Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,455 members, 7,808,625 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

A Perspective To Comedy, Pageant And Secular Music On Altars - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / A Perspective To Comedy, Pageant And Secular Music On Altars (221 Views)

Apostle Edu Udechukwu Sends DJ Out Of His Wedding For Playing Secular Music / Mike Bamiloye Has This For Nigerian Artistes Who Left Church For Secular Music / A Christian Perspective To Nation Building By Deji Yesufu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

A Perspective To Comedy, Pageant And Secular Music On Altars by olumide54(m): 6:48pm On Dec 12, 2018
WHAT WOULD HE SAY by Olumide Olanrewaju

What you’re about to read are my personal opinions about my religion, so only constructive criticism are appreciated. In this short epistrophe, I refuse to take any side whether it is right or wrong; I’m of the view of adding WHAT WOULD HE SAY OR DO as a fresh perspective to the longing contemporary issues about some activities.

So recently, I read about a Christian centre, where they organize beauty pageant INSIDE THE CHURCH; I was wowed, like have we actually gotten to that extent. Like I said I wouldn’t know if it is right or wrong. Because I know some will come at me that, where is it written in the bible that: “thou shall not hold a beauty pageant in the church”, some will say it is an avenue to engage in some activities/programmes so that the youth wouldn’t do the same outside the church. I just hope that one day I will be able to smoke holy marijuana in the church and surround myself with holy strippers too since I wouldn’t want to the same outside the church.

MY STAND: WHAT WOULD HE SAY? I mean someone you hold in high esteem and worship by its name is physically present. You mean he would also join the judges or audience and say “Oh! I love that intelligent curvy lady with the perfect nose and jaws. No No No; look at the nose of this one like small letter m, hahaha look at her legs like yam too; ohh! I love that chocolate lady, you should know that chocolate is my thing; oh! As beautiful as you are, you can’t answer this simple question, so dull. It might be funny, but take your time to imagine what would Jesus do or say if you could see him present in such activities?

Another is the issue of comedians on the altar; as much as I love comedy and I feel like we should have time to relax off. The place of worship is not a theatre for jest or an abode for comedians to entertain. Interestingly, they even mock the trinity in our presence; use them in scenarios they can’t use for their parents and rubbish the diverse tongues of the Holy Spirit and it sounds so funny to us. It’s so sad, as in right in their presence in a church. Again, some will come at me that, where is it written in the bible that: “thou shall not laugh or have fun in the church”, some will say aren’t those comedians Christians too. Personally, I don’t see a reason why a separate progamme can’t be held for such purpose where insulting words are cautioned too, must it be within a congregational service, some even precedes Holy Communion services. But then these days, most churches are geared towards increasing their number at all cost (entertaining all kind of things).

MY STAND: WHAT WOULD HE SAY? Take your time to imagine what would Jesus do or say if you could see him present. Would he probably laughing out loud to the demeaning jokes about himself and tapping the Holy spirit saying look at your life … hahaha, na you dem finish like this. Or he would stand up and shout “Area”. Or what would you think he would do? Personally, it shows how well we value the trinity.

Another is reconstructing secular music/slang. If not for lack of creativity, I don’t see a reason why these new and young gospel artists should go extra length just to change lyrics of secular music. A lot of people have composed their gospel songs from scratch and received global recognition without tapping into what is trending in the secular world. Today is not the day to argue which is right or wrong to listen to. I listen to both. And I draw my boundaries at both sides; yea even for gospel; I watched some stage performances and music videos recently and all I could see is that they are gradually migrating into what everybody wants to see. As a gospel artist, if you’re after what everybody wants, you can’t stand out. You’re just drinking from a mirage; it won’t stand the test of time. So instead of tapping into already popular secular music to gain speedy popularity, go back to your altar and ask for grace. If a secular musician could make billboard top 100, why can’t you?

One thing about music, music is not in the sounds that come out of the mouth; it is in what the soul thinks of it. The soul seeks for its source and connects to its deity. So songs not borne out of worshipping God, how do you think changing the lyrics will make it get to God? Personally and if you won’t lie , when we listen to these songs, our mind is always completing the lyrics with the un-doctored version of the song and probably visualizing how the video vixen was twisting to the rhymes in the music video. No lies.

MY STAND: WHAT WOULD HE SAY? Take your time to imagine what would Jesus do or say if you could see him present. Would he join you in the worship when he already knows where you’re coming from? Forget the fact that it made people cry or it has broken the congregation; the cry can be coming from the emotional seat, same way when see dehumanizing events and cry and not necessarily because the heavens are shaking; in fact, when we just close our eyes and imagine things, we are liable to cry. So if you think the goodness of the lyrics is what makes heaven comes down, judgment wouldn’t start from the church. May we be present in his presence to receive our presents because of his presence while he is actually present and not because he is omnipresent.

To the “where is it written in the bible” kind of people. The holy book is not just like an organizational policy handbook where the expected codes and conducts are been stated with their corresponding sanctions or disciplinary measures. Its more than that, there are things that are not stated the exact way you want it to appear, but for the sake of the gospel, Paul said. I’ll do away with them (avoid controversies). There are ways that seems right to man, but the end is destruction.

The bible is just a concise written version of what God wants you to know at hand. You wouldn’t get more if the wordings are not transformed in you. But these days, we only skim through, and rejoice because our ulterior motives are not stated clearly.

When someone tells you that Jesus didn’t do this and that in the New Testament as the only excuse for we not to do some things, ask him/her, if it was written that… and Jesus brushed his teeth; but why is he doing so?

THE KEYPOINT is because the death and resurrection of Christ has torn the veil of the temple and made the holy of holies easily accessible doesn’t mean the altar should lose its standard.

Enjoy your day!
WHAT WOULD HE SAY

(1) (Reply)

The Religious Joseph And The Scientific Joseph / Seasons Greetings Reply Of A Nairalander / Seeds Of Destiny By Dr. Paul Enenche

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.