Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,290 members, 7,780,673 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 07:11 PM

The End Of The Shift Lever .. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / The End Of The Shift Lever .. (1091 Views)

Hyundai And Kia Develop World’s First ICT Connected Shift System (photos) / Things You Should Know About The Shift Lock Release And How To Use It / Locked Shifter: What To Do When Your Gear Lever Can’t Shift From Park Position (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The End Of The Shift Lever .. by makizee(m): 2:04pm On Dec 09, 2018
Car Trends come and go mostly...but some are so fundamental to what the car is that their replacement is bound to be controversial.. The Shift Lever is one of them.

Car manufactirers in recent times have decided to do away with the traditional shift lever in automatic transmission and replace them with either buttons or rotary knobs..This removes the feeling from holding on to the lever and actually shifting something...opinions are divided on this new trending the automobile industry..Tell us what you think ?

1 Share

Re: The End Of The Shift Lever .. by makizee(m): 2:07pm On Dec 09, 2018
More from our beloved Auto-Makers

Re: The End Of The Shift Lever .. by Kingdante(m): 2:37pm On Dec 09, 2018
Does the knob and/buttons remove the gear box wahala?

Cos to me shifting an automatic lever or pressing a button doesn’t really really contribute much to the fun and comfort of driving �‍♂️�‍♂️
Re: The End Of The Shift Lever .. by Jakumo(m): 6:21pm On Dec 09, 2018
If the gear elector knob MUST go, then the rotary dial selector seems like it would be a safer driver interface with the transmission gear selector of any car, in that it can be visually scanned in a quick glance, whilst driving, in the same way drivers sometimes quickly glance at the gear lever if road conditions dictate that they perform manual shifts with an automatic transmission, such as when overtaking.

On the other hand, those tiny gear select buttons in the dashboard would require the driver to take his eyes off the road for too long, whilst searching for the right button to press, and that could increase the odds of getting in a crash.

I do not like those tiny buttons at all. They remind me of an old school car radio, whose channel-change mechanical buttons looked just like the above picture.

All told, I will continue to drive a car with a gear selector knob, for as long as possible. "If it works, then don't fix it" goes the old saying, and that is exactly the way I feel on this subject of gear selection mechanisms.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The End Of The Shift Lever .. by HeavenlyBang(m): 9:33am On Dec 10, 2018
Don't think I'll ever drive a car without a lever. At least Toyota still makes them.
Re: The End Of The Shift Lever .. by dasphinx1(m): 11:35am On Dec 10, 2018
After changing the hand brake lever to a single button, they go ahead with the gear lever as well? What will our right hand do while driving now? Resting on the center console or maybe fiddling with stereo controls(which is being replaced by touchscreen interface sef) Ki lo de na!!! Driving will soon get boring as the years rolls by.
Re: The End Of The Shift Lever .. by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 10, 2018
dasphinx1:
After changing the hand brake lever to a single button, they go ahead with the gear lever as well? What will our right hand do while driving now? Resting on the center console or maybe fiddling with stereo controls(which is being replaced by touchscreen interface sef) Ki lo de na!!! Driving will soon get boring as the years rolls by.

They want u to keep both hands on the steering wheel grin grin. They love u and care about ur safety.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

What You Need To Know About CARS' BRAND PARENTS / Corolla 2004 Help....... / Please Help It's My Fuel Consumption Okay

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.