Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,205 members, 7,807,697 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 05:37 PM

"Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) (39568 Views)

Alfa Ekele, Nigerian Aviation Student Dies In Plane Crash At US Airport (Photo) / Man Raises Concern Over Cracked Basement Pillar At The Lagos Airport (Photo) / See Travel Chaos Caused by Drone At Gatwick Airport, Army Called (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

"Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by Techcribsblog(m): 11:51am On Dec 20, 2018
>>>>>>>
Gatwick airport, the UK’s second largest airport, was closed for most of Wednesday night and Thursday morning after it received reports of two drones flying nearby, reports The Guardian. The airport initially had its flights suspended at 9PM on Wednesday evening after the drones were spotted, and although it briefly reopened at 3am, it was forced to close once more 45 minutes later after the drone flights resumed. As of 9:15AM, Thursday morning, flights to and from the airport remained suspended.

As well as preventing any flights from taking off, the suspension means that numerous inbound flights had to be diverted to other London-area airports including Luton, Heathrow and Stansted, while other flights were forced to land in Paris and Amsterdam. In total, 760 flights containing 110,000 passengers were due to either take off or land from Gatwick over the course of Thursday.
>>>>>

Responding to the incident, the UK’s Civil Aviation Authority said that “it is totally unacceptable to fly drones close to airports and anyone flouting the rules can face severe penalties including imprisonment.” Currently, the law states that flying within 1km(0.6 miles) of an airport is illegal in the UK without explicit permission, and if caught, the pilots of Gatwick’s drones could face up to five years in prison according to the Aviation Minister Baroness Sugg. Although drone users in the US have been required to register their drones since 2015, similar rules for UK owners aren’t due to come into effect until November 2019.

Source>> https://techcribs.com.ng/idiots-with-drones-have-shut-down-the-uks-second-largest-airport/

2 Shares

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by kunleweb: 12:02pm On Dec 20, 2018
Thrash.couldn't the airforce be summoned to shoot down the gizmo.instead of suffering.over a 100000people and suspending business operations?

42 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by ValCon888: 12:06pm On Dec 20, 2018
I wish this can be our problem in naija sad

Na only people wey don chop dey fly drone

53 Likes

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by Techcribsblog(m): 1:13pm On Dec 20, 2018
ValCon888:

grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by EbukaHades10(m): 1:24pm On Dec 20, 2018
How do I get a drone make i do my own for any airport for Nigeria?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by Nobody: 3:37pm On Dec 20, 2018
grin grin
ValCon888:

Buy 2 plots of dry land in Badagry Lagos. Already fenced and gated. (secured property on purchase).
Pm me if interested.

1 Like

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by dominique(f): 3:38pm On Dec 20, 2018
So they couldn't control two tiny drones, they had to shut down airport activities for over 12 hours? Who is the idiot here now?

55 Likes 2 Shares

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by laughitall(m): 3:41pm On Dec 20, 2018
Hmmm
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by kingzjay(m): 3:42pm On Dec 20, 2018
Reminds me of the movie 'Three Idiots'!

I blame Saraki for this.

2 Likes

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 20, 2018
kunleweb:
Thrash.couldn't the airforce be summoned to shoot down the gizmo.instead of suffering.over a 100000people and suspending business operations?

I tire for Oyinbo people ehn.
How you go shutdown airport because of just two drones.. Nawa o undecided

3 Likes

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by ednut1(m): 3:43pm On Dec 20, 2018
What if Boko begin use drone drop bomb haa
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by Nobody: 3:43pm On Dec 20, 2018
grin
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by slawomir: 3:43pm On Dec 20, 2018
Isoright
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by SingleWahala(f): 3:45pm On Dec 20, 2018
grin
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by kennosklint(m): 3:45pm On Dec 20, 2018
If na naija nobody go send am

1 Like

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by Righteousness89(m): 3:46pm On Dec 20, 2018
They Shut down a whole Airport

And U call them idiots??
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by FarahAideed: 3:46pm On Dec 20, 2018
stop flying drones near airports and airfields , tgisbis costing aviation operators too much in losses , time and safety
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by KingLennon(m): 3:47pm On Dec 20, 2018
kingzjay:
Reminds me of the movie 'Three Idiots'!

I blame Saraki for this.
Wetin dis one dey talk?
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by 1899Milan: 3:47pm On Dec 20, 2018
Its amazing how billions are invested in nuclear tech that may never be used but its flying parcel sized tech that will be causing major disruptions.
LOL

1 Like

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by megacruise: 3:47pm On Dec 20, 2018
How possible is this? Drones can't take off at airports as it's a *no fly zone*. Mine couldn't lift when the corpse of Alex Ekwueme arrived ENUGU airport.
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by Nobody: 3:50pm On Dec 20, 2018
It's simple. Remotely hack into the drones using a Trojan and hijack their control terminals.

Crash them into a rock and everyone's fine.

8 Likes

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by panpan(m): 3:55pm On Dec 20, 2018
The word "idiot" does not appear in the report itself.

3 Likes

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by Jonadull: 3:58pm On Dec 20, 2018
kunleweb:
And if it turns out to be bombs ?
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by contactmorak: 4:02pm On Dec 20, 2018
This might lead to a stiff law in the ownership of drones in the UK.
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by kunleweb: 4:02pm On Dec 20, 2018
Jonathan:

And if it turns out to be bombs ?

Bombs indeed. It can be scanned. If uts bombd the more reason it should and can be attacked at high altitude
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by LilSmith55(m): 4:04pm On Dec 20, 2018
EbukaHades10:

Yinmu

Your drone go fly tire for air go rest for one corner because nobody go take am serious

3 Likes

Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by Jonadull: 4:06pm On Dec 20, 2018
kunleweb:

Bombs indeed. It can be scanned. If uts bombd the more reason it should and can be attacked at high altitude
Lmao
Re: "Idiots" With Drones Temporarily Shut Down Gatwick Airport (Photo) by Jeromejnr(m): 4:06pm On Dec 20, 2018
EbukaHades10:

grin

That Pic ehn.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Truck Collides With Bus In Agulu, Anambra,16 Killed (Graphic Photos) / I Don’t Think I Can Live In Another Country Apart From Nigeria / People Killed In Kaduna As Driver Was Evading FRSC Officials (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.