Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,492 members, 7,808,821 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:25 PM

Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity (36341 Views)

NBA Conference: Nigerians lack heroes - Chimamanda Adichie (Video) / We, Not FG, Developed Ebonyi – Umahi / ARDI Petitioned The CCB About Onnoghen Not FG - The Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by paix(m): 5:31pm On Dec 13, 2018
daddytime:
But it was the FG's problem when GEJ was the President because solving Nigeria's power lacuna isn't a rocket science (in your own words).

Yeye people wey dey talk anything wey enter their mouth.

Dem say na where old man from dey till ground dey always soft pass for small pikin eye. E go say papa side soft that's why him dey fast pass me. When you give am papa side na dat time e go come know say block and blokos, difference dey.

You dey mind dis APC people? All they know is complain, complain, complain. Make dem do go make we see road abeg. We don tire.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by mechanics(m): 5:32pm On Dec 13, 2018
hahahahahah, parade don change.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by loomer: 5:35pm On Dec 13, 2018
madridguy:
He said, “There are problems without a doubt and we must deal with them. But let me remind you, all of the assets that the Ministry of Power used to control for power have been sold by the last administration before I came. And so if you don’t have power, it is not the government’s problem. Let us be honest.

make Una continue to support mediocrity and hypocrisy, na all Una for the country kuku dey suffer the consequences of failed leaders in the country.

when u guys decide to wake up, stand up and fight for bus right then we go see weda the country no go better
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by CrystalMax: 5:36pm On Dec 13, 2018
BluntBoy:

You people are just throwing blames up and down.

Do you even know how many Nigerians are short-changing the distribution companies by using illegal connections and enjoying electricity without paying a dime. And the sad thing is that even some universities and big industries too would be owing electricity bills running into billions of naira.

That is why I tell people that Nigeria's problem is not just a problem of leadership. Change must come from everyone.

Fashola has made efforts, aggressive and passive, to deal with exploitations. Perhaps you are not current. But it is an open secret that the businessmen running the DISCOs don't like Fashola.
Thank you jare brother! Let them keep blaming the wrong person(s).
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by obailala(m): 5:42pm On Dec 13, 2018
daddytime:
But it was the FG's problem when GEJ was the President because solving Nigeria's power lacuna isn't a rocket science (in your own words).

Dem say na where old man from dey till ground dey always soft pass for small pikin eye. E go say papa side soft that's why him dey fast pass me. When you give am papa side na dat time e go come know say block and blokos, difference dey.

aolawale025:
But fashola himself blamed the previous government. So this government deserves blame too. We can not shift the post after a goal
Under the last government, the power assets were still fully owned by the FG so yes, it wasn't out of place to fully blame the government then.

Those assets were sold off by the last government to private companies before Fashola came on board. So right now, Fashola is right about not having the powers, or not being responsible for how the private owners run their business.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by madridguy(m): 5:42pm On Dec 13, 2018
Your point?

loomer:

make Una continue to support mediocrity and hypocrisy, na all Una for the country kuku dey suffer the consequences of failed leaders in the country.

when u guys decide to wake up, stand up and fight for bus right then we go see weda the country no go better
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by mfm04622: 5:45pm On Dec 13, 2018
daddytime:

It was GEJ's problem BEFORE the GENCO and DISCO were privatised. It was not AFTER!
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by MosJ: 5:45pm On Dec 13, 2018
I can't believe these sentences are coming from Fashola shocked
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Gentew(m): 5:46pm On Dec 13, 2018
CrystalMax:

Thank you jare brother! Let them keep blaming the wrong person(s).

Go and rent brain. Thesame person that blamed the previous administration for thesame power issue is now running away from the blame. Please rent brain if you can't buy!!!
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Mojoy88(m): 5:48pm On Dec 13, 2018
When the previous administration was selling NEPA to private owners, we were all smiling not knowing the scam will backfire. The truth must be told, we can't blame the government for power anymore as much as we can't blame the government for Glo poor network. The Gencos, and Discos should be held accountable.

Now, the question we should ask is 'why is so much money still allocated to the power sector by the government?'

2 Likes

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by WaffenSS(m): 5:49pm On Dec 13, 2018
chivic:
OK its my fault.
I have been paying exorbitant estimated Nepa bills and you said its not government fault?May be i should pay more.Nonsence

Nigeria has some of the cheapest utilities
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by WaffenSS(m): 5:50pm On Dec 13, 2018
SIRmanjar:
Ediat angry

Give Nigerians prepaid meter..Simple

...which they're bypassing to steal energy
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by taekwon: 5:53pm On Dec 13, 2018
The same man told us that every reasonable government should be able to provide power for it's citizenry within six months. why the stupid excuse. if you can't effect change then i suppose you should quit the position. FOOLS. Self centered idiots in a zoo country. shocked shocked shocked
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by ImperialYoruba: 5:55pm On Dec 13, 2018
Fash, tell them abeg! grin

You cant privatize and then lean on FG to fix the issue. Who privatized power in the first place. Please dont tell me this was Obasanjo and Atiku's legacy. grin

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by centboy123456(m): 5:56pm On Dec 13, 2018
[quote author=chlorophyll post=73813027]to hell with fashola and fg, I don't need ur power I already have solar and generator in my home

useless pigs[/quote

it work well do u get 24h light
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by CrystalMax: 5:56pm On Dec 13, 2018
Gentew:

Go and rent brain. Thesame person that blamed the previous administration for thesame power issue is now running away from the blame. Please rent brain if you can't buy!!!
It is needless for you to use abusive words on me sir/ma. I have not in any way abused you. I am not Fashola/FG, respect yourself and stop displaying your arrogance on cyberspace. If you disagree with my opinion, come up with your argument and if you cannot present a critical,logical and thoughtful counter against my opinion, at least you should just keep quiet or better still write your own opinion and pass, THOU MAN WITH BRAIN!
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by CrystalMax: 5:57pm On Dec 13, 2018
Mojoy88:
When the previous administration was selling NEPA to private owners, we were all smiling not knowing the scam will backfire. The truth must be told, we can't blame the government for power anymore as much as we can't blame the government for Glo poor network. The Gencos, and Discos should be held accountable.

Now, the question we should ask is 'why is so much money still allocated to the power sector by the government?'
Thank you jare. A well thought comment.

1 Like

Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by loomer: 6:00pm On Dec 13, 2018
madridguy:
Your point?

like I talk, na Una sabi.

na all Una dey suffer am
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Carlyscales: 6:03pm On Dec 13, 2018
post=73812955:
Whose problem is it then?

He said, “There are problems without a doubt and we must deal with them. But let me remind you, all of the assets that the Ministry of Power used to control for power have been sold by the last administration before I came. And so if you don’t have power, it is not the government’s problem. Let us be honest.
Stop propagating fake news that u know nothing about

We know OBJ mismanaged 16 Billion Dollars with this electricity issue.
But, this is why you are in government Mr Fashola, to right the wrong!
Take it back and do the right thing.... and probed and jailed who did any wrong!
Simple!!

Stop propagating fake news its not good for your health!
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by olmoRoc: 6:05pm On Dec 13, 2018
Tecks10:
But oga Fashola, this wasn't what you told us in 2015 oo. Why the sudden turn around?

He's just realized that the reasons giving by Bola Ige, Yar A'dua and Jonathan about the electrical problems in the country weren't fairytale. However, nothing will change until those young Hausa men buying properties in the States and the Middle East with loans obtained by the FG in the guise of executing projects in the country are behind bars. They call themselves the brokers.

@Saharareporters please get behind these criminals.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by jmaine: 6:08pm On Dec 13, 2018
ProAnti:
Fashola is being clever by half, if he truly said this.
The government is still the biggest player in the power sector therefore it can be blamed for the inefficiencies and poor performance.
Government owns 10 power generation plants via NDPHC. In addition it has 100% control in the transmission segment and has about 40% stake in all the distribution companies. Government owns the only bulk electricity trader and off course is in absolute control over NERC, the sector regulator.

These kinds of statements, if truly made by the minister, portrays him in bad light as it reveals a shallow understanding of the sector.

Bravo
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by madridguy(m): 6:10pm On Dec 13, 2018
I see shocked

loomer:

like I talk, na Una sabi.

na all Una dey suffer am
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Grace001: 6:27pm On Dec 13, 2018
There was a country . If you were born in the 80’s and still you havent experienced 24 hours uninterrupted power supply in Nigeria since you were born.

Please forget about witnessing 24hours uninterrupted power supply because it’s not going to happen in your generation anymore maybe next generation.

An avaerage beninesse or Togolese can boast of having 24hours uninterrupted power supply in their country. What a failed country Nigeria is.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Vivapros(m): 6:41pm On Dec 13, 2018
Please can somebody call our Honorable minister to say things with integrity as a Father.but when they want to vie for a post they will be promising heaven on earth but when they win.....super story start from every side of their mouth.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by bolinjkezzy(m): 6:47pm On Dec 13, 2018
MetaPhysical:

The Power Ministry is a regulator. If you scrap it you will end up paying through your nose to get electricity from the providers as there will be no oversight on price gouging....and then you will turn around and blame it on Buhari for scrapping the regulation that kept them in check
You know the problem with Nigeria is that, they privatise company and still dictate to the owner how much to charge for the goods or services. That's whats happening in the petroleum and electricity industry. It can never work.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Nobody: 6:50pm On Dec 13, 2018
of course minister of darkness, FG is only responsible for darkness generation.

I salute you Darth Vader of Nigeria.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by lailo: 6:56pm On Dec 13, 2018
aolawale025:
But fashola himself blamed the previous government. So this government deserves blame too. We can not shift the post after a goal
he blamed them then bcs d government then was in control. And d privatization was even done in a bad faith which is even given d present gov a lot of headache.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by ProAnti: 7:17pm On Dec 13, 2018
obailala:

Under the last government, the power assets were still fully owned by the FG so yes, it wasn't out of place to fully blame the government then.

Those assets were sold off by the last government to private companies before Fashola came on board. So right now, Fashola is right about not having the powers, or not being responsible for how the private owners run their business.

Let's for the sake of argument assume the private owners have been bad managers. What can we say of the government who is not just a part-owner in some of the companies but who in most cases fully own some of the key players?

The issues bedevilling the power sector can be solved by the private sector if and only if they get the backing of the government and the consumers.

We cannot put all the blame on the doorsteps of the private part-owners of the discos (and gencos) as the liquidity and other issues they face are substantial. As @Reference rightly inferred, government agencies and facilities are some of the biggest electricity debtors. I don't expect a disco staff to confidently disconnect a military installation for failing to pay electricity bills.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by lekonso: 7:20pm On Dec 13, 2018
MetaPhysical:

The Power Ministry is a regulator. If you scrap it you will end up paying through your nose to get electricity from the providers as there will be no oversight on price gouging....and then you will turn around and blame it on Buhari for scrapping the regulation that kept them in check

What rubbish is this one talking. They should provide the electricity first and let them determine the price they want to sell. I will only use the one i can afford to pay for. Are we paying through our nose for telephone now? Some telephone users recharge there phones at once with #10000 some with #5000 and some with #100. It depends on what you can afford.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by Preator: 7:23pm On Dec 13, 2018
This guy is an embarrassment. Has he forgotten what he said when they were chasing power? In sensible climes he should have turned in is resignation.

By the way, FG is still the largest player in the power industry.

1. 100% stake in TCN
2. 40% stake in all Gencos and Discos( that's 40% of all the 17 private company.

If the power industry is considered as a single entity, then FG( through the Bureau of Public Enterprise) will be the owner with around 43% of the assets while the others will have 3.3% each.
So what is this man saying?
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by JAWBONE(m): 7:44pm On Dec 13, 2018
What a shameful comment from the minister. I can't believe this man was celebrated as a "progressive" . His stint as minister has really exposed him as incompetent. Even in the most privatised situation , the government still plays the role of a regulator to ensure people are not ripped off. We should complain to businessmen as if those are the people we voted for. It's your job as govt to ensure the best service delivery for the people and FYI if we experience poor network, we complain to NCC, if banking services are poor, the ministry of finance has a huge role to play to improve the situation.
Re: Fashola: It Is Not FG’s Problem If Nigerians Lack Electricity by pwettyeddy(f): 8:05pm On Dec 13, 2018
samfuntua:
A little clarification: Generation and Distribution sections were sold BUT Transmission is still own and control by government 100%

And the major problem is transmission not generation or distribution per se.
Just hand pick already preped members of the audience to ask questions you have the typed answers and you feel you are smart. I laff in benin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Tinubu Has Final Say On Next Lagos Governor — APC / U.S. To Place Visa Restrictions On Individuals Who Undermined Nigeria's Election / Marilyn Ogar, Others Sent On 'Compulsory Retirement'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.