Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,342 members, 7,808,205 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:40 AM

Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? (3181 Views)

All Christians And Muslims Are Atheists. / Nairaland Atheists: Atheists or Religious Trolls / Why People Are Atheists? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by luvmijeje(f): 10:09am On Dec 09, 2018
frank317:

God, is supposedly the creator of everything... His greatness shouldn't be questioned, neither should it be selective. It should be felt by all, both believers and non believers. No one should in doubt of this greatness.
So since u have confirmed that it has not happened to me do u expect me to see him as great? More still isn't it normal that I doubt ur story since I and many other of his so-called creations have not felt his greatness?

Greatness that is selective, is that one great?

What's your definition of greatness? Let me define how I view greatness.

Greatness is feeling happy despite not knowing what caused it. Greatness is feeling hope despite dooms all around you.

If you hadn't feel that, it doesn't mean others have not felt it.

What's greatness to me can never be greatness to you. Knowing you, you will rubbish my definition of greatness because you are incapable of seeing from my perspective.
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by urahara(m): 10:52am On Dec 09, 2018
frank317:

Its obvious u have nothing to say..perhaps we should declare the thread closed. I however hope u have learned something today.

Seriously , the points u made were very weak .

Do u think the greatest nation in the world ,America, is not religious undecided.
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by obinna58(m): 10:52am On Dec 09, 2018
luvmijeje:

I like you and I'm sorry that it took me this long to appreciate your point of view.

Believing in God fills the Gap. It fills the gap nature have left void. You saying there is a cause of existence shows you are not putting your head under the sand.

When we as human don't learn to put ourselves in other people's shoes, it is intellectual laziness. And I'm sorry, that's how I see most Atheists.

Probably because I'm expecting so much from them, so when I see them not grasping the reason why most people believes there is God and just brush over their reasons, it bothers me.
I like you too sweetheart, I think understanding goes both ways, being able to put yourself in their shoes as well, pointing to my view atheists are indirectly more of the same and I don't think their belief matters to whatever it is that triggered our existence, with time I'm sure you'll be able realize that believing in doesn't fill any gap grin i'll it's meant for those stucked in their beliefs, I do appreciate you view and open mind. kiss
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by frank317: 11:04am On Dec 09, 2018
urahara:

Seriously , the points u made were very weak .

Do u think the greatest nation in the world ,America, is not religious undecided.

Yes, they are not religious. Not half as religious as Nigeria
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by urahara(m): 11:05am On Dec 09, 2018
frank317:

Yes, they are not religious. Not half as religious as Nigeria

I know, then what of those Arab countries like Qatar , Saudi , etc
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by frank317: 11:14am On Dec 09, 2018
luvmijeje:

What's your definition of greatness? Let me define how I view greatness.
Greatness is a concept of a state of superiority affecting a person or object in a particular place or area. Greatness can also be attributed to individuals who possess a natural ability to be better than all others. (As defined by Wikipedia)

Greatness is feeling happy despite not knowing what caused it. Greatness is feeling hope despite dooms all around you.
If this is what greatness means to you. Then you are even relegating God to anything anyone want's it to be. A lot of people feel this way without subscribing to God.

If you hadn't feel that, it doesn't mean others have not felt it.
I have felt that way, I don't subscribe to any nonexistent entity.

What's greatness to me can never be greatness to you. Knowing you, you will rubbish my definition of greatness because you are incapable of seeing from my perspective.
If you call God great and he is the creator of everyone... U cannot subject his greatness to ur feelings and perception. U got it wrong dear.
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by Nobody: 11:28am On Dec 09, 2018
Religion breeds backwardness and social division hence the aims and objectives of religion is undermined. Not to mention how terrorism, hate and bigotry all draw thier source from religion.

P.S : Religion is the highest causal of war and terrorism since the inception of mankind and warfare.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by frank317: 11:29am On Dec 09, 2018
urahara:

That's why I said religion is not the only problem... I noticed u insist on pretending u didn't get that point.

Those Arab countries u mentioned do not subscribe to layer back spiritual beliefs like Nigerians...they sonnot have such cultural diversity as we have here that are dividing us. Go to front page and see how Nigerians attack themselves, rather than issues.

Go to Qatar and Saudi, u will see the effect of religion on them despite their success. Can't u see that their religion has set a limit to their success? How are they effectively going beyond their environment and effecting the world with what they have?

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by frank317: 11:34am On Dec 09, 2018
urahara:

Besides u cannot just pick a few successful religious countries to measure the effect of religion to a people. Let's see the percentage of highly religious countries that are doing well and compare it with the percentage of non highly religious countries that are doing well.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by urahara(m): 11:36am On Dec 09, 2018
frank317:

That's why I said religion is not the only problem... I noticed u insist on pretending u didn't get that point.

Those Arab countries u mentioned do not subscribe to layer back spiritual beliefs like Nigerians...they sonnot have such cultural diversity as we have here that are dividing us. Go to front page and see how Nigerians attack themselves, rather than issues.

Go to Qatar and Saudi, u will see the effect of religion on them despite their success. Can't u see that their religion has set a limit to their success? How are they effectively going beyond their environment and effecting the world with what they have?

Seriously dude , religion puts no limit on the success of a Nation. U forget that Europe and America we're once very religious and they were the most successful for their time .Geez
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by urahara(m): 11:38am On Dec 09, 2018
frank317:

Besides u cannot just pick a few successful religious countries to measure the effect of religion to a people. Let's see the percentage of highly religious countries that are doing well and compare it with the percentage of non highly religious countries that are doing well.

U don't understand the unsuccessful countries use religion as a crutch
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by urahara(m): 11:38am On Dec 09, 2018
aaronson:
Religion breeds backwardness and social division hence the aims and objectives of religion is undermined. Not to mention how terrorism, hate and bigotry all draw thier source from religion.

P.S : Religion is the highest causal of war and terrorism since the inception of mankind and warfare.

Ethnic groups also cause social division
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by Nobody: 12:11pm On Dec 09, 2018
urahara:

Yes sir but here is the truth you can't deny. Even in same ethnic group, there are division prior to difference in religion.

For example, Same Igbo ethnicity but divided by either being a Catholic or Anglican.

Same hause tribe but divided by ethier shia Muslim or sunni Muslim. Etc
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by frank317: 12:31pm On Dec 09, 2018
urahara:

Did anyone argue with u that ethnic group does not cause social division?

Are u pretending that u don't see that religion also causes social division?
There are catholics parents who will not allow their children marry a non Catholic. What of sharia law that caused havoc between Christians and Muslims in the north some time ago? Do u know the election of Nigerian President is also determined by religion?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by frank317: 12:46pm On Dec 09, 2018
urahara:

U don't understand the unsuccessful countries use religion as a crutch

This is not true
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by luvmijeje(f): 12:57pm On Dec 09, 2018
frank317:

Greatness is a concept of a state of superiority affecting a person or object in a particular place or area. Greatness can also be attributed to individuals who possess a natural ability to be better than all others. (As defined by Wikipedia)

If this is what greatness means to you. Then you are even relegating God to anything anyone want's it to be. A lot of people feel this way without subscribing to God.

I have felt that way, I don't subscribe to any nonexistent entity.

If you call God great and he is the creator of everyone... U cannot subject his greatness to ur feelings and perception. U got it wrong dear.

Frank, take a step back. There are different religions in this world and their view of who God is, is clearly different. For instance the Bible is not written by one author and who God is, was seen from different perspective of the different authors. There is no one defition of who God is.

The concept that God must be the same to everyone is probably your view of God should be.

You will never feel the same way I felt, our journey was never the same.
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by frank317: 1:05pm On Dec 09, 2018
luvmijeje:

Frank, take a step back. There are different religions in this world and their view of who God is, is clearly different. For instance the Bible is not written by one author and who God is, was seen from different perspective of the different authors. There is no one defition of who God is.

The concept that God must be the same to everyone is probably your view of God should be.

Feel a particular way is really not about what touched us, its about who we are. We might feel differently for different stimuli must be recognizable and acknowledged by all if its great.
You will never feel the same way I felt, our journey was never the same.

If the concept of God is not the same to everyone, what then is ur point?

How can a God that created us exist and u think its okay for the concept of him to be different? When we tell u God is a man made idea same u will still be arguing.

1 Like

Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by festwiz(m): 1:20pm On Dec 09, 2018
Just going to leave this here

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by frank317: 1:32pm On Dec 09, 2018
festwiz:
Just going to leave this here

Its really quite simple.. I mean, isn't religion supposed to better a society? What the essence of worshiping a good loving creator that hates sin, yet we are one of the most sinful nation... Its either religion has no single effect or it has a negative effect.

While religious folks are boldly asking what are the negative consequences of religion they fail to ask what a the the positive consequences of religion to our nation.

Edited

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by MuttleyLaff: 1:49pm On Dec 09, 2018
frank317:
Its really quite simple..
I mean, isn't religion supposed to better a society?
What the essence of worshiping a good loving creator that hates sin, yet we are one of the most simple nation...
Its either religion has no single effect or it has a negative effect.

While religious folks are boldly asking what are the negative consequences of religion they fail to ask
what a the the positive consequences of religion to our nation.
It really is quite simple,
words change meaning all the time
In the passage of time, the word, religion, is no exception

The original meaning of religion embodied empathy, compassion and/or tender-heartedness
There is no true and pure religion in the world more than that.
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by hahn(m): 1:50pm On Dec 09, 2018
frank317:

Its really quite simple.. I mean, isn't religion supposed to better a society? What the essence of worshiping a good loving creator that hates sin, yet we are one of the most simple nation... Its either religion has no single effect or it has a negative effect.

While religious folks are boldly asking what are the negative consequences of religion they fail to ask what a the the positive consequences of religion to our nation.

I create a thread on that here https://www.nairaland.com/3300321/what-benefits-believing-god-religion
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by CAPSLOCKED: 3:06pm On Dec 09, 2018
frank317:

Its really quite simple.. I mean, isn't religion supposed to better a society? What the essence of worshiping a good loving creator that hates sin, yet we are one of the most sinful nation... Its either religion has no single effect or it has a negative effect.

Edited

SOMEONE ONCE TOLD ME THAT I SUPPORT LGBT AND ABORTIONS BECAUSE I'M IRRELIGIOUS. THEREFORE, BEING IRRELIGIOUS IS EVIL.

NOW THE IRONY IS THAT MOST PRISON INMATES, KIDNAPPERS, RITUALISTS, ADULTERERS, FORNICATORS, RAPISTS, DRUG ADDICTS, YAHOO BOYS, AND THE LGBT/WOMEN WHO HAVE ABORTIONS THAT I SUPPORT ARE RELIGIOUS PEOPLE WHO HATE ME FOR BEING IRRELIGIOUS....... BUT IT IS THEM DISOBEYING THE LAWS OF THIS GOD THEY PRETEND TO LOVE AND SERVE.

CAN YOU SEE THE RIDICULOUS STUPIDITY? cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by tintingz(m): 3:20pm On Dec 09, 2018
urahara:
Why are atheists and irreligious people fond of blaming Nigeria or Africa's problems on religion.

After all we were not the only ones the whites brought the religion to. How do they associate economic failures to religion ?

I'm just curious undecided
Religion is part of the factors of the problem and not only religion, superstitious beliefs in general.

Africans take religion very seriously and it poisoned their reasoning, it makes Africans very lazy.

Some Islamic countries that take religion very serious still kiss the western foot to develop their country while some who reject the west are in disaster because of their beliefs.
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by tintingz(m): 3:24pm On Dec 09, 2018
urahara:

Nigerians may believe that a god can solve their problems but after praying , they still go and hustle like mad. smiley
Nigerians are waiting for God to judge, the most common statement "leave God to judge or fight".
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by tintingz(m): 3:26pm On Dec 09, 2018
luvmijeje:
I'm not religious and I don't believe religion is the problem of Nigeria. Religion has rather been a solution to poverty, hopelessness and loneliness.

It's why it's the biggest creation of man.
Religon is like an opium you mean?
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by frank317: 3:28pm On Dec 09, 2018
hahn:

I create a thread on that here https://www.nairaland.com/3300321/what-benefits-believing-god-religion

As usual, they derailed the thread
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by tintingz(m): 3:34pm On Dec 09, 2018
luvmijeje:

I've read your reasons but in making your point you failed to realize that men are wired to believe in something.

For instance you. You believe in your fellow men..... The scientist. But science don't give hope. It doesn't give love. It doesn't give companionship the way religious does. You all failed to realize the need to believe in something is just as critical as the need to live.
Religion has it positive and negative, it is a tool.

You said religion gives love, companionship.

It may seem it does but it is base on some book dictating it, you need to read from the book before you could show love, the book tells you when to be good. Ask most religious people if they like homosexuals and see thier response or ask a boko haram if he likes a Christian. Ask a Christian what she thinks about a dead Muslim in afterlife.
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by luvmijeje(f): 6:11pm On Dec 09, 2018
obinna58:

I like you too sweetheart, I think understanding goes both ways, being able to put yourself in their shoes as well, pointing to my view atheists are indirectly more of the same and I don't think their belief matters to whatever it is that triggered our existence, with time I'm sure you'll be able realize that believing in doesn't fill any gap grin i'll it's meant for those stucked in their beliefs, I do appreciate you view and open mind. kiss

I understand their point of view. I understand why they believe there is no God but there are times I'm like are they in this country. Haven't they heard of black magic? Haven't they see cult guys or area guys fight with black magic?

I was born and grow up in most deadliest area of Lagos, so I have seen a lot of crazy things that if I start explaining they will say I'm lying. I've seen things that's beyond the reasoning of science.

So you will understand why I think Atheists especially if they live in this country are living in a bubble.
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by luvmijeje(f): 6:19pm On Dec 09, 2018
tintingz:
Religion has it positive and negative, it is a tool.

You said religion gives love, companionship.

It may seem it does but it is base on some book dictating it, you need to read from the book before you could show love, the book tells you when to be good. Ask most religious people if they like homosexuals and see thier response or ask a boko haram if he likes a Christian. Ask a Christian what she thinks about a dead Muslim in afterlife.

You do have a point. My issue with religion is the herd mentality. It's the power it has over men. They have made it a crime for anyone to think outside of the box.

It happened yesterday to me on this section. I was pointing out a flaw and you have to see the way one guy start raining insult on me. If that kind of person sees me live, he can kill me with a gun.
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by luvmijeje(f): 6:31pm On Dec 09, 2018
frank317:

If the concept of God is not the same to everyone, what then is ur point?

How can a God that created us exist and u think its okay for the concept of him to be different? When we tell u God is a man made idea same u will still be arguing.

It was never the same. Go through their religious book each author have different experience with God.

Because they made it a crime for them to question the book they are reading, they all now believe they must live their lives according to the authors who wrote the different books.

My issue with religion is that the adherent failed to realise the authors have different experience with God, so why are the followers mimicking the life of others.
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by frank317: 7:32pm On Dec 09, 2018
luvmijeje:

You do have a point. My issue with religion is the herd mentality. It's the power it has over men. They have made it a crime for anyone to think outside of the box.

It happened yesterday to me on this section. I was pointing out a flaw and you have to see the way one guy start raining insult on me. If that kind of person sees me live, he can kill me with a gun.

Seen u alive and I think u are the prettiest dark thing that ever liveth
Re: Why Are Atheists Or Irreligious People Fond Of This ? by frank317: 7:40pm On Dec 09, 2018
luvmijeje:

It was never the same. Go through their religious book each author have different experience with God.
True..its never the same, that why I am sure religion or God concept is man made. God giving people different experience of him is only trying to create confusion among humans in my opinion... Isn't he supposed to know better?

Because they made it a crime for them to question the book they are reading, they all now believe they must live their lives according to the authors who wrote the different books.

Isn't this wrong?

My issue with religion is that the adherent failed to realise the authors have different experience with God, so why are the followers mimicking the life of others.
Because if u accept different people have different experience if God, then u accept God is a God of confusion.
When do we know people are making things up and calling it God? God experience should be the same across every human, believer or not... This way anyone doubting him has himself to blame

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Authority of the Bible - personal motivation? / Mockers,skeptics,atheists On Nl - Read / Did Christ Also Die For The Black Africans?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.