Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,579 members, 7,809,097 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:03 PM

Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) (1909 Views)

Guide To Air Layering Your Guava Tree / Man Ties Tree With Juju Cloth To Scare People, But See What Happened Next. Pics / Orange Tree Bears Tangerines In Osun (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Jakumo(m): 6:24am On Dec 10, 2018
Youtube fans in da house will no doubt be aware of this technique of producing copies of trees, but for those who may have missed this topic whilst browsing Youtube, I have included a few links for tutorial videos, which are self-explanatory.

This method of tree cloning produces copies of the parent tree that will have the SAME age and fruiting maturity of the parent tree, such that the newly created trees will bear fruit right away, at the same time during the season as the parent plant, even if the copy of the parent tree is still very small in stature.

The basic technique is dead easy. First, a suitable branch of the parent tree is selected, and then, using a sharp knife, a 2-inch long section of the tree bark is removed, and underlying brown CAMBION layer, is carefully scraped off to reveal the white wood underneath, ALL around the circumference of the branch.

Next, a piece of plastic sheeting is tied around the part of the branch that has been peeled of its bark, and shaped into a bag around the branch, into which moist soil, mixed with shredded coconut fiber, is packed, before the bag is tied off, and left for between one and three months, during which a mass of roots will develop inside that bag of soil.

The final stage of the process calls for simply cutting the branch of the tree that has been prepared as above, to detach that branch immediately below the area where those new roots have formed within the bag of soil affixed two months earlier. That tree branch is ready of planting into a container, after the plastic bag has been carefully removed, as the last-but-one stage during which more roots will form in that container, at which point the new tree clone can be planted out into the soil.

By using this method of tree cloning, it is possible to create a 3-foot high orange tree that will bear fruit right away, since the clone trees produced in this manner always fruit at the same time as the parent tree, given that the clones are of IDENTICAL maturity to the parent plant, despite the much smaller physical size of the clones. Below are a few youtubde videos illustrating the process.

Trees which are difficult to plant from seed or from cuttings, can be multiplied with ease, using this simple and cheap method. Try it in your farm or garden, and come back here to the Nairaland Agriculture forum, to share your results, which are GUARANTEED to be spectacularly successful.

Remember that your new clones must be watered HEAVILY at the time they are transplanted into flower pots that will encourage rapid root growth beyond that which occurred on the parent tree. That heavy watering at the time of transplant, will ensure that all the roots are in contact with soil, within that pot. A root exposed to air under ground, could die off, so that initial watering is vital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijsExpq6iL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXLflXg-rWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXCWxDkwREg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qviLRmiqrs8

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by kunleweb: 7:14am On Dec 10, 2018
OK
Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Heartbender: 7:26am On Dec 10, 2018
Cloning in Nigeria again?

Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Jakumo(m): 7:42am On Dec 10, 2018
Na so Megida. No forovlen. Baa magana.

All new trees produced in this manner can be called "Jubril of Sudan", which is a name I picked out of thin air, purely at random, don't ya know.

Now this is an interesting idea to grow dwarf pawpaw (papaya) trees, that bear heavy loads of fruit when only four feet tall. Talk about a conversation piece, when fellow farmers visit your fruit orchard or home. This technique is used in Thailand, where this video was evidently made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rP8DjLC-qk

3 Likes

Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by whirlwind7(m): 1:54pm On Dec 11, 2018
Jakumo:
Youtube fans in da house will no doubt be aware of this technique of producing copies of trees, but for those who may have missed this topic whilst browsing Youtube, I have included a few links for tutorial videos, which are self-explanatory.

This method of tree cloning produces copies of the parent tree that will have the SAME age and fruiting maturity of the parent tree, such that the newly created trees will bear fruit right away, at the same time during the season as the parent plant, even if the copy of the parent tree is still very small in stature.

The basic technique is dead easy. First, a suitable branch of the parent tree is selected, and then, using a sharp knife, a 2-inch long section of the tree bark is removed, and underlying brown CAMBION layer, is carefully scraped off to reveal the white wood underneath, ALL around the circumference of the branch.

Next, a piece of plastic sheeting is tied around the part of the branch that has been peeled of its bark, and shaped into a bag around the branch, into which moist soil, mixed with shredded coconut fiber, is packed, before the bag is tied off, and left for between one and three months, during which a mass of roots will develop inside that bag of soil.

The final stage of the process calls for simply cutting the branch of the tree that has been prepared as above, to detach that branch immediately below the area where those new roots have formed within the bag of soil affixed two months earlier. That tree branch is ready of planting into a container, after the plastic bag has been carefully removed, as the last-but-one stage during which more roots will form in that container, at which point the new tree clone can be planted out into the soil.

By using this method of tree cloning, it is possible to create a 3-foot high orange tree that will bear fruit right away, since the clone trees produced in this manner always fruit at the same time as the parent tree, given that the clones are of IDENTICAL maturity to the parent plant, despite the much smaller physical size of the clones. Below are a few youtubde videos illustrating the process.

Trees which are difficult to plant from seed or from cuttings, can be multiplied with ease, using this simple and cheap method. Try it in your farm or garden, and come back here to the Nairaland Agriculture forum, to share your results, which are GUARANTEED to be spectacularly successful.

Remember that your new clones must be watered HEAVILY at the time they are transplanted into flower pots that will encourage rapid root growth beyond that which occurred on the parent tree. That heavy watering at the time of transplant, will ensure that all the roots are in contact with soil, within that pot. A root exposed to air under ground, could die off, so that initial watering is vital.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijsExpq6iL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXLflXg-rWM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgKrIelx6WI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DAgrszfflY

This post and the accompanying videos are much appreciated.

Thanks, bro!

2 Likes

Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Jakumo(m): 4:56pm On Dec 11, 2018
whirlwind7:

This post and the accompanying videos are much appreciated.

Thanks, bro!

Thanks for checking out this topic, Whirlwind. This technique works 90% of the time, but it is essential to water the newly removed rooted tree branches heavily at the time of transplant into pots, to ensure there are no air spaces around the new roots. Copious watering will also greatly improve the quality of the cloned plant, over subsequent weeks. It is NOT advisable to plant a cloned branch directly into the soil, as it may dry out. This is why an intermediate stage of nurturing the new clone in a pot, is best practice, for this method.

As an example that testifies to the efficacy of this tree reproduction method, I bought 4,000 ( four thousand) seeds of Miracle Fruit tree, from an online seed retailer in Florida. I planted those 4,000 seeds, and was shocked to see that only 12 (twelve) of those seeds germinated, and grew into trees. My online research on this tree, called "Agbayun" or "Agbayunkun" in the Yoruba language, confirmed that it is virtually impossible to grow it from seed, and it was that discovery that set me on the path to learn a better and more reliable method of propagating trees.

Miracle Fruit, when eaten a few minutes before a meal, can be used to "trick" the taste buds into perceiving even sour foods, such as lemon, to actually taste sweet, as though sugar had been added. These fruits are therefore a life-saver for anyone on doctor's orders to remove sugar from their diet. Ironically, the Miracle Fruit does not taste excessively sweet on its own. Nature is full of such wonders, as I discover time and time again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synsepalum_dulcificum

To cut a long story short, I waited patiently for those handful of Miracle Fruit trees to reach maturity as fruiting trees, and then proceeded to make cloned copies using the technique outlined in my first post above. Most of those trees are now thriving and fruiting abundantly. To obtain faster root production inside the plastic bags used to contain soil on the parent tree, I ordered root hormone, sold under the trade name Clonex, which does work as advertised, when smeared on the peeled branch surface, triggering the production of roots much quicker, and in greater density, when compared with the clones produced without the benefit of the hormone.

https://www.discountedhydroponics.com/shop/clonex-rooting-gel-250-ml/

Another tree that is virtually impossible to grow from seeds, or from cuttings, is Barbados Cherry, or Acerola, whose fruit contain orders of magnitude more Vitamin C, than is present in Oranges. I have also been able to multiply Acerola tree with no problems at all, using this process of air layering, exactly as shown in the above videos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malpighia_emarginata

Over to you, Nairaland farmers and gardeners. Try this method, and give us an update when your success with tree multiplication takes root, as it were.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by roolnaado(m): 9:16pm On Dec 12, 2018
Wow, 12 in 4000 seeds germinated. I know the agbayun seeds is difficult to grow from the seed especially if you've licked it. However I sun-dried some and it developed into seedling. The air-layering is an interesting method, I hope to try it soon.

Does it work for all plants?

Jakumo:

Thanks for checking out this topic, Whirlwind. This technique works 90% of the time, but it is essential to water the newly removed rooted tree branches heavily at the time of transplant into pots, to ensure there are no air spaces around the new roots. Copious watering will also greatly improve the quality of the cloned plant, over subsequent weeks. It is NOT advisable to plant a cloned branch directly into the soil, as it may dry out. This is why an intermediate stage of nurturing the new clone in a pot, is best practice, for this method.

As an example that testifies to the efficacy of this tree reproduction method, I bought 4,000 ( four thousand) seeds of Miracle Fruit tree, from an online seed retailer in Florida. I planted those 4,000 seeds, and was shocked to see that only 12 (twelve) of those seeds germinated, and grew into trees. My online research on this tree, called "Agbayun" or "Agbayunkun" in the Yoruba language, confirmed that it is virtually impossible to grow it from seed, and it was that discovery that set me on the path to learn a better and more reliable method of propagating trees.

Miracle Fruit, when eaten a few minutes before a meal, can be used to "trick" the taste buds into perceiving even sour foods, such as lemon, to actually taste sweet, as though sugar had been added. These fruits are therefore a life-saver for anyone on doctor's orders to remove sugar from their diet. Ironically, the Miracle Fruit does not taste excessively sweet on its own. Nature is full of such wonders, as I discover time and time again.

To cut a long story short, I waited patiently for those handful of Miracle Fruit trees to reach maturity as fruiting trees, and then proceeded to make cloned copies using the technique outlined in my first post above. Most of those trees are now thriving and fruiting abundantly. To obtain faster root production inside the plastic bags used to contain soil on the parent tree, I ordered root hormone, sold under the trade name Clonex, which does work as advertised, when smeared on the peeled branch surface, triggering the production of roots much quicker, and in greater density, when compared with the clones produced without the benefit of the hormone.

Another tree that is virtually impossible to grow from seeds, or from cuttings, is Barbados Cherry, or Acerola, whose fruit contain orders of magnitude more Vitamin C, than is present in Oranges. I have also been able to multiply Acerola tree with no problems at all, using this process of air layering, exactly as shown in the above videos.

Over to you, Nairaland farmers and gardeners. Try this method, and give us an update when your success with tree multiplication takes root, as it were.

Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Jakumo(m): 6:37am On Dec 13, 2018
roolnaado:
Wow, 12 in 4000 seeds germinated. I know the agbayun seeds is difficult to grow from the seed especially if you've licked it. However I sun-dried some and it developed into seedling. The air-layering is an interesting method, I hope to try it soon.

Does it work for all plants?

Hello Roolnado. This technique works for virtually all trees with woody stems, but a modified version of air layering does also work for pawpaw trees, as shown in the video in my second post above, where a deep cut is made into the stem of a side-shoot already growing off the pawpaw tree's main stem, and a plastic bag of soil tied to that wound, to encourage root growth out of that cut in the stem.

What I find so unusual about the air layering technique, is that the genetically identical copies of the parent tree start fruiting when they are still very small versions of the original tree, such that you can have cloned orange trees bearing fruit when they are only two or three feet tall, making them ideal for home backyard gardens.

2 Likes

Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Abramgreen: 11:49am On Jan 14, 2019
Thanks for this post.
Cambio is Cambium.
Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by suyamasta(m): 1:12pm On Jan 14, 2019
Jakumo:

Hello Roolnado. This technique works for virtually all trees with woody stems, but a modified version of air layering does also work for pawpaw trees, as shown in the video in my second post above, where a deep cut is made into the stem of a side-shoot already growing off the pawpaw tree's main stem, and a plastic bag of soil tied to that wound, to encourage root growth out of that cut in the stem.

What I find so unusual about the air layering technique, is that the genetically identical copies of the parent tree start fruiting when they are still very small versions of the original tree, such that you can have cloned orange trees bearing fruit when they are only two or three feet tall, making them ideal for home backyard gardens.
Thanks for sharing this great piece of knowledge.
But how long did it take for the cloned plants to start fruiting normal?
Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Juliana7: 9:31pm On Jan 14, 2019
Wow! Op this is great. Thanks
Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Jakumo(m): 7:33am On Jan 15, 2019
suyamasta:

Thanks for sharing this great piece of knowledge.
But how long did it take for the cloned plants to start fruiting normal?

MaiSuya thanks for stopping by. As a good example of the amazing speed at which fruit will form on a newly cloned tree, I have a couple of Barbados Cherry clones that started out as branches on the parent tree, and which are producing fruit just 2 months after being transplanted into wooden pots placed in a few inches of standing water. I will see if I can get a decent photograph to post here, that will capture the newly forming fruit, and the fact that the clone is less than 3 feet tall, thriving in a wooden container as the final step before ultimately being planted into the ground.
Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by suyamasta(m): 9:16am On Jan 15, 2019
Jakumo:

MaiSuya thanks for stopping by. As a good example of the amazing speed at which fruit will form on a newly cloned tree, I have a couple of Barbados Cherry clones that started out as branches on the parent tree, and which are producing fruit just 2 months after being transplanted into wooden pots placed in a few inches of standing water. I will see if I can get a decent photograph to post here, that will capture the newly forming fruit, and the fact that the clone is less than 3 feet tall, thriving in a wooden container as the final step before ultimately being planted into the ground.
wawawuuu 2months omg that's super fast o
Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Jakumo(m): 12:21pm On Jan 15, 2019
Here are a couple of photographs of my cloned trees created from branches of ten-year-old ACEROLA (Barbados Cherry) trees.

Acerola is a highly nutritious fruit that has antibacterial, anti-fungal, and anti-oxidant properties, in addition to listing among the top three fruits on earth, in terms of Vitamin C content. By comparison, the Vitamin C content per unit weight of oranges, is estimated to be less than one tenth the Vitamin C content of Acerola, quantified per unit weight.

In the accompanying pictures, I positioned the camera to capture one of several clusters of unripe Acerola fruit, along with the container in which this miniaturized, yet mature tree is growing. These wooden plant pots measure 3 feet tall, by 2 feet square in cross section, and stand in a couple of inches of water, to provide irrigation directly to the roots. It is unexpected to see a fully mature, fruit-bearing tree thriving in such a small container.

The second photograph shows another Acerola tree that is completely covered in flowers, most of which will mature into fruit over the next month or so. This tree will certainly merit a follow-up picture here, when those fruit start to appear.

These clones were created on the parent tree over a two month time-span, using the method in the youtube videos I linked above, after which the rooting branch was carefully sawed off the parent tree just below the newly formed roots, and transplanted into these wooden boxes and plastic buckets shown in these photographs, just two months ago.

1 Like

Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by suyamasta(m): 12:51pm On Jan 15, 2019
Baba you too much! Good success to you
Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Enoet(f): 3:22pm On Jan 15, 2019
Akwa Ibom.... Oya ooo

Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by abilityC: 2:30pm On Jan 17, 2019
Jakumo:

Broooooo please i have been searching for this plant ever since i read about it, one seller from Thailand that almost sold the seed to me said its sold out at the moment that i need to wait some weeks for new seeds.

Please can you sell one of the plants or seeds to me i really am interested in growing the miracle berry plant ?
Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Jakumo(m): 4:16pm On Jan 17, 2019
abilityC:
Broooooo please i have been searching for this plant ever since i read about it, one seller from Thailand that almost sold the seed to me said its sold out at the moment that i need to wait some weeks for new seeds.

Please can you sell one of the plants or seeds to me i really am interested in growing the miracle berry plant ?

Barbados Cherry (Acerola) and Miracle Fruit ( Yoruba name Agbayun ) are both EXTREMELY difficult to grow from seed. Both of these seeds are available when in season, from Trade Winds seed seller online, but be prepared to observe that only a very tiny percentage of those seeds will sprout, and survive to become fruiting trees.

Here is the link for Acerola, at $2 USD per seed, when in season. http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/malpighia-punicifolia-acerola-seeds

Miracle Fruit buy link. These are very costly at $4.50 each http://www.tradewindsfruit.com/synsepalum-dulcificum-miracle-fruit-seeds

To show how low the rate of germination can be, I bought 100 Acerola seeds a decade ago, and only saw TWENTY trees from all that expense.

It is those twenty Acerola trees that I am now multiplying by air layering, though at present I have too few to sell.

Similarly with Miracle Fruit, my success rate with purchased seeds was ZERO, so I wound up buying seedlings from a person who has a small orchard of those precious trees, but no longer sells seedlings.

Best bet, wait till the above seeds are in season, buy them online, and be ready to see a very tiny rate of survival.

1 Like

Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by abilityC: 5:12pm On Jan 17, 2019
@op Jakumo i noticed you replied but its not visible please i am highly interested can you reply ?
Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by Jakumo(m): 5:17pm On Jan 18, 2019
abilityC:
@op Jakumo i noticed you replied but its not visible please i am highly interested can you reply ?

I replied with online links where seeds of many varieties can be purchased, but the post magically deleted itself, so I can only suggest that you search the usual way online.

Best of luck my brother.

Na condition make crayfish bend. E get as e be.
Re: Clone ANY Tree To Create Mature Copies In TWO Months. ( Air Layering ) by abilityC: 5:37pm On Jan 18, 2019
Jakumo:

I replied with online links where seeds of many varieties can be purchased, but the post magically deleted itself, so I can only suggest that you search the usual way online.

Best of luck my brother.

Na condition make crayfish bend. E get as e be.
I know sites online to buy the seed but it is very difficult to grow from seed especially buying from abroad thats why i was happy to find this your post seeing that you are the first person im coming across in Nigeria to have it readily available and i did not ask for free ooo, but na wa you sha, no wahala i go see am one day

(1) (Reply)

This The Most Expensive Insect Costs 34 Million Naira: Photo / All About Battery Cage Poultry System / See What Was Caught On My Street Today (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.