Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) (28714 Views)

The Legendary Staff Of Oranmiyan / Lockdown: My Visit To Street Market In Greece (photos) / My Visit To Willow Wood: Hotel Allegedly Owned By Rochas Okorocha In Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by theoldpretender(m): 9:48am On Dec 12, 2018
Wow...did not know that Oramiyan's staff was that tall!

Interesting site.

2 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Topmaike007(m): 9:49am On Dec 12, 2018
Bbsharon:

The imaginary that has at least an evidence to show for it?? That's why the story is being told so one can relate with it. You don't have to believe in this but some people do and they do so strongly and they appreciate the sense of culture they have been able to carry on successfully from one generation to another.

I believe a tourist centre can have just a single piece of historical piece and still be appreciated. The only problem with this one is the fact of it not being properly maintained over the years.

Most importantly I do not buy the idea of belittling or despising other people belief simply because I don't hold same ideology.

Beside please do post your thoughts in one piece. To avoid spamming this thread. Thanks.
leave the mumu alone joor and moreover I hope you enjoy our side I hope you did not take gbodo cos those places are worst..

3 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Topmaike007(m): 9:51am On Dec 12, 2018
but this bbsharon fine abeg true definition of yoruba demon

2 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by allanphash7(m): 9:51am On Dec 12, 2018
Isese l'agba
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by 1miccza: 9:51am On Dec 12, 2018
Wow!! Can't wait to visit these sites, @Bbsharon, can we chat? ? ?

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by PBseller8875: 9:51am On Dec 12, 2018
Original INEC Life Power. Its brand new and will give you at least 20 hrs back up on your Laptop. Stop wasting money to fuel Gen!

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Esteban8(m): 9:52am On Dec 12, 2018
with the way Nigeria is going eh..the bros wii soon come nd carry his staff

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by GlorifiedTunde(m): 9:54am On Dec 12, 2018
Bbsharon:
Before starting this story I would like to state that I got this narration from the guard called Baba Ogba at the groove in Ile Ife. I also made some research on the story to compare with the narration I got from him without leaving out the originality of his own words. Hope you enjoy!!.

Oranmiyan was a great warrior of the Yoruba kingdom with so much power and might. He was not just a warrior in his hometown Ile-Ife but also a great warrior around different kingdoms as he fought and conquered lot of territories across different towns and cities.

Oranmiyan fought wars in places such as in Edo state where he got married to a native woman of the land who had a son for him called Eweaka from the Yoruba word “owo mi ka” meaning I’m capable of handling this and who is believed to be the first Oba of the Benin kingdom. He also won wars and conquered the great Oyo kingdom to create the Oyo empire where he made his son king before leaving...

Full story on my blog
www.demitalks.com/2018/12/11/my-visit-to-oranmiyan-staff

Pictures : With Baba Ogba....

Lady, you're doing a fantastic job. Keep it up!

Endeavour to start watermarking your pictures from now onwards, for intellectual property rights.

You never know what fortune a picture may bring to you in the nearest future. wink

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by samsononyilo(m): 10:00am On Dec 12, 2018
And Oranmiyan allowed ilorin to be taken by the Foolanis... Hmm

3 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by jceaglewatch(m): 10:02am On Dec 12, 2018
Sirheny007:
OP You again!
Have you got pregnant yet from your last visit to the fertility Goddess??
I was about to ask the same question. grin grin

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by docadams: 10:03am On Dec 12, 2018
Bbsharon:
Infuriated that he has been called for no good cause he walked into the place where the groove is located present day and struck his staff to the ground. It is believed the staff was wooden but Oranmiyan spoke some incantations to it to make it become concrete-like. Scientific research dates the staff to be around 1300 centuries. The people of Ile-Ife still believe to this day that Oranmiyan can and still fight their battles and also protect their lands from enemies. Prayers are offered at the foot of the staff but no form of sacrifice allowed not even by traditionalist.

Bottles of strong Gin used for prayers at the groove
Interesting place I must say. I particularly enjoyed the beautiful story and the natural feeling of cool breeze and rustles by the trees. The guard was patient and also a good orator.

Pictures ;
** Beautiful garden at the groove.
** Bottle of dry gin use for praying.
** Fun picture by me wink kiss

@OP , What happened to a prior thread on same topic?
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by YoungLionken(m): 10:03am On Dec 12, 2018
myettiallah:
I can see latrine toilet brooms on the table....
Could this be the APC headquaters for broom manufacturing?
Who knows, you might be right lol
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Gboy101: 10:04am On Dec 12, 2018
grin was he a giant man? or just a folklore

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by excess4luv: 10:04am On Dec 12, 2018
those days of Oranmiyan school I, II, III, IV &V. School V was like goat house.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by YoungLionken(m): 10:06am On Dec 12, 2018
sotall:
Just imagine the myth and fairy tales and folklores we are suppose to believe

Africans must have been really backward in those days
Up till now bro...

Africans keep giving history without proof.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by adolf444: 10:07am On Dec 12, 2018
Kudos OP, more of this is what we need on NL not some irrelevant stories making FP.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by sapoyoro(m): 10:08am On Dec 12, 2018
0balufonlll:
X

So, I hope you enjoyed the time spent in my town. We hope you visit again, there are hundreds of such sites scattered around Ife.
are u in anyway related to obalufon?
he was my forefather.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 12, 2018
Deut 12:3 And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their GROVES with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place.
...and do not tell me this is Old Testament, O ye New Testament Christians.

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Vado(m): 10:11am On Dec 12, 2018
I thought there used to be two staff. One got broken or so.
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by TheStarsAlign: 10:15am On Dec 12, 2018
Bbsharon, all I can see in you is bravery (which I admire), but be careful though. Too much bravery can have its consequences too. Your friend just thinking loud...

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by jesutakewe(f): 10:20am On Dec 12, 2018
Bbsharon:
The staff located at Mopa Arubidi area of Ile-Ife stands at 5.5m tall and about 1.2m in circumference at the foot and is believed to have been his staff while he was alive i.e his walking stick. Interesting shocked The staff also served as his shield when he goes to war as he used it to wade off arrows and bullets from attackers. The staff has different markings engraved by the side from the top to the bottom with bullets holes and arrows gotten during battle. To this day before any Ooni in Ife emerges he must pay homage to the Oranmiyan staff with series and procedures of different sacrifices to carry out and also the traditional Oloja festival that takes place in September must be done yearly in honour of Oranmiyan by the Ooni.

After several battles Oranmiyan finally returned to Ife to become king and sent the reigning king into exile, being a great warrior the reigning king gave room for him to be king . After a while of reigning as king he called his warriors together and informed them he was going on a journey to visit his sons scattered across different kingdoms but he would be going alone as he was not going on a war mission this time around . The warriors were confused and terrified of being left alone, they showed their grievance and poured out their fears. They said

‘’ what if you leave and a great war starts? We will all be killed “

Then he called his wife and told her to stay back with them and whenever they sense a war his wife should call on him with a distinct language he taught her now known in Ife as the ‘Gbajure’ language which is still spoken till date.

I have a question for you OP. If the saying is true that Oranmiyan was the son of Oduduwa he sent to Benin. How come in your story he returned to Ife and sent the King (Oduduwa I suppose) on exile? If it wasn't Oduduwa he sent on exile, then he must have deposed his own brother right? or who was that king he sent on exile? Please clarify.

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by Triangles1(m): 10:21am On Dec 12, 2018
You can see why Nigeria is moving slowly because we take our time to debate on meaningless issues, this story is meaningful different from slaying queen threads, a story that impacts more knowledge to man kind yet some enemies of progress belittle the op effort. Yorubas are like needle that have rope they can never get lost.

7 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by femi4: 10:24am On Dec 12, 2018
samsononyilo:
And Oranmiyan allowed ilorin to be taken by the Foolanis... Hmm
Afonja was a great warrior like Oranmiyan who failed in his duty to defend ilorin like Oranmiyan protected Oyo
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by marttol: 10:33am On Dec 12, 2018
Timil:
This Idiot thinks he's funny but he's boring and dumb as fucck.

Kiddo what the op stated above is the actual history and events that occured in yoruba land during the medieval era.

The yoruba's aren't like some members of a particular tribe who don't know their history and have resorted to claiming "Jews".

You call this myth and fairy tales and folklores despite the evidences and the exhibition of many prehistoric tools of the medieval ages, go to museums in the UK or France you'll see many artifacts of the Yoruba's and Edo's that were stolen when the westerners came to colonize the country.

Some uninformed kids will just wake up from sleep and start downgrading their history while this same kids will be so quick to celebrate whatever is in their bible, quran, torah and the other religious books which can't be proven.

Its a shame that African's of this generation especially the young Nigerian folks have lost touch with their history they now embrace the history of the western folks in the process they lose their identity, shame their identity and forget their history.

I can denounce my Nigerian citizenship for an American one or that of any developed western nation but if there's one thing I can't denounce it is my identity as a Yoruba man, Yoruba is my history, Yoruba flows in me.
BRO I BELIEVE THE BIBLE TILL DEATH... SAME gods OF YOUR ANCESTORS CAN CAUSE YOU HARM, BUT THE GOD OF THE BIBLE LOVES AND PROTECTS US FROM THE gods OF YOUR HISTORY... NOTHING CAN CHANGE THAT... A CHRISTIAN IS CALLED OUT OF EVERY NATION, TONGUE AND TRIBE... I AM PROUD TO SAY I DON'T BELONG TO THEIR NONSENSE HISTORY.

2 Likes

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by notoriousbabe: 10:33am On Dec 12, 2018
Rubbish! Believe this and you'll believe that, seun, lalasticlala,mynd44 and other moderators are all virgins

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by notoriousbabe: 10:35am On Dec 12, 2018
PBseller8875:
Original INEC Life Power. Its brand new and will give you at least 20 hrs back up on your Laptop. Stop wasting money to fuel Gen!
how much?
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by marttol: 10:37am On Dec 12, 2018
Lamb101:
Deut 12:3 And ye shall overthrow their altars, and break their pillars, and burn their GROVES with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods, and destroy the names of them out of that place.
...and do not tell me this is Old Testament, O ye New Testament Christians.
you know the funny thing about the carnal man is that they know nothing about spiritual things... The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is still the God of the Universe... Leave them alone, ignorance is no excuse.

1 Like

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by akdjr(m): 10:48am On Dec 12, 2018
Make u de dia de twist history because u want to claim false dominion over other kingdom. A Yoruba historian The Olugbo of Ugbo, Oba Frederick Akinruntan once charged academic historians to research pre-Oduduwa arrival at Ile Ife to end the controversy about the source of Yoruba as a people. What is the meaning of Oduduwa and Oranmiya in Yoruba language?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by akdjr(m): 10:51am On Dec 12, 2018
And the God of Fashola, Obi, Yuguda, Osaze Abogumoza is also the God of the universe. quote author=marttol post=73774768]you know the funny thing about the carnal man is that they know nothing about spiritual things... The God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob is still the God of the Universe... Leave them alone, ignorance is no excuse. [/quote]
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by 0balufonlll: 10:54am On Dec 12, 2018
x
Re: My Visit To The Groove Of Oranmiyan Staff... Ile-Ife(with pictures) by WORLDPEACE(m): 10:57am On Dec 12, 2018
0balufonlll:
X

So, I hope you enjoyed the time spent in my town. We hope you visit again, there are hundreds of such sites scattered around Ife.

How can I meet speakers of the
Gbajure dialect?
Bbsharon

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

High Tension Pole Falls On Taxi In Port Harcourt / Pictures Of Beautiful Akwa Ibom Rural Road / Umahi Names Ebonyi Airport After Buhari, Secures Approval For Inaugural Flight

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.