Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,164 members, 7,780,166 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:24 AM

NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence (15870 Views)

Do Noun Students Receive Lectures And How Does Noun Exam Look Like? / Ammended Act: NOUN Students Hail FG / Collection Of NYSC Exclusion Letters For NOUN Students (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by ETEYEN79(m): 10:12am On Dec 14, 2018
National Open University Of Nigeria is one of the universities established by the Federal Republic of Nigeria and got its accreditation from the National University Commission just like every other university in Nigeria. So if there be any one having issues with that, then the person should seek a redress from the same body that established the institution and probably file for revoking the order that established it. Otherwise, there is no need fighting over worthless issues here.
I graduated from NOUN and where I am working right now, everybody including the Managing Director respects me a lot because, I have what it takes to solve problems when one arises. There are many other graduates in the same office, they are also good in their own capacity as we all cannot be the same, but I am different because I discovered in NOUN that "To be brilliant will require me to be an Independent Learner", so anytime we have any challenge in the office, my MD will always call on me because he believes I know how to seek for the solution. I am not trying to brag here, I only want people to know that, Graduate of NOUN are not dumb as believed by many out there. NOUN has made me to be able to discover things on my own without waiting for anyone.
Moreover, I have dealt with many graduates of this highly placed Conventional Universities and discovered that, many of them are not in anywhere better than some NOUN graduates.
Finally, I want to add here also that, it is not the fault of Nigerians that our students are not doing pretty well but the fault of our governments as they are not interested about the decay in our academic standard. so, lets not blame ourselves much.
Thank you all.

3 Likes

Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by JuanDeDios: 10:27am On Dec 14, 2018
germanized:
It makes no sense that a federal institution is witnessing discrimination from another federal institution like NYSC and Council of Legal Education in the case of the law school. What is the job of the NUC and Ministry of Education? Is it not the same government that created the school? The late Obafemi Awolowo studied Law via correspondence (distance learning) and is a national icon today.

HND vs BSc., we discriminate (in the UK, OND and HND can be completed in 2 years, in Nigeria, 5 years +1 year NYSC)
Polytechnic vs. University, we discriminate
Part-time vs. full-time, we discriminate
Hausa vs Igbo vs Yoruba, we discriminate

We have a national problem of discrimination and the earlier we addressed it and made necessary reforms, the better for us as a nation.

If there are certain issues, these things can be solved. NOUN is by far the largest university in Sub Saharan Africa and has the tendency of being the best if the school authorities have good intentions.

In South Africa, UNISA, their own version of NOUN is widely recognized and even preferred to other conventional universities as they prefer people who already have work experience. But here, we discriminate our own things and go abroad to places like Ghana, Benin Republic where students study in container classrooms and business complex-based universities like Accra Institute of Technology etc., yet we allow them serve after they bring their certificates home. Shame!
It's a crying shame!

1 Like

Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by Nobody: 10:27am On Dec 14, 2018
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by striker07(m): 10:27am On Dec 14, 2018
germanized:
It makes no sense that a federal institution is witnessing discrimination from another federal institution like NYSC and Council of Legal Education in the case of the law school. What is the job of the NUC and Ministry of Education? Is it not the same government that created the school? The late Obafemi Awolowo studied Law via correspondence (distance learning) and is a national icon today.

HND vs BSc., we discriminate (in the UK, OND and HND can be completed in 2 years, in Nigeria, 5 years +1 year NYSC)
Polytechnic vs. University, we discriminate
Part-time vs. full-time, we discriminate
Hausa vs Igbo vs Yoruba, we discriminate

We have a national problem of discrimination and the earlier we addressed it and made necessary reforms, the better for us as a nation.

If there are certain issues, these things can be solved. NOUN is by far the largest university in Sub Saharan Africa and has the tendency of being the best if the school authorities have good intentions.

In South Africa, UNISA, their own version of NOUN is widely recognized and even preferred to other conventional universities as they prefer people who already have work experience. But here, we discriminate our own things and go abroad to places like Ghana, Benin Republic where students study in container classrooms and business complex-based universities like Accra Institute of Technology etc., yet we allow them serve after they bring their certificates home. Shame!
You are wrong,Late Awo didn't study law through correspondence
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by JuanDeDios: 10:33am On Dec 14, 2018
striker07:
You are wrong,Late Awo didn't study law through correspondence
You're right. Awo went to England to study law. But Afe Babalola and several others studied law through correspondence.
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by Nobody: 10:35am On Dec 14, 2018
ETEYEN79:
National Open University Of Nigeria is one of the universities established by the Federal Republic of Nigeria and got its accreditation from the National University Commission just like every other university in Nigeria. So if there be any one having issues with that, then the person should seek a redress from the same body that established the institution and probably file for revoking the order that established it. Otherwise, there is no need fighting over worthless issues here.
I graduated from NOUN and where I am working right now, everybody including the Managing Director respects me a lot because, I have what it takes to solve problems when one arises. There are many other graduates in the same office, they are also good in their own capacity as we all cannot be the same, but I am different because I discovered in NOUN that "To be brilliant will require me to be an Independent Learner", so anytime we have any challenge in the office, my MD will always call on me because he believes I know how to seek for the solution. I am not trying to brag here, I only want people to know that, Graduate of NOUN are not dumb as believed by many out there. NOUN has made me to be able to discover things on my own without waiting for anyone.
Moreover, I have dealt with many graduates of this highly placed Conventional Universities and discovered that, many of them are not in anywhere better than some NOUN graduates.
Finally, I want to add here also that, it is not the fault of Nigerians that our students are not doing pretty well but the fault of our governments as they are not interested about the decay in our academic standard. so, lets not blame ourselves much.
Thank you all.
My son Obiora, You have spoken well.
Our fathers used to say that two wrongs cannot make a right.
The government has been wrong, so also the people.
right now, lets sheath our swords and embrace progress.
May the gods guide us all.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by godquality: 10:35am On Dec 14, 2018
Emerald94:
NOUN
the shoes are actually laughing. cheesy cheesy
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by NOUNPortal: 11:08am On Dec 14, 2018
The Strategies that Set Top NOUN Students Apart

> 7 Study Tips To Improve Your Learning at the National Open University
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by EbukaHades10(m): 11:10am On Dec 14, 2018
GlorifiedTunde:

These ones
Bros,na broken be dat. English no apply.
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 14, 2018
Nwaohafia1:
Discriminators ...Go and sin no more...

NOUN is the tertiary form of Adult (Evening) School

So the ones in conventional schools are for babies I suppose
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by omoelerin1: 11:13am On Dec 14, 2018
ETEYEN79:
Thank you all.
University of Ibadan also runs open distance program. About 2 years ago, when the post graduate school of UI conducted entrance exam for all the applicants who wanted to study for their master's degree which comprised graduates from various universities across the country. PG school was surprised that the 2 applicants that scored highest mark were the one who had their first degree through open distance learning mode.

2 Likes

Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by EbukaHades10(m): 11:13am On Dec 14, 2018
SURElee:

So what if he is a Noun material. Las Las it is the same labor market everybody will go apply for job and interviews, ultimately it is the favor of the Lord that sets people apart placing them in high places. Which certificate of Havard or Cambridge did Joseph, David and Daniel tender to get to exalted palace positions of power?
Y e dey pain una? I didn't insult anybody.

I would have done the same thing even if it was Unilag or another school so make una chill,abeg.
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by Nobody: 11:16am On Dec 14, 2018
eezeribe:
If graduates of conventional universities in Nigeria are called half baked...
NOUN graduates should be called quarter baked...
Allowing them go for NYSC is the biggest disservice to the Nigerian labour market and an insult to graduates of regular universities...
NYSC itself is a useless scheme anyway...
Education in Nigeria is a scam btw
Mr stop this unnecessary hatred and stereotype for NOUN graduate. Just deal with it because NOUN graduate can be employed any company that rejects them faces serious litigation
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by Nobody: 11:18am On Dec 14, 2018
olaarie:

Sincere advice.
Don't go to NOUN unless you are ready to be discriminated. All the law passed in Nigeria doesn't change peoples opinion of NOUN.
If Muslim organization fought for the use hjab in most public institutions and at the law school then NOUN will do likewise. In fact any company that fails to accept will be scapegoat
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by Nobody: 11:21am On Dec 14, 2018
SEGLIZ:
west vs africans, white vs black = racism
south africans vs Nigerians = xenophobia
Ibo's vs Hausa vs Yoruba = tribalism.

nigeria educational sector
full-time vs part-time students =
university vs polytechnic vs NCE =
state university vs fed university =
public university vs private university =
NOUN vs conventional university =
nysc discharge vs nysc exemption =

everywhere discrimination, Nigerians are their own problems. we appreciate looking down on ourselves (I better pass my neighbour life style), always believing we are superior to other. this lifestyle is not but burn out of inferiority complex (achieving what you never believe you could).
You said it all
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by Nobody: 11:22am On Dec 14, 2018
bixton:
A university that was created for adults who have passed the prime age of attending a normal regular university to enable them be educated in what can be referred to as a tertiary institution.
Now you have children attending such and clamouring for whatever inclusion just because we have a country that does not know how to tackle her problems.
This is the same reason the government abolished part time university graduates from the mandatory NYSC scheme.A backward system of country where polythecnic/monothecnic no longer exist just because every graduates wants to be equal with that university graduate because they believe they have more practical knowledge,etc,etc,etc. Forgetting the reason why they went to polythecnic/monothecnic in the first instance.
They have changed the 6-3-3 system, very soon technical colleges will be upgraded to the non existent polythecnic system. Hope all these changes will add real value to the country.

The limited jobs are responsible for all you said
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by Kruzxx: 11:31am On Dec 14, 2018
Most people complaining abt Noun r Jambites,undergraduates ,job seekers nd Corps members with mind set of primary sch pupils .. Do u knw how many Ppl dat run online Degrees in EU nd USA? With NOUN u study alone no tutorials sitting arrangement in exams r very strict cos d students r few.. Same way some discriminate against Poly graduates ..so funny.. Many exams i hv passed wch Univ graduates with MBA cud nt pass.. Am a Hnd holder from a state poly nd a PG Noun student .. I can hold my head high anywhere any day..sometimes is nt d sch bt d individual..mind u too am gainfully employed in d oldest bank in nigeria as a core staff.. So we shd rather focos on improving ourselves than making useless comparisons .

2 Likes

Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by Geesaintagape: 11:35am On Dec 14, 2018
Discrimination against NOUN is stupidity.
University is university as far it's got accreditation from NUC.
Nigerians have fundamental problems
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by simplesearch: 11:53am On Dec 14, 2018
But Open University is in about five continent of the world, why the discrimination against our own? I personally knew three guys sometimes ago two of whom are graduate of biology and geophysics from unilag, the third an industrial chemist from futa, they are all very good not doubt. But there is this particular guy from NOU who was so good, he overshadow them all to the point the other three cannot but give him his well deserved respect. I've worked and interacted with grads from diff institutions across Nig, FUTO, UNILORIN, UNILAG, EKPOMA, LASU, DELSU and many others, infact in less than six Month I've worked with two assistant from Yabatech. While some relay or elicit sparks of academic touch, some are completely below average, but none among them is exceptional, in fact many of them can't relate well with computer. In reality, there exist only a very thin line between grads of most Nigeria Institutions, except for few who choose to go the extra-mile through personal effort, and they are available not just in higher institutions alone but in some remote colleges where you see a student from a village school with strange name having best result in jamb or Waec. On a serious note how many graduate on this platform will reject a job offer not connected with their discipline, most grads are only for the certificate thereafter they wait for luck to shine on them, and that's why you hear of instances where a first class graduate working in an oil company finds it difficult to pass a promotional exam, reason many graduate cannot be resourceful until somebody hires them. The other day it was an online barrage and supremacy battle between Unilorin and Lautech students, then UNN and I think FUTO in turn. Some even take the nonsense to the oriental camp, they belittle their fellow corpers who are graduate of polytechnic as if the scheme is not meant for all grad, this nonsense must stop! Let's channel our intellectual sagacity and energy on something meaningful and productive rather than deliberate on irrelevant topics like this one.

1 Like

Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by vision2050: 12:00pm On Dec 14, 2018
Distance Learning
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by donb06: 12:31pm On Dec 14, 2018
eleojo23:
Ignorance and lack of exposure is the problem of those who look down on distance learning.

Distance learning is becoming popular by the day. Apart from courses that require laboratory and practical work, every other course can be taken through online distance learning.

People think distance learning is easy. It takes discipline and more determination to stay focused and complete assignments unlike conventional classroom learning.

I am not a NOUN graduate, but I have taken courses online before and I plan to do another PG degree online.
You just made my day..... but the problems that is now pursuing to offer engineering and medical courses... Just imagine your child needs a surgery and u found out that the proposed surgeon is a NOUN graduate of Medicine..... grin grin grin grin grin
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by deebrownneymar: 2:09pm On Dec 14, 2018
mrrights:
Breaking News
Open University students forgive those who discriminated against them, but won't tolerate recurrence.

Congress of Noun Students (CONS), the umbrella body of students at the National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) has warned the federal government of Nigeria against subjecting students to unnecessary difficulty.

The body, through a statement by its president, Comrade Tijanni Olawoyin noted that it appreciated President Muhammadu Buhari for assenting to the NOUN amendment bill, but advised that government should desist from creating institutions without adequate plan for them.

Comrade Tijanni Olawoyin also thank Senator Baru Jibril, who sponsored the NOUN bill, noting that NOUN students have forgiven all those who discriminated against them in the past, but warned that the body would not tolerate a repeat of past occurrence.

Comrade Tijani therefore demand immediate inclusion of NOUN students in Law School and NYSC.

https://mrrightsng..com/2018/12/noun-students-forgive-those-who.html?m=1

You guys won't tolerate What? Arrogant powerless fools.
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by ETEYEN79(m): 3:19pm On Dec 14, 2018
quote "you have said it all sir, I love people who dissect things objectively.
God bless the womb that gave birth to you"
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by arinzos(m): 4:26pm On Dec 14, 2018
donb06:
You just made my day..... but the problems that is now pursuing to offer engineering and medical courses... Just imagine your child needs a surgery and u found out that the proposed surgeon is a NOUN graduate of Medicine..... grin grin grin grin grin
Hahaha..I don't think The Different Medical Councils would allow NOUN to run Medical Courses.
I don't have any problem with NOUN,so far Their Courses are accrediated and their Lecturers are good.
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by arinzos(m): 4:30pm On Dec 14, 2018
Geesaintagape:
Discrimination against NOUN is stupidity.
University is university as far it's got accreditation from NUC.
Nigerians have fundamental problems
You know this is Nigeria na.If we don't discriminate who will??
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by patrickcollins: 6:15pm On Dec 14, 2018
peacockremi:
NOUN one of the best university in Nigeria .
if u like u can kill yourself because of my comment
Serious, I have been to the school for enquiries on admission, I met a lady who told me she was studying nursing, based on the information available to me that they only have Lecturers on general courses but departmental courses you study by yourself, I asked if it was the same for them she answered in affirmation, throughout the time I was leaving the school I was thinking the type of a Nurse she will become, positive or negative abeg complete it.
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by peacockremi(m): 2:41am On Dec 15, 2018
patrickcollins:
Serious, I have been to the school for enquiries on admission, I met a lady who told me she was studying nursing, based on the information available to me that they only have Lecturers on general courses but departmental courses you study by yourself, I asked if it was the same for them she answered in affirmation, throughout the time I was leaving the school I was thinking the type of a Nurse she will become, positive or negative abeg complete it.
I really want to enlighten u but I felt my effort will not b appreciated
Re: NOUN Students Forgive Those Who Discriminated Them,but Won't Tolerate Recurrence by peacockremi(m): 2:43am On Dec 15, 2018
WayStage:

Truly one of the best UNIVERSITY... smh, see as u cast urself
wat u don't know u don't know

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2017/2018 University Of Ibadan PG English Proficiency Test Info. / The Imprisonment Of Richard Akindele: Lessons For ASUU & LASU - Ibrahim Alao / 2012/2013 Uniuyo Admission Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.