Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,139 members, 7,780,069 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 09:13 AM

Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? (25643 Views)

Is Further Mathematics Compulsory To Study Computer Engineering? / Which University In Nigeria Accepts 2.2 For A Direct Masters Programme? / 12 Universities To Choose If From You Want To Study Computer Science (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by slimmjohn(m): 5:43pm On Dec 16, 2018
mogbojaiye:

If only he will not make d mistake his fellow BSc nigerians keep making.

Sometimes I just feel dat my years in d university is a total waste, ,,,,

We Nigerians are just after d name BSC and don't care if they impact on us or not

Nobody fuvking wastes 4years in university any longer except u are going for medical or engineering or law

Take 3 months course and get ur self certified and take more 3 months course again and apply for bank if day kw go collect u sharply

4years way u go waste
U fit learn everything within 2 years
Both programing networking and engineering and change go still remain to attend interview wen BSc holder never even dream to graduate
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm What a word of wisdom from you sir. I have wasted money and resources seeking admission into University but I thank God I didn't hesitate to accept polytechnic admission, now I am an OND holder in computer science preparing for IT now.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by OgogoroFreak(m): 5:47pm On Dec 16, 2018
Halifaxguy:

I don't know about Covenant university. But from what I heard from people it seems that the have a good standard (quality education). But the bitter truth is almost all the federal and state universities don't have the capacity to teach computer science. It's surprising to know that many of the computer science lecturers in Nigeria cannot code in any modern programming languages. Computer science in Nigeria is more theory and old outdated theory/programming language are what you will learn from your lecturers. I studied computer science in Nigeria from one of the Federal university of Technology. But it was a wasted 5 years, because we learned only theory. It was not until I moved to abroad to go back to university to study computer science as undergraduate, even though I have B.tech in computer science(2nd class upper) from Nigeria. I am happy that I was able to humble myself to go back to study comp science again as undergraduate in abroad. I have graduated and currently works as a Full Stack Developer. The summary of my writing is:

If you have the means to study abroad, then move to abroad and study computer science, cos you will learn a lot to become a software developer or web developer.

If you don't have the means, then Covenant university might not be a bad Choice. I guess they are the best in 9ja.

But if you end up in any Federal or State university, all hope is not lost. You can self taught your self by enrolling in online tutorials like Udemy, Lynda, etc.

is it really expensive to study abroad? Would 10m budget cover everything? I need to fly my sisters son abroad to study software engineering and I don't want to spend more than 10m.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:49pm On Dec 16, 2018
slimmjohn:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm What a word of wisdom from you sir. I have wasted money and resources seeking admission into University but I thank God I didn't hesitate to accept polytechnic admission, now I am an OND holder in computer science preparing for IT now.

That's the best plan

I know people who have gone outside dis country and just keep saying hw irrelevant 9ja degree is and if day had know they would have just gone for ND and have some reasonable certification attached

My bro keep strong
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by persius555(m): 5:49pm On Dec 16, 2018
Nigerian university will teach you the basic of general computing. Its a prerequisite if you are to go far in any computing field.

But you will have to get the necessary Brushup to get you going in your career. Every knowledge you acquire will be of relevance someday. Never be confined to the knowledge within the four walls of the university.
As a student of computer science with up to date knowledge, you will stand out among your peers who lack the rudimentary.

As for the university that will ground you well, I suggest covenant university if you can afford it

1 Like

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Pavarottii(m): 5:51pm On Dec 16, 2018
Covenant University...
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Ndlistic(m): 5:51pm On Dec 16, 2018
fortifiedng:
Please which university is best for studying computer science in Nigeria

Unilag
FUTA
University of Nigeria

Please, really need help

Thanks.

MOUAU
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by slimmjohn(m): 5:53pm On Dec 16, 2018
mogbojaiye:

That's the best plan

I know people who have gone outside dis country and just keep saying hw irrelevant 9ja degree is and if day had know they would have just gone for ND and have some reasonable certification attached

My bro keep strong

Thank you so much sir. Meanwhile, I'll like to have a chat with you via whatsapp @08188974303
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Nobody: 5:54pm On Dec 16, 2018
slimmjohn:

Thank you so much sir. Meanwhile, I'll like to have a chat with you via whatsapp @08188974303

No problem I will message u
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by slimmjohn(m): 5:56pm On Dec 16, 2018
mogbojaiye:

No problem I will message u
Thank you sir. #headbow cheesy
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Halifaxguy: 5:58pm On Dec 16, 2018
OgogoroFreak:
is it really expensive to study abroad? Would 10m budget cover everything? I need to fly my sisters son abroad to study software engineering and I don't want to spend more than 10m.

It depends on various factors like the tuition fee of the university, the cost of living in that country, etc. Well 10M might be enough or go a long way depending on the individual involved.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by candelanetworks: 5:58pm On Dec 16, 2018
Heywhizzy:

The best place to study computer science in Nigeria is your home with your laptop or go to any good computer school.. Most Nigerian universities if not all will spend four years teaching you ancient computer languages and what is computer
Computer science is not the same as programming. While programming taught at "any" computer school, computer science is am academic endeavor that is best taught in a university. Programming is just a side piece in computer science. That said, there are resources freely available to learn computer science on the Internet. If you're planning on studying CS in a university though, asides Covenant University, you'd pretty much be wasting four years in a any other university in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Babs91: 6:00pm On Dec 16, 2018
Bros enter LAUTECH.
fortifiedng:
Please which university is best for studying computer science in Nigeria

Unilag
FUTA
University of Nigeria

Please, really need help

Thanks.

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by UTEWUOJO: 6:00pm On Dec 16, 2018
FUTMINNA HAS THE SOLUTION TO YOUR PROBLEM.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by bizhop01: 6:15pm On Dec 16, 2018
No university in nigeria because the still in analog pattern of 1985, try university of toronto in canada you will never regret.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by deleib(m): 6:20pm On Dec 16, 2018
Bibble:
Studying computer science in the university in Nigeria is a waste.. They're not teaching them anything, if not, outdated things. Imagine teaching undergraduates Fortran.. That old language in 2018..

Go to school for something manageable like computer engineering and self learn everything there is about computer science from your buddies in the dept. Then take paid courses online from sites like brilliant, Allison, udemy, skillshare etc.

Ps.. I'm a computer science graduate too
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by oxalistic: 6:22pm On Dec 16, 2018
Ur fears are over @ Federal University Otuoke....
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by ihec(m): 6:29pm On Dec 16, 2018
listen attentively. Do not I repeat do not ever involve Futo in ur list because.
1) Na 5 years you go spend on 4yrs course
2) Na Frustration Under Tension Owerri be the real meaning of FUTO.
3) CSC department for Futo go continue to discourage you.
4) Even IMT and EE students will be regarded more than you.
5) you go do physics and maths so tay only u go run leave the school.
stay off FUTO please
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by tunjijones(m): 6:33pm On Dec 16, 2018
WaleOsu:

I graduated from FUTA CSC too... class 2016
this claim is actually wrong, FUTA CSC lab right now is one of the biggest in the country, and well equipped.
I was expecting the wide known negative - which is outdated teaching methods and lecturers not good enough to teach (but good enough to practise though)

Oga I graduated 2007.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by emmasege: 6:39pm On Dec 16, 2018
haryomikun:
Okay okay. I had to book space to make my first FP in a long while lol

As to the OP's question, I don't know about the quality of computer science in UNN and FUTA but one thing I do know is..... Unilag is located in Yaba, same place where the Andela office is located and yet, Andela picks more OAU students to train than Yabatech and Unilag Students combined. I assume you're looking for options outside those three schools you mentioned, that's why I'm bringing in the OAU option.

I believe OAU is really good at computer science and computer engineering. I can't claim it is the best because I don't know the strength of other schools, but I've related with some of their computer science and comp. engineering students during my visits and those guys are smart!

N.B: Just so you know, OAU is quite boring if you're looking to experience the campus life. Chicks no dey give guys puna well and club + city life is dead there. Just know you'll smoke a lot of weed at Ife and relate with some of the brightest minds the SouthWest has to offer.
I'm really surprised the OP skipped OAU which I think is arguably one of the best, if not the best Nigerian university to study computer science and engineering.

4 Likes

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by frankosivue(m): 6:43pm On Dec 16, 2018
Dannychukz:
i don't know about others oo...but all i will say is DONT, and i repeat DONT go to
"UNIBEN"
But if you want to regret the next 4yrs of your life...you can branch there
if you know you know
4th person discouraging the OP from UNIBEN, why is it Sir? Curious to know.

1 Like

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by menacity(m): 7:06pm On Dec 16, 2018
vezycash:
If you just want the degree - the paper, any secondary school will do, Covenant included.

But if you want to learn programming do any of the ffg:

1. Leave the country and study software engineering cos computer science is mainly mathematics and algorithms. Programming's not the main focus.

2. Babcock - students there sabi and have strong programmer alumni network.

3. Study any crappy simple course that'll give you time to learn programming online.

Someone above mentioned udemy - they are correct. You can also do YouTube or khan academy.

I've got over 6,000 udemy courses. I gave a nairalander 20+ data science courses for 5k just last week. If you want yours pm me. Or email me at my nairaland user name @live.com

Ok I will like to get it
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Dannychukz(m): 7:11pm On Dec 16, 2018
frankosivue:
4th person discouraging the OP from UNIBEN, why is it Sir? Curious to know.

it's one of the worst departments there,they don't even have a department building they can boldly call theirs,talk more of a lecture theatre...they are like sheep without shepherd ...they just roam the school..the bright ones learn what they ought to learn by studying online,some switch to G others dropout..
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Almunjid(m): 7:22pm On Dec 16, 2018
hisexcellency34:
Federal University, Kashere, Gombe State. The number one university in Nigeria
That is according to the ranking of the best universities in Nigeria done by sarkin fulanin Gombe in ur dream! wake up and smell the coffee!. Lol
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by JusticeSeeker: 7:26pm On Dec 16, 2018
Go to Covenant University period.

2 Likes

Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by deleib(m): 7:28pm On Dec 16, 2018
cornelin:
Why not try an app called sololearn. You can check it out on play store. It is very nice coding app where you can learn multiple languages at your own pace coupled with the vast number of experts that you can interact with and gain more. I'm currently learning how to code from there.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by WaleOsu(m): 7:32pm On Dec 16, 2018
tunjijones:

Oga I graduated 2007.
that is the more reason why your claim isn't true!
you still describe the deparment like it was when CSC departmental offices and lab were in SAAT building.
stay updated sir!
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by Nobody: 7:35pm On Dec 16, 2018
None, go learn it from Udemy and YouTube. Don't waste 4 years of your precious life for nothing. Except you travel abroad to study it.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by johnmario50(m): 7:39pm On Dec 16, 2018
National Open University of Nigeria
(NOUN)
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by ehardetola(m): 7:40pm On Dec 16, 2018
NOUN
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by simplebb: 7:49pm On Dec 16, 2018
tunjijones:

Oga I graduated 2007.

Long time ago sir.

As an engineering student at FUTA, I did programming in 100/200level and used the school facilities and it was top notch.

Some of my mates now work at Andela and a host of IT firms as they went on to built on that knowledge even though they weren't CSC students.

In case you don't know, the school now has school of Computing and has introduced several IT courses like Software Engineering, ICT etc. As a matter of fact, the school just opened a Tech Hub called the Akure Tech Hub, it was launched by the state governor, thoroughly furnished and open to the use of the general society.

I know few colleagues that we finished together back then that studied CSC and they are very sound in IT applications and doing very well in the field now.

To the Op, if you are financially buoyant just travel overseas for your study.

If not, you can choose FUTA, OAU or FUTO.
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by LastDays777: 7:49pm On Dec 16, 2018
Heywhizzy:

The best place to study computer science in Nigeria is your home with your laptop or go to any good computer school.. Most Nigerian universities if not all will spend four years teaching you ancient computer languages and what is computer

As a computer scientist myself, this is true
Re: Which University Is Best To Study Computer Science In Nigeria? by RALPHOW(m): 7:59pm On Dec 16, 2018
COVENANT University if you can afford it!!
As an IT Expert , I interviewed IT graduate/ Corpers from other schools and can not compare them with even non IT graduates from CU.

4 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Janet Kyeme, Lokoja University Student Goes Missing After Leaving For Lectures / Professor James Olomo Of OAU-Ife Is Missing / Senate Asks JAMB To Extend Validity Of Results To 3 Years

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.