Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,293 members, 7,807,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:44 AM

Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos - Health (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos (42577 Views)

Dr Diasco Vwaere Dies At Odan Hospital As Faulty Elevator Falls From 10th Floor / Ebonyi Takes Over Mission Hospital As 100-year Lease Expires / Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by derahhh(m): 9:44pm On Dec 18, 2018
PennywysCares:
Life is business

We are not praying for things like this to happen, but don't blame the Nigerian doctors there are they for business, they have their responsibilities and people who depend on them. Most of Nigerian private hospitals are on rented apartment so they pay rent, pay the workers and equip the hospital with medications needed to care for patients all at the expense of their money.

So if they used the necessary medication for Mr A without him paying for it, there will be no medication for Mr B when he comes for it. Hospitals are not charity organization, even in government hospitals the health officers do make account to the appropriate authorities

So save the hatred and hash words and reason it as a business. The cost of managing a hospital is higher this days, try to listen to doctors side of the stories.

I very much understand your side of things but you sound learned ditto must be aware they take an oath during there induction and one of the key content of this oath is #paraphrasing# 'I must put above all other things saving lives'.These guys are not doing well at all...I saw one just TODAY at the state hospital in Akure,the young man was rushed into the hospital cos he was involved in an accident n the doctors neglected attending to him in time till he die.You need to see the way his family and friends scattered the hospital, Police came n couldn't do shit...
A human live is always well above any hospital fee.Save the life first before you begin to talk bout any fee ..#mySixCent
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Sarang(f): 9:45pm On Dec 18, 2018
okrikaboi:
R.I.P Don't argue when rasked in port Harcourt just give them what they want without saying fimm.
As for the doctors, Nigerian doctors are one of the most heartless in the world they will never save life first I have experienced it first hand right before my eyes my friend died they are always sad. drifted and frustrated.

True
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by frozen70(f): 9:45pm On Dec 18, 2018
Hmmm
Does it mean that even life have no meaning again in this country

What stops them from going ahead and wait for the alert till the next day

Honestly, the team that was careless with this man's life deserves their licence to be revoked
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Sarang(f): 9:45pm On Dec 18, 2018
Jerryembassy91:
I weep for my country. ..las las i go denounce naija..

There was a country

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by omoelerin1: 9:49pm On Dec 18, 2018
okrikaboi:
R.I.P Don't argue when rasked in port Harcourt just give them what they want without saying fimm.
As for the doctors, Nigerian doctors are one of the most heartless in the world they will never save life first I have experienced it first hand right before my eyes my friend died they are always sad. drifted and frustrated.
Not only doctors. Every aspect of social system in Nigeria is sick. Is it police emergency or fire service? Try to put a call through official line or email of a public university to make enquiry if your call will be picked or you will have a response to you inquiry.
Go to a ministry or agency and see how they work and attend to people. Nigeria is a cursed nation.
Anyone who has the means of leaving this country should leave.

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Mrceragem: 9:51pm On Dec 18, 2018
We need to learn from this.
When "they" say bring do not hesitate just give them if you know you cannot out run them.( God that give you money to buy the phone will surely replace it with a better one provided you bought it with legit money and your hand are clean before God)

If he has surrender his phone this won't happen.

As for the Doctor God will do the judging
As per the phone thief aka stabber . ... He that stab must be stab in return.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Tekzyflex(m): 9:53pm On Dec 18, 2018
Why is Nigeria is useless... God why! Why!
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by chigoizie7(m): 10:04pm On Dec 18, 2018
funds to sustain the running of the hospital is important but saving lives 1st is importanter.

I have stayed in a teaching hospital for 27days and I saw how our so called doctors treat people, sick people with disdain.
also in that hospital I have seen people come in to ask if there are some people who are in the hospital but were unable to foot bills. come in pay millions of naira or thousands abd then leave without the patients knowing.

as I speak to u, my dad is just recovering , his right leg was amputated above the knee because of diabetes. there were so many other complications. we spent close to 4 .3million naira. just because I have a pharmacist friend who got me drugs outside the at a price times 3 less of what the hospital pharmacy sold them. Otherwise na 6million we go de pursue. and he made it because somehow, by the grace of God, we could afford it. what of those who cant afford it? what of those who never knew that such drugs can be gotten at a very cheaper rate? yet the hospital decides to exploit them, aint that wickedness? what happened to their oats?

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Bukasint(f): 10:05pm On Dec 18, 2018
Nigerians are quick to blame Doctors without actually looking into the real problem and who to blame. I understand a Doctor has to save life but things are done orderly to avoid facing the Law. Mind you it's only a foolish person that believes everything he reads online when it has to be an argument that involves two individual with listening to both parties. .
Most Nigerians fails to understand that most of our hospitals are nothing but a Poultry farm. Nobody cares to even know if the hospital is equipped.
Let's know that not all hospitals are owned by a Doctor and some of them are owed by quacks(someone without a degree and some even Public hospital Workers (minus Doctors) can pretend to be running a hospital and in Nigeria a lot of things goes without being in check. A good hospital that handles Emergencies. No Doctor,I repeat no Doctor will be money conscious especially when it comes to emergency cases without saving a life,unless the Hospital in question does not have the necessary drugs and tools needed to save such patient.

The truth is if we Nigerians fails to value our health sector and even ask the government to give us good Hospital that is well equipped with all Emergency kits and Co, we are heading towards destruction. And how many Nigerians understands this? From a close source and a Doctor said A NIGERIAN ONLY GOES TO THE HOSPITAL ONLY WHEN THEY HAVE FINISHED TREATING MALARIA AND THEN CONTINUE TREATING TYPHOID and no improvement that's when they get to the hospital exception goes to those who have a family Doctor.
Tell me how can we value or our health, if this is the attitude of Nigerians.
How many Nigerians can go to the streets and protest for Good health?
How many Nigerians goes for medical check up?

What you value most will be protected with the outermost care and what you don't will be wasted.
If Nigerians are able to protest when fuel subsidy was removed and a lot where in the streets with placards and making their voices heard and this year around April 2018 the Public Hospital where on strike,people died,most patients died,Surgeries were cancelled, Blood and Lab services where discontinued and no single Nigerian took to the street to protest or even talk about it because we were not concerned and we all where healthy one way or the other.
Nigeria lose over a 1000 Doctors year in year out and we don't do anything. How much more what will happen.
Before we blame anyone,have we done the best for ourselves?

2 Likes

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Legalese(m): 10:06pm On Dec 18, 2018
They should sue the hospital.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Lagusta(m): 10:06pm On Dec 18, 2018
Laird:
As a Medic, I went to buy More Expensive Branded Pain killers for My Mum from a pharmacy.

I paid about 4 times the Price of the Unbranded Painkiller for the Branded Painkiller...... GUESS WHAT THE PHARMACY DID NOT COLLECT ONE KOBO LESS FROM THE MONEY. AND I PAID IN FULL BEFORE I WAS GIVEN THE DRUGS TO GO WITH

IF THE GOVERNMENT HAD FUNCTIONAL FREE EMERGENCY STABILISATION CLINICS WITHIN EVERY ONE KILOMETER, THE GUY WOULD HAVE BEEN RUSHED THERE AND HIS CHANCES OF SURVIVAL WOULD HAVE BEEN HIGHER

IN THE UK, GOVERNMENT EMERGENCY SERVICES WOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED TO COME AND PICK HIM UP WITH GOVERNMENT AMBULANCE AND PROPER STAFF AND TO TAKE HIM TO AN EMERGENCY INTENSIVE CARE UNIT IN A STANDARD GOVERNMENT HOSPITAL.

SO. BLAME THE GOVERNMENT, THE STAB INJURY WOULD HAVE EVEN REQUIRED AN EMERGENCY CARE UNIT

Guy, abeg, I want us to meet, I promise you any drink of your choice!!!

You're the man!!!

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Lagusta(m): 10:09pm On Dec 18, 2018
Bukasint:
Nigerians are quick to blame without Doctors without actually looking into the real problem and who to blame. I understand a Doctor has to save life but things are done orderly to avoid facing the Law. Mind you it's only a foolish person that believes everything he reads online when it has to be an argument that involves two individuals.
Most Nigerians fails to understand that most of our hospitals are nothing but a Poultry farm. Nobody cares to even know if the hospital is equipped.
Let's know that not all hospitals are owned by a Doctor and some of them are owed by quacks(someone without a degree and some even Public hospital Workers (minus Doctors) can pretend to be running a hospital and in Nigeria a lot of things goes without being in check. A good hospital has handles Emergency and no Doctor I repeat no Doctor will be money conscious without saving a life unless the Hospital in question does not have the necessary drugs and tools needed to manage such patient.

The truth is if we Nigerians fails to value our health sector and even ask the government to give us good Hospital well equipped with all Emergency kits and Co, we are heading to a big doom. And how many Nigerians understands this? From a close source and a Doctor said A NIGERIAN ONLY GOES TO THE HOSPITAL ONLY WHEN THEY HAVE FINISHED TREATING MALARIA AND THEN CONTINUE TREATING TYPHOID.
Tell me how can we value or our health, if this is the attitude of Nigerians.
How many Nigerians can body go to the streets and protest for Good health?
How many Nigerians on goes for medical check up?

What you value most will be protected with the outermost care and what you don't will be wasted.
If Nigerians where able to protest when fuel subsidy was removed and a lot where in the streets with placards and making their voices heard and this year around April the Public Hospital where in strike people died,most patients died,Surgeries were cancelled, Blood and Lab services where discontinued and no single Nigerian took to the street to protest or even talk about it because we where not concerned and we all where healthy one way or the other.
Nigeria lose over a 1000 Doctors year in year out and we don't do anything. How much more what will happen.
Before we blame anyone,have we done the best for ourselves.

God bless you sir!!! God bless you
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Jaqenhghar: 10:10pm On Dec 18, 2018
Olodo24:
Nigerian hospitals can never save a soul. It's always money, money and money. They even know nothing about first aid and emergency
Brother even with your money they will still kill you.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Jaqenhghar: 10:11pm On Dec 18, 2018
Mrceragem:
We need to learn from this.
When "they" say bring do not hesitate just give them if you know you cannot out run them.( God that give you money to buy the phone will surely replace it with a better one provided you bought it with legit money and your hand are clean before God)

If he has surrender his phone this won't happen.

As for the Doctor God will do the judging
As per the phone thief aka stabber . ... He that stab must be stab in return.
Look. Even if you give them it wont make a difference

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by armadeo(m): 10:13pm On Dec 18, 2018
True story.

One night a doctor was called to the hospital ( private) to attend to an accident victim. He was knocked down by some boys during the night and was rushed to the hospital as it was close by. Involved where 2 other people bringing the number to 3.

The doctor started attending to the patients without asking for money being naive and the car owners absconded. About 2 hrs later after all efforts one of the victims died.

The owner of the hospital came in the morning and was in rage cos a police report was required, taking the body to the mortuary and all that. Owner says I definitely won't bear this cost, doctor had to pay deducted from salary over 2 months.

Doctor didn't complain. Took it as a lesson in life and after that dropped instructions that if the patient hasn't paid the deposit nobody should call him ever!!.

He tried to save a life and got stuck with the bill.

Try explaining life first to this doctor.

As I said true story.

Modified:
This is just one experience of a doctor who tried to serve before payment.

Let me put it this way. A man is hungry and goes to a canteen why won't he be given food after all save life first.

A man is cold with no clothes why doesn't the shop owner give clothes to him. Save lives first.

A brilliant child has no money for fees why doesn't the school let him through for free after all education would save his life ...save life first.

We tend to be very myopic because only when the grim reaper comes knocking that you remember doctors took oaths. How many of you here have reduced the cost of anything for a doctor knowing that he saves lives first. House rent, school fees , transport fare he pays like you but you don't want to pay for his service.

Sad that the young man died, but the entire system is sick including people on both sides of the divide

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by bigsmoke2(m): 10:18pm On Dec 18, 2018
ipobarecriminals:
angry sad sad sad dey shud seal the useless hospital/ jail the Doc.
Because of the humanitarian nature of Doctors work people expect them to be running charity doctors are human beings too with bills to pay.Nobody keeps money for health majority of patients who come in such condition have no money to pay but they make promises in their moment to desperation and start begging or run away once they are well. The only way out is insurance scheme that is properly done.

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Bukasint(f): 10:19pm On Dec 18, 2018
Lagusta:

God bless you sir!!! God bless you

Bless you Sir.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Nobody: 10:23pm On Dec 18, 2018
Datta Clinic Woji Road, Rumurolu, Port Harcourt, why?
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by armadeo(m): 10:23pm On Dec 18, 2018
bigsmoke2:

Because of the humanitarian nature of Doctors work people expect them to be running charity doctors are human beings too with bills to pay.Nobody keeps money for health majority of patients who come in such condition have no money to pay but they make promises in their moment to desperation and start begging or run away once they are well. The only way out is insurance scheme that is properly done.

Health insurance is bound to fail in Nigeria because " thisnis Nigeria everybody be criminal".

Those who collect the funds would steal it, pay hospitals less, patients would expect to be admitted in Sheraton hotel for their 2k a month with their families, friends, neighbours and pets. Hospitals would be frustrated out of business cos finally after providing services they would be starved of funds.

It would take a gradual buy in process for insurance to work here.

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by deebrownneymar: 10:24pm On Dec 18, 2018
Olodo24:
Nigerian hospitals can never save a soul. It's always money, money and money. They even know nothing about first aid and emergency

Nigerian hospitals are not the problem. The problem is Nigerians and the govt.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Mrceragem: 10:26pm On Dec 18, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

Look. Even if you give them it wont make a difference
It does.
Them "Hey march there"
Them "Bring your phone"
Me...Senior bros see am collect.

Nothing will happen and they won't stab you.

2 Likes

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by oyigah(m): 10:29pm On Dec 18, 2018
Guy we are not the source of your frustration you can channel your bile to the politicians in abj... They screwed
the health system.
okrikaboi:
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Ranchhoddas: 10:31pm On Dec 18, 2018
PennywysCares:
Life is business

We are not praying for things like this to happen, but don't blame the Nigerian doctors there are they for business, they have their responsibilities and people who depend on them. Most of Nigerian private hospitals are on rented apartment so they pay rent, pay the workers and equip the hospital with medications needed to care for patients all at the expense of their money.

So if they used the necessary medication for Mr A without him paying for it, there will be no medication for Mr B when he comes for it. Hospitals are not charity organization, even in government hospitals the health officers do make account to the appropriate authorities

So save the hatred and hash words and reason it as a business. The cost of managing a hospital is higher this days, try to listen to doctors side of the stories.
You don't have any sense!
Now that he's dead did they get any money?
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Ranchhoddas: 10:38pm On Dec 18, 2018
armadeo:
True story.

One night a doctor was called to the hospital ( private) to attend to an accident victim. He was knocked down by some boys during the night and was rushed to the hospital as it was close by. Involved where 2 other people bringing the number to 3.

The doctor started attending to the patients without asking for money being naive and the car owners absconded. About 2 hrs later after all efforts one of the victims died.

The owner of the hospital came in the morning and was in rage cos a police report was required, taking the body to the mortuary and all that. Owner says I definitely won't bear this cost, doctor had to pay deducted from salary over 2 months.

Doctor didn't complain. Took it as a lesson in life and after that dropped instructions that if the patient hasn't paid the deposit nobody should call him ever!!.

He tried to save a life and got stuck with the bill.

Try explaining life first to this doctor.

As I said true story.

Modified:
This is just one experience of a doctor who tried to serve before payment.

Let me put it this way. A man is hungry and goes to a canteen why won't he be given food after all save life first.

A man is cold with no clothes why doesn't the shop owner give clothes to him. Save lives first.

A brilliant child has no money for fees why doesn't the school let him through for free after all education would save his life ...save life first.

We tend to be very myopic because only when the grim reaper comes knocking that you remember doctors took oaths. How many of you here have reduced the cost of anything for a doctor knowing that he saves lives first. House rent, school fees , transport fare he pays like you but you don't want to pay for his service.

Sad that the young man died, but the entire system is sick including people on both sides of the divide
I hope you are this philosophical when the person whose life is on the line is your family member.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Akinwaley11(m): 10:42pm On Dec 18, 2018
Have witnessed it with my naked eyes where a doctor attended to a pregnant woman without collecting a dime, after delivery the husband abandoned her for like a week which the doctor was the one feeding and taking care of her......so the doctors are right sometimes
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Ranchhoddas: 10:44pm On Dec 18, 2018
theoldpretender:

I am a doctor.

I have worked in several hospitals over the years,including one hospital which had financial issues because people won't pay their bills,another hospital where patient left with a debt running into thousands of naira that up till today has not been paid, and so on

I have, and no I am not boasting...paid for patients out of my salary. Of course, i don;t do that...it impacted on my pocket seriously.

I also don't wait foralert before treating patients.

But the thing is, if patients don't pay on time, hospitals won't be able to function well enough, retain staff, and keep facilities up properly.And when standards fall, patients get hurt.

So, sorry, but there is another side to this story. The funding side.

(And yes, this also happens in developed countries. One homeless man in the USA used to get free treatment in a US hospital's emergency room. Then they stopped...because doing such..treating poor people like him.... left the hospital with a debt of $250million).

Health is not cheap.
Rubbish!

If the homeless guy was stabbed and bleeding to death, would they withhold treatment because of money?
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by RTSC: 10:47pm On Dec 18, 2018
The 10,.000 naira chicken change buhari is using to bribe voters in the name of trade moni, would have gone a long way as capital for national health insurance.

In a country with abysmally poor people , health insurance is the only way.

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Ademascot: 10:51pm On Dec 18, 2018
I prefer to live in either Zamfara or Maiduguri than any South South cities!!! my service year experience shows that 70% of them are lazy
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by obonujoker(m): 10:52pm On Dec 18, 2018
PennywysCares:
Life is business

You are just a evil heartless dweeb....so money is more important than saving a life?? Is it possible to discharge a patient without full payment??
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Laird(m): 11:01pm On Dec 18, 2018
theoldpretender:

I am a doctor.

I have worked in several hospitals over the years,including one hospital which had financial issues because people won't pay their bills,another hospital where patient left with a debt running into thousands of naira that up till today has not been paid, and so on

I have, and no I am not boasting...paid for patients out of my salary. Of course, i don;t do that...it impacted on my pocket seriously.

I also don't wait foralert before treating patients.

But the thing is, if patients don't pay on time, hospitals won't be able to function well enough, retain staff, and keep facilities up properly.And when standards fall, patients get hurt.

So, sorry, but there is another side to this story. The funding side.

(And yes, this also happens in developed countries. One homeless man in the USA used to get free treatment in a US hospital's emergency room. Then they stopped...because doing such..treating poor people like him.... left the hospital with a debt of $250million).

Health is not cheap.

As a Medic I work 2 jobs ( one full time, one weekend part time and both jobs have their separate timetables and job schedules and do not clash)and I am even looking to get a 3rd job. Currently I work almost 7 days a week currently
Why; To pay.my bills

Doctors buy the same drugs you buy from the same pharmacy.
Doctors pay for fuel or bus, bike, keke orairplane transport fares
Doctors pay the same rent you pay
Doctors buy the same food you buy
Doctors buy from the same market You buy
Private Hospitals pay Medical taxes, medical waste disposal fees, water bills , electricity , diesel.bills , salaries
Private hospitals pay for Medicines from the suppliers

Doctors pay Medical Licence fees every Year...Even to work as a Doctor, You have to pay a Yearly Licence fee to professional medical bodies who do little.or nothing to enforce for Doctors welfare than Generate Money for themselves

Medical School fees is not cheap either

I have stabilized and treated emergency patients whose relatives start quarreling about the hospital bill when.the patient became better. Some patients even leave the HOSPITAL without PAYING for drugs and materials WHICH WERE NOT GIVEN FREE TO THE PRIVATE HOSPITAL FROM SUPPLIERS but paid for

What is the solution for emergencies;

Ask Your government for Free government ambulances and FREE well equipped well staffed government Hospital emergency intensive care units with all the needed Specialist doctors and surgeons, Equipment, good drugs and electricity. All Paid for from Your Taxes or Your States Government Allocation or Internally Generated revenue

2 Likes

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by ipobarecriminals: 11:02pm On Dec 18, 2018
bigsmoke2:

save first.dey aren't doing charity. dey deposit 30k into the hospital bank account. Why dey nor treat him and involve police im d matter

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

7-Month-Old Baby's Head Continues To Swell As Parents Lament In Anambra (Photos) / 667 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 12 Deaths On June 19 -(2504 Tested) / #DoctHoe: Pretty Slay Queen Doctor, A Perfect Combination Of Beauty & Brains

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.