Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,182 members, 7,807,586 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:49 PM

What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive (17732 Views)

Five Simple Things To Do When You Lose Your Brakes While Driving / 5 Most Important Things To Do When Your Car Brakes Fail / 4 Misconceptions About Your Car Brakes, Pads And Fluid (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by Godspower35(m): 2:12am On Dec 13, 2018
Depending on which vehicle you drive and the type of road you drive, you can choose from many options if the brakes do not work when driving.

They may stop working due to friction of the brakes when driving water or mechanical. If you lose the brake fluid, the brake light appears on the dashboard.

A sudden brake failure is very unlikely. Even if your brakes do not work well, you can still apply braking force by pressing the brake pedal more difficult.

In some countries, there are fast evacuation bands located on long mountain ranges, so that vehicles that lack braking can be used, but they are not everywhere. However, let's first talk about the most flat roads.

Get out of the way with a different move
Another move must know what you are doing,
so your indication is important. If you want to move to the left of the road or the belt, please report and try to go to the gap.
On the hard-shoulder highway, try to get to your hard shoulder, because it's less likely that you'll find something you can hit when you slow down.

Pump the brakes
If the pedal is on the floor, pump it several times, and then press it on the floor. It may not be a lot of braking, if the pedal seems stiff, is there anything like a floor mat under it?

Give clear signal
Turning on the warning lights alerts other drivers that you are experiencing difficulties. Use your horn.

Use gears
The lower gears provide more motor and mechanical resistance - this is called a motor brake. Nevertheless, be careful not to overturn the engine. When you lose your speed, you may have to go down the gears. In a vehicle with manual transmission, this is exactly true. In a car with automatic transmission, you may have an L setting or you can have in-line gears with the clip on the back of the steering wheel or down by the gear lever. Continue to shift gears every time the red line falls below a few thousand. Your engine braking will reduce your speed to 5-10km / h, but no more - your car will continue to slide forward.
Do not reverse your car as you move forward, as you are at risk of causing serious damage to your gearbox.

Turn on air conditioning and accessories
The air conditioner must be set to the coldest setting with the highest fan speed. This will absorb several kilowatts of power. Opening all accessories, such as your heated rear window and lights, will create a bit of drift in the alternator.

Use handbrake
Do not pull the parking brake at high speed because there is a risk of spinning. There is also the risk of overheating and ineffective. Wait until the engine braking speed drops below 20 km / h, then slowly apply the handbrake. If the parking brake works only on the rear wheels and they slip, you lose control, so be careful.

Can you apply an electric parking brake while driving?
If you have a newer hydraulic parking brake / electric parking brake, most modern cars perform a controlled deceleration if you hold the key.
[img]https://3.bp..com/-fIg5UGq6jDg/XBGre4sUccI/AAAAAAAAB1c/gOuBO1YBdbgqxNUVpXiSQ-O8-uvtJ5p9QCLcBGAs/s320/brake%2Bfailure.jpg[/img]
Source:
http://www.eliancars.com/2018/12/what-to-do-if-brakes-of-your-car-fails.html#more

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by computerglobal(m): 7:14am On Dec 13, 2018
Good topic

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by CarGuidNG: 7:15am On Dec 13, 2018
wink
Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by Hidentity(m): 7:16am On Dec 13, 2018
Instructive.
Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by LamidicownuBSS: 7:16am On Dec 13, 2018
Ok
Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by PurestBoy(m): 7:18am On Dec 13, 2018
Brake failure is a spontaneous occurrence, I bet you'll forget all this, only the strong hearted can handle the situation

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by NigerianBae: 7:18am On Dec 13, 2018
Good info here
Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by Hez143(m): 7:20am On Dec 13, 2018
very educative op,nice one
Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by Nobody: 7:21am On Dec 13, 2018
Mine was the brake hose burst, I had to apply the hand brake put the gear in LEARNER, then pit on my double pointer, I didn't accelerate and thank goodness the road was free

This happened yesterday

17 Likes

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by ellalina(f): 7:21am On Dec 13, 2018
Future cars should find a way to cut fuel supply to the engine by the push of a button. This will quickly brink the car to a stop

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by kingstarz: 7:22am On Dec 13, 2018
illitrate:
jump out from window, best way.

Wow finally added one to my achievements.

I am now known as illitrate: MBBS, PhD, MSc, BSc, OND, WAEC, JAMB, NECO, FTC grin grin

Savage spotted
Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by ogawisdom(m): 7:29am On Dec 13, 2018
engine braking and hand brake are your best bet

1 Like

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by mikeweezy(m): 7:30am On Dec 13, 2018
ellalina:
Future cars should find a way to cut fuel supply to the engine by the push of a button. This will quickly brink the car to a stop
yea that will be great

7 Likes

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 13, 2018
Just change the car to gear 1 immediately, he go stop

Did that twice when my brake failed before I eventually fixed the whole thing

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by apholaryn: 8:03am On Dec 13, 2018
ellalina:
you are very smart

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by iyaegin: 8:22am On Dec 13, 2018
All these grammar on top brake failure as if there will be brake failure checklist when it is happening...abegi jare...
Just pray to keep the car under control and not be in the wrong place best ave seen on the road the driver's used the road dividers to break their speed

2 Likes

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by bluefilm: 8:44am On Dec 13, 2018
iyaegin:
All these grammar on top brake failure as if there will be brake failure checklist when it is happening...abegi jare...
Just pray to keep the car under control and not be in the wrong place best ave seen on the road the driver's used the road dividers to break their speed

God bless you abeg.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by springtech(m): 8:49am On Dec 13, 2018
ellalina:

Smart thinking.
I love your depth of reasoning.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by frowland(m): 8:50am On Dec 13, 2018
PurestBoy:
Brake failure is a spontaneous occurrence, I bet you'll forget all this, only the strong hearted can handle the situation

OP is NOT a driver.
Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by frowland(m): 8:52am On Dec 13, 2018
ellalina:

It wont stop the car from rolling which is what the debate is all about.

5 Likes

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by Dumetroniks: 9:06am On Dec 13, 2018
ellalina:

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!

Get a refresher on Newtonian Mechanics... Netwon's first law of motion"

Bodies in rest continue to be at rest, Bodies in motion continue to be in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

Cutting fuel supply to the engines would not reduce the inertia of a fast moving vehicle by 1J.

The vehicle would only have less instantaneous power for the next few seconds however what happens to the power already delivered to the engines, shafts, flywheerl, gear train and the rest.

Your best bet is anything 'mechanical' that can reduce the inertia, no more no less.

Hit a ramp, another vehicle, downshift your gear or run into a bush..

Cutting fuel supply is a chemical process you are trying to stop and not a mechanical one.

10 Likes

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by ellalina(f): 9:40am On Dec 13, 2018
Dumetroniks:

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong!

Get a refresher on Newtonian Mechanics... Netwon's first law of motion"

Bodies in rest continue to be at rest, Bodies in motion continue to be in motion unless acted upon by an external force.

Cutting fuel supply to the engines would not reduce the inertia of a fast moving vehicle by 1J.

The vehicle would only have less instantaneous power for the next few seconds however what happens to the power already delivered to the engines, shafts, flywheerl, gear train and the rest.

Your best bet is anything 'mechanical' that can reduce the inertia, no more no less.

Hit a ramp, another vehicle, downshift your gear or run into a bush..

Cutting fuel supply is a chemical process you are trying to stop and not a mechanical one.
I obviously did not do physics. But please what happens if you run out of fuel. Your car gradually comes to a halt.
Am not saying it’s the solution but in a situation where you are on a free way and have no brakes. The solution I proposed is genius

4 Likes

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by flowx(m): 9:48am On Dec 13, 2018
ellalina:
. Good of you guy.
Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by Dumetroniks: 9:48am On Dec 13, 2018
ellalina:
I obviously did not do physics. But please what happens if you run out of fuel. Your car gradually comes to a halt.
Am not saying it’s the solution but in a situation where you are on a free way and have no brakes. The solution I proposed is genius

Lol. And how long do you think it would take a car to grind to halt due to no fuel in engine chamber while the car is on high speed. The mechanical part of the car would take just little time to kill the person in a bad crash before the effect of cut-off fuel supply overrides the car's motion.

1 Like

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by Xmen149(m): 9:49am On Dec 13, 2018
JUST shift the gear to neutral and continues matching the break and control the vehicle ,..at this point no new energy input the existing energy will wear out cos the car will now be decelerating.

never off the engine oh,.ur steering will just lock lipsrsealed

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by Adiwana: 9:54am On Dec 13, 2018
ellalina:

I agree with both of you.This is because while cutting the fuel supply will kind of give you an edge in slowing down,it won't totally stop the car because there is already fuel supplied to the engine and using Newton's first law as the guy already stated,the car needs to be acted at by an "external" force which is typically why hitting cars or anything brings you to an abrupt end.So unless Engineers will find a way of bending that law,then am afraid there's nothing much to be done in this scenario

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: What To Do If The Brakes Of Your Car Fails To Drive by dreamwords: 10:16am On Dec 13, 2018
Copy and paste blogger

(1) (2) (Reply)

Between Accord V6 EX-L And C230 2007 Model Sport Sedan: Pls Advise... / Avoid Common Driving Errors / Who Has The Most Expensive Private Jet In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.