Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,337 members, 7,808,189 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:20 AM

How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out (25238 Views)

Lists Of Figures Of Speech 1 / How Many Figures Of Speech Can You Get Out Of This Picture?? / Figures Of Speech (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Perrruzzzi: 7:31pm On Dec 28, 2018
Haha I'm not good
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by hisexcellency34: 7:31pm On Dec 28, 2018
Who figure of speech epp?
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by martineverest(m): 7:33pm On Dec 28, 2018
lie Mohammed...... homonym
toad's eyes...... metaphor
little sun can see..... personification
eyes and be blind....this is clearly paradox and not oxymoron

heart but dead......fusion of paradox and antithesis

this op should go and learn the difference btw oxymoron and paradox...he is clearly mistaking oxymoron for paradox.paradox clearly dominates

he also failed to add simile to the list
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by highpriestess: 7:34pm On Dec 28, 2018
TheWritingHub:

You got the personification right. But "Michael's toad eyes" is not an oxymoron. �
Hyperbole
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Demex40(m): 7:34pm On Dec 28, 2018
ok
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Nobody: 7:34pm On Dec 28, 2018
Mtchww
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Dayoara: 7:36pm On Dec 28, 2018
Nice write up
TheWritingHub:
In the write-up below, I decided to play with figures of speech.

In it, are different figures of speech (FOG). There are: antithesis, synecdoche, metaphor, metonym, oxymoron, metalepsis, personification, polysemy and homonym.

So can you point these FOGs out from the write-up? Oya, give it a try.

Ukaay: Is there anything bigger than Michael's toad eyes?

Ellikot: Such eyes would be more conspicuous than Lai Mohammed's lies.

Ukaay: You need to lie flatly not to see such.

Ellikot: We know it's possible to have eyes and be blind.

Ukaay: Like having a heart, yet dead.

Ellikot: Even with such eyes, he still gets hurt from kicking the bucket.

Ukaay: He had big eyes and cannot see: yet what we see as the little Sun can see.

Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by GreatAchiever1: 7:36pm On Dec 28, 2018
Ah figures of speech, how I hate thee.
D only figures of speech I can identify anyday,anytime are simile, onomatopoeia, and personification.
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by DannyJ19(m): 7:37pm On Dec 28, 2018
Timil:
As you kon sabi am, shey e on fetch you money?
Omo all these things Na trash.. Na mostly teacher dey use am.
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Zieina(f): 7:41pm On Dec 28, 2018
TheWritingHub:

She's right on 4, for the fact that one sentence can employ more than one figure of speech.

5 is not a similie. The presence of like in the sentence doesn't make it one. It can be an oxymoron, but only if the original figure of speech used is gotten. So it's not necessarily an oxymoron.

6 looks like an euphemism, but it's essentially another figure of speech that employed euphemism to achieve it's aim.

Are you effing kidding me?! "Like and As" are simile.
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by deefem81: 7:42pm On Dec 28, 2018
U are not oxymoron but original slowpoke with no sense!!!

Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by sparkle7: 7:43pm On Dec 28, 2018
Sweetheart666:

1. Metaphor
2.homonym
3.metalepsis
4.oxymoron
5.simile
6.paradox
7.personification
Don't ask how I knew them,I was the best literature student of my set and I currently teach literature.
So much for our Nigerian Albert Einstein. grin
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Demex40(m): 7:43pm On Dec 28, 2018
Answer: Metaphor

Answer: Antithesis,

Answer: Oxymoron, synecdoche

Answer: Metaphor

Ukaay: He had big eyes and cannot see: yet what we see as the little Sun can see.
Answer: Personification
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by pamcode(m): 7:43pm On Dec 28, 2018
TheWritingHub:

In it, are different figures of speech (FOG). There are: antithesis, synecdoche, metaphor, metonym, oxymoron, metalepsis, personification, polysemy and homonym.

Ellikot: Even with such eyes, he still gets hurt from kicking. the bucket.

metaphor.
homonym
No idea
paradox
oxymoron
Idiom.
personification
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by zicoraads: 7:45pm On Dec 28, 2018
Timil:
As you kon sabi am, shey e don fetch you money?

Your own priority is to learn figure of speech my own priority is to make some cash, different strokes for different folks.
Don't take him seriously. He doesn't have an answer too. grin grin

1 Like

Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by femi4: 7:49pm On Dec 28, 2018
1. Ọnọmẹ́ tó pà íyà ẹ̀

2. Simi le

3. Irọ́ni

4. Apá bọ́lẹ̀

5. Pàṣán ni fi kaṣọ

6. Mẹta fọ

3 Likes

Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Biodun556(m): 7:49pm On Dec 28, 2018
TheWritingHub:

Toad eye -metaphor

Than lai mhm lies- hyperbole

You need to lie flatly - hyperbole

Eyes and blind- Oxymoron

Get hurt, kicking the bucket - paradox

Heart yet dead- simile

Sun can see- personification
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by labelle123(f): 7:50pm On Dec 28, 2018
Is possible to have big eyes and be blind- oxymoron
Yet what we see as a little sun can see - personification

Such eyes would be more conspicuous than Lie Mohammed's lies- metonym
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by RexTramadol1: 7:52pm On Dec 28, 2018
RebirthPhoenix:

"little sun can see" is not personification, but "pathetic fallacy".

Lmao!

This one sabi vex
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Odinz(m): 8:01pm On Dec 28, 2018
My guess,

Michael's toad eyes - Metaphor

More conspicuous than Lai Mohammed's lies - Hyperbole

'Lie' flatly - Homonym

We know it's possible to have eyes and be blind - Antithesis

Having a heart, yet dead - Polysemy, metalepsis, 'heart' - metonym

Little sun - Oxymoron

little sun can see - personification
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Bakbillz44(m): 8:04pm On Dec 28, 2018
1. Metaphor
2. Simile (comparison)
7. Personification

I no know the rest
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Triangles1(m): 8:04pm On Dec 28, 2018
Most English teacher are always poor financially, don't know why.
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by iko123: 8:07pm On Dec 28, 2018
Some stupid senior students started smoking since sixteen sixty six. Who can tell me the figure of speech?
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by BIXYBABE: 8:09pm On Dec 28, 2018
Na person wet don eat go crake brain.
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Iykenuwa(m): 8:14pm On Dec 28, 2018
Sweetheart666:

1. Metaphor
2.homonym
3.metalepsis
4.oxymoron
5.simile
6.paradox
7.personification
Don't ask how I knew them,I was the best literature student of my set and I currently teach literature.

Daura Grammar School?
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Focusmind: 8:33pm On Dec 28, 2018
MvpSplendor:
With all the wahalla person for dey face for this Naija, u still have time to call me to check FOG? Figure of Speech ko, Food of Goats ni undecided

Typical Nigerian Youth - always impatient to learn and read
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Ozkar: 8:46pm On Dec 28, 2018
TheWritingHub:

Is there anything bigger than Michael's toad eyes? - Hyperbole

Michael's toad eyes - Metaphor

Such eyes would be more conspicuous than Lai Mohammed's lies. - Assonance

You need to lie flatly not to see such. - Polysemy, Pun

he still gets hurt from kicking the bucket. - Metalepsis

He had big eyes and cannot see. - Irony

He had big eyes and cannot see: yet what we see as the little Sun can see - Consonance, Antithesis.
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Seandisputed(m): 8:54pm On Dec 28, 2018
TheWritingHub:

Lol,..
But you only got 1 and 7 correctly.
Hahaha
Why did you have to disgrace her this way after all her chest beating.
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Sweetheart666(f): 9:02pm On Dec 28, 2018
Iykenuwa:

Daura Grammar School?
okija grama school.
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Nobody: 9:10pm On Dec 28, 2018
[quote author=TheWritingHub post=73865250]In the write-up below, I decided to play with figures of speech.

at least I should be able to get six
1, metaphor
2, metonym
3, homonym
4, antithesis
5, synecdoche
6, polysemy
7, personification
Re: How Good Are You With Figures Of Speech? Try This Out by Robynwelo1(f): 9:11pm On Dec 28, 2018
iko123:
Some stupid senior students started smoking since sixteen sixty six. Who can tell me the figure of speech?

Alliteration.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Are The Books You Read When You Were Young / JP Clark, Achebe & Soyinka At Dodan Barracks In 1986 (Throwback Photo) / The Cheaters (18+)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.