Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,713 members, 7,802,158 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 10:03 AM

Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities (9720 Views)

Hilarious Statements Made By Criminals In Nigerian Police Custody / Nigerian Arrested For Alleged Sexual Harassment In Vietnam / Woman Denied Sex For 10 Years, Sues Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 10:48pm On Apr 13, 2007
I came across this article and was shocked at the degree in which our young ladies are harassed for sexual favors in our universities. Our current

Education minister (Oby Ezekwesili) whom I was hoping could help arrest the situation, is leaving soon to work at the world bank.

Source: http://www.philly.com/inquirer/world_us/20070408_Nigerian_women_speak_out_on_sex-for-grades_harassment.html

Have you ever been harassed or do you know of any lady that has been harassed by a professor in any university ?

Please share your story with us.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nigerian women speak out on sex-for-grades harassment

By Katharine Houreld
Associated Press

ILE IFE, Nigeria - When Nigeria's education minister faced an audience of 1,000 schoolchildren, she expected to hear complaints of crowded classrooms and lack of equipment.
Instead, girl after girl spoke up about being pressured for sex by teachers in exchange for better grades. One girl was just 11.

"I was shocked," said the minister, Obiageli Ezekwesili, who has several children herself. "I asked - was it that prevalent? And they all chorused, 'Yes.' "

For years, sexual harassment has been rampant in Nigeria's universities, but until recently very little was done about it. From Associated Press interviews with officials and 12 female college students, a pattern emerges of women being held back and denied passing grades for rebuffing teachers' advances, and of being advised by other teachers to give in quietly.

The problem has spread into schools, Ezekwesili says, and there are signs the government is finally ready to intervene.

Most victims are college students such as Chioma, a slim, quiet 22-year-old with a B average, who repeatedly failed political science after refusing her teacher's explicit demands for sex. She said he was a pastor and old enough to be her grandfather.

"Now it has been two years and everyone else has graduated," she said sadly, arms folded neatly in her lap. She is desperate to finish her studies and begin working to help support her family, yet "my life is stopped," she said.

Chioma and others who spoke to the Associated Press asked that their surnames be withheld. All said they and several close friends had been harassed.

Stigma prevents many more from speaking out, says Oluyemisi Obilade, a professor who teaches adult education at prestigious Obafemi Awolowo University at Ile Ife in central Nigeria.

Like many Nigerian universities, the seemingly peaceful campus with its flame trees and soaring art deco architecture has witnessed horrifying sexual assaults. After a student was gang-raped nine years ago, Obilade formed WARSHE - Women Against Rape, Sexual Harassment and Exploitation.

"Some lecturers see young girls as fringe benefits," she said, wearing a black T-shirt that says "This is what a feminist looks like."

"We've had cases where the girls have complained and the heads of their department have called them and said, 'Give him what he wants.' "

Mayowa, a 20-year-old student, said six of her friends were having problems and none had sought help.

"It's tough to fight," she said. "Sometimes you just have to give in."

In a recent survey carried out by a graduate student and funded by WARSHE, 80 percent of more than 300 women questioned at four universities said sexual harassment was their No. 1 concern.

But with a strong African tradition of respecting one's elders, families or teachers, harassed students can rarely expect support, even when repeated complaints are made against one individual.

Bola, a 27-year-old political-science graduate with a C average, said she was repeatedly harassed by a teacher who had assaulted several other students.

"He was troubling me to go and see him at odd hours, very late, but I didn't go," she said. After she refused, she said, she had to retake the class twice, along with four other female students who spurned the professor's advances.

"Even my parents didn't want to help with the problem," she said. "I wish we could get someone with courage to face that man."
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by maxell(f): 11:24pm On Apr 13, 2007
Yes, this harassment has been going on for ages in our universities. Lecturers ask for sex in exchange for passing grades. This is part of the reason why some of our university graduates are not at par with their colleagues in africa and world wide. It is really pitiful and I hope the government can do something about stopping this behavior soon.
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by Tonim(f): 4:35am On Apr 14, 2007
This is really crazy  lipsrsealed embarassed

Thank God I didn't go to uni in naija
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 4:42am On Apr 14, 2007
maxell:

Yes, this harassment has been going on for ages in our universities. Lecturers ask for sex in exchange for passing grades. This is part of the reason why some of our university graduates are not at par with their colleagues in africa and world wide. It is really pitiful and I hope the government can do something about stopping this behavior soon.

I once read of a story of a LASU lecturer that was set up in a hotel. He had persuaded a girl of the school to meet him at the hotel room but didn't know the police and LASU authorities were on to him.

He was butt naked in the hotel room when the cops swooped on him, a whole professor/Ph.D holder. God bless Nigeria.
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by ikamefa(f): 4:43am On Apr 14, 2007
na today? its been going on for years , i was a victim i was harrased when i was in school by my eng 105 and 106 lecturer
i carried over those courses till my last year in school
only by the grace of God, My wonderful mum pestering the HOD of my dept. and Death threats to that lecturer saved me!
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 4:47am On Apr 14, 2007
how are you doing ?  omo iyana london  grin

Na waa ooh ikamefa !! So you also witnessed this first hand  shocked

and I take it the slowpoke is still teaching at the same place today ?
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by ikamefa(f): 4:49am On Apr 14, 2007
GNature:

how are you doing ? omo iyana london grin

Na waa ooh ikamefa !! So you also witnessed this first hand shocked

iyana gini? shocked grin

yes oh ! and it was not a good experience!
i really dont know oh! never bothered to find out oh!
once i had passed :
my motto became ! eni ori yo o di ile! cheesy
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 4:55am On Apr 14, 2007
ikamefa:

iyana gini? shocked grin

yes oh ! and it was not a good experience!
i really don't know oh! never bothered to find out oh!
once i had passed :
my motto became ! eni ori yo o di ile! cheesy

well, you used to say you were located in iyana london  grin grin (i laughed like hell !!!! when I saw it) but I guess you've moved now.

You see, this is just pitiful. How can a lecturer fail a student because of not giving him sex ? Haba !!!

What happened when you reported it to the HOD ?  What was his response ?

Is it really common practice at all universities ? Sometimes that country deyy bring me shame big time I swear.
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 4:58am On Apr 14, 2007
Inasmuch as the issue of sexual harrasment in our schools is a serious concern we must however note that the majority of "complaints" are mainly from those seeking an excuse for poor grades. It is laughable that downright ugly girls even complain of sexual harrasment as a reason for failing their classes!  shocked

Lets be frank, so many girls scream sexual harrasment as soon they get an F on a course they deserved to fail! tons of girls also perpetuate the problem, when you choose to sleep with a professor to pass remember you are setting a dangerous precedent for those coming behind.
What about girls who dress indecently? Let no one yell about men keeping their control, women have a huge responsibility to protect themselves. What you are on the inside is a reflection of how you dress. If you dress in skimpy outfits be prepared for harrasment from warm blooded men out there!

How many women are prepared to take advantages of available opportunities to seek redress in an event they feel they are being blackmailed by unscrupulous professors? Rather they go home crying about sexual harrasment even when not a single man has approached them in 20yrs!
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 5:03am On Apr 14, 2007
But davidylan,

what about the legitimate ladies that are harassed ? Ikamefa just lamented her story and her HOD wouldn't listen until death threats were made (or almost made). When you respond like that, you inadvertedly undermine the severity of this problem.
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by ikamefa(f): 5:05am On Apr 14, 2007
GNature:

well, you used to say you were located in iyana london grin grin (i laughed like hell !!!! when I saw it) but I guess you've moved now.

You see, this is just pitiful. How can a lecturer fail a student because of not giving him sex ? Haba !!!

What happened when you reported it to the HOD ? What was his response ?

Is it really common practice at all universities ? Sometimes that country deyy bring me shame big time I swear.

when HOD is doing the same thingy on the side what will he do? undecided cheesy all na lip service now!

i said i failed it for 3 years common simple english! angry

twas when my mama wahala dey too much and i guess the lecturer was tired of me coming to beg him weeping , with all my friend in tow . he had to let me go!

davidylan:

Inasmuch as the issue of sexual harrasment in our schools is a serious concern we must however note that the majority of "complaints" are mainly from those seeking an excuse for poor grades. It is laughable that downright ugly girls even complain of sexual harrasment as a reason for failing their classes! shocked

Lets be frank, so many girls scream sexual harrasment as soon they get an F on a course they deserved to fail! tons of girls also perpetuate the problem, when you choose to sleep with a professor to pass remember you are setting a dangerous precedent for those coming behind.
What about girls who dress indecently? Let no one yell about men keeping their control, women have a huge responsibility to protect themselves. What you are on the inside is a reflection of how you dress. If you dress in skimpy outfits be prepared for harrasment from warm blooded men out there!

How many women are prepared to take advantages of available opportunities to seek redress in an event they feel they are being blackmailed by unscrupulous professors? Rather they go home crying about sexual harrasment even when not a single man has approached them in 20yrs!

right what about those who don;t dress indecently ,study hard for exams but the lecturer still fails them? undecided for no just cause?

did you say seek redress where?
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 5:09am On Apr 14, 2007
GNature:

But davidylan,

what about the legitimate ladies that are harassed ? Ikamefa just lamented her story and her HOD wouldn't listen until death threats were made (or almost made). When you respond like that, you inadvertedly undermine the severity of this problem.

No sir i do not. I attended a Nigerian college so at least i can claim to have once been a part of the system. I do not deny the seriousness of the issue, the problem is it is now so difficult to separate the real complainants from those who are merely using it as an excuse to justify laziness.
If you took a survey, i wont be surprised that more than 60% of those complaints are frivolous at best. One of my professors in my department was maintaining a girlfriend who happened to be 2 yrs my senior in the same dept.
1. She was woefully ugly i wondered what the man saw in her.
2. She was muslim he was christian
3. his wife was a chemistry professor in my school!

Yet this girl virtually lived off this man to graduate. it used to be a standing joke then that if no one else graduated from the dept at least "alhaja" would!
Now i wont be surprised if she turns around several yrs from now to complain of sexual harrasment!
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 5:10am On Apr 14, 2007
ikamefa:

when HOD is doing the same thingy on the side what will he do? undecided cheesy all na lip service now!

i said i failed it for 3 years common simple english! angry

twas when my mama wahala dey too much and i guess the lecturer was tired of me coming to beg him weeping , with all my friend in tow . he had to let me go!

3 years ?

Ikamefa, my sister, I am speechless !!  I really am.
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 5:14am On Apr 14, 2007
ikamefa:

right what about those who don;t dress indecently ,study hard for exams but the lecturer still fails them? undecided for no just cause?

did you say seek redress where?

My dear, ii dont doubt your story. But we all went to school. During registration period it used to be a common sight to see girls in skimpy clothes jump the queue and go straight to the lecturers office to "register" their presence. You would go to register for a course and u'd be shocked to meet several of your female colleagues comfortably seated, some even going to the extent of lapping themselves, in mr. professors office!
2 weeks to exams, our dear "innocent" females would migrate to the lecturers office again! Of course there is a limit to the number of those he can pass, those who get the short end of the stick are the ones who end up complaining of sexual harrasment!
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by ikamefa(f): 5:21am On Apr 14, 2007
davidylan:

My dear, ii don't doubt your story. But we all went to school. During registration period it used to be a common sight to see girls in skimpy clothes jump the queue and go straight to the lecturers office to "register" their presence. You would go to register for a course and u'd be shocked to meet several of your female colleagues comfortably seated, some even going to the extent of lapping themselves, in mr. professors office!
2 weeks to exams, our dear "innocent" females would migrate to the lecturers office again!
Of course there is a limit to the number of those he can pass, those who get the short end of the stick are the ones who end up complaining of sexual harrasment!

i had course mates who did all of the above! but s ome of us studied hard, as if our lives depended on it but at the end of the day its those girls you described above that will get A's alongside you
what am tryna say is yes some girl do all you described above but not all and yet we are/were still victims of sexual harassments by our lectures
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by ikamefa(f): 5:25am On Apr 14, 2007
the funny path is male students are harrassed too

if a lecturer notices that you are going after the same babe he is going for and he lectures you in any of your courses

better drop his course oh! or you will not pass cheesy
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 5:27am On Apr 14, 2007
ikamefa:

i had course mates who did all of the above! but s ome of us studied hard, as if our lives depended on it but at the end of the day its those girls you described above that will get A's alongside you
what am trying to say is yes some girl do all you described above but not all and yet we are/were still victims of sexual harassments by our lectures

That my dear is the crux of the matter. How do you separate the wheat from the chaff. If 20 girls are doing it, who is bothered when one girl cries out?
The blame has been wrongly laid at the door of the lecturers for far too long giving the lazy girls a very ready excuse for failure. It is time our girls too began to shape up, if we all did the right thing it would be far easier to weed out those randy old illiterates who hang phds on their doors.
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 5:28am On Apr 14, 2007
davidylan,

I guess it is true when I read that our young folks are just not willing to work hard and earn anything. Sleeping with your prof to earn a grade is only going to harm you eventually in the workplace.

Ika6,

so your classmates that succumb get A's just like that ? pitiful

please pardon me, i didn't attend uni in naija, so its hard for me to fathom a lot of this
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 5:30am On Apr 14, 2007
ikamefa:

the funny path is male students are harrassed too

if a lecturer notices that you are going after the same babe he is going for and he lectures you in any of your course

better drop his course oh! or you will not pass cheesy

LOL

I attended FUTA for 1 semester before coming here and this was the first thing the 4th year students told me. They said I should back off from any girl that a lecturer likes immediately or else I am doomed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 5:32am On Apr 14, 2007
GNature:

I guess it is true when I read that our young folks are just not willing to work hard and earn anything. Sleeping with your prof to earn a grade is only going to harm you eventually in the workplace.

It doesnt matter, most would sleep their way to a lucrative job anyway.

GNature:

Ika6,

You used the wrong word there, the right word would be "seduce". Everyone likes to paint the girls as the victims when in actual fact it is the poor old men who are assaulted daily that are the true victims.
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by ikamefa(f): 5:33am On Apr 14, 2007
GNature:

davidylan,

Ika6,

please pardon me, i didn't attend uni in naija, so its hard for me to fathom a lot of this

yes ke! some did t'was an open thing and we all knew about it! cheesy

you are lucky! uni in 9ja na complete animal kingdom story

davidylan:

That my dear is the crux of the matter. How do you separate the wheat from the chaff. If 20 girls are doing it, who is bothered when one girl cries out?
The blame has been wrongly laid at the door of the lecturers for far too long giving the lazy girls a very ready excuse for failure. It is time our girls too began to shape up, if we all did the right thing it would be far easier to weed out those randy old illiterates who hang phds on their doors.

word!
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by ikamefa(f): 5:36am On Apr 14, 2007
davidylan:

It doesnt matter, most would sleep their way to a lucrative job anyway.

You used the wrong word there, the right word would be "seduce". Everyone likes to paint the girls as the victims when in actual fact it is the poor old men who are assaulted daily that are the true victims.

naahh in some cases its succum ,while in some its seduced! david some girls are still victims take it or leave it! smiley
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 5:41am On Apr 14, 2007
ikamefa:

naahh i some cases its succum ,while in some its seduced! david some girls are still victims take it or leave it! smiley

I perfectly agree. But take it or leave it, the girls who are victims are a minority compared to the vast majority who come to school prepared to "use what they've got to get what they want".
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 5:43am On Apr 14, 2007
davidylan:

I perfectly agree. But take it or leave it, the girls who are victims are a minority compared to the vast majority who come to school prepared to "use what they've got to get what they want".

but davidylan, you know what you imply here is that most of these girls are practicing prostitution !
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by ikamefa(f): 5:46am On Apr 14, 2007
davidylan:

why would you come to school hoping to sleep your way through to a Good! G.P A? smiley

GNature:

but davidylan, you know this is more or less prostitution !!

yes it is, the sad fact is some girls do it but i disagree they are in the majority like david is claiming ! smiley

so most Nigerian Uni gals are Ashewos? angry
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 5:56am On Apr 14, 2007
GNature:

but davidylan, you know what you imply here is that most of these girls are practicing prostitution !

my brother, it doesnt have two names!

ikamefa:

why would you come to school hoping to sleep your way through to a Good! G.P A? smiley

Plenty of reasons dear, top of the list may be laziness.

ikamefa:

yes it is, the sad fact is some girls do it but i disagree they are in the majority like david is claiming ! smiley

so most Nigerian Uni gals are Ashewos? angry

I find it sad to admit but it is true. Those girls are in the vast majority. I taught 1 yr at the Fed Univ of Tech in Yola, all my corp member friends had a field day picking any girl of their choice. I had married alhajas coming to my office to beg for scores.
A girl i did not even know invited me to her house, God knows what would have happened if i were not in control of my senses.
A cousin to the family i stayed with would come home whenever her family was out and walk around like a little jezebel hoping to entice big bros. In the end, one igbo corp member friend took her away to shag as he pleased!

During registration, tests and exam periods, only God saved us from sexual harrasment!
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 6:06am On Apr 14, 2007
davidylan:

my brother, it doesnt have two names!

Plenty of reasons dear, top of the list may be laziness.

I find it sad to admit but it is true. Those girls are in the vast majority. I taught 1 yr at the Fed Univ of Tech in Yola, all my corp member friends had a field day picking any girl of their choice. I had married alhajas coming to my office to beg for scores.
A girl i did not even know invited me to her house, God knows what would have happened if i were not in control of my senses.
A cousin to the family i stayed with would come home whenever her family was out and walk around like a little jezebel hoping to entice big bros. In the end, one igbo corp member friend took her away to shag as he pleased!

During registration, tests and exam periods, only God saved us from sexual harrasment!

Unbelieveable ! shocked shocked shocked  You actually witnessed this first hand as a lecturer !!!!

even in the north with all this sharia ? this is mind blowing.

So it is fair to say that for every female graduate of our univ,  x % has at one point slept with a prof for good grades.

How did we get to this point ? Is our economic situation the root cause of all of this ?
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by ikamefa(f): 6:09am On Apr 14, 2007
davidylan:

then they should close all the unis then! if it has deteriorated up to this level, in my days t'was an open secreat that some( just a handful of gals did it) if its up to this high level then God save all the real " innocentis" amongst them

GNature:

Unbelieveable ! shocked shocked shocked You actually witnessed this first hand as a lecturer !!!!

So it is fair to say that for every female graduate of our univ, [b]x % has at one point slept with a prof for good grades.

How did we get to this point ? Is our economic situation the root cause of all of this
?[/b]

sad! really sad! our economy ? prolly!
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 6:16am On Apr 14, 2007
GNature:

Unbelieveable ! shocked shocked shocked You actually witnessed this first hand as a lecturer !!!!

So it is fair to say that for every female graduate of our univ, x % has at one point slept with a prof for good grades.

How did we get to this point ? Is our economic situation the root cause of all of this ?

my brother, alhajas with scarf and hijab sef! Dont ever trust a woman when she's determined to use "what she's got to get what she wants". If you were a corper especially from Lagos you were a BIG BOY!. If you were a lecturer you were even a BIGGER BOY. My friend had a constant girl he took home on weekends. Plus the other ones who still came around hoping for a free lay for some points.
I remember laughing so hard at one girl. About 5 of us corpers were standing under a tree and this girl left her exams to stand with us in the sun waiting for a fellow corper who had gone chasing after a girl. She wanted to ask what she should cook for him!!!

ikamefa:

sad! really sad! our economy ? prolly!

Everything na economy. Even if toads start growing 8 legs it will all be the fault of the economy.
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 6:17am On Apr 14, 2007
Ikamefa,

Did you tell your dad about what you went through with your eng prof ?  Because my dad would kill if anyone did that to my sister. Infact, if you show me the guy in naija, I would beat the shiit out of him for putting you through all that.  Useless men  lipsrsealed
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by Nobody: 6:19am On Apr 14, 2007
useless girls
Re: Sex-for-grade Harassment In Nigerian Universities by GNature(m): 6:23am On Apr 14, 2007
davidylan:

my brother, alhajas with scarf and hijab sef! Dont ever trust a woman when she's determined to use "what she's got to get what she wants". If you were a corper especially from Lagos you were a BIG BOY!. If you were a lecturer you were even a BIGGER BOY. My friend had a constant girl he took home on weekends. Plus the other ones who still came around hoping for a free lay for some points.
I remember laughing so hard at one girl. About 5 of us corpers were standing under a tree and this girl left her exams to stand with us in the sun waiting for a fellow corper who had gone chasing after a girl. She wanted to ask what she should cook for him!!!

LMAO grin grin She donn turn herself into wife patapata shocked

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cult War In Abia State University(graphic Photos) / (photos) Notorious “aye” Cult Leader, Oscar Arrested In Ijebu-ode, Ogun State / Unity Bank Accountant In Trouble Over Forgery, Theft Of Customer’s N30m

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 107
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.