Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,331 members, 7,808,117 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation (7210 Views)

Promises Obi, Tinubu And Atiku Made To The North In Kaduna Today / Nigerians Post Roads In The North In Response To Peter Obi's CNN Statement / APC Governors Consider Zoning Presidency To The North In 2023 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by ShenTeh(m): 5:19pm On Dec 15, 2018
dokyOloye:
Read all of it.
But couldn't make half a sense of what it was about.
The op that put this on FrontPage, did he or she read it?

Agreed. There is complexity in the title aside the academic writing.

The op's dea is that the paucity (scarcity) of northerners in the organized private sector (bluecollar workforce) is due to their lack of passion for bluecollar jobs.

That's all.
Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by gentleibraheem(m): 5:28pm On Dec 15, 2018
These thinkers are very analytic and quite critically objective. I believe virtually in all of their opinion, we need to figure out the reason behind our attitude towards intellectuality and proffer solution for the betterment of Arewa
Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by serikiYCU(m): 5:58pm On Dec 15, 2018
You might not totally comprehend this article until you read Adamu Tilde's write up on facebook.
Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by serikiYCU(m): 6:02pm On Dec 15, 2018
ShenTeh:

Agreed. There is complexity in the title aside the academic writing.

The op's dea is that the paucity (scarcity) of northerners in the organized private sector (bluecollar workforce) is due to their lack of passion for bluecollar jobs.

That's all.

Yeah, but it's not limited to that alone. Lack of the will to relocate to the locations of those particular jobs is also one of the factors.

2 Likes

Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by persius555(m): 6:05pm On Dec 15, 2018
OP, We understand your point. The casing point of the north not been motivated to venture into unchartered academic territories as its regional peers all emanate from its unwillingness to adapt to changes because an average northerner sees education differently from how the southern peer sees it.

To compound this, the encroachment of the military presented an open opportunity for the northern elites to fill up the disparity or academic bridge between the north and the south. Most of the beneficiaries of government appointments got their confirmation not based on merit but through mere selection/appointment by military administrators. Like they say, " You value what you sweat for".

The north is too traditional to be able to quickly solve its immediate academic problem and this has always been a drawback when it comes to competing To to Toe with the south.

A good example is the nomination of chief justice of Nigeria. Between 1958 and 1987, southerners who had reached the very peak of the legal practice been SANs and the rest got to that office by educational excellence and prowess. But between 1987 to 2016, most of those who have held those positions are mostly northerners who have barely been confirmed as SANs. By lowering the bar, this has made the need for the northern folks to compete unnecessary. This has resulted in the fallout we are seeing today.

The north needs to compete on a level playing ground in order to achieve this feat. It can be done in due time.

2 Likes

Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by IMAliyu(m): 6:27pm On Dec 15, 2018
gentleibraheem:
These thinkers are very analytic and quite critically objective. I believe virtually in all of their opinion, we need to figure out the reason behind our attitude towards intellectuality and proffer solution for the betterment of Arewa
Our problem is rooted in our way of thinking.
The rejection of modern academics because it is viewed as "Western" therefore unislamic (which is not true)
And a lack of ambition, but expecting to be successful somehow.
Lastly a lack of will to change or rejection of change.
This is some of the problems I've personally encountered in my area.

1 Like

Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by Ayobami7(m): 6:46pm On Dec 15, 2018
后是冠军
Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 15, 2018
Mehn didn't understand shitt till I read persius555 post.

The guy is an arewa trying to talk to his fellow arewa..

Your people have dominated our force and anywhere the bar is lowered to accommodate your mental capacity often result in a collapse.

Nigeria has collapse all its system to accommodate the large population less intellectual Northerners and the result is not always good..

They should just restructure this country maybe then some people will have to be serious than taking from Peter to pay Paul.

3 Likes

Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by iamdannyfc(m): 7:07pm On Dec 15, 2018
Thank God arewa ppl are waking up, awolowo we will never forget as a tribe
Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by Omololu001: 7:14pm On Dec 15, 2018
Bede2u:
lol...leave them na. Niger delta get labour quota for oil company o. The mumu for talk say na only niger delta and yoruba dey oil company.

If there are chest beaters in this country...they surely come from sw
a lot of you read, but can't understand what you read and make a big fool of yourself when making comments... The guy that wrote the article you read is a northerner.
Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by Dedetwo(m): 1:40am On Dec 16, 2018
mrrights:
North in Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority determines motivation
By Abdulrazaq O Hamzat

In 2014/2015, a highly respected mentor offered me a fortuity to pursue a Master’s degree programme in United Kingdom.

The interesting part of this was that, the mentor did not just want me to pursue a master’s degree in UK; he wanted me to do it in the same institution he attended (University of Buckingham), where he emerged as the best graduating student in his class. He also wanted me to do the same course as him (Global Affairs) so I can possibly advance the reputation of Nigeria in that department.

According to him, he believed am luminous and effulgent enough to excel not only in that institution, but also in the course like he did and having Studied Peace and Conflict Resolution (PCR) in my first degree, I also thought that going for Global Affairs (G.A) as master’s degree concentration in a posh institution like The University of Buckingham isn’t a bad idea. Though, I had my reservation about working or studying abroad.

My mentor wasn’t joking about this, he wanted to single handedly sponsor the entire program and every cost associated with it.

He gave me the institutions website, asked me to send in my application immediately because the admission period is almost elapsing and in the portion that asked about the sponsor, he asked me to put his name.

Before that period, I am one of those who don’t really fancy studying abroad. Apart from when I was in secondary school (Ilorin Grammar School), I have never seen myself going abroad for studies or work. However, having such a mentor who is ready to sponsor your foreign education is too tempting an offer to reject or even question. So I applied at the die minute.

Fortunately or unfortunately, I was informed that the application period had expired before I submitted mine and i had to wait till 6 months’ time to reactivate my application, if i am still interested in the admission.

To make matter worse, they also informed me that they will no longer be offering Global Affairs as course, that it has been replaced with one other course like that, I think ‘’Security and Diplomacy’’. Right there, I made up my mind to do away with the idea of traveling abroad for study. After all, it wasn’t my idea in the first place.

A day after that notification, precisely on 21st January 2015, I reapplied to National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN) for Masters Degree in Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution (PCR).

At the time, a friend had asked me how easy it was for me to move from almost securing admission to travel to UK to suddenly enrolling in NOUN almost immediately; I guess the perspective of Gimba Kakanda on the conversation started by Adamu Tilde answers this question.

Few days ago, a thought provoking piece, concerning the sharp difference between the North and South in the workforce of the country, particularly in the private sector by Adamu Tilde sparked an interesting conversation online. In the publication made on his wall without a title, Adamu Tilde narrated a conversation he had with a mentor, who happens to be a former National Economic Adviser.

According to Adamu’s mentor, ‘’the combined workforce of the major oil companies around amount to roughly ten thousand staff, of which 70% are Yorubas with an average income of fifty million/annum’’. The use of the term Yoruba in Adamu’s piece doesn’t factor in the Yoruba’s in the North central who are also part of this generalization.

Adamu’s mentor had argued that, intellectual laziness of the north is responsible for this disparity and what he described as ‘’our penchant for easy money and rent seeking’’.
However, many did not agree with this perspective.
In adding a twist to the conversation from an insider’s point of view, Suraj Tunji Oyewale listed 4 points he believes to be responsible for the situation and those points include Limited ambition, Limited information, Over selectivity and Lack of hustling spirit.

Suraj clarified that, he doesn’t believe intellectual laziness played any role in this matter. ‘’This is why I really don’t believe an average graduate of southern origin is smarter than a compatriot from the north. The difference is just limited information, ambition and spirit’’ he concluded.

Yesterday, Gimba Kakanda joined the conversation with another perspective that greatly appeals to me. Gimba’s perspective appealed to me because I could personally connect with some of the points he raised.

The question my friend had asked me after my UK application, about how easy it was for me to move from almost securing admission in UK to enrolling in Nigeria can simply be explained by that ‘’sentimental attachment’’. I have become someone who is sentimentally attached to Nigeria and having missed the deadline of my UK admission, I easily switched back to my area of sentiment.

Even though I could have waited for 6 months to re-apply and head for UK, I didn’t think it was worthy to be waiting to apply to a foreign institution, when I could easily secure an admission in Nigeria and considering the fact the course I find attractive has been replaced, there was no motivation to make UK my priority.

After some months, when I eventually told my mentor that I am already running an Msc in Open University, he understood me and wished me luck. Although, I am yet to graduate from this same NOUN since 2015 because I and a colleague were unlawfully expelled in November 2015 for exercising our right to free association and leading the formation of a student association (Congress of NOUN Students), but the matter have been in court ever since and I believe that no matter how long it takes, justice shall be served.

The point I am trying to make here is that, motivation determines priority. While some people , in the process of seeking wealth, recognition and prestige could go anywhere they can get it, irrespective of what they are leaving behind, others on the other hand can only pursue their quest for wealth and achievement, not at the detriment of other things they hold dear.

This is not just about the North, i think it is more about the total life experience of every individual, which include culture, tradition, motivation and priority.

https://mrrightsng..com/2018/12/north-in-nigerias-workforce-priority.html?m=1

One of the major reasons some goons from certain region of Nigeria tend to develop hypertension on the mention of Biafra or disintegration of the shithole called Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: North In Nigeria’s Workforce: Priority Determines Motivation by naijaseeker: 5:55am On Dec 16, 2018
The reason many people from the North are not in blue collar jobs is quota system and that is the fundamental problem with Nigeria.

The operation of quota system in Nigeria discourages merit therefore distorting the system and inhibiting progress. Principally, what quota system is, is, you do not get a job, a promotion, an appointment or any position based on your competence but based on where you are from. The Northerners are therefore not compelled to work hard while the Southerners and NC are disenchanted from working hard because at the end of the day the chances that your hard work will be rewarded is quite low.

However, quota system is mostly administered by politicians therefore what really matters is to know the right people.

The consequence is mediocrity is encouraged, the North is discouraged from working hard and the the S+NC are disenchanted from working hard, in all these the mediocre from every side occupy critical positions and excellence is killed in Nigeria.

Those from the south who wish to insulate themselves from this risk then throw themselves into hard work hoping to get blue caller jobs in or outside Nigeria. A Southerner will hardly miss the opportunity of the OP because his life literally may depend on it. He cannot afford the luxury of sentimental attachment to Nigeria. But the Northerner has at the back of his mind, any degree is enough to give me a job, a directorate job for that matter. Compare Northern and Southern Ministers, Okonjo Iweala/Kemi vs current Zainab Ahmed.

The Northerners are not genetically less intelligent or motivated. However their leaders have cheated them by the continued implementation of a quota system harsh against the south

(1) (2) (Reply)

What Biafrans Are ₦doing To Ndi Aba And No One Is Talking [pictures] / Governor Babajide Sanwo-olu Revalidates His APC Membership / APC Blames Individuals’ Presidential Ambitions For Agitations In Party

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.