Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,340 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:32 AM

Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG (43849 Views)

Update On ASUU Meeting With Federal Government (pics) / ASUU: See Outcome Of Todays ASUU Meeting With Federal Government / ASUU To Suspend Strike After Closed Door Meeting With FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by jmaine: 7:43am On Dec 11, 2018
Warship:

Stanford University in US makes money from the commercialization of their research works in order to fund the university.

The problem with our higher institutions is their inability to find a way to commercialize their research works just as other advanced universities.

Universities ought to be the richest institutions because of their capacity to develop socioeconomic products that can generate funds for them.

Example

Nigerian Military needs drones to fight BH.

How many universities have taken the bold step to develop a military drone that can be sold to the military.?

Imagine comparing Stanford University to a Nigerian university and the USA to Nigeria socioeconomically..

Kontinu..
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Mizwisdom(f): 7:47am On Dec 11, 2018
backnbeta:

I understand your ignorance because you don't understand how this things work! Nigerian public universities have no autonomy. All funds are remitted through the TSA. Even international research grants are monitored. The government needs to fund education and ensure that all projects are 'double' monitored to ensure funds are not syphoned. Our universities are simply underfunded. Until the government is forced to implement good policies, there will be strikes upon strikes.

Our national annual budget is too small to fund all schools. Private funding is also an option. What happened to the N200m disbursed to them previously?
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Warship: 7:47am On Dec 11, 2018
jmaine:

Appears You know very little about the university processes. During accreditation, most HODs don't joke with it and will make sure the right equipment are purchased but after that they relax and adopt the "manage it" style of a typical Nigerian with intermittent corrupt acts.

Major Procurement in recent times are done from the University procurement unit not manned by any Academic staff or ASUU and that is where the money is been siphoned with inflated purchases.

The money HODs control are the DTLC paid on a quarterly basis for reagents et al.,

You are ignorant of what is going on in the universities.

I know a university where the Biochemistry department HOD diverted 5m and use only 3m to buy trash and caused the department their accreditation.

If I start talking here, you will run.

FG needs to open a website where every accreditation funds are stated and the equipments/materials bought are stated including the costs so that the public can go and confirm the true cost in order to make corruption difficult to go unnoticed.

1 Like

Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by kingzjay(m): 7:49am On Dec 11, 2018
Most of the people in the negotiating team of the FG own their private universities and you expect anything reasonable from them!

Most of the public universities are terribly decayed. No lecture halls, poor sanitary conditions and lack teaching facilities.

All they do is divert the funds meant for public schools and establish, fund and equip their private schools, which only the elite can afford.

HOW DID WE GET HERE
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Mizwisdom(f): 7:50am On Dec 11, 2018
Warship:

Stanford University in US makes money from the commercialization of their research works in order to fund the university.

The problem with our higher institutions is their inability to find a way to commercialize their research works just as other advanced universities.

Universities ought to be the richest institutions because of their capacity to develop socioeconomic products that can generate funds for them.

Example

How many universities have taken the bold step to develop military drones that can be sold to the military.?

Nigerians need cheaper energy, how many Nigerian universities have developed biogas systems that can be sold to residential homes, offices etc.?

What our universities are good at, is to divert Accreditation funds instead of buying the equipments needed and yet they make no effort to encourage students-staff research works at departmental level.

Good points you raised there.
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Warship: 7:51am On Dec 11, 2018
jmaine:

Imagine comparing Stanford University to a Nigerian university and the USA to Nigeria socioeconomically..

Kontinu..

Do you work in the university.?

Do you think everybody here na student like you.?

I am telling you what is going on and you are arguing with me.
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Warship: 7:55am On Dec 11, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Our national annual budget is too small to fund all schools. Private funding is also an option. What happened to the N200m disbursed to them previously?

Private funding is the only option left except Nigeria will increase her GDP which is nearly impossible because we do not want to restructure Nigeria.

I have always advised people to tell FG to connect private companies with the universities on the following basis:

1) Upgrading of the labs/workshops.

2) Financing and Commercialization of research works.

3) Tax break every 10years to motivate private companies to continue supporting the universities.

4) First 5years Tax exemption for every new products developed within our universities.

1 Like

Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by maisauki: 7:58am On Dec 11, 2018
olumose001:
their meeting is now weekly episodes of an inconclusive series
Sense wee not kee u
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Mizwisdom(f): 8:01am On Dec 11, 2018
Warship:

Private funding is the only option left except Nigeria will increase her GDP which is nearly impossible because we do not want to restructure Nigeria.

I have always advised people to tell FG to connect private companies with the universities on the following basis:

1) Upgrading of the labs/workshops.

2) Financing and Commercialization of research works.

3) Tax break every 10years to motivate private companies to continue supporting the universities.

4) First 5years Tax exemption for every new products developed within our universities.

Agreed. But how come so called highly educated Lecturers can't reason like this? All they do is to go on frequent strikes
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by emmasege: 8:07am On Dec 11, 2018
olumose001:
their meeting is now weekly episodes of an inconclusive series
Don't mind them. At this stage, the President or his vice should be meeting with ASUU, not an helpless Nigige.

If Bubu (abi se na Jubril?) can't meet with ASUU, why not the fake pastor who is busy buying votes ahead of time, from one state to another? The truth is there's no longer government in Nigeria, that's why Nigige will still be meeting with ASUU almost six weeks since they embarked on strike.

1 Like

Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by jmaine: 8:14am On Dec 11, 2018
Warship:

Do you work in the university.?

Do you think everybody here na student like you.?

I am telling you what is going on and you are arguing with me.

Taaa! Keep quiet there. What do you know... angry
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by jmaine: 8:20am On Dec 11, 2018
Warship:

You are ignorant of what is going on in the universities.

I know a university where the Biochemistry department HOD diverted 5m and use only 3m to buy trash and caused the department their accreditation.

If I start talking here, you will run.

FG needs to open a website where every accreditation funds are stated and the equipments/materials bought are stated including the costs so that the public can go and confirm the true cost in order to make corruption difficult to go unnoticed.

HOD handling N5 million naira to buy equipment.? You are not talking to a kid please. Buying such will come from the University procurement unit unless that school has serious Admin issues.
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Kingdelex(m): 8:20am On Dec 11, 2018
I'm not surprise that this is happening
when we cast our vote for illiterate

2019 is coming let vote out this association of political chicanery
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Warship: 8:28am On Dec 11, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Agreed. But how come so called highly educated Lecturers can't reason like this? All they do is to go on frequent strikes

Because Education is not Wisdom.

Someone can be highly educated but extremely foolish/stupid.

1 Like

Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Friyo1920: 9:00am On Dec 11, 2018
With the look of things it will be called off next week 17th
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by DateMynd44(m): 9:30am On Dec 11, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:
Let it be January ending pls.
I tell u. I really need money for the new session
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Deasegun19(m): 9:53am On Dec 11, 2018
Bossontop:
undecided Make una go find work do ooo....even if na....... Life must contnue
a f7cker and womanizer. what a combo
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Paschalp(m): 10:01am On Dec 11, 2018
DrAmy:

OGA you're drunk o! E be like say you no wan graduate?
grin grin grin I wan graduate ooo. I'm just consoling my anger for fg and ASUU
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Juliearth(f): 10:35am On Dec 11, 2018
IFEOLUWAKRIZ:

Ahn. That's terrible ooo. March kee. Some schools are still on second semester before this ugly strike incident.

Too bad then.
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by BluntBoy(m): 11:30am On Dec 11, 2018
It is not like ASUU is any better.

The government should settle them and then find a way to overhaul the rotten system.

You can imagine a lecturer in a centre of research using grants to build houses and party with young girls instead of researching.

And these old men/women would be depending on the results of researches conducted by young scientists from other countries.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Nobody: 3:30pm On Dec 11, 2018
Warship:

Example

How many universities have taken the bold step to develop military drones that can be sold to the military.?

Nigerians need cheaper energy, how many Nigerian universities have developed biogas systems that can be sold to residential homes, offices etc.?

What our universities are good at, is to divert Accreditation funds instead of buying the equipments needed and yet they make no effort to encourage students-staff research works at departmental level.
How can they develop anything or commercialize their research works when the lecturers keep teaching their students outdated curriculum, they barely update their curriculum, so tell me how they can commercialize any research? if you want to commercialize a research, it has to be something spectacular and not outdated. Also about developing this and that, they won't be able to develop any thing until the government supply universities with adequate facilities, laboratories needed for such development to occur.
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Warship: 4:27pm On Dec 11, 2018
Colourich:
How can they develop anything or commercial their research works when the lecturers keep teaching their students outdated curriculum, they barely update their curriculum, so tell me how they can commercialize any research? if you want to commercialize a research, it has to be something spectacular and not outdated. Also about developing this and that, they won't be able to develop any thing until the government supply universities with adequate facilities, laboratories needed for such development to occur.

That's not true using Ojukwu Biafra that developed wonders with few equipments.

Most just want to loot money for Accreditation and nothing more.
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Nobody: 5:08pm On Dec 11, 2018
Warship:

That's not true using Ojukwu Biafra that developed wonders with few equipments.

Most just want to loot money for Accreditation and nothing more.
Looting which money? Nigerian universities are greatly underfunded and its affecting them.

1 Like

Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Warship: 5:16pm On Dec 11, 2018
Colourich:
Looting which money? Nigerian universities are greatly underfunded and its affecting them.

Have You Ever Participated In Any NUC Accreditation Before.?
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Nobody: 5:18pm On Dec 11, 2018
Warship:

Have You Ever Participated In Any NUC Accreditation Before.?
When I was in school, I participated in one, I was one of the students selected in my department.
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Warship: 5:20pm On Dec 11, 2018
Colourich:
When I was in school, I participated in one, I was one of the students selected in my department.

If You Can't Answer This Question Below, It Means You Never Knew What Was Happening Then.

How Much Was Given To Your Department For The Accreditation.?
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 11, 2018
Warship:

If You Can't Answer This Question Below, It Means You Never Knew What Was Happening Then.

How Much Was Given To Your Department For The Accreditation.?
How am I supposed to know how much they were given? as per HOD or Dean of student affairs? we the selected ones were given a book which has a list of courses we are supposed to do within the four years of our program, it also contain all the courses for other departments in my faculty and we were told to come to school that day, dressed properly well, answer questions and act all nice and cool.
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Warship: 5:30pm On Dec 11, 2018
Colourich:
How am I supposed to know how much they were given? as per HOD or Dean of student affairs? we the selected ones were given a book which has a list of courses we are supposed to do within the four years of our program, it also contain all the courses for other departments in my faculty and we were told to come to school that day, dressed properly well, answer questions and act all nice and cool.

If you do not know how much was given to you department, then you never knew what happened.

Corruption Thrive In Secrecy
Re: Outcome Of Today's ASUU Meeting With FG by Nobody: 5:33pm On Dec 11, 2018
Warship:

If you do not know how much was given to you department, then you never knew what happened.

Corruption Thrive In Secrecy
What I know is that we passed the accreditation in my faculty and everybody was happy, though they didn't compensate us for coming to school when others were at home cheesy.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

The New OAU Students' Union Bus Bought At N3m. Hit or Miss? / Lecturer Fighting A Student Today In Oduduwa University Ife (o.u.i) / How Sylvester Oromoni Was Tortured Before He Died - Father (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.