Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,972 members, 7,806,813 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:43 AM

John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family (39981 Views)

John Mikel Obi Retires From Football / John Mikel Obi Returns To Training Ahead Of Clash Against South Africa / John Mikel Obi Playing With His Twin Daughters (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Sammydanny: 12:58pm On Dec 18, 2018
It’s been said that Nigerians are so industrious that they can be found in almost every country in the world. In these countries, they have come to hold quite important roles in their different spheres of lives. Football is definitely not left out in this as several Nigerians have dominated and are still dominating popularly clubs. John Michael Nchekwube Obinna popularly known as Mikel Obi is one of such gifted Nigerian stars.

BIOGRAPHY (AGE)

Mikel was born in Jos, a Middle Belt city of Nigeria on Wednesday, April 22nd, 1987. He had his primary school education at Jos Metropolis Township primary School where he found his passion for kicking balls. At age 12, his skills appealed to scouts and he was selected by the Pepsi football academy, one of the best in Nigeria. His first official team was the Plateau United.

Mikel joined the U-17 team of Nigeria and participated in the FIFA World Championship hosted by Finland. When the names of players were sent by NFA (Nigerian Football Association) to FIFA, Michael’s name was wrongly spelled as Mikel. This led to his accepting the name as his football name. His amazing skills at the tournament saw him joining Lyn Football, a club based in Oslo, Norway. He played on the team for two years (2004- 2006) and made 6 appearances scoring 1 goal.

In 2005, Mikel Obi was chosen on the squad to represent Nigeria in the FIFA World Youth Championship. The team had an excellent run and got to the finals where the lost by 1 goal to the Argentinean team (2-1). Messi, who led Argentine, was made the best player of the tournament while Mikel Obi was placed at second best and made African Player of the year, a crown he retained in 2006.

After a controversy surrounding his move to Manchester United from Lyn, Obi joined Chelsea F.C. in 2006 and obtained a work permit in June. The controversy, which dragged into months, was only resolved when Chelsea offered Man. U. a settlement of £12 million and Lyn £4 million.

Obi’s first outing for Chelsea was in the 2006 UEFA Champions League match with Levski Sofia, a Bulgarian team. In the 11 seasons, he stayed with the London club, the defensive midfielder scored 6 goals in 374 appearances. The club also won nine trophies during the period including the 2011- 2012 UEFA Champions League title and the 2012- 2013 UEFA Europa League title. In 2007 and 2008, he was named Chelsea Young Player of the year.

In January 2017, Mikel moved to Tianjin TEDA, a Chinese club, following Chelsea’s refusal to renew his contract. He has scored 2 goals so far for the club.

John Mikel Obi has continued to play for Nigeria representing them in several friendlies and competitions. These include the 2005 friendly against Libya, the Africa Nations Cup in 2008 & 2013 and the 2016 Olympics (as captain).

FAMILY
Mikel Obi is from Nigeria. His dad, Michael Obi (after whom he is named) is from the Eastern part of Nigeria as well as his mom. They lived in Jos in Plateau state Nigeria and it was there they had Mikel. Michael was a civil servant and upon retirement, runs a transport company. In August 2011 and during the 2018 World Cup, Mr. Michael was kidnapped in Nigeria but released on both occasions. His mom, Irosu Obi is a businesswoman.

Ebere Obi and Patrick Obi are Mikel’s elder and younger brothers respectively. Ebere Obi is with Heartland as a goalkeeper while Patrick popularly called Edgar Obi is a musician with MMM Records.

Mikel has twin daughters, Ava and Mia Obi with his wife/partner, Olga Diyachenko whom he met in 2013. Olga, a Russian businesswoman, gave birth to the girls in September 2015. Mikel reportedly has two other kids with two other women, a 4-year-old daughter, and a 7-year-old son.

The exceptional football player is currently on a season break and is enjoying the time with Olga and his twin daughters. They made a stop in Nigeria where he laid down plans for a football program. They moved on to the Maldives and pictures of them having fun have flooded the net. Mikel hopes to continue his holiday till the resumption of the league in China next year, 2019.

SALARY AND NET WORTH

In Chelsea, John Michael Obi’s weekly basic pay was reportedly about £82,000. He is said to earn even more in Tianjin TEDA F.C., up to a tune of £140,000. He is said to be worth over £30 million.

Source: http://richathletes.com/mikel-obi-net-worth-salary-bio/

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by 01mcfadden(m): 2:11pm On Dec 18, 2018
The lucky one.
Mikel's time at Chelsea should be a textbook definition of grace and if grace has a face, it should be the face.
Through out his 11 years stay with the pensioners, he outstayed many renowned world class midfielders.

Consider Deco, Ballack, Essien, Lampard even left before him, Meireles, Ramires, Oscar etc.

First to comment.
I dedicate this to everybody doing anything humanly possible to send Bubu back to Daura come FailBuhari 2019.

May you never walk alone.

And also to my girl friend Funmi, I'm not trying to be romantic, I'm only trying to let the world know that I love you. I really do. Thanks for being there always. Even if life finally happens to us, I'd look back and see our tine together worth it cos you've helped to open my eyes to the fact that some ladies are more than what you're ready to give them. You changed my perspective about ladies.
Your hustling spirit has helped set a standard for me.
I now know what it takes to date an independent lady.

Thanks, sweet.

67 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Mac2016(m): 2:11pm On Dec 18, 2018
Why?
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 18, 2018
The guys above me are using 6G.

@op, You have created a thread displaying mikel's net worth. grin

After if they kidnap his father again, you'll still be the one to create another thread Mikel's father kidnapped at gun point cheesy

28 Likes 2 Shares

Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Emeskhalifa(m): 2:11pm On Dec 18, 2018
But when would he finally marry he's Oyibo babymama na??

I mean, age is no longer by their side
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by kunleweb: 2:12pm On Dec 18, 2018
Say it straight 30 billion.bucks
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Nobody: 2:12pm On Dec 18, 2018
The most successful Nigerian soccer player of all time.

Someone please, help me convert the €30M to naira, is it more than Davido's N30B?

7 Likes

Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Phyqee10(m): 2:12pm On Dec 18, 2018
This is huge...
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by lilmax(m): 2:13pm On Dec 18, 2018
OK
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Adicsonbaba(m): 2:13pm On Dec 18, 2018
Baba Olowo
Baba Ejima
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by mycar: 2:14pm On Dec 18, 2018
You guys have come again, cant you guys pity the old man?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Lanre4uonly(m): 2:15pm On Dec 18, 2018
All the best to him.
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Triangles1(m): 2:17pm On Dec 18, 2018
Richness is not all about hard work but to who God has bless.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Kaybeer5290: 2:17pm On Dec 18, 2018
FTC
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by shadrach77: 2:17pm On Dec 18, 2018
Mikel...Africa's most decorated footballer cheesy
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Maxcoded: 2:20pm On Dec 18, 2018
IamJix:
The most successful Nigerian soccer player of all time.

Someone please, help me convert the €30M to naira, is it more than Davido's N30B?

My phone calculator is giving me exponential function after converting grin

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by chiboy1116: 2:21pm On Dec 18, 2018
And he's not making noise .....matured nigga
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by magiki(m): 2:23pm On Dec 18, 2018
Mikel is a star He made it in his life

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by kestolove95(m): 2:24pm On Dec 18, 2018
His making money you are there counting, it's okay
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Asshurbanipall: 2:28pm On Dec 18, 2018
Anambra born Mikel. Cool

4 Likes

Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Olibboy: 2:31pm On Dec 18, 2018
Jujurism
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by kelechi50: 2:33pm On Dec 18, 2018
Please can someone tell me where his investment is located or all na trash. If you know you know
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by naijaboiy: 2:36pm On Dec 18, 2018
MikelChukwu Obi has only 9 goals shockedcry

1 Like

Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by MondayOsunbor(m): 2:38pm On Dec 18, 2018
Oga mikiel please give me just one billion abeg
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by AmeLonRo(m): 2:40pm On Dec 18, 2018
Mikel got his opportunity and utilized it. Opportunities are everywhere. check my blog for more:

https://newkokoro.com/2018/12/18/opportunities-are-everywhere/
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by NIGHTMARE0O7: 2:42pm On Dec 18, 2018
01mcfadden:
The lucky one.
Mikel's time at Chelsea should be a textbook definition of grace and if grace has a face, it should be the face.
Through out his 11 years stay with the pensioners, he outstayed many renowned world class midfielders.

Consider Deco, Ballack, Essien, Lampard even left before him, Meireles, Ramires, Oscar etc.

First to comment.
I dedicate this to everybody doing anything humanly possible to send Bubu back to Daura come FailBuhari 2019.

May you never walk alone.

And also to my girl friend Funmi, I'm not trying to be romantic, I'm only trying to let the world know that I love you. I really do. Thanks for being there always. Even if life finally happens to us, I'd look back and see our tine together worth it cos you've helped to open my eyes to the fact that some ladies are more than what you're ready to give them. You changed my perspective about ladies.
Your hustling spirit has helped set a standard for me.
I now know what it takes to date an independent lady.

Thanks, sweet.

I hope ur funmi is pretty shaa
Because majority of them from that side are not blessed with beauty cool
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by Nobody: 2:42pm On Dec 18, 2018
Maxcoded:

My phone calculator is giving me exponential function after converting grin
grin grin grin grin
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by eddybill76: 2:43pm On Dec 18, 2018
No mind am. He wan carry am go heaven
Re: John Mikel Obi: Biography, Net Worth, Salary, Age, And Family by eddybill76: 2:44pm On Dec 18, 2018
IamJix:
grin grin grin grin
you get time

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Adidas Gifts Lionel Messi Eight Gold Rings, They All Have Different Meaning. / Mikel Does Not Deserve Nigeria No. 10 Jersey - Etim Esin / Anthony Joshua To Have A Re-match With Andy Ruiz In November

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.