Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,712 members, 7,805,932 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:39 AM

FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria - Career (13) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria (35433 Views)

What Is The Intro Salary Of Structural Engineers. / Learn ETABS For Structural Design / Learn ETABS Free Of Charge For Nigerian Structural Engineers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 10:06am On Aug 28, 2021
feeloscar:
Etabs is better when it comes to buildings while Robot is superb when it comes to bridges and culverts.
do you use revit also? I want to know how the 2D drafting looks like
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by feeloscar(m): 10:20am On Aug 28, 2021
hakeem4:
I don't use revit for drafting, but Decode has shown how to draft in revit on youtube.
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 11:56am On Aug 31, 2021
hakeem4:

Revit for formwork drawing is superb!
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 1:34pm On Aug 31, 2021
yungmin:

Revit for formwork drawing is superb!
you do formwork drawings? like for concrete?
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 4:00pm On Aug 31, 2021
hakeem4:

Yes Engineer

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 4:04pm On Aug 31, 2021
hakeem4:

I may not have understood you, but by formwork, I was referring to layout drawings

1 Like

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 7:54pm On Aug 31, 2021
yungmin:

I may not have understood you, but by formwork, I was referring to layout drawings
when I meant firework. I meant temporary molds into which concrete or similar materials are poured.
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 5:07pm On Sep 02, 2021
@hakeem please a quick question. Do you model structures with plates in it? I.e, you model the slab in staad. Have you noticed any difference in the results between using the floor load and applying plate loads to plates (slab)? Please, check. I am seeing very significant difference in the beam moments and I can't explain why.
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 8:43pm On Sep 02, 2021
Please, examine this simple model. The beam moments are significantly reduced with the plates in place

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 9:01pm On Sep 02, 2021
yungmin:
@hakeem please a quick question. Do you model structures with plates in it? I.e, you model the slab in staad. Have you noticed any difference in the results between using the floor load and applying plate loads to plates (slab)? Please, check. I am seeing very significant difference in the beam moments and I can't explain why.
if you model it with plate. Then you’d have to understand thin shell theory. It’s the same with Etabs, If you model with thin shell and membrane you’d get different moments.

Let me try my best to explain the difference why we have conflicting moments.

Modeling with membrane/floor loads means that all the loads are directly transferred to the beam and the slab doesn’t have out of plane bending stiffness.

But plate or shell have out of plane bending stiffness then distributes the load accordingly to the stiffness of the supporting beam. It also takes part of the load in form of flexure

1 Like

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 9:02pm On Sep 02, 2021
yungmin:
Please, examine this simple model. The beam moments are significantly reduced with the plates in place
id go through it tomorrow at work
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 9:13pm On Sep 02, 2021
hakeem4:
if you model it with plate. Then you’d have to understand thin shell theory. It’s the same with Etabs, If you model with thin shell and membrane you’d get different moments.

Let me try my best to explain the difference why we have conflicting moments.

Modeling with membrane/floor loads means that all the loads are directly transferred to the beam and the slab doesn’t have out of plane bending stiffness.

But plate or shell have out of plane bending stiffness then distributes the load accordingly to the stiffness of the supporting beam. It also takes part of the load in form of flexure

I totally understand this. My worry is the fact that the difference in moment is very significant. It is almost half times lower when you model with plates. So, does it mean that modelling without plates is being excessively conservative?
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 9:24pm On Sep 02, 2021
yungmin:

I totally understand this. My worry is the fact that the difference in moment is very significant. It is almost half times lower when you model with plates. So, does it mean that modelling without plates is being excessively conservative?
almost half? Okay let me check the moments tomorrow
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 9:28pm On Sep 02, 2021
hakeem4:
almost half? Okay let me check the moments tomorrow

Okay, thanks
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 10:32pm On Sep 02, 2021
Please, check this in etabs to compare as well. Thanks
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 12:14pm On Sep 03, 2021
yungmin:
hello yungmin, I went through your model and the reason why you’re getting varying moments and shear force was
1) on staad pro, the density of concrete is 23.6 kN/m3 while you manually assumed yours for your floor load as 25kN/m3. But I had to remove the self weight and assume a load of 3.6 for both of them.
2) because plates does not distribute by tributary areas. Floor loads has triangular and trapezoidal loads while plate load is basically finite elements and works with stiffness.

The plate load is the way the slab would behave in reality. In real life there’s nothing as one way or two way slab.

I compared your model with mine on Etabs and we’re getting similar results. I hope I answered your questions

2 Likes

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 1:17pm On Sep 03, 2021
Thanks bro. I actually figured the concrete density discrepancy out and reduced the floor load to 3.6 as you just did. But still, there was still significant difference in the moments. And now that you did it in etabs as well and have similar results, it means the output is okay but modelling without the plates is just more conservative.

If you don't mind, please, share typical bending moment figures from etabs for the beam. I just want to see the difference. I know from my end, the moment of the beam (max) with plate elements was 21kNm why that without plates was about 36kNm.

Thanks alot for responding.
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 3:06pm On Sep 03, 2021
hakeem4:

I use Revit only for drafting unless reinforcements drawings

2 Likes

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 3:47pm On Sep 03, 2021
yungmin:
Thanks bro. I actually figured the concrete density discrepancy out and reduced the floor load to 3.6 as you just did. But still, there was still significant difference in the moments. And now that you did it in etabs as well and have similar results, it means the output is okay but modelling without the plates is just more conservative.

If you don't mind, please, share typical bending moment figures from etabs for the beam. I just want to see the difference. I know from my end, the moment of the beam (max) with plate elements was 21kNm why that without plates was about 36kNm.

Thanks alot for responding.
wow, I have deleted the file. But I got the same results with staad, while using plates and membranes

2 Likes

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by KunleyY19(m): 3:46pm On Sep 27, 2021
Hakeem4 Good Afternoon Sir. What version of Staad pro Connect are you using I downloaded update 6 but cracking it has been a problem. After cracking it the email sign up page comes up which I don't think is normal. Any advise or suggestion on the best CE update to download
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 8:53pm On Sep 27, 2021
KunleyY19:
Hakeem4 Good Afternoon Sir. What version of Staad pro Connect are you using I downloaded update 6 but cracking it has been a problem. After cracking it the email sign up page comes up which I don't think is normal. Any advise or suggestion on the best CE update to download
pm me
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 7:14am On Oct 02, 2021
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 8:13am On Oct 03, 2021
KunleyY19:

Please,let me know if the physical modeller is activated in the version you downloaded. Dear @hakeem4 , do you have the physical modeller activated in the version you use?

1 Like

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 8:30am On Oct 03, 2021
yungmin:

Please,let me know if the physical modeller is activated in the version you downloaded. Dear @hakeem4 , do you have the physical modeller activated in the version you use?
yes. i use update 7 and it is very active
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 2:12pm On Oct 03, 2021
hakeem4:
yes. i use update 7 and it is very active

Wow, please, is there a way I can get it? Even if it means paying.
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 3:48pm On Oct 03, 2021
yungmin:

Wow, please, is there a way I can get it? Even if it means paying.
email me I’d send the file tomorrow
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 3:52pm On Oct 03, 2021
hakeem4:
email me I’d send the file tomorrow

I just sent a PM. Thanks alot
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 5:18pm On Oct 03, 2021
yungmin:

I just sent a PM. Thanks alot
I have replied you
Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 7:39pm On Oct 04, 2021
hakeem4:
I have replied you

Thanks alot bro.

1 Like

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 5:47pm On Nov 11, 2021
Proceq Schmidt hammer test in Nigeria

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5pO0GmOAu8

1 Like

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by hakeem4(m): 5:48pm On Nov 11, 2021
Schmidt hammer os 120 for light weight concrete and sandcrete

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOmU0GLnOgE

1 Like

Re: FREE STAAD PRO Connect Edition Tutorial - for Structural Engineers in nigeria by yungmin: 9:31pm On Nov 28, 2021
@Hakeem4 have you seen this image allegedly taken at MM2? Why would they place columns at the expansion joint? Na wa

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Lagos Government To Prosecute Employer Who Assaulted Her Sales Girl (Pictures) / Kennedy Ekezie Honored By The Queen Of England As One Of The "Young leaders" / Is This True About Salaries In The UK.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.