Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,273 members, 7,780,614 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 05:38 PM

'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide (42759 Views)

"Blood In The Ring" A Crime Thriller By John Mfon. / Don't! Look Closer- A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide / A Hunt - A Military Thriller by Abraham Adekunle (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by queenitee(f): 9:43pm On Dec 12, 2018
Awwww, my dear Jerry
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 1:13pm On Dec 13, 2018
queenitee:
Awwww, my dear Jerry
Indeed
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 1:13pm On Dec 13, 2018
LightQueen:
Thanks for the update

Bring it on dear, I dey your back grin
Good to know.. Went off the grid since.. Update's here.
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 1:14pm On Dec 13, 2018
Chapter 5

Chased by A Past

Jerry wondered, as he walked to school, if he wasn't supposed to ever love fair ladies because he couldn’t fathom the reason the two fair beautiful ladies left him. That day was the third day after he met the beautiful thief. Yet, he couldn’t keep his mind off her. Sometimes, when he mistaken other people for her.
He was an early riser and always made sure he got to the school first. In addition, luckily for him, his street wasn't far from his school- trekable. When he got to three streets from his, he wasn't surprised to see the beggar, seated already. This beggar was an old crippled woman.
However, he felt enormous pity for her whenever he saw her and for that he decided that he would always give her a big amount of money every day. Seeing that he had no family member to help him enjoy the money he was now getting, and everything he owned. He saw no harm in giving the poor woman some money, making her day, putting smile on her dry ragged lips.
‘Good morning’, he said as he brought out a note and gave it to her absent-mindedly.
‘Thank you my son, the sun of this earth shall not shine like your glory would’, she said with cracked voices, as she collected the money with delights in her eyes, her brown teeth matching the colour of her brown tattered wrapper.
Something fell from her hand as he turned. He turned to see what fell he couldn't see it clearly as she had hidden it in her cloth. Was that a gun? He wondered.
Well, he didn't see it clearly but he was sure it was a black object. She smiled deceptively at him. Whatever she was hiding in her cloth was her problem and not his. He kept walking and then paused when he realized he had just given the woman a thousand naira.
‘What is wrong with me?’ he whispered. His mind wandered off to the dry ground, which looked as if even if rain fell for thousands of years, it would never become muddy.
The rain, which everyone was expecting, had only sent storm and thunder to announce its impending visitation, and had been doing that for days without showing up.
After closing from school that day, he decided to hang around and walk home with the Agric and P.H.E teachers, with whom he discussed and enjoyed himself. He sighted the old woman again and his mind went to the black object.
‘Uncle, we’ve always being talking about our past, but I’ve never seen you say anything about yourself. Why?’ Said the Yoruba teacher, Miss Rita Jacobs. ‘one eats with a friend because of the pleasure of friendship not because one lacks’.
Miss Jacobs was a tawny lady; slim, tall, and would have been considered beautiful, if not that she wore long, faded skirts, big blouse and gowns, shoes that were always oversized. Her dressing had a way of confusing people on what category of people to classify her in- a member of deeper life or S.U? Her hair- rather, her wig- disfigured her face so much that one might be forced to imagine how ugly her children would be. However, she didn’t look like someone who cared about their crazy talks. Her ear and body were always devoid of jewelries.
Although she wasn’t married, she was looking older than most old women, making many men avoid her like plague. Even Jerry didn’t like her when he first met her, but hearing her speak: her seasoned opinion, her reliable advice, and her joy always enthralled him that he felt like listening to her always.
‘Enn…’ Jerry muttered and shrugged, ‘I have nothing interesting to say’.
As they got out of the staffroom and headed towards the gate.
‘Do you mean your childhood was that boring?’ Miss Jacobs said as she looked at him as if she was seeing a ghost for the first time in her life.
Jerry hissed and grinned.
‘That means you didn’t go out of your way to have fun with ladies, and you know what I mean…’ She made a face at him.
‘Ahhh!’ He belched in laughter, and bent forward, covering his mouth as his eyes roamed the street, 'Miss Jacobs, don’t let children hear you say that’.
‘What did she say? The line from which you are taking this thing is too serious. Almost all the men that I’ve ever come across, including me had done it before’, the P.H.E teacher added.
Jerry held onto his bag and stared into the space. He wished he could also tell them fascinating and exciting adventures but there was nothing he could do, nothing to say. Seeing that they would keep pestering him, he decided to fabricate his past a little. A little dot and brushing wouldn’t destroy anything.
‘Well…’ he said and saw their eyes brightened, ‘I didn’t do anything. You know I was a cool boy, little trouble, no girlfriend, few friends, and thing like that’.
He saw that the brightness in the P.H.E teacher eyes fade, replaced by an irritating look.
‘Are you kidding me?’ In this year?’
‘Actually…’ Jerry said, to give them something to hold, a reason good enough for them to stop talking about his past, 'I lived with reverend Fathers, Popes. You know how strict it would be there’.
‘That's a big lie… My friend, Paul, lived in a monastery also. If I tell you how many women he had taken to bed even before he escaped the prison of a place, you would not close your mouth'.
Jerry scratched his head as he became lost. The flow of thought had reduced drastically, and his thinking, shallow; ideas refused to form in his brain. They danced a little in his brain, but when he tried to form something out of them they showed themselves as useless and unfit for use.
Then, APC members campaigning got into the street. As it was usual in the month of October; they had introduced it to the month of November. Jerry looked up and saw, from the corner of his eyes with relief that the P.H.E teacher had open his mouth midway. He had been meaning to continue with the topic but the campaigners infuriated him.
‘What is wrong with these ones?’ the P.H.E teacher complained. He liked to complain about things: neighbors, the students, the management.
Jerry, still staring at the people, wasn’t looking at his front when his left leg hit a stone, making him moan.
‘When you use your left leg to hit a stone’, Miss Jacobs said, ‘that means there is danger looming somewhere’.
Miss Jacobs was from the western Nigeria and had value for the culture of her land unlike most Nigerians in Fortune City. Jerry immediately snapped his fingers across his head as if the looming danger was a dirt on his head and he was trying to dust it off.
‘That is a lie’, the P.H.E teacher said.
However, Jerry had a feeling Miss Jacobs was right because he couldn't shake off the fear of impending doom. He had plans to buy the film the beautiful night thief recommended. Therefore, after leaving the two teachers, he boarded a bike to a popular junction.
It him a while to get but when he eventually did, he was so excited that he didn't know see someone approaching. The guy was a sturdy short on.
‘Hey... Guy, 're you blind? Am I too short?’ The person asked irksomely with a voice that sounded like a broken record.
‘I’m sorry… sorry’.
Jasper, a dreaded sharp shooter among all the criminals of Fortune City, stood transfixed as he saw who it was that had just run into him. He almost screamed and ran for his life.
‘Sorry for yourself’, he shouted as he pushed past him. At that instance, he hated his voice. Leech wasn’t dead. Leech was still alive. He shook his head as he watched Leech leave. He frowned as Leech left. Leech would never forget a face, never. He remembered faces and names more than anyone Jasper had ever met, and Leech, not recognizing him surprised Jasper.
‘Wow…’ Jasper mouthed, and wrinkled his nose as he wondered if that was indeed Leech because Once, a top Fortune City assassin, had killed Leech and their doctor confirmed the death.
Once was his senior in the job of assassination, who was called Once because he killed once and for all and had been getting jobs a lot from chief.
Peradventure one discovered that another assassin didn’t kill a person he was supposed to kill. And, one got the opportunity to kill this 'dead' person, one would get the opportunity to kill that other assassin with dignity because one of the code of conducts of Fortune City association of Life Taker (F.A.L.T) restricted assassins from killing one another without an authorization from top men like chief.
Jasper had been looking for opportunity to kill Once ever since the day he killed since the day he killed someone close to him. Seeing an opportunity like this again, and finding diamond on the street of Fortune City. Both were impossible.
Jasper changed his mind about going to survey the house of the new person he was to kill. He would do that later. He followed Leech and saw him clutching a book, and a film, very typical of him. Leech boarded a bike, which drove off immediately.
With his weapons bag dangling from his shoulder, Jasper climbed a bike.
‘Follow that guy’, Jasper ordered as he pointed at Leech,’ follow him gently’.
The bike zoomed off. He was happy that he was holding his weapons bag since most of the things he needed to kill Leech were there. Now, he would definitely kill him sweet and clean as he did all his job unlike that foolish Once. With the thought of that, he smiled and licked his lips. He tasted imaginary blood. The bike zoomed into a street and stopped.
‘Stop’, he hissed at his own bike driver and dropped, ‘how much?’
‘70 naira’.
Jasper brought out five hundred naira note from his pocket and gave it to the bike man, his eyes glued on Leech’s back as Leech moved towards a house.
‘Keep the change’.
‘Boss, thank you’.
Jasper felt like calling Chief Suberu that he saw Leech, but he didn’t want to bring the news of Leech being alive. He didn’t want to spoil the suspense; instead, he would do as Chief had always wanted. He would kill Leech.
Even if this person wasn’t Leech, he would still kill him and falsify the evidence just to get to Once. There was a need to kill Once once and for all.
Jerry glanced at the side as he dropped from the bike, and saw the guy he ran into at the bus stop getting off a bike. He smiled as he strolled to his room.
‘Human. Water’, he muttered.
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 13, 2018
Thanks for the wonderful update

1 Like

Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Eberechi24(f): 1:43pm On Dec 13, 2018
izaray something is cooking over here
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by izaray(f): 2:02pm On Dec 13, 2018
Eberechi24:
Thanks for the invite sis.
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 2:35pm On Dec 13, 2018
LightQueen:
Thanks for the wonderful update
You're welcome. More coming soon.
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 2:35pm On Dec 13, 2018
Eberechi24:
You're so awesome.. Thanks for invite...
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 2:36pm On Dec 13, 2018
izaray:
Thanks for the invite sis.
Welcome. How do you love to be served?
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 7:49pm On Dec 13, 2018
Chapter 6
Loosed Ends

Jasper watched Leech enter his house and hid near the house. The street was free of witnesses and that was golden. All he needed there was to pick the right time to kill him because everything good was playing into his hands.
As he sat in front of his laptop to watch the movie, an unknown number called his phone.
‘Hello’, he said cautiously, hoping that it wouldn’t be Shade.
‘Hello, Mr. Olusola’, Miss Jacobs voice said, ‘It’s me … Rita’.
‘Ah! Miss Jacobs’, he said with relief.
‘I don’t know. Did you by chance see my lesson note?’
‘No’, he replied but caught himself in the midsentence because the book he had been holding was hers. ‘Wait… It’s with me’.
‘Oh! Great. Let's meet at Rivers street’.
Jerry slouched in frustration as he rose from the bed, locked the door, and had to stop himself from running. Was it not a movie? He could see it any time. He remembered he didn't plug the laptop to electricity.
Jasper backed away immediately Leech came out. Leech almost saw him and that shouldn't happen. Jasper hid behind the walls and took pictures of Leech to make the others see the time before he killed him. Immediately he was done with the job, he would take the other picture as a proof.
Jasper braced himself the moment Leech came out the second time, getting ready to follow him, to kill him; in fact, he had an idea. He smiled and smiled again.
Jasper looked about, and saw that no one was there except an old haggard beggar that laid at the end of the street and was asleep. He brought out his pistol, placed a silencer into it, and steadied himself.
Leech rushed past without noticing anyone around. Jasper followed him and knew it might take the whole year if he kept following without doing anything. He needed to up his game. So, he went near Leech, near enough for him to stick his gun to his back. Jasper looked to the left and the right and saw no one. The street was empty for reason he couldn’t place his hands on. But he loved it. He loved it like that.
‘Don’t panic. It is your death at hand’, Jasper announced, ‘I have a loaded revolver pointed at your spinal cord, arched enough to hit your heart. So, cooperate’.
Leech froze but Jasper nudged him. ‘Keep moving, Leech’.
‘Leech?’
‘Take us to a secluded place’
‘I did not get that’.
‘I said take us to a secluded place’.
‘A secluded place?’
‘Yes… for introduction, you can call me Sheila, I like long walks and fresh flowers. Since fresh flowers can easily be found by rivers, I don’t mind you taking us to the river around this area, where I can see and enjoy my fresh, lively flowers’.
‘No… I mean I don’t know any river here’.
‘What? You are lying to me. Is this not Agric Area?’
‘I don’t know any river’, Leech said. Jasper stopped him and faced him. Now, there was nobody in the street that could testify against the death of Leech but he didn’t want to play to chance. If anybody saw him after he killed Leech, the information might be used against him later. Jasper wasn't ready to start cleaning messes and evidences. No one catches an assassin and he didn’t want to be the assassin to be caught in 20years.
‘I hope your neurons are working well. I hope you can feel the gun I’m sticking to your back?’
‘Who are you?’ Leech said with a quivering voice and that made Jasper’s voice warmer and deeper. He loved when people begged for their life. The taste of killing such people was always sweet. Their plea always gave him the desire to deepen his voice because it gave him power and made others believe he had the power.
Yet, he must agree with them. After all, he had the power to either give them life or take it away from them, like God, like a god.
‘Okay, buckle up. Can’t you think of any at all? I’ve got all day’.
‘I don’t know any…’
‘Then, I will have to kill you here. Surely’, Jasper hissed like a wounded snake as his eyes darted from one corner of the deserted street to the other. He placed the gun on Jasper’s head
‘Wait…Wait…’ Leech cried, ‘I know a pond’.
‘Goodly…Take us there, and smile. I hate people who frown’.
Jasper let down his guard a little and Leech seized the opportunity. He turned sharply and kicked Jasper in his groin. Jasper moaned. Leech gave him another punch on the nose. Jasper bent forward as pain surged through his body, making him clasp his teeth.
Jasper was angry. He shot the floor around Leech, who was bracing himself to hit him again. Leech jumped repeatedly in fear that he had been shot.
‘If you move, I will shoot’, he said with a suppressed anger as he wheezed like a monster, ‘now, your hands up’.
He felt like shooting the sky, like shooting God for giving him such a voice that doesn’t send fear into people. Leech raised his hands.
‘Leech, you are a bastard and I will show you what we do to bastards’, Jasper groaned, baring his teeth. He slapped Leech. ‘Take me to the pond quickly’.
They moved from the street to the pond. Although they passed many people, nobody noticed anything awkward about the way he was holding Leech. Even if they knew, they dared not talk.
The road that led to the pond was like one coming down a mountaintop to an area. The whole road was rough. Trees of different forms shook briefly. Most of their leaves were dry and were lying on the floor. Birds rested on the branches of these trees, chirping and humming with so much glee that one would wonder if they didn’t know about the dry season or that they could see the rain coming.
When they got to the pond, they had to go deeper as if they were entering another hole. The sky was unusually white and devoid of any cloud. Even the few that tried to show themselves dissolved immediately as if abhorred the evil Jasper would carry out. Thinking of that alone made him beam.
Flowers from different parts of the place gladdened his heart.
‘You were trying to hit me the other time. What are you? A kind of superman or something? I have dealt with people of greater caliber and greater power than yours and I had vanquished, grinded and dissolved them off the earth. Therefore, you won’t be an exception. In fact, your case is pro bono’, Jasper announced spreading his hands. ‘I’ll kill you happily’.
The body of water kept stirring slowly. Dirt and leaves floated gently on it. He smiled as he sighted lilies dancing on the water. His heart warmed. That was a good sign.
‘Face the river’.
He gagged Leech to reduce the noise he would make. Leech moaned something.
‘Oh! I’m sorry…What? I can’t hear you clearly’, Jasper mocked with a face smeared with a wicked happiness, 'with the… you’ve got something across your mouth and I can’t hear you’.
‘Okay… Okay. I don’t do this always. This opportunity comes once in every twenty kill and you are the one getting the seventh opportunity. Say your last prayer sharperly’.
Leech brought his hands together and prayed inaudibly.
‘Alright. It’s party time’, Jasper said as he pointed the gun to Leech’s head. He suddenly had a feeling someone was watching him, that someone’s eyes were creeping slowly on his back. He looked back but saw no one. Yet, he knew that even if someone wasn't there, someone was coming to that place very soon and he didn’t want anyone to know he was there.
Jasper inhaled a deep breath of relief, fulfilment, and happiness as he exerted force on the trigger of the gun.
Suddenly, something like an insect hit him at the back of the head. He touched the back of his head.
Jerry himself didn’t know he could cry but tears poured down his eyes as he felt the coldness of the gun on the back of his head. His whole body vibrated. To worsen the situation, hot liquid ran between his legs. Was that how he would die?
He swallowed hard when the guy said the prayer time was over. He should have been careful when he saw the guy in their area that afternoon. But he couldn’t suspect everyone he met on the street.
He held his breathe, expecting the pain to surge through his head to his body and him drifting off into the abyss.
Instead of the bullet, he felt a body crashing into him from behind. He opened his eyes that he didn’t know he had closed. The guy’s body was now resting on him lifelessly. He moaned fearfully as he pushed the dead body to a side.
Jumping from his kneeling position, his eyes darted from one corner of the area to the other but he didn’t see anyone. Vibrating like a wet leaf, he raised his hands. A bullet had drilled a hole into the back of his assailant’s head and opened a way for blood to ooze out. The guy’s eyes were blank as if he was a statute and his hand was now loosely holding the gun. Everywhere was silent.
Jerry looked around desperately as he expected either a gunshot or someone to come out to confront him. But, after waiting for some seconds, he ran out of the riverside and out of the place. Nothing happened to him.
Then, he stopped and looked around to be sure no one saw him there. Happy that he was safe, he walked on briskly to his house, jogging whenever he got to a secluded area. His heart was beating fast and he couldn’t help gasping.
Someone had tried to kill him. He saw a dead person. Someone killed his assailant. Someone committed a cold-blooded murder and had left him alone to deal with the problem of the body. Who was Leech?
Jerry locked the door and crammed himself to a corner of the room, staring out of focus into the space.
Though the person saved his life, he felt the person needed to show him his face, to allow him thank him. But there was none to thank and that scared him because he didn't know who the killer was following- him or his assailant.
Then his phone rang, Miss Jacobs.
‘Oh! Miss Jacobs, I’m sorry, I’m on my way’.
He risked going out again, this time looking back from time to time.
*** Officer Yemi James looked at his phone again and wondered why he had to be the one that his boss sent to the crime scene. There were many people, who were his junior in the work of investigating. They should receive more training as this case would be a minor case. As he got there, he met some policemen trying to make sense out of the unexplainable situation. They kept warding people away from the area around the pond.
‘Make a hole’, Yemi shouted as he passed through them.
‘Hey, move back, are you insane?’ A lanky police shouted. He was reeking of alcohol. Yemi held his breathe when he got near the policeman.
‘What do you have on him?’ He asked another policeman, who was checking the corpse.
They showed him the gun, the dead man's phone, and all his weapons.
‘No identity?’
‘None’.
Yemi became interested in the phone. He surfed through it but found nothing of interest, and was about to pass it to another policeman, when he saw something that interested him. A picture taken some moments before the time of his death. He stared blankly at the body of river because he knew the person in the picture.

1 Like

Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by izaray(f): 10:53am On Dec 14, 2018
Hope those pictures won't put Jerry into another wahala

Thanks for the update Op
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Odoogu(m): 11:40am On Dec 14, 2018
Thanks for the update.. Still following.✌✌
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Fazemood(m): 11:50am On Dec 14, 2018
My apology for reporting to duty late, I hope I get pardoned.
Oga Divepen1 it is a nice story you've got here for us.
Was Jerry really an assassin name Leech before he woke up with a blank memory?
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 12:01pm On Dec 14, 2018
izaray:
Hope those pictures won't put Jerry into another wahala

Thanks for the update Op
One hopes. You're welcome. And thanks for the comments..

Working on the other parts.
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 12:04pm On Dec 14, 2018
Odoogu:
Thanks for the update.. Still following.✌✌
You're welcome. Good to know you're still following.
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 12:04pm On Dec 14, 2018
Fazemood:
My apology for reporting to duty late, I hope I get pardoned.

Oga Divepen1 it is a nice story you've got here for us.

Was Jerry really an assassin name Leech before he woke up with a blank memory?
Better late than never.
Further info will tell...
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by samwobi(m): 2:16pm On Dec 14, 2018
Wonderful Story. I'm Amazed
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 3:24pm On Dec 14, 2018
samwobi:
Wonderful Story. I'm Amazed
Thanks..
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 3:41pm On Dec 14, 2018
Chapter 7
The Titans Are Rising

'I'm still alive', Jerry kept repeating as he glanced over his shoulders for the umpteenth time that day, scanning the environment for any sign of anyone following him as he returned home from church. But all he could see was the old haggard woman crunched at a corner of the street. It was two days to Christmas and many days from the day he escaped; yet, the fear of the event still held him bound.
Thunder rumbled in distance. Despite being the 8th week after his near-death experience, he couldn't shake off the fear that something big was coming for him. And he relayed these fears to Pastor Matthew, who kept supporting him morally.
'This sweet strawberry', he muttered as he inhaled mixed fragrance of harmattan and the air freshener in his room, which Rita had placed there two days ago when she came to visit him.
He and Rita had become an item and her dressing style was going through its pruning sessions. Just when he thought he was hidden in the safety of his room, someone knocked the door, jolting Jerry out of his thought about the horrible harmattan. Jerry opened his mouth, held his breathe, and closed it again. The knock came again.
Jerry quickly scanned the room and allowed his eyes to ransack it as he sought for a good, strong, long, harmful object. He rushed to the stick he had started keeping in his room since his encounter with his dead assailant.
‘Yes?’ He said with a voice that would have made any chicken-hearted fellow cow away from his door.
‘Good afternoon’, a cool throaty reply came from outside the room, as if the owner was used to such threat.
Jerry looked through a hole to be prepared for any eventualities. The face was unfavorably unfamiliar and that gave him a better reason to tighten his grip on the stick. His breathe steadied to prevent him from overacting as he poised himself for retaliation in case there was a need for it.
Jerry opened the door and quickly surveyed the man before him. The man was short, fair, and slim, and had shrewd eyes. his nose pointed forward as if it could even smell the thought of men’s heart.
He looked up and smiled warily, giving Jerry an opportunity to calculate where he would hit the man if he tried anything foolish, or if he made any unwanted move.
‘Yes?’ Jerry said, scowling at the man, squinting his face as the cold white breeze of harmattan rushed to his eyes and nose.
‘Good afternoon sir…’, the policeman said and stared at him, opened his mouth, and changed what he wanted to say, swallowed hard, squinted his eyes, widened his long nose, cocked his head to a side as if he was searching for something from Jerry’s eyes. Then, he straightened when he seemed not to find what he was looking for in Jerry, ’we saw this phone on a dead man and would like to …’
‘Who are you? Who is the ‘we’ ‘, Jerry cut-in, and his beat increasing as he prepared himself for anything. Can it be that his life was more complicated than he thought? Should he worry about his past? He opened his mouth halfway in expectation of a bad news.
‘Oh! I’m sorry’, the short man said as he brought out a neat ID card out of his front pocket and pointed it at Jerry, who drew nearer to be sure he was seeing right,’ I’m Inspector Yemi…’
‘Good…’ He said as he gently released the stick he was holding on the wall, making sure that it didn’t fall so that the policeman wouldn’t think otherwise. Then, it occurred to him that the police would be investigating the death of his assailant.
‘As I was saying the other time, we saw this phone on a dead man, and we were surprised to see your picture in it’.
‘My picture?’ Jerry said as he edged forward to see the picture, which the policeman pointed at him. It was the picture of the cloth he was putting on the day of the death of his assailant. The picture was taken when Jerry was coming out of the room. He had to ward off this police. He quickly changed his look of fear to a quizzical look.
‘That’s me of course’, he proclaimed.
‘We know… Have you ever seen this man?’ The police said, raising his own phone to show Jerry the picture of the dead man.
When Jerry saw the picture of the dead man, he almost shouted that that was the man, who wanted to kill him some days before, whom death saved Jerry from.
‘No. I’ve never seen him…But what was he doing with my picture? That was me last month, on my way to meet one of the teachers of the school I work in’.
‘Does this teacher live around here? Can I talk to her?’
‘Yes… Yes…’ Jerry said, happy to have an alibi who would readily, happily and surely vindicate him, making sure that she didn’t say anything that would spoil what he said before, ‘excuse me, let me get my phone’.
Jerry rushed to the room to pick his phone and called Rita in the presence of the police, and she came to testify that she saw him, even when the police asked her if she could remember the time he got to her, she told him he got to her around 5.00pm, which would have been true because the picture was taken 4.51pm of that same day.
When the police left, Jerry smiled with relief and longed to hug Rita, to kiss her for saving him, but he restrained himself with the hope he would get his opportunity soon. He turned to face her, only to see her eyes running on him intently. Her expression poised.
‘Where were you from 4:51- 5:50?’
Unluckily for him, Rita was a time-freak, who believed humans couldn't tie the day down with a rope. She kept track of every of her movement, and kept track time of all the things she did. Therefore, when she said it’s 5.50pm, it was truly 5.50pm.
Officer Yemi was surprised at what he saw. He still couldn’t believe his eyes. The young man he saw was Bidemi Bennett Adeoti and he was supposed to know him. In fact, he knew him very well. Their path had crossed many times especially on the occasion of people's death. And unfortunately this time, on the occasion of another person’s death.
Though he knew that Bidemi wasn't a member of any bad group or cult because he had followed him when they were in the University, Yemi did know that evil occurrences lurked around Bidemi, and that people liked to pass blame on Bidemi, making the world believe he did what he didn’t do.
Yemi knew and have heard enough about Bidemi to know that ladies talked about him when he was in the University as if he was their god. Their eyes sparkled whenever they saw him. They giggled behind him, always avoiding his eyes whenever he mistakenly felt their eyes on himself. They scribbled his name whenever they were daydreaming. All of these to Yemi’s chagrin because all his life he had wanted such attention but had gotten them from only his wife, a very beautiful lady, Rose, whose only problem was jealousy.
Bidemi acted as if he didn’t know him; in fact, as if their path had never crossed. Maybe he was indeed a look-alike. Whatever the case was, Yemi needed to find out from someone, who would know every bit of information about Bidemi. The strong feeling in his guts was never wrong. Not for once.
Once had expected Jasper back for days now. Even though he knew Jasper was always rude to him and disliked some of his actions, he saw Jasper as his protégé and valued him like a little brother. He hadn’t seen him for some days, which was unlike Jasper, who liked being around, letting everyone know he was around, hale, hearty, and ready for any job.
Once called his phone number, it wasn't ringing- switched off, which wasn't a good sign. Once rolled the stick of sweet in his mouth and knew what must be done. He needed to find Jasper immediately.
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 3:45pm On Dec 14, 2018
Chapter 8
Visitors

A good night rest and a sound spirit are the only things needed to make a man whole after a long day of trouble and unexpected event. Jerry woke into the darkness at 11.30pm after sleeping off in the evening, after the great ordeal between Rita and him.
The whole concept of loneliness was so sweet and very good to Jerry. He spent most of his free time surfing the net, reading every news he could lay his hand on with curiosity, and great concentration as if they were his problem. He read about climatic changes, Travels, criminal cases, death, and it was in this wake he delved into the searching for past news; they entertained a man, whose brain has been wiped off, who knows, he might find things about himself.
That night, again like the week the beautiful thief came to his house, there had been another accident, and their power had been disconnected. Due to the harmattan, everywhere was cold and not as hot as that day but he wished the juicy part of that day would repeat itself.
She wouldn’t come, he assured himself. Sleep refused to come and there was no power on his laptop. He had used the little power on it to finish the film the beautiful thief asked him to watch, and he enjoyed the film a lot. But he didn’t see anything extraordinary in the film. Maybe, the message was that he should be careful.
Rita wasn’t bent on knowing anything about his past. All she told him was that she wanted to know him in the present, and, if possible, she wanted to know him more in the future but none of his past. And with that he himself didn’t see reasons to delve more into asking about her past; yet, their conversation went smoothly.
After waiting for the sleep, which wasn't forthcoming, Jerry rose from the bed, picked his plastic chair from a corner, and went outside. The day had had enough event, and he was sure it was safe again to sit outside his room without fear of anything.
The most interesting event of the day was when Rita accused him. At that time, he wished she wasn't good with time, that she was sloppy with things like that. The look on her face proved she was right and that she needed an answer immediately. No excuses were allowed. No lie was wanted.
Jerry dragged her into his room, explained everything, expecting her to either shout or make a fuss about it, but she surprised him.
‘That’s good, but tell me: do you have such a scary past that an unknown guy would call you Leech and even plan to kill you?’ She said, her hand fiddling with his bedsheet. Her shrill voice heightened his breathe.
‘I don’t know… I do not know, maybe I’m a look-alike… Maybe, he is a Psycho or, who knows, one of those people who are bent on making it in life that they can use anything, maybe,’ he shrugged, hoping she would understand him.
’ Maybe…’, he said stuttering.
‘Shhh…’ she said, putting her right index finger on his lips. What did they say about index finger? When you place a ring on it, it shows you are searching for a partner, someone to love.
‘I trust you with all my life that you didn’t kill that man, or whoever they accused you of killing’, Rita said, moved nearer to him, still staring at him.
Their eyes spoke wonders, hungers and desires. She kissed his lips briefly and that little action escalated into something else, something they never expected. The end of it met them on the bed, panting heavily as they communicated only through the smiles of their mouth and the brightness of their eyes. Without reaching a consensus on whether they should go on another round, they went for another round.
Around 11:55pm, Jerry left for his room because the youths of the street had made a proclamation that nobody must be seen outside after 12 in the midnight. So, he closed the door and jumped into his bed.
‘Arg....’ he and someone shouted at the same time. Jerry flew off his bed, and ran for the door. There was no light to fight whoever it was. The person had gotten to his room before him, leaving him unprepared. No matter how fast the person was, he should be faster than the person at getting to the door.
'Stop, my friend', a silky voice said. The light was restored.
Once used to be a normal guy that one would pass on the street and would wish to beat up. His melancholic demeanor always made people dot on him. Moreover, he was lanky.
When he noticed this trouble of having a melancholic look, he decided to change his look, and the first thing he did was to start have love for some things that would change his look. He liked cutting his hair to skin, wearing big chains, leaving his beard and moustache, putting on body-hugging clothes to please himself that he was building muscles, and that he was to be feared.
He drummed his fingers on his laps, folded and unfolded them as he waited for Jasper’s girlfriend to give him a positive reply.
‘Hello’, he said hurriedly the moment her, and cautioned himself from letting this lady know that he loved Jasper, ‘What did you F.F.M?’
‘What?’
‘Find for me?’
‘I’ve not been able to reach him’, she said with fear reflecting in her voice.
‘Hey…Take a chill pill, babe. Is it not that foolish boy? He must be doing business somewhere’, he said, with a voice that didn’t reassure him himself. His stick of sweet dangled from his mouth. ‘He would call you, if I get him… Erm… Where was his LKL?’
‘Lk what?’
‘Last known Location’.
‘Agric area’, she said, ‘he told me he was going there. Tell him to call me’.
‘Alright, enjoy yourself. TTYL’.
Agric area, next stop.
‘Let’s go get wicked’, he mumbled.
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Ann2012(f): 5:35pm On Dec 14, 2018
Eberechi24:
Am really worried about Jerry, what could be the source of his loss of memory?
Ann2012,
Tony124,
Mavikolo2020
Adesina

Thanks Sweetie kiss

Seat claimed, keep the updates coming OP
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 14, 2018
Well done Divepen1
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 7:23pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ann2012:

Thanks Sweetie kiss
Seat claimed, keep the updates coming OP
Welcome on board..

1 Like

Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 7:23pm On Dec 14, 2018
LightQueen:
Well done Divepen1
Thanks Queen..
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by nastynic(m): 8:13pm On Dec 14, 2018
Lovely Update Bruh, More Grace
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 8:26pm On Dec 14, 2018
nastynic:
Lovely Update Bruh, More Grace
Thanks boss.. Amemmmm

1 Like

Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 11:15pm On Dec 14, 2018
Chapter 9
Meeting The Great Schemer

The light went off again, without giving Jerry the opportunity to see who it was.
Jerry held his breathe, wishing the person was the beautiful thief, hoping she had come to give him a chance to love her forever.
‘Shhh’, the voice said near him.
He jumped. That was her voice- silky, hair-raising, and tinkling- filtering through his ear. And then, electricity was restored, the old fan reporting to duty as it squeaked continuously.
‘Whoa...You scared me.', he said as he turned to see her frame. Indeed, it was his beautiful night thief. His heart skipped a beat as he saw her. The last time he saw, she was desperate to escape her attackers but today she was not desperate to escape any attacker. Instead, she was at home and that gave her a queenly look. Olivia's beauty be damned. This was pure beauty. The beautiful night thief was wearing a black top and black jean trousers and her hair was packed, giving her a sultry look. ‘Hello, Jerry'.
‘Hello, my night visitor', he said as he stretched his hand to take her handshake.
She giggled when she saw the way he responded to her touch, he himself didn’t know what happened but he felt his body vibrating when she touched him as if her touch was electrifying.
‘Night visitor!’ She said amusingly as she went across the room to the seat he brought back inside the room and sat on it.
Jerry also sat, looking at her intently as he tried to fathom why his body vibrated when their hands met the other time. He imagined how it would be to feel her touch again, to feel her hands on his body, to hear her raspy voice talk to him one more time. His heart warmed at the thought of that.
‘You know you should consider moving to a bigger place, where you can have chairs and the rest', she said as she played with her hair and kept staring at him.
‘So how has it been with you?’ He asked, with the hope of striking a good conversation between them.
She smiled, loosened her hair, and shook her head gently as her hair graciously rested on her shoulders.
‘How has it been? Well, it had been as usual. Living as a fugitive, running from here to there, not being able to stay in one place like Satan. It's hard. Especially these days that people now wonder if the thief they have been chasing was actually a thin boy or a woman. But, I don’t allow the thought of being caught hit my little beating heart. So, I have been here and there and as usual I mistakenly…'She smiled broadly when she said this,' yes... mistakenly stole this phone'. She brought out a phone.
The phone! Jerry's was stunned by the sight of the only phone that connected him to the dead man.
‘Ah...How...How did you get that?' Jerry said, batting his eyes, as he rose from his bed to meet her.
He dragged it out of her hand as she pointed it at him. Quickly, he scrolled to the gallery and saw his picture as he moved backward.
‘Your picture made me save the phone from the eyes of the man that was staring at it', the night visitor continued.’ He kept staring at it like you stared at me that night’.
Jerry mouthed a word and allowed it die.
'Since, the picture was yours, I figured the phone might be yours too, so I stole it, but after I stole it, I discovered that the phone was not yours neither was it the man's, but I felt you need to know about the man that was staring at your picture'.
She brought out another android phone and showed him the picture: a picture of the policeman that came to his place in the afternoon.
‘So, what up between the two of you?’
‘Nothing much’, he said, scowling as he deleted his picture from the phone and sat on the bed, happy with himself, happy that he was free from whatever allegation they might want to hold against him. All he needed to do was to go through the phone for any information that might help him.
‘Or are you people gay?’
‘What?’ Jerry shouted, his voice resounding in the dark cold night. ‘Me… Gay? God forbid…’ He said, shaking his head vigorously. There was nothing worth chasing on the guy's phone.
‘Good’.
Her expertise as a thief had saved him from further investigation of the police. He decided to tell her part of the truth.
‘Someone took my picture and was later found dead. So, they thought I might be involved. Now that you have freed me. How I can repay you?’ Jerry said coming to the edge of the bed.
‘Can’t you keep on living with me? Do you have to continue being a fugitive? I live here alone, no friend or…’ He stopped himself from talking. She shouldn’t be aware of all this information until they have had a good relationship. People play others when they have such information. He didn’t want to be a victim of such.
She laughed heartily, her voice mixing with the swirling, the squeaking and the ‘whee’ sound of the fan.
‘Keep living with you? There is always a new thing in every new place; more so, I will stop moving all about when I’m sure the wind of life will truly come as a breeze and not a storm. I guess we are at par. I've repaid you for the last time. I can’t live with you for many reasons... Now,’ she said as she moved to the door like a model.
Jerry wondered what she was up to as she locked it. She turned to him graciously, removed her t-shirt, took her hand to the zip of her trouser, let it slip off her body gently, switched off the light, and before Jerry could see clearly, she planted a kiss on his lips.
When Jerry woke up the next morning, she was gone.
‘Again’, he muttered as he used his head to hit the bed in despair, angry that he had allowed sleep to overcome him again. She must be so good at entering and breaking because of the way she moved. He rolled off the bed the moment he saw a letter on the bed. Like the other day, she had replaced herself with a letter.

'Jerry,
Sweet. God, you are good. I hope we have the chance to meet again. Did you watch the film I asked you to watch? No. If Yes, I’m not sure you have seen what I wanted you see. The questions you should ask yourself: What is the most essential thing after air, water, and food? What is the word which when the first and the last letter is remove means unity? Someday, this hide and seek period will be gone- Night Visitor.
The last sentence baffled Jerry. He sat up. What is unity?
Accord…Harmony…Consensus…One. One?
What is the essential thing of life except those things she listed below? Jerry shook his head when the thought of shelter crept into his mind, and used his hand to ward off an imaginary object registered in his mind. The light was still on. So, he scrambled out of the bed to plug his laptop and all other gadgets. He decided that he would watch the film, Jack Ryan, again. Then, he settled down to be sure he wasn't missing anything. As he was watching the movie, he got it. He got it. He threw his fists into the air and tumbled on the bed. He got it.
‘Whoa! Oh! My God!’
Quickly, as if he was on fire, Jerry rushed out of the bed and got dressed. Then, he rushed to the landlord’s apartment. The thin man came out after he relayed a message to the landlord’s wife that he wanted to see the landlord.
‘Good morning, Mr. Jerry’, the landlord said with a strong Yoruba accent, extending his hand for a shake.
‘Good morning sir’, Jerry said, taking the landlord’s handshake half-heartedly.
‘I hope all is well?’
‘Yes sir. Please, I want to ask…’ Jerry said, wondering how he would post this question at the landlord. ‘Please sir, I can’t remember, but I’m not sure you have given me any receipt since I got here because I can’t find any in my room’.
‘Oh! I’m sorry, I should have sent Bimpe, that my short beautiful daughter, to you, but I always forget’, the landlord said. 'But, Mr. Jerry, don’t worry I will send someone to you’.
‘Okay sir’, Jerry said as he left for his room, wondering how this was connected to what he watched in the movie. Then, he wondered why he didn’t tell the landlord to give him there, that he wasn't busy, that he could wait for him to write and sign the receipt. So, he turned back and returned to the landlord’s room and as he was about to knock, he heard,
‘Hello! The boy is already asking questions’.
His night thief was right: follow the money and the money will guide your path. Now, he seemed to have a better thing to do than listen to Pastor Matthew's ramble about a coming doom and building an underground road.

Yemi James was prepared to meet her, he was already up, but Grace Adeoti asked him to come around 9 0’clock that morning. He searched his pocket for the phone, but he didn’t find it.
‘What?’ He mouthed. Then, he remembered the beautiful lady that was sitting beside him, she nearly fell on him as she was about to get out of the bus.
‘Foolish thieves’, he muttered as soon as the clock struck 8:30, he stood and left for Grace’s place, happy that she trusted him with her life. They were almost family because their lives were almost intertwined. Every year, something brought them together almost.
Her home was at Damola estate, which was a stone throw from the hotel he settled in. When he got there, she entertained him with gladness. He wondered how she still kept her beauty in check; her trimmed curvy beautiful body still in shape; her fair skin still shining; her hair still long; and her face that looked like Angelina Jolie’s still well structured.
‘Thank you. I’m sorry I came to disturb you’.
‘Officer Yemi, disturb me?’ She said with a bright smile as if that was a permanent feature of her face.
‘Thank you’, he said he sipped the drink before him, ‘please, when last did you hear from Bidemi… You know the Bidemi I’m talking about right’.
Grace nodded, her bright smile still lingering on her lips as she looked at him.
‘It’s almost seven months now’.
‘Oh!’ Yemi gasped, and sighed heavily, 'I thought you would help me get in touch with him, because I need to get some information from him. So what happened? Did you people not end up…? You know… Married?’
‘Yes. Yes. We married’, she said, ‘and the foolish boy decided to leave me’.
‘Oh! You divorced?’
‘No. He ran away from home, as if he was trying to divert the attention of something bad. He left me and the next day, his body… No… His headless body was found… Dead, stone cold dead’.

Rachael, the beautiful thief, was happy with herself, with her achievement. Although she knew the implication, she loved it. How would it be that the guy she had spent most of her life crushing upon would die without sleeping with her?
She had planned it well and fate helped her. Her plan was simple: she waited for that period when it was most unsafe to have any sexual intercourse with any man and slept with Leech, now known as Jerry. Jasper was the fate that played into the scene. She would have dumped his body into the river but she allowed his body lay beside the river. She followed the policeman until it was safe to steal the phone. Then, she wondered when Leech, her most beloved, would stop being careless.
Racheal gently rubbed her stomach as she hoped her stomach wouldn’t shoot out before her second plan came into play. She hoped Leech understood her letter.

1 Like

Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Ann2012(f): 1:37am On Dec 15, 2018
Interesting, so Rachael even knows Jerry

Thanks for the update
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Divepen1(m): 1:51am On Dec 15, 2018
Ann2012:
Interesting, so Rachael even knows Jerry
Thanks for the update
Oh! Yes.. You're welcome..
Re: 'Lost But Satisfied' A Thriller By Akíntayo Akinjide by Nobody: 2:44am On Dec 15, 2018
Interesting.. so enjoying this
Thanks Divepen1

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Romance Story- The Neigbours / Literature/Writing Complaints Thread / Fierce

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 125
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.