Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,975 members, 7,806,835 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:25 AM

Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System (4184 Views)

The Rot In The Nigerian Judicial System / Nigeria Judicial System Is Too Kind On Heinous Criminals. / EndSARS: LCC Tells Judicial Panel They Are Ready To Show Lekki Shootings Footage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by Zeeyola(f): 7:29pm On Dec 11, 2018
The Nigerian Judicial system :Cash and Carry by Okunlola Azeezat

What really is the definition of Justice? As a kid in junior secondary school, civic education was one of my favorite subjects on account of the fact that in that world I was made to believe retribution and punition met face to face with evil in the kingdom of justice.
I was wrong. Justice has no place in this land of ours. It’s been dethroned and expunged with the passage of time. So, when you see the headlines read, “Millionaire, who accidentally tripped and penetrated a girl, cleared of all charges”, do not be surprised, for in some way, it has become absolutely normal for older men to take minors against their will.
When you rise from sleep and all that comes on air is, “Millions of naira miraculously swallowed by a diabolical snake(in the presence of no one in particular)”, do not rip your garments from frustration. And if by chance all we ever get to hear is news of our brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers, gunned down in some unknown town: vengeance, courtesy of men at corridors of power, please, do not think this something new.

“No Money, No Justice,” the headline read on this very occasion. Apparently, a three year old girl was denied justice having been raped by a man old enough to birth her, on account of the fact that her mother, Mrs. Ify Oyegbule couldn’t afford the prosecution fee.

The above story not only reveals the lackadaisical attitude of the state’s executives towards the welfare of her citizens but further corroborates the fact that in Nigeria, the supposed court of justice, the executive arm and even the law making body operate a “cash and carry” constitutional system and not necessarily one based on the precedents of the rule of law, which brings us to the question, “What are the functions of the arms of government?” Why was the court of law brought into existence?

I believe that in a country where the rule of law reigns sovereign and its leaders aren’t too engrossed in financial matters that lead up to personal gains, series of tests and check ups would have be carried out on the victim of such predicament, whilst the police begins intense investigations.But it shouldn’t come as a surprise that a country whose supposed leaders barely have an idea of the content of the constitution would do nothing about matters such as these. Yet, these so called leaders of ours grumble at the comment made by North Korea’s president barely one week ago.

How effective is the Nigerian constitution? What percentage of justice has been attained? How well is the law interpreted? And how well is it understood? Is there truly justice for the poor? Questions such as these would never seize to exist as long as corruption pervades the very throne of justice and threatens the very existence of the rule of law.

http://mouthpiece.com.ng/the-nigerian-judicial-system-cash-and-carry/

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by Bizmagnet: 5:03pm On Dec 16, 2018
If you live in Nigeria, you deserve an award. The country systems were deliberately designed to oppress the citizenry except you're rich or a top politician.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by kehinde1588(m): 5:04pm On Dec 16, 2018
National Security and Politics: A great concern to all criminologists

Its very pathetic that justice no longer prevail especially when it involves those in power. Over the years, we have witnessed different criminal cases involving highly placed politicians with substantial evidences against them but later turned out to be swept under the carpet. A typical instance we witnessed in the recent time is the case of Offa bank robbery.
On the 5th of April 2018, a bank robbery occurred in Offa kwara state which claimed about 50 lives as reported by the media. The suspects were apprehended, during the course of investigation an highly place government official was indicted in the voluntary confession made by one of the suspects. Recently, the suspects were brought before the court but I was taken aback to have read that the vital evidence which depicted a voluntary confession made by the suspects wasn't presented before the court by the police authority. Isn't that suspicious?
Some weeks ago, it was reported by Police authority that the prime suspect is dead. Also, the case was investigated by the force headquarter(Abuja) but recently, the investigation was moved to the state headquarter(Ilorin). With this alone, isn't an obvious indication that the case has been compromised?

With all these indications, there is a serious threat to the national security. According to former president Obasanjo, he said the greatest danger to national security, coming after external aggression, is the feeling of insecurity- among citizens a situation that could result in "indiscipline, loss of trust in authority, frustration, apathy, desperation, agitation, anarchy, lawlessness..."
The country is no longer safe for living. We may wake up tomorrow and hear of a similar case of Offa bank robbery and no one will be brought to book in as much as an highly placed politician is involved.

Election is fast approaching, political crimes will be on the rise and at the end, no perpetrator will be brought to book simply because they are being used by politicians to retain power.
As criminologists, this is an issue we need to seriously look into. While practicing our profession, we need to be neutral and ensure that all criminals are brought to book irrespective of their social or political status. We must also ensure that all investigation is devoid of manipulation. By doing this, our national security is being protection, crime rate will be minimal and all and sundry will be equal before the law.

2 Likes

Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by itiswellandwell: 5:04pm On Dec 16, 2018
Hmmmm. I ponder on this just yesterday. I was like, why is it difficult for us to implement capital punishment for any political officer who embezzle any funds. I came into the conclusion that it can never happen in as much as leaders who only care about themselves are who will have in power. Nigeria is still on a long thing. Capital punishment makes political post non profitable or lucrative. It's the best for us!

8GB Atm card flash drives for sale. Check my signature.
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by chrisdstar: 5:06pm On Dec 16, 2018
Really?

BTW, why would someone say Asa is not Ugly but Linda ikeji is ugly? Why??
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by sage101: 5:06pm On Dec 16, 2018
Extremadura -:- Gimnastic
1x
Thank me later
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by Nomesky: 5:08pm On Dec 16, 2018
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by congorasta: 5:13pm On Dec 16, 2018
k
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by Nobody: 5:16pm On Dec 16, 2018
Haha welcome to 9ja..
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by Nobody: 5:28pm On Dec 16, 2018
I almost wept when one of the Saraki defence in the Supreme Court was that he got all his stolen billions from Rice farming. can rice even grow in kwara? please not only him and others across d two major Party. Money is Justice in Nigeria.. I give up long time

1 Like

Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by KanwuliaExtra: 5:37pm On Dec 16, 2018
Like husband and wife. . . living happily ever after. cheesy
Fantastically CORRUPT! wink
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by Demarvin: 5:52pm On Dec 16, 2018
What You Will See In This Video Will Shock You >>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxsvetwTIIM
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by Nobody: 5:57pm On Dec 16, 2018
Bizmagnet:
If you live in Nigeria, you deserve an award. The country systems were deliberately designed to oppress the citizenry except you're rich or a top politician.

That's what' democracy is.

You think the People that wrote the law are stupid ?
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by Nobody: 5:58pm On Dec 16, 2018
Twistor:
Click on this link to full story http://thewikidaily.com/scientists-discover-new-treatment-for-anxiety/

Guy shutup already with these boring posts of yours

1 Like

Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by Mutuwa(m): 8:13pm On Dec 16, 2018
Bizmagnet:

Simple..
All the OPs explanation in one capsule.
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by newschartapp: 8:19pm On Dec 16, 2018
Zeeyola:
The Nigerian Judicial system :Cash and Carry by Okunlola Azeezat

What really is the definition of Justice? As a kid in junior secondary school, civic education was one of my favorite subjects on account of the fact that in that world I was made to believe retribution and punition met face to face with evil in the kingdom of justice.
I was wrong. Justice has no place in this land of ours. It’s been dethroned and expunged with the passage of time. So, when you see the headlines read, “Millionaire, who accidentally tripped and penetrated a girl, cleared of all charges”, do not be surprised, for in some way, it has become absolutely normal for older men to take minors against their will.
When you rise from sleep and all that comes on air is, “Millions of naira miraculously swallowed by a diabolical snake(in the presence of no one in particular)”, do not rip your garments from frustration. And if by chance all we ever get to hear is news of our brothers, sisters, mothers and fathers, gunned down in some unknown town: vengeance, courtesy of men at corridors of power, please, do not think this something new.

“No Money, No Justice,” the headline read on this very occasion. Apparently, a three year old girl was denied justice having been raped by a man old enough to birth her, on account of the fact that her mother, Mrs. Ify Oyegbule couldn’t afford the prosecution fee.

The above story not only reveals the lackadaisical attitude of the state’s executives towards the welfare of her citizens but further corroborates the fact that in Nigeria, the supposed court of justice, the executive arm and even the law making body operate a “cash and carry” constitutional system and not necessarily one based on the precedents of the rule of law, which brings us to the question, “What are the functions of the arms of government?” Why was the court of law brought into existence?

I believe that in a country where the rule of law reigns sovereign and its leaders aren’t too engrossed in financial matters that lead up to personal gains, series of tests and check ups would have be carried out on the victim of such predicament, whilst the police begins intense investigations.But it shouldn’t come as a surprise that a country whose supposed leaders barely have an idea of the content of the constitution would do nothing about matters such as these. Yet, these so called leaders of ours grumble at the comment made by North Korea’s president barely one week ago.

How effective is the Nigerian constitution? What percentage of justice has been attained? How well is the law interpreted? And how well is it understood? Is there truly justice for the poor? Questions such as these would never seize to exist as long as corruption pervades the very throne of justice and threatens the very existence of the rule of law.

http://mouthpiece.com.ng/the-nigerian-judicial-system-cash-and-carry/

You know you can track crime report via https://newschartapp.com/crime and court reports via https://newschartapp.com/court
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by franvincoop: 9:57pm On Dec 16, 2018
are you really a nigerian who lives in nigeria? or do you live abroad?
Rice = Billions of USD in 9ja.
Are you normal ?
topeayan:
I almost wept when one of the Saraki defence in the Supreme Court was that he got all his stolen billions from Rice farming. can rice even grow in kwara? please not only him and others across d two major Party. Money is Justice in Nigeria.. I give up long time
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by Boyooosa(m): 11:37pm On Dec 16, 2018
Toor ....
Re: Crime And The Nigerian Judicial System by Zeeyola(f): 8:04am On Dec 23, 2018
Still On The Vice Presidential Debate

I’ll begin by expressing gross disappointment as to the cluelessness of most of the candidates presented as regards the complexities of the problems haunting Nigerians and Nigeria as a country. It was quite exasperating watching these lot go on and about the issues presented before them but without proper logical or critical strategies to accomplish the changes we hope to see.

I believe Nigerians have gone past the stage of being seduced into voting for men who have little or nothing to offer but lies and promises. And even more heartbreaking was knowing that these were the supposed best candidates worthy of being chosen by their parties. If indeed they happened to be the best of them all then I wonder what would become of this nation in years to come.

I believe that at this point,who so ever is to come up to seek the vote of Nigerians must no doubt embody certain characters; intelligence,strategic mindedness,compassion,maturity and passion amongst others.

As the debate proceeded and questions about the rapidly increasing rate of poverty,subsidy and governmental policies were asked,I waited patiently for the time when proper attention would be given to issues like terrorism,health care and education of the Nigerian child but it never came.

The candidates however never failed to take us down memory lane to their previous achievements and how Nigerians should place much trust in them. Some even boldly stood before us to recite figures and ridiculous achievements that couldn’t be found anywhere after fact checks were carried out.

This is 2019 and Nigeria still suffers from recession,an economic disease that doesn’t just begin over night. Recession is the result years of wrong choices,policies and lack of continuity and proper follow up. Yet, these candidates found it quite unnecessary to give Nigerians something tangible to hold on to as regards battling this monster.

What seemed important was closely comparing their policies in initial positions in government or at NGOs to the policies that would affect Nigerians as a whole- A country with total population of 200 million people. How unreasonable?

It’s disheartening that issues like cultural and religious intolerance, terrorism and the famous herdsmen killings weren’t addressed at all. Or perhaps these are strategies by the government to reduce the population or have the nation divided. It’s high time transparency was the moto of our government.

Excesses from subsidy,recovered funds,fines and taxes have somehow dematerialized into thin air. What we need is a committee in charge of funds such as these who would be held accountable and see to it that these funds are put into profitable use. It’s ridiculous how the economy has been monopolised,with no trace of Agriculture or Industry and yet none of our refineries are functioning. We import even the only resource we can boast of and as much trees as we have in their variety, we spend over 26million on the importation of toothpick.

How Mr. Vice President could boldly make mention of this fact is even more outrageous. We have gotten to a point where corruption has eaten so deep our law makers have no problem standing before us to slap us in the face with lies and feel no remorse or compassion.

The problem with Nigeria isn’t lack of funds as our government portray. It isn’t that it’s so hard to turn things around in this country as our law makers paint it to be. Our problem is consistently swearing in mediocrities into power,men who have long sold out their soul and have no trace of conscience left in them.

I believe democracy doesn’t work well in a country as corrupt as this. Not when the senate never seem to act civilized or come to a favourable agreement,yet are handsomely paid even higher than the senate of any other country whilst her citizens die from the pangs of hunger and starvation,not to mention the Godforsaken allowances and projects handed to them whilst our youths remain unemployed,roaming the streets of Nigeria.

If Nigeria would be made to improve,then a critical constitutional amendment process must take place. A constitution in favour of the people,the poor,the needy and the generation to come.

By Okunlola Azeezat Olayinka,Author of ‘Red Fuse Trip’ currently on sale on okadabooks.

God bless Nigeria.http://mouthpiece.com.ng/still-on-the-vice-presidential-debate/

(1) (Reply)

Area Boys Inserts Finger Into Girls Private Part For Stealing Thier Phone / 80yrs Old Man Dies In Hotel After Sleeping With A 33yr Old Lady / BREAKING: 'oko Oloyun' Shot But Not Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.