Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,360 members, 7,800,728 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 03:54 AM

Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad (1721 Views)

Why Do Nigerians Become Less Religious When They Travel Abroad? / What Do Nigerians Do For A Living When They Travel Abroad? / Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by naunasabi: 8:11pm On Dec 09, 2018
@thebosstrevor why do Nigerians think it is all about money?

What about quality of life? Last time I checked the life expectancy in that poo-hole is around 50 years. Moving to country like Germany automatically increases your life expectancy by about 30 years on the average.

What about opportunity? Yes you can make money in Nigeria but then how much are we talking about? Being a middle class doesn't spare your children the horror of everyday life in Nigerian or how uncertain the future look. Unless you are among the top earners in Nigeria which will afford you the means to ship your children abroad for a better life. Which brings me back to the question if Nigeria is that great after making the money since that is your sole indicator of a wonderful life why don't you leave your kids in Nigeria instead of carting them away?

To the average man on the street, Nigeria is one of the worse place to be born and to live in. Go to the west the average man on the street has a prospect if they work towards it. In Nigeria working hard towards your goal doesn't cut it, you have to be very lucky and know people. I know that there are group of people that will counter this point but my question to those people is to compare the number of those that did it without knowing anyone with those that knew someone. While when you look at the west the element of luck and knowing someone is insignificant on how your life turns out.

@thebosstrevor you won't know the quality of life until you get home from work, flip the switch and there is power. Step into your tube and take a warm bath thereafter relax in your sofa without any worries of whether the power will be on when you wake up in the morning or if the tap will be running in the morning. You wont known the quality of life or what it really means to make it until you have emergency medical condition and all you need to do is dial emergency services and their will be medical personnel right there at your home to save your life.

Even in your so called money haven- even if you managed to amass a lot of money when you have medical emergency the service you will get is a far cry from a decent one. I forgot all your billionaires are still running abroad for medical checkup.

As for the poor man he is on his own!

Yes to me making it, is living in a society where everyone has equal or at least near equal opportunity of charting the course of their lives.

Making it to me is living in a society where I don't have to worry about the mundane things of life like security, health , education, human right, job security etc. You can be making money but mine and I can speak for most people is living in a decent society.

To us that is what making it is all about a society where human life has value!

Cc lastical, Seun, ishilove please help move our ministry to front page.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Chriswazo(m): 8:22pm On Dec 09, 2018
naunasabi:

What about quality of life? Last time I checked the life expectancy in that poo-hole is around 50 years. Moving to country like Germany automatically increases your life expectancy by about 30 years on the average.

What about opportunity? Yes you can make money in Nigeria but then how much are we talking about? Being a middle class doesn't spare your children the horror of everyday life in Nigerian or how uncertain the future look. Unless you are among the top earners in Nigeria which will afford you the means to ship your children abroad for a better life. Which brings me back to the question if Nigeria is that great after making the money since that is your sole indicator of a wonderful life why don't you leave your kids in Nigeria instead of carting them away?

To the average man on the street, Nigeria is one of the worse place to be born and to live in. Go to the west the average man on the street has a prospect if they work towards it. In Nigeria working hard towards your goal doesn't cut it, you have to be very lucky and know people. I know that there are group of people that will counter this point but my question to those people is to compare the number of those that did it without knowing anyone with those that knew someone. While when you look at the west the element of luck and knowing someone is insignificant on how your life turns out.

@thebosstrevor you won't know the quality of life until you get home from work, flip the switch and there is power. Step into your tube and take a warm bath thereafter relax in your sofa without any worries of whether the power will be on when you wake up in the morning or if the tap will be running in the morning. You wont known the quality of life or what it really means to make it until you have emergency medical condition and all you need to do is dial emergency services and their will be medical personnel right there at your home to save your life.

Even in your so called money haven- even if you managed to amass a lot of money when you have medical emergency the service you will get is a far cry from a decent one. I forgot all your billionaires are still running abroad for medical checkup.

Yes to me making it, is living in a society where everyone has equal or at least near equal opportunity of charting the course of their lives.

Making it to me is living in a society where I don't have to worry about the mundane things of life like security, health , education, human right, job security etc. You can be making money but mine and I can speak for most people is living in a decent society.

I share the same Views with u. Spot on

3 Likes

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by madridguy(m): 8:25pm On Dec 09, 2018
100% On Point.

6 Likes

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Emescot(m): 8:38pm On Dec 09, 2018
Who wants to die in this shithole country

4 Likes

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by emeijeh(m): 8:39pm On Dec 09, 2018
It's a counter thread..... . .

But who no like better thing ?

Queue up here, if you want to be commenting on nairaland.com from the occidental or oriental world
. grin

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Asquare84(m): 8:44pm On Dec 09, 2018
I have a simply question for you

(1) is Nigeria as a country is having a problem
(2) or people in Nigerian a problem to Nigerian as a country

It will interest you to know that we keep complaining how bad is Nigeria. But to obey simply traffic rule an average Nigerian citizen will never obey
Go to government hospital drugs that are meant to be giving to patients free or at subsidize rate will end in a pharmacy shop

Not talking of books that are meant for primary schools pupils will be sold be the head masters

My take is in as much our leaders are guilty of bad governance the citizen are also culpable.

The task of nation building lies with both citizens and leaders

1 Like

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by naunasabi: 9:11pm On Dec 09, 2018
Asquare84:
I have a simply question for you

(1) is Nigeria as a country is having a problem
(2) or people in Nigerian a problem to Nigerian as a country

It will interest you to know that we keep complaining how bad is Nigeria. But to obey simply traffic rule an average Nigerian citizen will never obey
Go to government hospital drugs that are meant to be giving to patients free or at subsidize rate will end in a pharmacy shop

Not talking of books that are meant for primary schools pupils will be sold be the head masters

My take is in as much our leaders are guilty of bad governance the citizen are also culpable.

The task of nation building lies with both citizens and leaders

To a large extent I agree with you but the truth is that the country has failed us all. In terms of blame I am placing more on the feet of the leader.

They were elected to direct the affairs of the country with all the required tools placed in their hands. It is within their power to ensure that laws are enforced. I am sure you would argue that those that are to enforce it are Nigerians that I agree with. But if the enforcers are fully aware that if they fail to enforce it they will loose their jobs or face jail terms my brother trust me the enforces will sit up. Nigerians are just like every other human across the world.

For instance if the leader of one of the most successful countries in Europe decided to ignore their jobs and focus only in siphoning public funds it is just a matter of time the enforces will not take their jobs seriously and within a short while the society will find itself where we are current at in Nigeria.

Every society needs to make laws and implement it, punish offenders and when offenders are aware that they will be punished people will sit up and in the long run we will have a near-sane society. Today in Nigeria our politicians are taking everyone for granted doing selective prosecution and they are only interested in prosecuting their political opponents. In terms of sanitizing the country no one cares and the system is rotting away right under their feet.

When it comes to the behavior of an average Nigerian a times I sympathize with them. I could understand their disregard for law and order ( though I am not in support of it in any form but I understand why it happens ) when the society in which they are part of does not regard them or even recognize their existence. Trust me Nigerian government does not care about the masses the interest of the masses is never their concern. When you provide your own water,, electricity, security, medical care, education for your children and even provide job for yourself automatically you are your own government and your "law" is the only "law" that governors your everyday life.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by oskaroni(m): 9:20pm On Dec 09, 2018
Nigeria is a living hell! The average Nigerian risks his or her life surviving in dz shyyte owl, doesn't matter where u re, at home, work, road, air undecided one's life ain't safe, na nigeria u go hear say police dey kill citizens because of #50, doctor do mistake kill patients, driver sleep off, nepa official no fix transformer well dem bring high voltage wey kill ppl,u go struggle enter uni, you go struggle graduate from uni, to see work na waec, u eventually see na 20k with hard labour, whereby those with no educational background re well paid because their leg long,wen u eventually get a visa to jah commot na to go church go gve testimony because U know u re escaping frm dz hell, rubbish!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by tensazangetsu20(m): 9:32pm On Dec 09, 2018
naunasabi:

To a large extent I agree with you but the truth is that the country has failed us all. In terms of blame I am placing more on the feet of the leader.

They were elected to direct the affairs of the country with all the required tools placed in their hands. It is within their power to ensure that laws are enforced. I am sure you would argue that those that are to enforce it are Nigerians that I agree with. But if the enforcers are fully aware that if they fail to enforce it they will loose their jobs or face jail terms my brother trust me the enforces will sit up. Nigerians are just like every other human across the world.

For instance if the leader of one of the most successful countries in Europe decided to ignore their jobs and focus only in siphoning public funds it is just a matter of time the enforces will not take their jobs seriously and within a short while the society will find itself where we are current at in Nigeria.

Every society needs to make laws and implement it, punish offenders and when offenders are aware that they will be punished people will sit up and in the long run we will have a near-sane society. Today in Nigeria our politicians are taking everyone for granted doing selective prosecution and they are only interested in prosecuting their political opponents. In terms of sanitizing the country no one cares and the system is rotting away right under their feet.

When it comes to the behavior of an average Nigerian a times I sympathize with them. I could understand their disregard for law and order ( though I am not in support of it in any form but I understand why it happens ) when the society in which they are part of does not regard them or even recognize their existence. Trust me Nigerian government does not care about the masses the interest of the masses is never their concern. When you provide your own water,, electricity, security, medical care, education for your children and even provide job for yourself automatically you are your own government and your "law" is the only "law" that governors your everyday life.
It's not just a Nigerian thing. The whole of Africa is cursed with evil and demonic leadership. Honestly, I have been opportuned to see how things are in developed countries and I am confused on what to do at the moment in Nigeria. It's like being cheated all your whole life only to find out what you believe to be normal is abnormal and insane in other parts of the world.
Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by naunasabi: 9:38pm On Dec 09, 2018
oskaroni:
Nigeria is a living hell!

Most people won't understand. Come out here and you will see our African brothers without any form of education living a decent live. I am not saying living large but at least their strength could put food on their tables, roof over their heads and they still have something to support their families back home as as far as their residual income can go. These same set of people have no future in Nigeria. If they were to stay in Nigeria their strength ( which is all they have to use ) can't even put a decent meal on their table let alone supporting a family. Yes to the very poor if you can leave please do now. For those whose parents have robbed the country dry you had better stay in Nigeria and enjoy your parents loot because if you come out here you will have to learn to work and get paid monthly salary even with your MSc the salary won't be anywhere near what your dad's company ( which was set up with stolen funds and are still used in milking the country dry ) will pay you as an executive member monthly.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by naunasabi: 9:41pm On Dec 09, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

It's not just a Nigerian thing. The whole of Africa is cursed with evil and demonic leadership. Honestly, I have been opportuned to see how things are in developed countries and I am confused on what to do at the moment in Nigeria. It's like being cheated all your whole life only to find out what you believe to be normal is abnormal and insane in other parts of the world.

My brother it is a very sad situation in Nigeria. It very complicated from how the countries were structured to how our cultures haven't evolved yet to giving us the impetus required to move forward.

1 Like

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by deleib(m): 9:45pm On Dec 09, 2018
jn
Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by tensazangetsu20(m): 10:04pm On Dec 09, 2018
naunasabi:

My brother it is a very sad situation in Nigeria. It very complicated from how the countries were structured to how our cultures haven't evolved yet to giving us the impetus required to move forward.
I blame the leaders for Africa's predicament. Let anyone say what they wanna say. They had all the powers to build powerful systems and did absolutely nothing. Look at Nigeria, no system was built no foundation was laid. Absolutely nothing was done and they want us average citizens with no power to change the country. If the government with all the guns, military and rule of law couldn't do anything, how much a powerless citizen.
Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by naunasabi: 10:20pm On Dec 09, 2018
tensazangetsu20:

I blame the leaders for Africa's predicament. Let anyone say what they wanna say. They had all the powers to build powerful systems and did absolutely nothing. Look at Nigeria, no system was built no foundation was laid. Absolutely nothing was done and they want us average citizens with no power to change the country. If the government with all the guns, military and rule of law couldn't do anything, how much a powerless citizen.

That is the problem. The one that is driving me crazy is the " you should create job for yourself and don't wait on government" I get pissed when I see young Nigerians buying into it. Don't get me wrong young people should try and create jobs for themselves but our politicians are making it seem as if it is no longer their duty as politicians. We elected them and we give them access to all the apparatus of the states to do their work they would rather neglect their jobs turn around and blame the ordinary man. The ordinary man has been defeated mentally and are instead of fighting back are now blaming themselves for their woes. Which to an extend is right in the sense that they have failed to fight for themselves they have failed to forced the politicians to do their jobs they have failed to hold them accountable. Rather we praise them for fixing potholes which is their job. We then thank them for setting up boreholes whereas their job is to set up water corporation that will in addition to providing constant supply of portable water will provide job for the masses. We praise them for donating cars to the police when it is part of their job function to properly fund the police force. It is sad how low we have fallen as a people.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Tellemall: 10:26pm On Dec 09, 2018
Sigh.

It rages on.

If everyone is so secure about their decisions to be where they are, they wouldn't need this back and forth.

1 Like

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Ugosample(m): 10:31pm On Dec 09, 2018
naunasabi:

Cc lastical, Seun, ishilove please help move our ministry to front page.

I knew someone will throw in a rebuttal cheesy grin

you have solid points there

2 Likes

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Chriswazo(m): 10:35pm On Dec 09, 2018
Naunasabi ride on, don't stop. Am learning a lot from your write ups.
Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Ugosample(m): 10:35pm On Dec 09, 2018
naunasabi:

Most people won't understand. Come out here and you will see our African brothers without any form of education living a decent live. I am not saying living large but at least their strength could put food on their tables, roof over their heads and they still have something to support their families back home as as far as their residual income can go. These same set of people have no future in Nigeria. If they were to stay in Nigeria their strength ( which is all they have to use ) can't even put a decent meal on their table let alone supporting a family. Yes to the very poor if you can leave please do now. For those whose parents have robbed the country dry you had better stay in Nigeria and enjoy your parents loot because if you come out here you will have to learn to work and get paid monthly salary even with your MSc the salary won't be anywhere near what your dad's company ( which was set up with stolen funds and are still used in milking the country dry ) will pay you as an executive member monthly.

grin cheesy
the last paragraph tho

1 Like

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Rextizzle(m): 6:44am On Dec 10, 2018
Hahaha very true
Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by naunasabi: 7:31am On Dec 10, 2018
Chriswazo:
Naunasabi ride on, don't stop. Am learning a lot from your write ups.

Good morning and thanks. We are here to learn from one another but its sad how most times our people address issues the only way it suits them without looking at from the other perspective. We Nigerians want to be right all the time I know for sure that the op from the original thread knows the truth but for some reason he wants to feel better about himself. It is neither here nor there but the reason why people chose otherwise might not necessarily be about the money. There is more to life than money.

While back home my neighbor who was a trader gets home at 7 from market puts on his gen and watches movie till 5am without minding that some of us that work in the bank/offices on the island have to sleep at night. We wake up early unrested because a neighbor couldn't be considerate. He has all day to sleep while we are gone because he has boys in his shop.

When I came out here to study I noticed that you dare not be loud enough within your own appartement such that you disturbed your neighbor between 10pm and 8am. If you are not sleepy respect others they might have different itinerary from you they might have to be at work very early or already asleep and needs to be up at the middle of the night for work. That is what respect of others and treating people with dignity is.

I don late make I go shower. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by AngelicBeing: 8:42am On Dec 10, 2018
Ugosample:

I knew someone will throw in a rebuttal cheesy grin

you have solid points there
cool

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by AngelicBeing: 8:44am On Dec 10, 2018
@Op, I agree with your position / points 1trillion percent, no need for me to post. cool

1 Like

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Ugosample(m): 8:49am On Dec 10, 2018
AngelicBeing:
cool
Yayyyyy!!!!!!!!

He is here cheesy grin cheesy

Do your thing brother, I need another good laugh

No mind the guy wey open the other thread
He no sabi wetin dey

2 Likes

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by rex444(m): 12:02pm On Dec 10, 2018
And after the fools we have as elders will open their kola stained teeth to call us lazy youths.. God dey see oo
Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Mizwisdom(f): 1:43pm On Dec 10, 2018
Same pips scoring points here will end up being rescued by the same country they loath when they get stranded in Libya grin
Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Chriswazo(m): 2:30pm On Dec 10, 2018
naunasabi:

Good morning and thanks. We are here to learn from one another but its sad how most times our people address issues the only way it suits them without looking at from the other perspective. We Nigerians want to be right all the time I know for sure that the op from the original thread knows the truth but for some reason he wants to feel better about himself. It is neither here nor there but the reason why people chose otherwise might not necessarily be about the money. There is more to life than money.

While back home my neighbor who was a trader gets home at 7 from market puts on his gen and watches movie till 5am without minding that some of us that work in the bank/offices on the island have to sleep at night. We wake up early unrested because a neighbor couldn't be considerate. He has all day to sleep while we are gone because he has boys in his shop.

When I came out here to study I noticed that you dare not be loud enough within your own appartement such that you disturbed your neighbor between 10pm and 8am. If you are not sleepy respect others they might have different itinerary from you they might have to be at work very early or already asleep and needs to be up at the middle of the night for work. That is what respect of others and treating people with dignity is.

I don late make I go shower. grin

Wow! Which country are you studying in?
Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by naunasabi: 6:47pm On Dec 10, 2018
Chriswazo:

Wow! Which country are you studying in?

I studied in Nederlands.
Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Chriswazo(m): 8:30pm On Dec 10, 2018
naunasabi:

I studied in Nederlands.

That's a great country, I hope to move to Europe next year for studies. Nice meeting you
Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Hadampson(m): 5:29am On Dec 11, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Same pips scoring points here will end up being rescued by the same country they loath when they get stranded in Libya grin

Another pidgin2 cheesy
Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by Hadampson(m): 5:43am On Dec 11, 2018
naunasabi:

That is the problem. The one that is driving me crazy is the " you should create job for yourself and don't wait on government" I get pissed when I see young Nigerians buying into it. Don't get me wrong young people should try and create jobs for themselves but our politicians are making it seem as if it is no longer their duty as politicians. We elected them and we give them access to all the apparatus of the states to do their work they would rather neglect their jobs turn around and blame the ordinary man. The ordinary man has been defeated mentally and are instead of fighting back are now blaming themselves for their woes. Which to an extend is right in the sense that they have failed to fight for themselves they have failed to forced the politicians to do their jobs they have failed to hold them accountable. Rather we praise them for fixing potholes which is their job. We then thank them for setting up boreholes whereas their job is to set up water corporation that will in addition to providing constant supply of portable water will provide job for the masses. We praise them for donating cars to the police when it is part of their job function to properly fund the police force. It is sad how low we have fallen as a people.

Bro, you are so on point
I swear no be only you. Some ignorant people go dey advice you say make you provide your own electricity( by using solar panel or inverter) water( by drilling BOREHOLE) work (by learning new handiwork) security (CCTV) and health ( herbal concortion grin)

Abeg wetin be the work of those polithiefcians if na me suppose do everything by MYSELF?

Oh.. I don forget say their work na to loot the public funds.

The guy thebosstrevor claimed that all the bad atrocities committed almost everyday in DWARF OF AFRICA also exist in the DEVELOPED COUNTRIES, i con ask him make hin just give me one example... The guy no reply at all.... E no serious at all

1 Like

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by naunasabi: 6:01am On Dec 11, 2018
Hadampson:

Bro, you are so on point
I swear no be only you. Some ignorant people go dey advice you say make you provide your own electricity( by using solar panel or inverter) water( by drilling BOREHOLE) work (by learning new handiwork) security (CCTV) and health ( herbal concortion grin)

Abeg wetin be the work of those polithiefcians if na me suppose do everything by MYSELF?

Oh.. I don forget say their work na to loot the public funds.

The guy thebosstrevor claimed that all the bad atrocities committed almost everyday in DWARF OF AFRICA also exist in the DEVELOPED COUNTRIES, i con ask him make hin just give me one example... The guy no reply at all.... E no serious at all

Maybe them bounce the guy visa application or after schooling for abroad them no gree give am kpali e come dey vex give people wey dey abroad.

Nigerian politicians are the worse set of human being.

1 Like

Re: Response To The Thread: Why Do Nigerians Think That They Can Only Make It Abroad by naunasabi: 6:02am On Dec 11, 2018
Chriswazo:

That's a great country, I hope to move to Europe next year for studies. Nice meeting you

Nice meeting you too bro!

(1) (Reply)

Travelling To Saudi Arabia / Tig Travels And Tours / Can Nigerian Deportee From Usa(overstayed Visa) Apply For Canada Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.