Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,282 members, 7,807,945 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 11:23 PM

New States May Emerge October - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / New States May Emerge October (5591 Views)

Audu's Wife May Emerge As Deputy Governor / Tinubu May Emerge as APC BoT chairman / Eshilokun May Emerge As Lagos Speaker (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

New States May Emerge October by chyz(m): 7:20am On Aug 02, 2010
[size=18pt] ‘New state may emerge October’
[/size]

Written by Kunle Oderemi, Lagos Monday, 02 August 2010

BARRING any last minute change by the authorities, new states may be announced on October 1, to coincide with the 50th independence anniversary of the country.

A source told the Nigerian Tribune in Lagos, at the weekend, that the thinking in official quarters was to make it a special gift for the agitators for new states on the historic date.

The source hinted that the plan was for President Goodluck Jonathan to announce the new states in his national broadcast to mark the independence anniversary.

But the source was silent on the level of collaboration of the presidency with the National Assembly, which had received hordes of memoranda for new states.

There was also no clue on the number of states that might be created, though the authorities had said the whole exercise would be based on merit.

About 25 requests for new states had been tabled before the National Assembly by various groups to replace the existing 36 state structure.

Some of the proposed states include Lagoon state from Lagos; Oke-Ogun from Oyo; Oduduwa from Osun and Savannah from Borno.

It will be recalled that the Senate President, David Mark, recently promised the creation of new states in line with the yearnings of the people.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/index.php/news/9071-new-state-may-emerge-october
Re: New States May Emerge October by geebeeohh(m): 9:18am On Aug 02, 2010
Jack Sh*t,bullsh*t,horse sh*t,take your pick.
Re: New States May Emerge October by snowdrops(m): 9:22am On Aug 02, 2010
nonsense dog poo horse urine
Re: New States May Emerge October by DejiYesufu(m): 9:34am On Aug 02, 2010
I was just going to make a post on this topic and here it is already!
WE DO NOT NEED MORE STATES IN THIS COUNTRY, WHAT WE NEED IS GOOD GOVERNANCE! The rate we are going we would may end up with every LGA becoming a state - 774!! This state creation benefis just a few people who make it to state government and begin to milk such state dry.
Let this country return to having Six geopolitical sections,with its 774 LGA. Let the power at the centre be reduced and make the LGA more powerful. Reform the electoral process, ensure free and fair electio; liberalize the energy sector and make this country move forward.
Let someone in Abuja put on someone thinking cap for once!!! angry
Re: New States May Emerge October by snowdrops(m): 9:44am On Aug 02, 2010
DejiYesufu:

WE DO NOT NEED MORE STATES IN THIS COUNTRY, WHAT WE NEED IS GOOD GOVERNANCE! The rate we are going we would may end up with every LGA becoming a state - 774!! This state creation benefis just a few people who make it to state government and begin to milk such state dry.
Let this country return to having Six geopolitical sections,with its 774 LGA. Let the power at the centre be reduced and make the LGA more powerful. Reform the electoral process, ensure free and fair electio; liberalize the energy sector and make this country move forward.

What wonderful suggestions. Unfortunately those who have an iron grip on power are well aware of what will move Nigeria forward, but because such will not favour them personally them fight tooth and nail to maintain the status quo.
Re: New States May Emerge October by Nobody: 10:12am On Aug 02, 2010
All those advocating for more states are selfish people who are only pushing the cause for their own benefit at the expense of the poor masses. Most of those states would end up under-developed despite the huge allocation from abuja.useless people
Re: New States May Emerge October by BluMalam(m): 12:06pm On Aug 02, 2010
Is it too late for me to forward my own proposal? I also wanna be Governor. If you can't beat 'em, join 'em.
Re: New States May Emerge October by jfking2005(m): 12:06pm On Aug 02, 2010
Dont mind them , you will not be surprise that those advocating for new state will the set of people who will be running at all cost to be governor, Speaker, Commissioner and the rest.
Claiming it is the fruit of thier labour at the expense of the citizens of the proposed states.Looting and Godfathering the state.
Re: New States May Emerge October by mrkoma2012: 12:08pm On Aug 02, 2010
Are any of the states in the country viable?Those governance/democracy equal meaningfull development to the masses?Do the so called leader care for nigeria?Simply answer is no and they are so conceited to conclude that they'll never be held to account for their actions so let them create more states and place members of their family to govern them.Idiots
Re: New States May Emerge October by 2sleek2NV(m): 12:27pm On Aug 02, 2010
@ DejiYesufu, i really agree with you but i think there are some states that need new states to be created off them. KWARA is my first pick. Very confused state. They dont know if they are Hausa or Yoruba, Christians or Muslims. And also to break the Saraki grip on the state.

Picture this:

Imagine Lagoon state coming out of Lagos state (since water is the only natural means for land demarcation), the Lagoon state (AM THINKING) would cut VI off the mainland. imagine people living in Ogun state and working on the island Crossing 2 states to get to the island.
Re: New States May Emerge October by yemmight(m): 12:31pm On Aug 02, 2010
A new state from Lagos? It doesn't make sense.
Re: New States May Emerge October by Nobody: 12:46pm On Aug 02, 2010
yemmight:

Another state from Lagos? It doesn't make sense.
the thing tire me o . . .when some others are even calling on lagos to merge with ogun state.you can see how greedy people could be.
Re: New States May Emerge October by kufreabasi(m): 1:12pm On Aug 02, 2010
More state, more problems.
Re: New States May Emerge October by prince0011: 1:20pm On Aug 02, 2010
what a shame,
Re: New States May Emerge October by Hopar: 1:37pm On Aug 02, 2010
Dats rubbish.
Re: New States May Emerge October by EzeUche22(m): 1:56pm On Aug 02, 2010
Why not revert back to regional governments?

Instead of the creation of more states, we should be consolidating our states.
Re: New States May Emerge October by cliveland: 1:59pm On Aug 02, 2010
@ if the one's we currently have are well off, D GOD WILL FOREVER PUNISH THOSE BASTARDS IN ABUJA.
Some states are actually been run from a gov's home and they want to create more for who and of what important, bo bi only Lagoon State na ocean state.
Re: New States May Emerge October by trublu1(f): 2:00pm On Aug 02, 2010
blimey! how many 'states' do we need, maybe they want to compete with US
Re: New States May Emerge October by becomrich3: 2:06pm On Aug 02, 2010
[size=38pt]EzeUche22 , may they should cancel or reduce the state.

State to cancel

enugu,
ebonyi
abia.
gombe,
zamfara,
nassarawa
taraba

you can see the satellite picture already.and make abuja a state. to give you 30. EzeUche22 that what you prefer. And they are just telling lie again. The PDP is not know for been honest.
[/size]
Re: New States May Emerge October by Acidosis(m): 2:07pm On Aug 02, 2010
They have being saying this for a long time. .
Re: New States May Emerge October by Nobody: 2:16pm On Aug 02, 2010
EzeUche22:

Why not revert back to regional governments?

Instead of the creation of more states, we should be consolidating our states.
that idea wont fly because of the presidential system of government which tends to put more power in the hands of the president.Even if it works well elsewhere,it wont work in naija.Stronger regions would pose threats to the central governmment.more states may cause more disintegration and loss of tribal influence.
tru_blu:

blimey! how many 'states' do we need, maybe they want to compete with US
it's not about competition infact we may have more states than the US but the efficiency and ability of those states to survive without necessarily waiting for the monthly federal allowee is the most important factor to consider. . .why would anybody want to split a tiny lagos states if not for selfish reason ?
Re: New States May Emerge October by kaiosama(m): 2:17pm On Aug 02, 2010
that lagoon state must be for people living in the Lagos lagoon, i guess?. naija! u na wan give the poor people living in the lagoon their own state make dem go die finish. but come oo!, na who go be their governor?. never mind, trust Naija politicians, that issue no bi problem, before u know wetin dey happen dem go begin contest election for inside lagoon.  grin shocked
Re: New States May Emerge October by kaiosama(m): 2:20pm On Aug 02, 2010
how many states are coming out from the eastern part? i hope say no bi tribalism u na dey play for that house wey u na dey.
Re: New States May Emerge October by jotopayo: 2:26pm On Aug 02, 2010
I think that the President simply wants to dance to the tune of certain people, but however lets keep our fingers crossed to see what the President would come up with come october. He also wants to get his name into the history books tongue
Re: New States May Emerge October by Nobody: 2:35pm On Aug 02, 2010
jotopayo:

I think that the President simply wants to dance to the tune of certain people, but however lets keep our fingers crossed to see what the President would come up with come october. He also wants to get his name into the history books tongue
write his name in history book for creating states that would end up like shanties. .absolute insane
Re: New States May Emerge October by babariches: 2:40pm On Aug 02, 2010
DejiYesufu:

You are right. I don't understand the problem of our leaders.
it like someone that his house is on fire and his dancing outside.
There are many problems to be solve in the country like power, security,
roads, education and medical but here we are they are creation another problem
debating on state creation.

I beg this is nonsense jare.
Re: New States May Emerge October by Nchara: 2:45pm On Aug 02, 2010
Nigeria needs 6 states ONLY. Two in the SE, one each in the SS, SW, NC and NE and none for NW. So every zone has equal number of states:7. Or we go back to zones (6 zones) and abrogate all the states- actually a preferred option.
Re: New States May Emerge October by rhemakc(f): 2:46pm On Aug 02, 2010
They have started again o,
Re: New States May Emerge October by bracelet: 2:46pm On Aug 02, 2010
As against the creation of more states. I propose  a merger between some states. State merger is what we need rigth now.
Re: New States May Emerge October by xterra2(m): 2:57pm On Aug 02, 2010
It would cause more problems
We dont need any new state again the 36 we have is enough
Let us have good governance
Re: New States May Emerge October by courage89(m): 3:01pm On Aug 02, 2010
@ Deji Yesufu

Spot on man.
Imagine how much more money will need to be expensed to run these new states efficiently. Creation of new House of Assembly, new estacodes, more embezzlement, new god fatherism.
Re: New States May Emerge October by martinosi: 3:11pm On Aug 02, 2010
NEW STATES, EVERY BODY GET READY TO RE-DO YOUR CV AND OTHER DOCUMENTS LOL

CANT EVEN REMEMBER WHICH STATE I FROM RIGHT NOW!!! LOL!

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Ivory Coast Elections -- Cia, Freemasons, Imf / A Recap On Dim Chuwkuemeka Ojukwu / The Situation In Yorubaland

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.