Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,186 members, 7,807,628 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 04:31 PM

Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. - Properties (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (38446 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / Ghana Landlady Gives Female Nigerian Student Quit Notice Over Noise During Sex / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by KingThreatzz: 9:28am On Dec 16, 2018
This should be illegal. Cocksucka wants you to pay another agent/agreement fee. Lawyers in the house please
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Hector09(m): 9:29am On Dec 16, 2018
If u ve the resources to look for a better apartment, just vacate his house for him, person wey die na they talk

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by olaben16: 9:29am On Dec 16, 2018
tayo4ng:
just move your things out of his house simple

Thanks, moving out is not really a big deal, but you know the logistics involved in moving to a new apartment in Lagos, unprepared?

Moving entails budgeting.

So giving me just 2months after my rent to sort it out is my major concern

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 9:29am On Dec 16, 2018
Honestly this yearly rent has to stop.
Why must people pay rent yearly?

And the govt is busy chasing awufu money cry

What concerns the masses don't bother them as usual

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by udemzyudex(m): 9:29am On Dec 16, 2018
If he gives you quit notice asking you to evacuate within 2 months of expiry date, you too get a lawyer and serve him your own notice stating the law to him..

Some of this landlord always think they God and if you don't challenge them back they will always take you for a ride.

If you pay every 6 months, you're entitled to 3 months notice and if you pay every year, you're entitled to 6 months.

You just have to let him know with your notice too, so he will know he is not dealing with someone he can just push around.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Realdeals(m): 9:30am On Dec 16, 2018
To be candid, he is fair. Truly, the law stipulate 6 month notice if you pay on an annual basis.
From your explanation he gave you two month after your rent might have expired in April 2019, all together is still 6 month.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 9:31am On Dec 16, 2018
Magalan:
Since you are a good tenant, move on with your life.. serve him a letter in June 2019, move out in Dec 2019 or you can request for another 2mths legally, thats Feb 2020. dont argue or threaten, when he breaks into your apartment is when the real war starts. You charge him for robbery.

Some Landlords behave as if it's not this same country we are all in.

If is me dat is d landlord I will remove my doors in your apartment since u wan claim smart, ,,,,,,u forget say 9ja na lawless country?

3 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by udemzyudex(m): 9:32am On Dec 16, 2018
Which means you have till October to plan yourself and move out, that was how one mumu landlord gave my dad 1 month to pack out, I was just laughing, my dad went to lawyer, got his own letter and gave it to him, you need to see the way he was ranting grin grin.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nlearn: 9:32am On Dec 16, 2018
Just Make Plans To Move Your Things Out Of His House
If You Can Pay Ur Rents For Years Without Ownin Him

You Can Rent Another Apartment

Am A Tenant And Also A Landlord

You will Understand More when you have ur own Properties

Yes The Landlord In This Case. Is Wrong

But u should not follow suit

Maybe God Is Preparing You For A Better Place.. even when u think that where u are is the best

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by olaben16: 9:33am On Dec 16, 2018
Lilshorecords:
Guy pack comot. Shey na u build house for am?

Thanks, moving out is not really a big deal, but you know the logistics involved in moving to a new apartment in Lagos, unprepared?

So giving me just 2months after my rent to sort it out is my major concern.

I can't drag his own house with him.

But I just think if I pay my rent yearly and as when due, then I shouldn't be put under Durex to move out.

I might be wrong though, that's why I sought for advice, so that I don't take the wrong step.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Jahwinaboy(m): 9:33am On Dec 16, 2018
Icantalk:

When does your rent expire?
U no read the write up?

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Gossiplover: 9:33am On Dec 16, 2018
nawa oo
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by udemzyudex(m): 9:33am On Dec 16, 2018
Realdeals:
To be candid, he is fair. Truly, the law stipulate 6 month notice if you pay on an annual basis.
From your explanation he gave you two month after your rent might have expired in April 2019, all together is still 6 month.

His rent will expire in April Oga, after April you add 6 months, that's it.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by penta(m): 9:34am On Dec 16, 2018
Better meet him and explain your situation, how you pay rent and other fees promptly, that you don't fight anyone in the compound and you do maintenance. After beg him (every landlord have ego and want tenant to come to their knees sometime). After all these and he still refuse to concur with you. Start to prepare to leave, and if he fail to change his mind. Just raise fund and move on.

Always plan to get your own house ASAP, the planning only is motivating.

4 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Reference(m): 9:35am On Dec 16, 2018
People looking for long term stability in a short term economy. If things were right you should be paying your rent to a mortgage institution while living in your own home. This huge investment opportunity we are already working on and on a few years we will have the capacity to formally launch.

2 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by helium2: 9:35am On Dec 16, 2018
He has to give you 6 months notice after the expiration of your rent which you will pay for?

If you can find somewhere else within the 2 months period please do and leave his house for him.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Magalan: 9:36am On Dec 16, 2018
mogbojaiye:

If is me dat is d landlord I will remove my doors in your apartment since u wan claim smart, ,,,,,,u forget say 9ja na lawless country?

My rent includes your door, that is breach of contract.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by flexshop(m): 9:36am On Dec 16, 2018
Nlearn:
Just Make Plans To Move Your Things Out Of His House
If You Can Pay Ur Rents For Years Without Ownin Him

You Can Rent Another Apartment

Am A Tenant And Also A Landlord

You will Understand More when you have ur own Properties

Yes The Landlord In This Case. Is Wrong

But u should not follow suit

Maybe God Is Preparing You For A Better Place.. even when u think that where u are is the best

The landlord is actually right.

He gave the stipulated 6 months notice. The most he can get is an extra 7 days unless he has some claims to repairs done if there is a clause in the rent agreement stipulating landlord does repairs

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Jahwinaboy(m): 9:36am On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:

But I just think if I pay my rent yearly and as when due, then I shouldn't be put under Durex to move out.

I might be wrong though, that's why I sought for advice, so that I don't take the wrong step.
This is Nigeria. Try and lobby him to see if he can favour u. U still have 6-9 months to start looking for new house

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by millionboi2: 9:36am On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:

Is that what I should do

You just made me laugh though!!!
Go build your own house na
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 9:37am On Dec 16, 2018
You Said "That we should pack out two months after expiration of our various rent." My brother that Landlord loves you guys. In Port Harcourt Landlord can ask you pack out of his house even before your house expires. Just pack your things out without making problems or Case with him. You may Lose the Case and your money and Time

4 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Kasco04: 9:37am On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:
Good morning Nairalanders.
Please help a fellow with an advice this morning.

So, two weeks ago my landlord came to the compound, and said the caretaker who was handling the building for him was no longer in charge that they have parted ways.

Then we all complained of the state of affairs between tenants and how only some of us have been shouldering the responsibilities of repairs, and others are never contributing.

For the records, there are only four flats, two up and two down.

In his response, he said he was disappointed that we were not cooperating as neighbors.

Without proffering any solution, he left only for him to come this morning with quit notice for all for tenants.

That we should pack out two months after expiration of our various rent.

Now it should be noted that I have never owned him rent, and we pay yearly.

My current rent will expire April 30th 2019.

Now my question is this.

Is that how quit notices are served?

Is it right to give a tenant that pays yearly rent just two months to pack out?

I have never been involved with this landlord/tenant wahala, so don't know the best action to take.

Please legal people in the house, I need your advice.

Your advice will be very helpful in my next line of action.

God bless you all.

Help a brother by pushing it for me.

Since the notice was served with intention to renovate or otherwise and he has done well to notified you guys earlier, I will advice you to be honourable to quit the apartments as resulting into trouble to solves issues are not the best way but the ideal things to do is to give 6 months notice upon expiration of your current rent.
You may buy atleast 6 months time after expiration of your rent but start looking for alternative incase the embarrassment can't be taken and prepare your minds for Agency, Legal and Caution fee brother.

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by bixton(m): 9:37am On Dec 16, 2018
There'll be no need for you to make trouble with your landlord. There are better things you can do with your time.
From your statement it seems you have time to look for an alternative place. Except you mean to say there ought to be some refund you're entitled from your landlord due to repairs you made.
Though it might be some form of stress moving out but believe me it will save you a lot of things.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 16, 2018
udemzyudex:
If he gives you quit notice asking you to evacuate within 2 months of expiry date, you too get a lawyer and serve him your own notice stating the law to him..

Some of this landlord always think they God and if you don't challenge them back they will always take you for a rude.

If you pay every 6 months, you're entitled to 3 months notice and if you pay every year, you're entitled to 6 months.

You just have to let him know with your notice too, so he will know he is not dealing with someone he can just push around.

But from now till his rent expires is Four months plus two months that's Six months already, the landlord is a smart man, he would floor the Op in court, moreover 6 months is enough to find a good alternative I have a feeling that the house is very OK and comfortable for the Op but at the same time he sounds like a peace loving person, so Op move on after the expiration, God got you. Cheers

8 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Realdeals(m): 9:38am On Dec 16, 2018
udemzyudex:

His rent will expire in April Oga, after April you add 6 months, that's it.
Quit notice do not necessarily have to come at the period the rent expires, it can be served anytime, it only had to adhere to the stipulated time frame.

7 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Kooldon(f): 9:38am On Dec 16, 2018
When you have more than 6mnths to get a new apartment, then why are you stressing yourself?
Simply ask us to contribute money for your rent.
Some ITK tenant sef.

4 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by orebantu: 9:39am On Dec 16, 2018
In the absence of any express written agreement governing your tenancy, you are a yearly tenant and you are entitled to statutory notice of 6 months notice. Any notice short of that is not valide....so the notice served on you i void ad initio ....
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by AngelicBeing: 9:39am On Dec 16, 2018
If you are buoyant, look at the whole situation as a blessing in disguise, look at different areas around lagos / towards ibadan expressway / Badagry / Lusada / Atan / igbesa areas, go and buy a cheap quater, half or full plot and plan to erect a room and parlour self contain apartment and you would have put an end to tenancy bondage, you will be a house owner and from there you can also develope your land and also rent it out to tenant.

That was how l started decades ago before I left Nigeria,l had my personal house, l also developed other lands l have, built on it and rented it out to tenants, thank me later cool

7 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by penta(m): 9:39am On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:

Durex ko, Condomm ni grin

4 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Blackfire(m): 9:40am On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:
Good morning Nairalanders.
Please help a fellow with an advice this morning.

So, two weeks ago my landlord came to the compound, and said the caretaker who was handling the building for him was no longer in charge that they have parted ways.

Then we all complained of the state of affairs between tenants and how only some of us have been shouldering the responsibilities of repairs, and others are never contributing.

For the records, there are only four flats, two up and two down.

In his response, he said he was disappointed that we were not cooperating as neighbors.

Without proffering any solution, he left only for him to come this morning with quit notice for all for tenants.

That we should pack out two months after expiration of our various rent.

Now it should be noted that I have never owned him rent, and we pay yearly.

My current rent will expire April 30th 2019.

Now my question is this.

Is that how quit notices are served?

Is it right to give a tenant that pays yearly rent just two months to pack out?

I have never been involved with this landlord/tenant wahala, so don't know the best action to take.

Please legal people in the house, I need your advice.

Your advice will be very helpful in my next line of action.

God bless you all.

Help a brother by pushing it for me.

The first thing is not to panic.... Can you do that?

Now this is my advise, at the expiration of your rent, go and meet him for renewal, if he refused and ask you to park out...

Like I said don't panic..

He will have to bring a note from the court...
If he does that be sure to live in that house for 8months without paying rent...

Can you act?
When you go to court , act like an orphan ,play the victim...

Thank me later

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Investing In Properties For Rent (a Case Study Of Single Rooms) / IGP Usman Baba At Ikoyi Collapsed Building Site / Lawrenco Antonio Cardoso Family Takes Possession Of Apapa Land With 300 Houses

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.