Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,330 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:23 AM

Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees (21090 Views)

Why Senate Should Not Approve Military Action In Niger - Shehu Sani / Uche Ekwunife Supporters Group Protests Against Senator Umeh In Awka (Photos) / Onnoghen: Senate Should Suspend Buhari And Declare Saraki As Acting President (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by deantimes(m): 5:36pm On Dec 11, 2018
Victor Umeh, Senator representing Anambra Central at the Senate has given reasons why the red chamber should not confirm nominees of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Mr Umeh who gave the reasons at the floor of the upper legislative chamber on Tuesday said those nominated should not be confirmed because some geo-political zones in the country were not represented at the anti-graft commission.

Chukwuka Utazi, chairman of the senate committee on anti-corruption, had presented a report on the screening of the some EFCC nominees by his committee.

Ndasule Moses, Lawan Mamman, Galadanci Najib and Adeleke Rafiu were the nominees recommended for confirmation as members of the EFCC.

Soon after the presentation of the report, a rowdy session occurred at the chamber with mostly southern lawmakers protesting against the recommendation.

While making his contribution, Umeh said there was not for other zones to be represented at the EFCC since Ibrahim Magu, acting chairman of the commission; and Olanipkekun Olukoyede, secretary of the commission, are from the north-east and south-west respectively.

“The south-south and south-east are not accommodated in the commission. On the issue of the fight against corruption – it involves all parts of Nigeria,” Umeh said.

“If you look at the composition, Mr President some people will think that the fight against corruption is instituted against them. There is need to take people from other geo-political zones,” he said.

Also, Enyinnaya Abaribe, senator representing Abia south, said the consideration of the nominees should be stepped down until it is amended.

Responding, Utazi said a committee set up to look at the president’s alleged lopsided appointments had “gone underground and refused to present a report”.

Ali Ndume, senator representing Borno south, said Utazi should have drawn the attention of the senate leadership to the matter instead of bringing a report urging them to confirm the nominees.

At this point, both Utazi and Isah Misau, senator representing Bauchi central, interrupted Ndume.

“We must not divide Nigeria,” Misau said. While Utazi was heard saying: “I have the floor, go and sit down.”

“You have a rowdy floor,” another senator said.

The disorderliness went on for about 10 minutes before and this prompted the lawmakers to go into a closed-door session abruptly.

When they emerged from the closed-door session, Senate President Bukola Saraki announced that it had been agreed that the confirmation of the EFCC and Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) nominees should be suspended for further legislative input.

Source: https://politicstimesng.com/senator-umeh-why-senate-should-not-confirm-efcc-nominees/

6 Likes

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by vanbonattel: 5:37pm On Dec 11, 2018
All we are saying, no more zombeismgrin

54 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by vanbonattel: 5:38pm On Dec 11, 2018
Patiently waiting for anyone who will tell me to vote APC grin

100 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by seunlly(m): 7:53pm On Dec 11, 2018
cool

7 Likes

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by Bayajidda1: 7:54pm On Dec 11, 2018
grin
Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by Bayajidda1: 7:54pm On Dec 11, 2018
grin angry
grin angry grin
Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by lawnreigh(m): 7:55pm On Dec 11, 2018
Nigeria and politics of ethnicity, tribalism and religious sentiments is like 5 & 6. On this ground, they should allow all zones be represented in the said commissions

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by asobo: 7:55pm On Dec 11, 2018
Nigeria belongs to all of us @pmb and still yet some people still see reason to vote the bigot.
#No to nepotism
vote Atiku for a Nigeria of our dream

66 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by Racoon(m): 7:55pm On Dec 11, 2018
And the nepotism even continues till the twilight of the Buhari government.Nigerians let's say no to this shitcrap.

Four nominees presented for confirmation are: -1).Ndasule Moses,
-2).Lawan Mamman,
-3).Galadanci Imam Najib,

-4).And Adeleke Adebayo Rafiu.
They were nominated as members of the EFCC, and need to be confirmed by the National Assembly.

This makes a total of four people from the North, Umeh said; adding, The South-East and South-South are not accommodated in this Commission.

Responding, Utazi said a committee set up to look at the president’s alleged lopsided appointments had “gone underground and refused to present a report”.
https://2rlgti2/
Meanwhile
-1).The Commission’s Chief Security Officer, CSO, Nasir Abdullahi, DSP.... “Management and officers of the Commission(EFCC) who were on ground to concertedly subdue the fire were: the
-2).Supervisory Secretary, Mr. Chile Okoroma;
-3).Director, Finance and Accounts, Jubril Manigi;
-4).Zonal Head of Operation, Mohammed Rabo;
-5).DD(? Deputy Director) Admin, N.T Ibrahim;
-6).Head of Legal, Kabir Latona;
-7).Head of ICT, Isah J. Abdullahi among others,” the statement added.

https://dailynigerian.com/updated-efcc-office-on-fire-commissions-data-centre-worst-hit/

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by Ziggylady(f): 7:55pm On Dec 11, 2018
Nice one from the Senate.

22 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by dokyOloye: 7:56pm On Dec 11, 2018
Buhari the unrepentant bigot.
Tufia

42 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by maxiuc(m): 7:56pm On Dec 11, 2018
Nigeria is for All

3 Likes

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by naijareferee: 7:57pm On Dec 11, 2018
Abaribe my man... Your reelection is a no brainer..... Done deal... As for buhari and his band of vuvuzelas... Remember a tenure is a four years and you can only get a Max of two tenures... What you sow now... You must reap...

52 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by Skirmishes(m): 7:57pm On Dec 11, 2018
Buhari is a nepotic tribalist and an ethnic bigot. So south south and south East aren't part of Nigeria....

Why trying to divide the country? Among the EFCC top management composition including the nominees, 2 from NORTH east, 2 from south west, 1 from north central and 1 from north west.

This is Anti Nigeria.

36 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by manuelzz(m): 7:57pm On Dec 11, 2018
Buhari is the major problem of this country!

Eradicate Buhari and you have Eradicated 70% of the problems plaguing this country.

49 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by zubby4567(m): 7:57pm On Dec 11, 2018
No to loopsided appointments

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by kingzjay(m): 7:57pm On Dec 11, 2018
I wish we had 'Senators'!

He can't stand alone to oppose the lopsided appointments....

How did we get here, mbok?

11 Likes

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by berlusconib2: 7:58pm On Dec 11, 2018
APC think they own this county and everybody in it that they can do whatever they like. sad sad #Rubish!!! Atikulation...loading 2019

25 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by Herberthansome: 7:58pm On Dec 11, 2018
Noted
Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by Maxymilliano(m): 7:58pm On Dec 11, 2018
Lopsided appointments has become the hallmark of the current dispensation ...

19 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 11, 2018
Nepotism that's what this government stands for....smh

26 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by Nomesky: 8:00pm On Dec 11, 2018
Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by asobo: 8:01pm On Dec 11, 2018
naijareferee:
Abaribe my man... Your reelection is a no brainer..... Done deal... As for buhari and his band of vuvuzelas... Remember a tenure is a four years and you can only get a Max of two tenures... What you sow now... You must reap...
Bro if you are from Abia state, I am telling you I am proud of Senator Abaribe. If not for his kind, this senate wont stand Buhari and his like. I doff my hat for him. I am a northerner but mehn I respect the man

42 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by bajosky: 8:02pm On Dec 11, 2018
Buhari the lopsided APC dictator of 9ja

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by Nobody: 8:03pm On Dec 11, 2018
Good

Umeh representing.

6 Likes

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by naijareferee: 8:03pm On Dec 11, 2018
asobo:
Bro if your from Abia state, I am telling you I am proud of Senator Abaribe. I am a northerner but mehn I respect the man

Another man like him is umeh... Igbos are gradually getting it right with our politicians... It's politics of ideology not politics of buttlicking.

Just watch the next move based on advice from out brothers from southwest.
Buhari will appoint a south south man to divide the ranks of the better south senators.
The earlier the yorubas stop playing politics of anybody but Igbos, the better for Nigeria...

24 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by goaldynboy: 8:03pm On Dec 11, 2018
That's a cogent point!

The composition of EFCC looks like it was put together to persecute Southeast and Southsouth people!!

Furthermore, Buhari is indirectly telling us that he doesn't need Southeast and Southsouth votes in 2019! So nobody from that zone should make the mistake of voting Buhari!!

21 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Senator Umeh: Why Senate Should Not Confirm EFCC Nominees by festacman(m): 8:05pm On Dec 11, 2018
vanbonattel:
Patiently waiting for anyone who will tell me to vote APC grin
Vote APC.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buhari Could Not Achieve More Because Nigeria Does Not Have Money – BMO / We Will Drag Dino Melaye To Court Without Delay – Police / President Buhari Democracy Day Speech Is Full Of Lies - Reno Omokri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.