Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,431 members, 7,808,539 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:12 PM

Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos (42581 Views)

Dr Diasco Vwaere Dies At Odan Hospital As Faulty Elevator Falls From 10th Floor / Ebonyi Takes Over Mission Hospital As 100-year Lease Expires / Pregnant Woman In Need Of Emergency C-section Turned Away By Hospital (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by RomeoEmpire(m): 11:17pm On Dec 18, 2018
This really want to make me cry.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Script94(m): 11:19pm On Dec 18, 2018
because of this a curse is over that hospital already, what is the need 4 a hospital where card & money is valued first b4 life
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Nobody: 11:25pm On Dec 18, 2018
If you can run away from that hellhole called Nigeria
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Jaqenhghar: 11:34pm On Dec 18, 2018
Mrceragem:

It does.
Them "Hey march there"
Them "Bring your phone"
Me...Senior bros see am collect.

Nothing will happen and they won't stab you.
LOL. Na that one. I thought you were talking of the doctors
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Gkemz: 11:37pm On Dec 18, 2018
The hospital should be held responsible for his death just like many other cases swept away under the carpet because we don't have a good legal system that checkmates the excesses and negligence of public health workers.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Nobody: 11:38pm On Dec 18, 2018
this is nigeria and just look at how we are living.little wonder we are still referred to as a third world country.over there dial 911 and within minutes you will be attended to
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by armadeo(m): 11:48pm On Dec 18, 2018
AdetolaAdeniyi:
this is nigeria and just look at how we are living.little wonder we are still referred to as a third world country.over there dial 911 and within minutes you will be attended to

Yes. But someone had paid for it mostly through taxes. Here the taxes are collected and squandered by the collectors. National health insurance fraud has been swept under the carpet. The system is bleeped and needs to be rebooted else.

Same shit everyday.

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by temmy08: 12:07am On Dec 19, 2018
(Life is business

We are not praying for things like this to happen, but don't blame the Nigerian doctors there are they for business, they have their responsibilities and people who depend on them. Most of Nigerian private hospitals are on rented apartment so they pay rent, pay the workers and equip the hospital with medications needed to care for patients all at the expense of their money.

So if they used the necessary medication for Mr A without him paying for it, there will be no medication for Mr B when he comes for it. Hospitals are not charity organization, even in government hospitals the health officers do make account to the appropriate authorities

So save the hatred and hash words and reason it as a business. The cost of managing a hospital is higher this days, try to listen to doctors side of the stories
).

This comment above makes my heart bleed, no matter worth, safety first. They have to save like first then money follows. After all the patient will not expect them to treat him free even in government hospitals.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by temmy08: 12:09am On Dec 19, 2018
This comment above makes my heart bleed, no matter worth, safety first. They have to save life first then money follows. After all the patient will not expect them to treat him free even in government hospitals.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report) (Share)

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Nobody: 12:22am On Dec 19, 2018
PennywysCares:
Life is business

We are not praying for things like this to happen, but don't blame the Nigerian doctors there are they for business, they have their responsibilities and people who depend on them. Most of Nigerian private hospitals are on rented apartment so they pay rent, pay the workers and equip the hospital with medications needed to care for patients all at the expense of their money.

So if they used the necessary medication for Mr A without him paying for it, there will be no medication for Mr B when he comes for it. Hospitals are not charity organization, even in government hospitals the health officers do make account to the appropriate authorities

So save the hatred and hash words and reason it as a business. The cost of managing a hospital is higher this days, try to listen to doctors side of the stories.

Where is the sympathy for humanity?

SMH

If private hospitals do not have necessary facilities or contigency plans to contain situations like this in the healthcare setting then they should please shut down the pen called hospital.

I received care service in Kenya and till now I have not finished settling my bills and I still go there for check up. That is why the budget for health care sector should include risks like this. Hippocratic code initiates the humanistic nature of doctors but do private hospitals recite it ?

I can't really assert the claim that the hospital is private though but even if it is public, they have no right to hold any life with triviality.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Jowanson: 12:22am On Dec 19, 2018
If that is the hospital , then am in shock then..I know the chief medical director there... A Yoruba man and he does not strike me to be this heartless....am dissapointed...I won't mention the name of the doctor.. But Doctor, you and your nurses no try at all! Una for save the life first.

Too bad!
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Jowanson: 12:30am On Dec 19, 2018
PennywysCares:
Life is business

So save the hatred and hash words and reason it as a business. The cost of managing a hospital is higher this days, try to listen to doctors side of the stories.

Please when you talk like this, it means you are in support of this heartless behaviour.

What is treating someone with a stab wound firstly and notifying the family of that person to rally round and pay for the hospital service? At least help in stopping the bleeding firstly....I pray you don't experience this type of heartless behaviour from the doctors... Then you will know its painful.... Its too bad... That hospital is a big hospital..I know it very well..I know the chief medical director.... A Yoruba man.....he is bigger than all this you are saying...he should have save that life firstly....Its unfortunate, we don't value life in this part of the world....
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by addictiv(m): 12:44am On Dec 19, 2018
PennywysCares:
Life is business

Just read what you wrote and ask yourself if it makes any sense. If doctors want to do business they should go and setup a boutique or sell goods at alaba or better still go do farming. It is sickening that people who are supposed to save human lives would be watching a human being dying right in front of them and won't bother to provide the basic first aid at least to curtial the loss of blood from the injury. If they cant provide basic first aid to save the life before talking of money for treatment then they are not only greedy but also heartless.. I blame our legal system for allowing all this senseless behaviour. if only we had laws that would ensure that any medical personnel whos lackadaisical attitude results in the death of a patient, relinquishes their licence, or goes to jail or pays a hefty sum to the government and families affected. Maybe they ll do things differently

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by kkinternet: 2:27am On Dec 19, 2018
So human life is worth ordinary 25K. Wicked and heartless Doctors. The Tsunami wey go hit una is still loading up. Bastards!!!

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by dingbang(m): 3:07am On Dec 19, 2018
PennywysCares:
Life is business

thats not a good thing to say. I pray you dont get into their shoes.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by dingbang(m): 3:16am On Dec 19, 2018
On Sunday now, those doctors and nurses will go to church to sing Na r'ekele mo...
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by BrokenCock: 4:02am On Dec 19, 2018
In these days of easy fone tracking its better u handover ur fones to robbers wen they request, even if na torchlight fone it cud be tracked? U will save ur life and other future lives and help fight crimes in your little way. Jiste that yeye NPF will be like, 'pay 20k to track ya fone '.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by latour: 4:38am On Dec 19, 2018
I have been reading most of the comments here and some are just heart breaking
I am a medical doctor, I have worked in both govt and private hospitals , the truth is that some patient's attitude after treatment have caused some hospitals especially private ones to make rules concerning payment before treatment....I have had a lot of experiences from those who tell you "is it just this small thing you did that you are charging this amount" to those who just abscond without paying when they are stable. In as much as I agree with my colleagues that we go to same markets, same bills and so on....but in the case of emergency....to leave a patient to die because of funds is simply heartless...There is no justification for it....not even funds...at least stabilize him/her then refer them if you feel you can't bear the cost if they are unable to pay....to leave a patient to bleed to death because of money is unimaginable. I can't do it....even if there is a standing order by the hospital owner. How can I sleep at night?. I don't know how people do it. If we see every person who walk into the hospital as a relative , Our attitude will change. If this story is truly what transpired at the hospital....it is heartless....What stopped them from stabilizing the patient while waiting for money. No matter how we try to justify the hospital, their action is wrong if the story is true

5 Likes

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Mrceragem: 5:04am On Dec 19, 2018
Jaqenhghar:

LOL. Na that one. I thought you were talking of the doctors
No not Doctor
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by eyinjuege: 5:29am On Dec 19, 2018
Private hospitals should have no business running emergency services.
Every state should have government funded emergency services with enough staff and equipment.

2 Likes

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by LegalOpinion: 6:49am On Dec 19, 2018
martineverest:
NMA wont see this unethical pratice,they only know how to strike for salary increment.....

Requesting advance payment before commencement of treatment is not unethical, except in government hospitals where such kind of treatment is free.

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by mozona(m): 7:07am On Dec 19, 2018
Hm, this is the state our country is in, no value for human life
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Thomthom(m): 7:14am On Dec 19, 2018
martineverest:
NMA wont see this unethical pratice,they only know how to strike for salary increment.....
truth
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by prinxsamuel(m): 7:17am On Dec 19, 2018
This is Nigeria shocked shocked... It's no longer police report again for such related cases but credit alert.
God save us all.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Nobody: 7:23am On Dec 19, 2018
RIP my hero, if others in PH had 10% of the courage you exhibited these hoodlums would be out of business, but you know PH people they like to stare like zombies and do nothing, if your church brethren abandoned you.

I have always said that there is no health care system in PH , just a bunch of money grapping vampires in white coats, even if you have the money theres no guarantee that you will be attended.

doctors in portharcourt are the most unprofessional that i have seen in all Nigeria, I stand to be corrected.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Nobody: 7:27am On Dec 19, 2018
temmy08:
(Life is business

So save the hatred and hash words and reason it as a business. The cost of managing a hospital is higher this days, try to listen to doctors side of the stories
).

This comment above makes my heart bleed, no matter worth, safety first. They have to save like first then money follows. After all the patient will not expect them to treat him free even in government hospitals.

you speak like a vampire, what of the hippocratic oath, does the word emergency mean anything to you?

its people like you and your distorted way of reasoning that make million of nigerians embark on medical tourism. because instead of saving lives you take lives.
if all you care about is money, the medical line is not for you.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by TrumpDonald2: 7:38am On Dec 19, 2018
PennywysCares:
Life is business

And who told you they won't pay after treatment or rather during treatment. There is no excuse for this. Its sheer heartlessness.
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Ararume2: 8:02am On Dec 19, 2018
I remember attending to a young guy who sustained deep laceration on the face. Dude was bleeding heavily and even became unconscious by the time he was rushed in.

AS expected, this category of patients always have no money on them. I was able to resuscitate him and secure hemostasis. By the time he regained consciousness, he was already swearing about how he would return with double the amount of his incurred bill.

We discharged him eventually and dude never returned till date. Unknown to him, my MD asked me to treat him free of charge.

This is the mindset of the average Nigerian patient. They think the doctor is already stupendously wealthy and needs nothing else in life. Some foolish ones even think the doctor should rather give them money.

ive read the stupid rants of the disgruntled wailers on this thread this morning. They won't blame the government for not providing comprehensive health insurance. For them, it's the doctors' duty to ensure long life for all Nigerians even at their expense.

OLodo everywhere!

1 Like

Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Ararume2: 8:07am On Dec 19, 2018
I remember attending to a young guy who sustained deep laceration on the face. Dude was bleeding heavily and even became unconscious by the time he was rushed in.

AS expected, this category of patients always have no money on them. I was able to resuscitate him and secure hemostasis. By the time he regained consciousness, he was already swearing about how he would return with double the amount of his incurred bill.

We discharged him eventually and dude never returned till date. Unknown to him, my MD asked me to treat him free of charge.

This is the mindset of the average Nigerian patient. They think the doctor is already stupendously wealthy and needs nothing else in life. Some foolish ones even think the doctor should rather give them money.

ive read the stupid rants of the disgruntled wailers on this thread this morning. They won't blame the government for not providing comprehensive health insurance. For them, it's the doctors' duty to ensure long life for all Nigerians even at their expense.

The most painful part of it is that people actually call me on phone and expect medical consultation and even prescription over the phone. I've been polite enough to kindly tell them off. From now onwards, anybody whose stupidity gets to that level will be blocked.

OLodo everywhere!
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by Edemjames(m): 8:08am On Dec 19, 2018
Rip young man
Re: Man Dies After Being 'Abandoned' By Hospital As Doctors Waited For Alert. Photos by JuanDeDios: 8:10am On Dec 19, 2018
theoldpretender:

I know...

But I have worked in hospitals where doctors start treatment without payment...and then the patient absconds, and the hospital is left holding the debt.

And at the end of the day, it is choice between being heartless...or staying financially solvent to pay the bills,salaries,maintain standards.

The problem with Nigerians is that they want free stuff. Well....the thing is, there is no free stuff. Money has to be paid.Somehow.

Maybe we need a National Health Service,like the UK. Until the bill comes in....
Everything you have said is true. But these things have to be looked at on a case-by-case basis. These people paid - they did what was required of them - but their loved one still died. He died because we have evolved a society where there is a complete breakdown of trust such that a transfer done in your presence is doubted! Were they not shown "transfer successful"? I bet that wasn't enough! If e wan die make e die abeg, we neva see alert! It's a societal problem but I don't dig these doctors at all. May we not encounter their type.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

667 New COVID-19 Cases, 274 Discharged And 12 Deaths On June 19 -(2504 Tested) / #DoctHoe: Pretty Slay Queen Doctor, A Perfect Combination Of Beauty & Brains / Does Having Sex 21 Times A Month Prevent Prostate Issues? - Fact Check

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.