Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,627 members, 7,801,813 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 12:09 AM

What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools (4020 Views)

How Can I Stop Feeling So Much Attraction To Same Sex. / What The Rationale Behind Huge Burial Expense / Shalom Shoremi: Lesbian Disowned By Family On Newspaper For Same Sex Marriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 3:16pm On Dec 24, 2018
egojeny1:

Ok.
One thing some parents don't know is that these catholic schools don't tolerate nonsense, once a student is caught doing any shit he/she is gone.

That's why they hide nao cheesy.

Besides, some of the staff are into it. Either they have knowledge of it or are actively or in actively involved.

Besides, expelling a student won't change anything when the damage has been done.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 24, 2018
NL1960:

Is there no gay or lesbianism in mixed sex schools?. I hope you know that in mixed sex schools, girls and boys do not sleep in the same dormitory. Girls have their dormitory while boys have theirs. So what are we talking about?. I went to a mixed sex school and gays and lesbians were there.

When do you think gays and lesbians operate?. Is it in the day time or in the night during lights out?. So you think girls in mixed sex school cannot operate in their dormitory after lights out or boys cannot operate in theirs after lights out?.

Whether same sex or mixed sex, upbringing matters. Some kids are already spoilt at home before going to school.

Check countries that have legalized same sex relationship and tell me if the act was caused by preponderance of same sex schools.

If you know what goes on in several mixed schools(day and boarding) in the country, you will not be saying this.

Homosexuals are all around us.

The real question is, are you curious enough to experiment with your own Sexuality?

I've noticed most girls are inherently bisexual or bicurious.

They want to experience and know how it feels being with a girl.

Girls miss on the lips easily and no one bat's an eyelid.

Guys, straightv guys can't do that.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by NL1960: 6:08am On Dec 25, 2018
JayIlych:

cheesy Madam, I like dealing with concrete facts when discussing about a particular thing.

Your case and that of your brothers are properly different from others.
Some students after being raped by their seniors or School Mothers or Fathers (remind me the use of that again??) would find out that they liked the experience and come back for more, even though the first time would surely be traumatic.

I'll bring you links of people right here on nl that had this same problem.

I hope I find the links.

Don't get me wrong ma, I'm not saying it's everyone that goes to a same sex school will end up questioning their Sexuality, I'm just saying it's a factor.

Selah.

Rape by seniors, school mothers and school fathers is not restricted to same sex schools. It is also in mixed schools. As i have said earlier, boys and girls in mixed schools do not stay in the same dormitory. Boys cannot enter girls dormitory and girls cannot enter boys dormitory. I went to a mixed school and a boy was expelled for homo.

Many countries have legalized same sex relationships because of people coming out.. What is the statistics that these people went to same sex schools?.

Societies and Parents are increasingly failing in their duties. Instead of taking a deep look at where the problems are, people are quickly "lazily" pointing at same sex and missionary schools. When the government took over schools in the 70s and turned them to mixed and day schools, was there no homo then?. How many parents know what their kids are exposed to by maids and house boys?.

What is even the percentage of homos in same sex schools that is triggering this conclusion?.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 6:56am On Dec 25, 2018
chilisauce:

While I can't categorically say if same sex schools influence homos, I do believe it has its benefits.
I went to a mixed school and we had guys caught who also confessed to be homos. I also have female friends who went to mixed schools who are homos.

I think it's both ways.
typically u r tryna say u r homo or dyke which?
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 11:45am On Dec 25, 2018
NL1960:

Rape by seniors, school mothers and school fathers is not restricted to same sex schools. It is also in mixed schools. As i have said earlier, boys and girls in mixed schools do not stay in the same dormitory. Boys cannot enter girls dormitory and girls cannot enter boys dormitory. I went to a mixed school and a boy was expelled for homo.

Many countries have legalized same sex relationships because of people coming out.. What is the statistics that these people went to same sex schools?.

Societies and Parents are increasingly failing in their duties. Instead of taking a deep look at where the problems are, people are quickly "lazily" pointing at same sex and missionary schools. When the government took over schools in the 70s and turned them to mixed and day schools, was there no homo then?. How many parents know what their kids are exposed to by maids and house boys?.

What is even the percentage of homos in same sex schools that is triggering this conclusion?.

You just Brough up another valid point.

It would be derailing this thread, but I want to have a little snippet at it.

The issue of house maids.

These parents go out very early and come back late. They have zero idea how their children is faring, what he/she has been exposed to.
If the child is undergoing abuse, the child's first crush, fears, insecuriites.

Everything falls on the maids.

Okay, enough derailing..

You might be right but I'm not sending my child to a same sex school. That's my opinion anyways.

Happy Christmas sir grin
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by egojeny1(f): 2:20pm On Dec 26, 2018
JayIlych:

These parents go out very early and come back late. They have zero idea how their children is faring, what he/she has been exposed to.

Okay, enough derailing..

You might be right but I'm not sending my child to a same sex school. That's my opinion anyways.

Happy Christmas sir grin
Hia!!
Pls nobody is forcing you to send ur child to a same sex school, everyone has his/her choice.

Thank you
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by bukatyne(f): 3:49pm On Dec 26, 2018
donproject:
Nothing in Nigeria works as it is intended.

Haha haha
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by NL1960: 4:49pm On Dec 30, 2018
JayIlych:

Thanks for your reply sir.

So knowing the underlying risk of exposing the kids to lesbians and gays (and possibly "turning them" lol) you still felt that a same sex school, boarding house inclusive would be best.

What were the factors that made you eliminate some certain schools as you wrote?
Was it discipline? (or lack of it)
Or values?
What were the mitigating factors?

I think you should note that no matter how highly regarded a school is with excellent staff and highly religious values, there are still loopholes and you can't deny the force of electromagnetism that people get attracted to the people they stay with over time.

Once again, thank you for your time.

JayIlych:

Thanks for your reply sir.

So knowing the underlying risk of exposing the kids to lesbians and gays (and possibly "turning them" lol) you still felt that a same sex school, boarding house inclusive would be best.

I had no fear of exposing the kids to lesbians and gays as i went to a mixed school and we were not allowed to enter the girls dormitory and you are now allowed to have s*x with a girl in the school. If you want to have s*x with any girl, you wait till vacation. grin

As i have said before, boys stay together in the boys dormitory while girls stay together in the girls dormitory. That is same sex dormitory. What goes in mixed sex schools that you think lesbianism and gay are not there?.

JayIlych:

What were the factors that made you eliminate some certain schools as you wrote?
Was it discipline? (or lack of it)
Or values?
What were the mitigating factors?

First of all, i wanted boarding for them. Secondary i did not want a private secondary school as since most of them are setup with profit in mind, it means discipline will be relaxed because once a child is sent away, it means a loss of profit. There is also the issue of merit as the rate of manipulation to favour a child is high there. My son was affected in primary school. So did not want a re-occurrence in a private secondary school. Even though the catholic schools might not be 100% fool proof but at least there is a high percentage of a merit based system there and there is serious discipline. Try to find out from parents that have their kids in catholic schools or students that attend them. Some students normally run away because they could not cope. grin

JayIlych:

I think you should note that no matter how highly regarded a school is with excellent staff and highly religious values, there are still loopholes and you can't deny the force of electromagnetism that people get attracted to the people they stay with over time.

I know there are loopholes in every system but such loopholes are always being plugged in catholic schools. Many parents that could not manipulate the system have had to withdraw their kids. You fail in catholic schools, you repeat. You fail again, you are withdrawn and it is not every class that you can repeat. You fail in some classes, you are asked to withdraw.

The catholic schools do not joke. You either shape in or you shape out.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by NL1960: 5:18pm On Dec 30, 2018
JayIlych:

Okay, enough derailing..

Happy Christmas sir grin

I do not think the thread will be derailed by this. Many parents have left their responsibilities which might not be totally due to their fault.

Look at this scenario that was recently sent to me:

(1) Husband and wife are full time employees.

(2) Both leave home everyday by 5am and come back around 9pm.

(3) The woman gets pregnant. Take 3 months maternity leave to give birth.

(4) After 3 months, she goes back to work leaving the child in the care of a maid

(5) On Saturday, the woman goes to clubs functions or other social functions leaving the child with the maid

(6) On Sunday, she goes to church almost all day and when back, she goes to saloon as the next day is working day. For 7 days, she had not really had any close and personal contact with the child.

(7) In all these, the child is with the maid

(8.) The maid could be a sexually matured girl who is now 'caged' taking care of the child

(9) the maid has an internet phone where she watches all sorts and masturbates in order to relieve her sexual stress

(10.) The child becomes of school age.

(11) The maid prepares the child for school everyday as both parents leave early for work.

(12) After school, the maid brings back the child and stay with him/her till both parents comes back around 9pm by which time the child might be sleeping

(13) Everyday, the maid watches all sorts with the child by her side

(14) If the 'caged' maid wants to practice what she has been watching, who else will she practice it with?.

(15) Before you say Jack Robinson, the child is sent to either a mixed or same sex boarding school.

(16) If the child is sent to a same sex school and then exhibits what he/she has learnt from the maid, people will now quickly jump to conclusion that it is same sex school that 'changed' the child and start spreading the story that same sex schools breeds gays and lesbians.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by NL1960: 5:25pm On Dec 30, 2018
JayIlych:

Okay, enough derailing..

Happy Christmas sir grin

My first priority was catholic boarding school. Mixed or same sex was not a priority to me. The catholic schools that met my other strict criteria including location just happen to be same sex school and that was it.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 12:07am On Jan 03, 2019
NL1960:

I do not think the thread will be derailed by this. Many parents have left their responsibilities which might not be totally due to their fault.

Look at this scenario that was recently sent to me:

(1) Husband and wife are full time employees.

(2) Both leave home everyday by 5am and come back around 9pm.

(3) The woman gets pregnant. Take 3 months maternity leave to give birth.

(4) After 3 months, she goes back to work leaving the child in the care of a maid

(5) On Saturday, the woman goes to clubs functions or other social functions leaving the child with the maid

(6) On Sunday, she goes to church almost all day and when back, she goes to saloon as the next day is working day. For 7 days, she had not really had any close and personal contact with the child.

(7) In all these, the child is with the maid

(8.) The maid could be a sexually matured girl who is now 'caged' taking care of the child

(9) the maid has an internet phone where she watches all sorts and masturbates in order to relieve her sexual stress

(10.) The child becomes of school age.

(11) The maid prepares the child for school everyday as both parents leave early for work.

(12) After school, the maid brings back the child and stay with him/her till both parents comes back around 9pm by which time the child might be sleeping

(13) Everyday, the maid watches all sorts with the child by her side

(14) If the 'caged' maid wants to practice what she has been watching, who else will she practice it with?.

(15) Before you say Jack Robinson, the child is sent to either a mixed or same sex boarding school.

(16) If the child is sent to a same sex school and then exhibits what he/she has learnt from the maid, people will now quickly jump to conclusion that it is same sex school that 'changed' the child and start spreading the story that same sex schools breeds gays and lesbians.

Very sadly, this sums up some Nigerian homes. Ever wondered why most children of wealthy parents are usually spoilt brats??

If you ask me, it's not mainly the money, it's the lack of a family.

Maids, maids, maids. Well, what can I say?
We've heard stories upon stories.
There was a report of a maid putting a spoon into the vagina of a baby, a baby sad.

Maids having their way with children.. Both male and female.

Well, I disagree with you, this is already derailing this thread.

This issue of maids is supposed to be on another thread.

Same sex schools are still taboo to me.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by meobizy(f): 8:01pm On Mar 09, 2019
Let me resurrect this thread.
Today is a slow news day, all these political news are boring to the bone.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by PuZZyNegro: 12:55pm On Mar 10, 2019
meobizy:
Let me resurrect this thread.
Today is a slow news day, all these political news are boring to the bone.

I thought I'm the only one bored with reports of results from polling units. I wonder why Nairaland cannot wait until inec officially announce the state results.

Back to the topic of the thread, I attended a same sex boarding school and it's not an experience that I would want my children to have.

1. Firstly, same sex schools don't breed Homo sexual, it happens that people with Homo sexual tendencies find themselves in same sex schools.

2. In a same sex school, some things that heterosexual people will see as disgusting are seen as normal there. Things like touching each other's genitals, holding hands together, crossing hands on the neck, etc.

3. Boarding school not being the point of argument here, any boarding school that allows the boys to be in the same hostel and girls same, can be regarded as same sex school as far as sexual orientation is the topic of discussion.

4. I detest boarding school in all its forms. I am a victim. Sexuality not being the major problem in boarding schools, there are other disadvantages that come with being a boarder.

The top advantage of going to same sex school especially male same sex school is intelligence and smartness.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by frozen70(f): 10:42pm On Mar 10, 2019
I attended same sex school and it helped me to struggle with my mates and try hard to come out better if not best and helps me to be independent

Those in mix school looks up to the boys to help them in their duty or jobs because they feel it's hard and it should be left to the boys

Whereas those in same sex school have no option than for them to do the job or duty themselves

Same sex school have the tendency to expose girls to early sex and such is dengerous to the girls

Most public school have more drop outs because their counterparts who are boys practices sex with the girls who doesn't know how to play safe

But those in missionary school of same sex still keeps their virginity more because they don't really have Chances of meeting the boys unless when they are on holidays

Secondary school age for girls especially is the time to grap them

They develope all developable, if you don't nurture them at that period you will loose them

Those in same sex school hardly talk about boys because they hardly know them

But the ones in mix school talks about them because they make passes at them and the next thing is to go experimental.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 8:00pm On Apr 22, 2020
frozen70:
I attended same sex school and it helped me to struggle with my mates and try hard to come out better if not best and helps me to be independent

Those in mix school looks up to the boys to help them in their duty or jobs because they feel it's hard and it should be left to the boys

Whereas those in same sex school have no option than for them to do the job or duty themselves

Same sex school have the tendency to expose girls to early sex and such is dengerous to the girls

Most public school have more drop outs because their counterparts who are boys practices sex with the girls who doesn't know how to play safe

But those in missionary school of same sex still keeps their virginity more because they don't really have Chances of meeting the boys unless when they are on holidays

They develope all developable, if you don't nurture them at that period you will loose them

But the ones in mix school talks about them because they make passes at them and the next thing is to go experimental.

Ahh, this thread.

Most of the points you raised here are invalid. I'll be back to counter tho
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Mizwisdom(f): 8:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
Same sex school is best for girls, 100% best for females.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Mizwisdom(f): 8:04pm On Apr 22, 2020
JayIlych:

Ahh, this thread.

Most of the points you raised here are invalid. I'll be back to counter tho

What are you countering there? when there are no male distractions girls perform a whole lot better.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 8:05pm On Apr 22, 2020
Mizwisdom:
Same sex school is best for girls, 100% best for females.

You'll have to give your reasons.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Mizwisdom(f): 8:10pm On Apr 22, 2020
JayIlych:

You'll have to give your reasons.

1. It levels the playing field for girls in the public school system.
Data gathered from the U.S. Census Bureau and NCES shows that 54% of students in the average classroom are boys. If you take grades 1-12 by themselves, that figure is still 51% to 49% for the girls. That means there are more opportunities for boys to take over the learning experience since they are in the majority. Their contributions are usually rewarded because teachers believe that action encourages their participation.
When Jefferson Leadership Academies created entirely single-gender classes in 1999, girls did immediately better in science and math.

2. Having a classroom with both genders can create distractions.
Although the distractions of a mixed-gender classroom usually begin in the upper grade levels, there can be issues in grades 1-4 in the United States as well. Children can talk about the “crushes” they have on each other, test out the idea of a “relationship,” and focus more on the social elements found in the classroom instead of their educational processes.
Since boys can be impulsive more often than girls, the goal of creating a single-gender classroom is to create an environment that meets individualistic needs while still encouraging socialization. By eliminating the distractions that exist to learning, it becomes easier to retain the knowledge that teachers offer.

3. It can produce specific benefits consistently.
Research on single-gender classrooms consistently shows that girls who receive opportunities to learn STEM-based principles away from boys have significantly higher grades than those who are in a coeducational environment. Math and science among girls are much stronger with this advantage in particular. Although some of the other subjects do not receive the same boost in scores, the weakest areas in education for women today become stronger when there is an opportunity at separation.
That means a school could counter a poor performance in STEM-related categories by creating gender-specific classrooms in this area while still emphasizing co-education in the other fields.

4. This structure can reinforce the traditional roles of gender in society.
Even when we promote gender equality in society, there are specific ways that women are better than men and vice-versa. Instead of trying to normalize these differences by dragging individual strengths toward weaknesses, the single-gender classroom environment can help students implement their best attributes in ways that are equitable, healthy, and cooperative. Although this advantage may not apply to the most assertive girls or passive boys in a school, there are still ways to help each child learn to recognize what they are good at doing – and then encourage them to keep practicing that skill.

5. It removes the unnatural structures that are in the coeducational environment.
There are core gender differences that lead to different biological development in boys and girls. The former typically learns mathematics faster, while the latter picks up language concepts and reading with a greater intensity. That doesn’t make one method right and the other wrong. It just means that instead of equalizing the learning processes in this situation, teachers can use the same-gender structure to promote the most robust curriculum possible to increase knowledge at the correct time of a student’s development.
When boys are held back from math or girls asked to stop their language development, then it becomes a challenge for that student to reach their full potential. Single-gender classrooms make it easier to avoid that problem.

6. There is less bullying that happens in the single-gender classroom.
Although there are classrooms where aggressive boys and girls can trigger bullying behaviors in themselves and others, this issue is significantly reduced in the single-gender classroom. There are more opportunities for boys in this environment to pursue music and the arts because there are fewer issues with intimidation. Girls experience this advantage by having more opportunities in mathematics and science. Since there are fewer options to feel scared or embarrassed in front of the opposite sex, there are more chances to enjoy self-exploration and product better grades because of it.

7. There can be fewer issues with reproductive health problems.
By then age of 18, over half of teenagers in the United States say that they have had at least one sexual encounter. It usually occurs with someone who is a serious boyfriend or girlfriend, but it can be a casual friend, an acquaintance, or even a stranger in some situations. This statistic is consistent in religious schools as well. When students are placed in single-gender classrooms, the risk for STIs and STDs won’t disappear, but it can be significantly reduced. It eliminates the impulsiveness that distractions cause in the classroom, reduces sexually-fueled aggression, and encourages students to focus more on their intimate relationships outside of the classroom.

8. Students still have an opportunity to participate in after-school activities.
High schools that promote single-gender classrooms still provide sports, creative endeavors like art and band, and other after-school activities just as a coeducational environment provides. Although there are some changes that can be spotted (like a lack of cheerleaders), students receive the same options to be active in whatever pursuits are of interest to them. There are multiple ways to pursue character development opportunities and mixed-gender classrooms are only one of those options.

9. It eliminates the double standard that exists for girls.
Coeducational opportunities typically hold girls to different aesthetic standards than boys, even when the dress code is simple or casual. Many of the regulations that are in place involve apparel that girls typically wear to school. Instead of teaching kids about equality, they create single-gender perspectives through the implementation of different policies and procedures that involve student appearance.
As NEA Today pointed out in 2018, many school districts use dress codes that have gendered language. “Girls must not show cleavage or wear spaghetti straps,” is just one example. The reason for this issue is the “distraction” that this could cause the boys. It is a form of victim-blaming that disappears if a single-gender classroom policy is in place. To make matters even worse, it can be almost impossible to find clothing that meets the expected standards of gender-based dress code

1 Like

Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 8:21pm On Apr 22, 2020
frozen70:
I 1. attended same sex school and it helped me to struggle with my mates and try hard to come out better if not best and helps me to be independent

2. Same sex school have the tendency to expose girls to early sex and such is dengerous to the girls

Your first point may be valid, no counter argument there.

2nd point, fa fa fa foulllllllll.

Sexual promiscuity isn't restricted to co-educational schools.
I know of a girl I'm talking to now, she went her entire secondary school in an all girls school.
She doesn't know how to relate to the male folk.
Some simple and common things every girl need to know about guys like ego, how to communicate, etc.
Like, this girl is totally and absolutely clueless when it comes to dealing with me, I have to start teaching her some very basic things and even at that, it's still difficult for her to learn.
On the matter of guys, she's a tabularasa.
I fear it will cause problems for her in her marriage.

Like, if her husband gets angry, she doesn't even know endearing words to say, or how to massage his ego till he cools down, very basic and rudimentary stuff.

Moving on to your next point, you said most public schools have more drop outs because they have sex and get the girl pregnant and run away abi.
Lol cheesy
Common causes of secondary school dropouts range from lack of funds, no motivation, academic retardation, etc.
Mind you, guys in secondary school, ss1-3 range from 14 years to 20 years so where are they running to when most of them are still dependent.
If they get a girl pregnant, most likely than not, she gives birth or abortion.

Does this let off the homosexual practices in the dormitories?
I know scores of young ladies and guys that have been lured into this homo thing.
Their school mothers or fathers seducing them and because they're naive and the older school father/daughter knows where to touch to get the youngin's blood racing, séduction is easy and after that first time, they begin to develop sexual and physical feelings for the same gender!

Let me also burst your bubble, saying girls in same sex institutions keep their virginity more is another fallacy, the ones that don't lose their hymen to candles, fingers, bananas, cucumbers, etc are already sexually psyched and when they hear stories of how sex is with a guy, they are eager to experience it, plus they know next to nothing about guys, so they are initiated into the world of sex and debauchery.

My conclusion is thus, the rationale of same sex schools is a case of dead on arrival.
1. It doesn't guarantee the child (boy/girl) will not be sexually active
2. They are exposed to homosexual activities
3. The girls most especially know next to nothing about guys, save the ones that were already exposed before their introduction to same sex schools

I can go on, but hand dey pain me.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 8:24pm On Apr 22, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Data gathered from the U.S. Census Bureau and NCES shows that 54% of students in the average classroom are boys. If you take grades 1-12 by themselves, that figure is still 51% to 49% for the girls. That means there are more opportunities for boys to take over the learning experience since they are in the majority. Their contributions are usually rewarded because teachers believe that action encourages their participation.
When Jefferson Leadership Academies created entirely single-gender classes in 1999, girls did immediately better in science and math.

Although the distractions of a mixed-gender classroom usually begin in the upper grade levels, there can be issues in grades 1-4 in the United States as well. Children can talk about the “crushes” they have on each other, test out the idea of a “relationship,” and focus more on the social elements found in the classroom instead of their educational processes.
Since boys can be impulsive more often than girls, the goal of creating a single-gender classroom is to create an environment that meets individualistic needs while still encouraging socialization. By eliminating the distractions that exist to learning, it becomes easier to retain the knowledge that teachers offer.

Research on single-gender classrooms consistently shows that girls who receive opportunities to learn STEM-based principles away from boys have significantly higher grades than those who are in a coeducational environment. Math and science among girls are much stronger with this advantage in particular. Although some of the other subjects do not receive the same boost in scores, the weakest areas in education for women today become stronger when there is an opportunity at separation.
That means a school could counter a poor performance in STEM-related categories by creating gender-specific classrooms in this area while still emphasizing co-education in the other fields.

Even when we promote gender equality in society, there are specific ways that women are better than men and vice-versa. Instead of trying to normalize these differences by dragging individual strengths toward weaknesses, the single-gender classroom environment can help students implement their best attributes in ways that are equitable, healthy, and cooperative. Although this advantage may not apply to the most assertive girls or passive boys in a school, there are still ways to help each child learn to recognize what they are good at doing – and then encourage them to keep practicing that skill.

5. It removes the unnatural structures that are in the coeducational environment.
There are core gender differences that lead to different biological development in boys and girls. The former typically learns mathematics faster, while the latter picks up language concepts and reading with a greater intensity. That doesn’t make one method right and the other wrong. It just means that instead of equalizing the learning processes in this situation, teachers can use the same-gender structure to promote the most robust curriculum possible to increase knowledge at the correct time of a student’s development.
When boys are held back from math or girls asked to stop their language development, then it becomes a challenge for that student to reach their full potential. Single-gender classrooms make it easier to avoid that problem.

Although there are classrooms where aggressive boys and girls can trigger bullying behaviors in themselves and others, this issue is significantly reduced in the single-gender classroom. There are more opportunities for boys in this environment to pursue music and the arts because there are fewer issues with intimidation. Girls experience this advantage by having more opportunities in mathematics and science. Since there are fewer options to feel scared or embarrassed in front of the opposite sex, there are more chances to enjoy self-exploration and product better grades because of it.

By then age of 18, over half of teenagers in the United States say that they have had at least one sexual encounter. It usually occurs with someone who is a serious boyfriend or girlfriend, but it can be a casual friend, an acquaintance, or even a stranger in some situations. This statistic is consistent in religious schools as well. When students are placed in single-gender classrooms, the risk for STIs and STDs won’t disappear, but it can be significantly reduced. It eliminates the impulsiveness that distractions cause in the classroom, reduces sexually-fueled aggression, and encourages students to focus more on their intimate relationships outside of the classroom.

8. Students still have an opportunity to participate in after-school activities.
High schools that promote single-gender classrooms still provide sports, creative endeavors like art and band, and other after-school activities just as a coeducational environment provides. Although there are some changes that can be spotted (like a lack of cheerleaders), students receive the same options to be active in whatever pursuits are of interest to them. There are multiple ways to pursue character development opportunities and mixed-gender classrooms are only one of those options.

Coeducational opportunities typically hold girls to different aesthetic standards than boys, even when the dress code is simple or casual. Many of the regulations that are in place involve apparel that girls typically wear to school. Instead of teaching kids about equality, they create single-gender perspectives through the implementation of different policies and procedures that involve student appearance.
As NEA Today pointed out in 2018, many school districts use dress codes that have gendered language. “Girls must not show cleavage or wear spaghetti straps,” is just one example. The reason for this issue is the “distraction” that this could cause the boys. It is a form of victim-blaming that disappears if a single-gender classroom policy is in place. To make matters even worse, it can be almost impossible to find clothing that meets the expected standards of gender-based dress code

I'll modify this post later.

But, hope you know the aim of going to school is not just to gain "book knowledge" but also to pick up social interactive skills?
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Mizwisdom(f): 8:29pm On Apr 22, 2020
JayIlych:

I'll modify this post later.

But, hope you know the aim of going to school is not just to gain "book knowledge" but also to pick up social interactive skills?

I think that's relative. Among core religious families, that won't be a priority at all.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 8:33pm On Apr 22, 2020
Mizwisdom:

I think that's relative. Among core religious families, that won't be a priority at all.

Are you a parent?
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Mizwisdom(f): 8:35pm On Apr 22, 2020
JayIlych:

Are you a parent?
Why are you asking?
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 8:40pm On Apr 22, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Why are you asking?

I want to know if you'll send your female child to a same sex school from js1 to ss3 and she comes out as naive as ever and ready to be deceived because she knows close to nothing about the opposite gender apart from what she's told or read?

That's, assuming she doesn't get initiated into lesbianism.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Mizwisdom(f): 8:45pm On Apr 22, 2020
JayIlych:

I want to know if you'll send your female child to a same sex school from js1 to ss3 and she comes out as naive as ever and ready to be deceived because she knows close to nothing about the opposite gender apart from what she's told or read?

That's, assuming she doesn't get initiated into lesbianism.

When I have one I will send her to same sex school so that she can be very confident in herself and her abilities without depending on a man, also I will encourage her to go into STEM and that's the best environment for it. During breaks she will improve her skills in social interaction through travel and international summer camps.
With good home training based on biblical tenates she will learn to detest lesbianism
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 8:48pm On Apr 22, 2020
Mizwisdom:

When I have one I will send her to same sex school so that she can be very confident in herself and her abilities without depending on a man, also I will encourage her to go into STEM and that's the best environment for it. During breaks she will improve her skills in social interaction through travel and international summer camps.
With good home training based on biblical tenates she will learn to detest lesbianism

You sound like you're not based in Nigeria. And you also sound like a feminist
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Mizwisdom(f): 9:02pm On Apr 22, 2020
JayIlych:

You sound like you're not based in Nigeria. And you also sound like a feminist

Smh
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by Nobody: 9:26pm On Apr 22, 2020
Mizwisdom:

Smh

Thanks so much for answering my question in such an intelligent manner.
Re: What's The Rationale Behind Same Sex Schools by NL1960: 1:07pm On Apr 23, 2020
Mizwisdom:

You nailed it.

I attended a mixed boarding school. In my class of 35 students, there were only 7 girls. Just imagine the ratio and the attendant 'fight to finish' among the boys to win any girl with the attendant distraction on the girls. Imagine five or more boys toasting a girl at the same time. cheesy

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

My Husband Disgusts Me / Am Tired Of Being A Housewife I Want To Learn A Skill / What Would You Do If You Found Out Your Marriage May Not Be Legal?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.