiritualmubi: 9:04pm On Dec 08, 2018
spiritualmubi:
Good evening sir, the Man of honour, I really need your clarification regarding some issues, please what do you mean by HSE? And to the main ish, I'm currently studying botany but I dont just like the course, tho will be going to 200 level next session. So I want to switch to pharmacy, you said frustration awaits he who opts in for hospital and public institution practice, so what will you advice me to equip my self with for the industrial, ngo & community practice?
thanks, plus do you mind if i give you a pm, so that we talk? thanks.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by Jman06(m): 9:05pm On Dec 08, 2018
AlphaT1:

You wouldn't understand from afar. Do you know up to 50 pharmacists? I have over a 1000 of them as friends. We just concluded the PSN 91st Annual Conference in Ibadan last month where more than 5000 pharmacists gathered to discuss their challenges and the way forward. I own a community premise too (partnership) so automatically am a member of ACPN. All licensed pharmacists belong to at least one technical group/association. All the agencies (where pharmacists are licensed) were there to make presentations about their challenges, d details of which I can't put down here. Like I said hospitals and other public institutions are for the average kind of people.
I don't believe in average and I don't encourage anyone under me to.. I push my interns to the extreme (professionally). They think I am wicked but when they look back afterwards, they appreciate me for helping them become better persons!
If after 12 years of graduation, you are still sitting at home idle then something is wrong with such a person, perhaps he/she is a mediocre. I was lecturing, doing masters and also volunteering with an NGO....I met a guy during NYSC, he read anatomy but was good in maths ..2 yrs after service he was still looking for job...I encouraged him to go into 'statistical analysis'...he was complaining and giving excuses ...I pushed him more and more and he picked it up, he bought books and read, learnt some apps...he started with analysis of just one project and today he is an employer of 2 graduates in his company.
I don't encourage undergraduates (regardless of any course) to have these casual thoughts that they are going to school to come out and have a job....what if the job doesn't come? Can I volunteer? Can I learn a skill? Do I have any talent I can develop? Can I do a business? I taught my wife graphic design myself, she has also learnt video editing, movie make up/prosthesis, and catering services...She never wanted to but I persuaded her, she wanted a bank job that wasn't forthcoming. She is doing very very well today. I have also paid and learnt event planning and interior decor myself. So whenever i am less busy I help her and her staff out. For me learning never stops, education opens your mind to think innovatively! Wherever I live, I make it a point of duty to "push" as many interested unemployed youth as possible into a profitable venture beyond sitting and waiting for a govt job. No course is bad and no one deserves to remain unemployed!

Bro, you are deviating from the point of the thread. Multiplying one's income sources is a different thing all together! The point is, did your training as a pharmacist give you a job when you finished?? And the answer is yes. Many graduates cannot boast of that. That lecturing job you left is what many people have been fasting and praying for.

I wonder the satisfaction in going to the university to study anatomy only to graduate and go back to learn fashion designing, when the person could have done so with just basic o level education.

The point is, instead of studying some courses that would not train one for a career the person should simply go and learn a skill/trade, unless such person is from a wealthy home and can afford to study further and become a researcher in that field.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by AlphaT1(m): 9:33pm On Dec 08, 2018
spiritualmubi:
HSE means health, safety and environment. I am not saying hospital or public institutions are completely bad but there a lot of challenges there that easily frustrate the very ambitious persons, however, if you are comfortable with an average kind of life, you may find them okay....You would need to be open minded, flexible, curious to learn, think innovation, focussed, strive for academic excellence....Even if your interest is NGO for instance, it may not come easily. You may need to do hospital practice for the mean time while looking out for NGO.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by spiritualmubi: 10:19pm On Dec 08, 2018
AlphaT1:

HSE means health, safety and environment. I am not saying hospital or public institutions are completely bad but there a lot of challenges there that easily frustrate the very ambitious persons, however, if you are comfortable with an average kind of life, you may find them okay....You would need to be open minded, flexible, curious to learn, think innovation, focussed, strive for academic excellence....Even if your interest is NGO for instance, it may not come easily. You may need to do hospital practice for the mean time while looking out for NGO.
I get your point sir, my interest is in industrial pharmacy, then community, thanks sir, that was helpful, my aim is higher than average.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by AlphaT1(m): 10:23pm On Dec 08, 2018
Jman06:

Bro, you are deviating from the point of the thread. Multiplying one's income sources is a different thing all together! The point is, did your training as a pharmacist give you a job when you finished?? And the answer is yes. Many graduates cannot boast of that. That lecturing job you left is what many people have been fasting and praying for.

I wonder the satisfaction in going to the university to study anatomy only to graduate and go back to learn fashion designing, when the person could have done so with just basic o level education.

The point is, instead of studying some courses that would not train one for a career the person should simply go and learn a skill/trade, unless such person is from a wealthy home and can afford to study further and become a researcher in that field.
Bros I am not deviating, I am a realist and this is Nigeria, we don't have such number of institutions to accommodate a good number of candidates into those so called juicy courses you mentioned. So people will continue to study the non-juicy courses and would just have to make do with what they have. I told you that education opens your mind to think creatively and innovatively (irrespective of course of study). It lifts your IQ and gives you that analytical capacity to think smart, to birth ideas vis-a-vis problems vs solutions. An illiterate who only learnt a skill doesn't have this advantage. ....
The delivery of a talent/skill/idea by an educated person is not same with that of an uneducated person; what we commonly call packaging is an example-carpenter vs furniture maker, tailor vs fashion designer etc.
Our educational system is a major problem, we only cram textbooks or notes and give back in exams...Our IQ is not challenged on practical issues; problems vs solutions. In my masters in Unilag we were given notes to cram and pour back and get our >4points to qualify for PhD. In my masters in OSH (USA) we were given practical case studies to analyze and proffer solutions, articles to critique, scholarly activity to execute etc...
You don't necessarily have to practice what you studied...I am not practicing pharmacy, for instance, but pharmacy equiped me with strong analytical and innovative skills which I have been able to creatively apply in HSE....
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by AlphaT1(m): 10:26pm On Dec 08, 2018
spiritualmubi:
I get your point sir, my interest is in industrial pharmacy, then community, thanks sir, that was helpful, my aim is higher than average.
Okay..best wishes!
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by CrazyJill: 1:39am On Dec 09, 2018
I think that if we are talking about a service for writing a resume, this one will be more appropriate best rated resume writing services. I personally went there when I needed to prepare a resume and the guys from this service helped me a lot. So I highly recommend this service. If you have problems with resumes, then this is the best option.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by Jman06(m): 3:20am On Dec 09, 2018
AlphaT1:

Bros I am not deviating, I am a realist and this is Nigeria, we don't have such number of institutions to accommodate a good number of candidates into those so called juicy courses you mentioned. So people will continue to study the non-juicy courses and would just have to make do with what they have. I told you that education opens your mind to think creatively and innovatively (irrespective of course of study). It lifts your IQ and gives you that analytical capacity to think smart, to birth ideas vis-a-vis problems vs solutions. An illiterate who only learnt a skill doesn't have this advantage. ....
The delivery of a talent/skill/idea by an educated person is not same with that of an uneducated person; what we commonly call packaging is an example-carpenter vs furniture maker, tailor vs fashion designer etc.
Our educational system is a major problem, we only cram textbooks or notes and give back in exams...Our IQ is not challenged on practical issues; problems vs solutions. In my masters in Unilag we were given notes to cram and pour back and get our >4points to qualify for PhD. In my masters in OSH (USA) we were given practical case studies to analyze and proffer solutions, articles to critique, scholarly activity to execute etc...
You don't necessarily have to practice what you studied...I am not practicing pharmacy, for instance, but pharmacy equiped me with strong analytical and innovative skills which I have been able to creatively apply in HSE....
It is better for one to attend vocational training institutions where one can learn those skills than going to waste years in the university studying a course that can't train them for a career.
Industrialized nations of the world such as China and the rest didn't have to train ALL their workforce up to the university level. In fact , many of their artisans have just the basic education.

The numerous courses you took in pharmacy school and the fact that the standard of study in pharmacy is top notch compared to some other courses is an advantage you had. You check it nau, you finished pharmacy where you got relatively better training and exposure, did internship in a hospital where you earned perhaps a 6 digits salary for one year, did youth's service where you also earned better than your peers in other courses. Then you finished and readily got lecturing job, the only problem here being your greed to make it big and fast, but you had everything to launch you into where you are now bro, be grateful! Many graduates come home from service with no dime to start life with and no prospect of getting a job. That's the point of the thread!
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by AlphaT1(m): 11:45am On Dec 09, 2018
Jman06:
It is better for one to attend vocational training institutions where one can learn those skills than going to waste years in the university studying a course that can't train them for a career.
Industrialized nations of the world such as China and the rest didn't have to train ALL their workforce up to the university level. In fact , many of their artisans have just the basic education.

The numerous courses you took in pharmacy school and the fact that the standard of study in pharmacy is top notch compared to some other courses is an advantage you had. You check it nau, you finished pharmacy where you got relatively better training and exposure, did internship in a hospital where you earned perhaps a 6 digits salary for one year, did youth's service where you also earned better than your peers in other courses. Then you finished and readily got lecturing job, the only problem here being your greed to make it big and fast, but you had everything to launch you into where you are now bro, be grateful! Many graduates come home from service with no dime to start life with and no prospect of getting a job. That's the point of the thread!
What you have failed to understand is that I didn't dispute your assertions, they would be valid (especially in a sane clime) but this is Nigeria, our situation is peculiar and the solutions have to be situation/circumstance based. Nigerians (and her institutions) worship university certificates, that's why they employ graduates as bank tellers? Our vocational training centres and technical colleges are a shadow of themselves becos d emphasis is on degree/HND certificates no wonder a food cafe' wants to employ a graduate and pay him/her 10k....Like you rightly pointed out that industrialized world don't need their artisans to have a degree certificate, it is different with us and so the youth need to prepare themselves appropriately...
You don't need a university certificate, for instance, all over the world, in HSE or maritime safety/survey to rise to the peak of your career but that is not the case in Nigeria. GEJ convinced some of my very senior colleagues with int'l organisations to come home and contribute to maritime safety. They are senior managers with all d necessary safety qualifications recognized world over, but when they got to Nigeria, the issue of university certificate came up...
Nigeria is far below even the third world level, it is quite disheartening but that is the bitter truth...
So like I said our situation is peculiar, our love for certificate supersedes even experience and skill, hence we need to position ourselves (the youth) in like manner!.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by IamShiningStar(f): 7:55pm On Dec 09, 2018
AlphaT1:

Pls stop replying him! he wouldn't still understand.
you have made it clear enough for those who can/wants to understand.
Pls safe your breath brother.
cheers.

1 Like

Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by IamShiningStar(f): 8:32pm On Dec 09, 2018
Jman06:

lol! I even didn't see this post before the above comment was made and yet you proved me right with this comment. some people sha! I reserve my comment.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by Jman06(m): 9:30am On Dec 11, 2018
IamShiningStar:

lol! I even didn't see this post before the above comment was made and yet you proved me right with this comment. some people sha! I reserve my comment.
Do you even know what the argument was about before you quoted me
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by Ujawissy: 2:42pm On Dec 11, 2018
Thermodynamics:

No they don't, maybe in Dubai or in the western world, but definitely not in Nigeria, they just hire them to do small small contracts once in a while and when contract nor de, you go starve. Except your family is well connected, then, you can secure huge government contract and make it big.
You should be an undergraduate or a newbie in Engineering.
Civil Engineering has one of the best prospect in Engineering, considering the larger scope.structural engineering (buildinds design and construction) Environmental and water, e.tc
You can start a consulting a firm as a design engineer on your own or go into sub contracting as a fresh graduate.Far better than the likes of mechanical, Chemical e.t.c except Elect/Elect in Nigeria.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by Ujawissy: 2:48pm On Dec 11, 2018
Thermodynamics:
Advice for the teenagers, getting a job in Nigeria isn't easy, so don't let anyone deceive you with some bullshit talk like "" it doesn't matter what you study, as long as you are a graduate"". i am going to give it to you straight, study any of these courses to improve your chances of getting a job:

1). All engineering apart from Civil and Agric Engn.

2). Bus Admin and Economics

3). Medicine, nursing and pharmacy. Don't study law.

4). Computer science.

But finally, God above everything, if God says you will be successful in life, nothing can stop you, no matter the course you study. What I wrote up there is just my logical opinion. No offense to anyone.

Civil should not be here, not a good advice for someone looking for better job prospects in Nigeria.
Will suggest:Elect/Elect,Civil and Comp sci and Engineering.
Avoid Agric, Metallurgical andMechanical in Nigeria if considering larger jobs prospect.
If you must choose Mech,make sure you come out with a strong grade.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by Ujawissy: 2:49pm On Dec 11, 2018
[]
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by IamShiningStar(f): 11:48pm On Dec 11, 2018
Jman06:
Do you even know what the argument was about before you quoted me
yea! followed from the page/ beginning to the end.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by JIREN01: 9:08am On Mar 08, 2019
AlphaT1:

Okay..best wishes!
Hello, AlphaT1.
I've always being a guest on nairaland over the years.I created this account purposely to get in touch with you, evidenced by the date of creation.You're clearly a well versed and knowledgeable fellow and I'll be willing to tap into your wealth of experience.The crux of the matter is I'll need you to let me in on a few things in line with the profession as I'm quite at crossroads.I mean barrages of questions I desperately need answers to.
You can drop your whatsapp digit if you see no qualm of it, if not, all you need is to follow me back on twitter as I've followed you.
I'll be rounding off my internship very soon.
I humbly await your response Sir.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by graccce: 9:20am On Mar 08, 2019
Pls someone should me with advice
I want to study economics but not too good in maths
How can I improve thanks
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by graccce: 6:06pm On Mar 08, 2019
rhymesnoni:
I was forced to by my Parents to study Economics, as against my prefaered Polical Science cause of my Phoebia for Mathematics....
Thank God they did, cause I not only Studied Economic, bt also Graduated with a good grade, and also secured a job after my service
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by Moso(m): 10:13am On Mar 09, 2019
Please my sister needs jamb Yoruba past questions
She wants to study education management at Unilag she choose it because of the subject combination
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by ahshop: 7:13am On Mar 11, 2019
Do you need professional assignment help in Australia, UK, USA, New Zealand, UAE, China, Switzerland? Let you receive feature-rich assignment directly into your email and Assignment Help Shop Portal on-time.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by ahshop: 7:14am On Mar 11, 2019
Do you need professional assignment help in Australia, UK, USA, New Zealand, UAE, China, Switzerland? Let you receive feature-rich assignment directly into your email and Assignment Help Shop Portal on-time.
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by rhymesnoni(m): 4:18pm On Mar 18, 2019
graccce:

Pls advice a sista ,I heard the course economics is hard especially the mathematics attached to it cos I'm phobia for maths as well. Pls should I go ahead and study it. Thanks
I would advice u go ahead and study Economics, Once u enta the system, the phobia go disappear naturally
Re: JAMB 2019-things To Consider When Choosing A Course by graccce: 9:28am On Sep 14, 2019
[quote author=rhymesnoni post=73623307]I was forced to by my Parents to study Economics, as against my prefaered Polical Science cause of my Phoebia for Mathematics....
Thank God they did, cause I not only Studied Economic, bt also Graduated with a good grade, and also secured a job after my service.

Please tell me more about this course economics however I planned taking it up and I'm likewise phoebia for mathematics. Thank you.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Brief History Of Children’s Day / Zamfara Includes Fulfulde (Fulani) Language In Curriculum / NANS Knocks ASUU For Joining Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.