Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,015 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:28 AM

Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. - Properties (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. (38451 Views)

My Landlady Just Brought A Quit Notice To Me Out Of The Blue! / Ghana Landlady Gives Female Nigerian Student Quit Notice Over Noise During Sex / Will A Tenant Pay During His 3 Or 6 Months Quit Notice? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by bigtt76(f): 11:58am On Dec 16, 2018
He should plead with the landlord rather than telling him outright he doesn't want to leave his house.

I would prefer he (tenant) starts making preparations to leave if the landlord rejects his plea rather than fight back undecided

buzorcharles:
Meet with him privately and show him ur evidence of punctual payments be cos that what every landlord pray to get in a tenant. And tell him u are not ready to leave his apartment. If he insist then tell him no problem and do what MAGALAN advices.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 11:59am On Dec 16, 2018
Newboss:

You're even lucky to have yearly rent angry

Monthly rent only benefits the landlords because they're sure of inflow every month without lifting a pin, while you're on a very short leash of 30 days to becoming homelessangry

I see people paying monthly, and I know why people go into robbery angry If they miss a paycheck, their asses are landing on the street in few days angry
I pay weekly and that is how the system has been where I am for years. Good planning and spending.
And landlords don't just tell you to quit just like that unless you are disobeying tenancy agreements or the house is sold or due for renovation in which case you will be duly compensated.

Just last 3 months, the housing company responsible for the house I live in wrote to the tenants that they will do renovation so they gave 6 months for tenants to prepare themselves with added bonuses.
If u still want to live in one of their houses, they will help you to look for ur desired choice.
In my case, they helped me get a house,paid for the moving, supplied cartons for packing and gave me monetary compensation for inconvenience and furnishing. The money equals few millions if its changed in naira. The 6 months given is yet to elapse.
And with all the sorry in this world.
I actually wanted to do the naija thing by looking for a house( have already started looking already) and moving out but they wrote and said that they will take responsibility for their action as you don't just tell a tenant to quit.
At the end of the day, my big gain kiss
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by kay4kay: 12:00pm On Dec 16, 2018
visijo:
Before getting serious with a girl take her to the club and see how many guys know her... If the bouncer hugs her..
Abort mission....
I repeat... Abort mission

Confirmed
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Mizwisdom(f): 12:01pm On Dec 16, 2018
Badb0y4lyf:

She’s this MFM churchy kinda woman , my problem is a do’s and don’t are too much. We started having prolem when I first moved in and started closing the main at 10.30pm she said she wrote it in her agreement so I had to adjust to that timing cos I’m a chilling guy later I can’t wash my car in the compost my friend can’t come to visit she be thinking Dey wanna come rob and spying on her I cant even talk or play music she complains and it was too much so we didn’t really get along I can’t beg her cos right now we don’t talk I don’t greet her I just need a way to circumvent this and me not being on the losing end.

Did you read the agreement before signing? If you didn't and she's right about the inclusion of specific time then you're at fault, you ought to have apologized, explain yourself and still volunteer to always lock gate after she agrees based on existing understanding. Second issue, If she lives in the property her security is important to her, therefore if she notice you gat some suspicious looking friends, she has to raise alarm which you can curtail by asking your friends to reduce noise and other nuisance exhibition, you don't need to play loud music that disturb others peace after all it's for your listening pleasure not theirs. I can't find fault with her, either you move out after the duration of your rent or proceed to court when time reaches.

2 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Boyooosa(m): 12:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
Lordsocrates:

Might be the best way to celebrate sunday for him...
I think he should also wish you the same...
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by INDUSTRIALFAN(m): 12:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
udemzyudex:

The op said his rent will expire in April 2019.
the law does Not say the rent must expire first. The 6 no thanks notice is there for the fact that it takes a lot of time to find a new place. In this case, the landlord has told them 6 months ahead he wouldn't just act without legal advice trust me on this. He definitely has had the law broken down to him by his lawyer and advised.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Newboss(m): 12:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
udemzyudex:

Wait read your post again, let's assume the landlord didn't give him any quit notice, when will he pay the next rent? Is it not after his rent expires which is April?

It's people like you landlords push around and threatened with quit notice.

Like I said, unless he is willing to refund the rent for the remaining months so he will join it with money he has to rent another apartment, he has to stay there till his rent expires then use is 6 months.

You say he will floor the op in court? Funny, i just hope it doesn't get to that but if it doesn't, the landlord will cry.

Guy, this is what quit notice means:

"Dear tenant, this is to inform you that you should start making arrangement to move to another house starting from today till *date* (when your current rent must have expired, and the date in question should be at least six months from today). You can no longer renew your rent on this property"

If you're on a yearly rent, the best time for the landlord to issue a quit notice is at the sixth month of your rent so that you can start making arrangement for another place, knowing that you cannot renew your rent by the time it expires angry

In that case, you're not taken unawares. angry You also get to llive out your rent angry

But if the landlord gives the notice by the 11th month of your rent, then he MUST give an extra 5 months (yeah, a very stupid landlord gets to pay for being dumb) angry

The bottom line is that you must see out your rent, and must have at least six months to the deadline. angry The deadline ideally should be EXACTLY when your rent expires, if the landlord is smart at all. Meaning the quit notice SHOULD be served six months before your rent expires if the landlord doesn't want to dash you free time. angry

The landlord in this thread actually dashed the guy 2 months to make it up to six months to the deadline angry

2 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by udemzyudex(m): 12:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
dgee1:

Again, without trying to be a tribal bigot, I'm not really surprised with all your comments on this thread. I've had encounters with people from your part of the country and know their psyche when it comes to landlord/tenant issues.

Funny enough these are the people that lord it over their landlords where they live and go out and sell fake drugs, shoes, electronics, just about anything. And when you detect it is fake and try to return their merchandise, hell will break loose. In these cases they are not wicked, only landlords taking authority over his property are wicked.

Oga stop using the word tribal bigot and go straight to your point, if you have nothing to say stop disturbing my mention.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by udemzyudex(m): 12:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
WarriAproko:
no law stated u will live in that house free for 6months. My younger brother is a legal practitional. He dun handle all this type of battle before and won. On the landlord side

Ok sir.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by pedrilo: 12:05pm On Dec 16, 2018
MrPresident1:
Why do you pay yearly rent in Nigeria? That's criminal and fraudulent. In Nairobi, we pay monthly!
Nigerians generally have poor credit behaviour.
House owners will have to fight every month to collect rent.

2 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by RELEASEUS: 12:06pm On Dec 16, 2018
Why will you need advice on your next line of action? You are a gentleman who doesn't make trouble I can guess. You ve till April from your outstanding, then another 2 months, why not dialogue in a gentle way albeit privately with the man, he might excuse you, but if not simply relocate.
You might go to court and elongate the notice period but have count the resultant effect? The economic implication of court case, and worse of all make enemies unnecessarily. This world is dangerous now o. Be wise.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by miraclea: 12:09pm On Dec 16, 2018
When you people decides to become super lord's in another man compound looking for trouble telling the landlord to his face the type of nonsense house he's build and does not deserve to earn rent and you fears nobody except God now landlord vex ure looking for miracles on Nairaland (apologies to sm good tenant)
Those who advice you to go to court don't like you the court will not dash you another man house
The Fashola law only gives you 7days
You will pay for all days you live in that house unless the landlord doesn't know his right
Dats the position of the law if you like hire the best SAN
Get another place move forward with your life and remember not to abuse your new tenancy

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Zico5(m): 12:12pm On Dec 16, 2018
ok
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by dgee1(m): 12:12pm On Dec 16, 2018
udemzyudex:

Oga stop using the word tribal bigot and go straight to your point, if you have nothing to say stop disturbing my mention.

That is because I'm not a TRIBAL BIGOT and do not intend to be one lol

As I said, go and educate yourself about the laws guiding landlord/tenant issues.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by WIZDOM081(m): 12:13pm On Dec 16, 2018
MrPresident1:
Why do you pay yearly rent in Nigeria? That's criminal and fraudulent. In Nairobi, we pay monthly!

So, also the same in Cote d'ivoire
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by udemzyudex(m): 12:13pm On Dec 16, 2018
dgee1:

That is because I'm not a TRIBAL BIGOT and do not intend to be one lol

As I said, go and educate yourself about the laws guiding landlord/tenant issues.

You need rest.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 12:14pm On Dec 16, 2018
Magalan:
Since you are a good tenant, move on with your life.. serve him a letter in June 2019, move out in Dec 2019 or you can request for another 2mths legally, thats Feb 2020. dont argue or threaten, when he breaks into your apartment is when the real war starts. You charge him for robbery.

Some Landlords behave as if it's not this same country we are all in.
Mmm...
so what would you Advice me then?

2 of my tenants have been living in one of my properties for nearly 2 years without paying Any rent,

Just because i don't live in Nigeria. look! a landlord can decide to evict all his tenants without having to give a reasons, it's his property afterall!!

As long as he gives enough Eviction Notice, And 2 months happens to be Enough notice.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Badb0y4lyf(m): 12:16pm On Dec 16, 2018
Mizwisdom:

Did you read the agreement before signing? If you didn't and she's right about the inclusion of specific time then you're at fault, you ought to have apologized, explain yourself and still volunteer to always lock gate after she agrees based on existing understanding. Second issue, If she lives in the property her security is important to her, therefore if she notice you gat some suspicious looking friends, she has to raise alarm which you can curtail by asking your friends to reduce noise and other nuisance exhibition, you don't need to play loud music that disturb others peace after all it's for your listening pleasure not theirs. I can't find fault with her, either you move out after the duration of your rent or proceed to court when time reaches.

I didn’t beg to get a house I payed rented if I’m at fault I accept if I agree to move out before the said 6month under a week will my remaining 6 month rent be paid back to me cos I don tire for the house self
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by musa7m(m): 12:17pm On Dec 16, 2018
Magalan:
Since you are a good tenant, move on with your life.. serve him a letter in June 2019, move out in Dec 2019 or you can request for another 2mths legally, thats Feb 2020. dont argue or threaten, when he breaks into your apartment is when the real war starts. You charge him for robbery.

Some Landlords behave as if it's not this same country we are all in.
if you are a landlord.....You go happy if dem do you what you said above ...... and go build your house .....put tenants and 4 or 5 year time ....come back and tell us how far
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Evangkatsoulis: 12:19pm On Dec 16, 2018
MrPresident1:

Fraud by landlord or tenant?
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by excanny: 12:20pm On Dec 16, 2018
Your landlord is within his rights. You can use next weekend to start looking for another house.

Pls don't be tempted to start begging your landlord. Not dignifying at all.

Just damn him move out even before the time.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by savvyiwo: 12:21pm On Dec 16, 2018
You have 2 months to leave at the expiration of your rent? Between now and April plus 2 months is good enough, get an alternative accommodation.
You can apply for extra 1 month but work with what you have.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by musa7m(m): 12:22pm On Dec 16, 2018
olaben16:

Thank you very much, I won't make trouble at all with him.

But are you saying I should wait till June before I serve him?

Thanks again sir.
that money you go use fine beta house and you go use dey go court ......at last go stil pack .....use your head reason .....Be4 you act

2 Likes

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by dynamic007(m): 12:22pm On Dec 16, 2018
Your rent expires April 2019 and according to you, your landlord says he expects you to move out by June 2019 latest. I don't know what else you want! He has given you a very reasonable time period but you are coming here to complain like he is treating you unfairly. It is his property and he can eject whoever he likes for whatever reasons as long as he gives a sufficient notice period. I suggest you begin looking for another accommodation, you have enough time.

1 Like

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 12:22pm On Dec 16, 2018
SmilingMary:
Smart landlord, legally he's got u by the balls.... Just start looking for a new accommodation. Don't bother going to court.

Are u well?
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 12:23pm On Dec 16, 2018
[quote author=quickberry post=73889809][/quote]

OMG.

What is the relationship between this useless thug u said and the thing on ground? Gosh, Nigerians.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Originalsly: 12:23pm On Dec 16, 2018
Lordsocrates provided the legal framework. Is the notice valid?.... time is not the only factor to determine if the notice is valid. Like someone said...you can work out something with him one on one...maybe he really wants the other tenants out .Try that route...if the notice is not valid...just don't let him know until the time comes...then he will have to start all over again or come to some agreement with you. Not because he owns the house he can do as he pleases.... his actions are regulated as soon as he decided to rent.
And do help me understand this thing about tenants undertaking repairs....that is the responsibility if the landlord period.
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Nobody: 12:24pm On Dec 16, 2018
The landlord has Every right to Evict his tenants without Any reasons what so ever, as long as he gives Enough eviction notice, which in this case 2 months is A good Enough Notice.
it doesn't matter if you are a regular rent payer. just look for Another property and move the heck!! out!

It is his house After all!! grin

you know? one of my tenants refused to move after i gave him notice, i said to him, okay!!! i will let him move when he want, i am not going to collect any rent, he can live for free as long as he wishes.

After few weeks even before the 2 months notice i gave him, he moved. grin He should have stayed in my hard earned property and see, i would have used his destiny, his children destinies and his grandchildren destinies. grin grin
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by SmilingMary(m): 12:24pm On Dec 16, 2018
PrecisionFx:

Am I well?

I'm quite sure you are not

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by quickberry3(m): 12:27pm On Dec 16, 2018
PrecisionFx:

OMG.

What is the relationship between this useless thug u said and the thing on ground? Gosh, Nigerians.

Go and ask your useless father and mother who refused to give you proper home training
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Lilshorecords(m): 12:29pm On Dec 16, 2018
nwanneni:
you are very stupid.no offense
you are very stupid too
Re: Legal Advice Needed, My Landlord Just Brought Quit Notice For All Tenants. by Lilshorecords(m): 12:31pm On Dec 16, 2018
MzTunechi:
grin grin grin grin i was gonna say this but i don't wanna sound rude and cruel
lol

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (13) (Reply)

Lawrenco Antonio Cardoso Family Takes Possession Of Apapa Land With 300 Houses / Construction Of 5 Bedroom Duplex And a 4 Bedroom Bungalow in Imo State. / Destiny’s Shop: Angry Landlord Destroys Tenant’s Salon Over Unpaid Rent In Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.