Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,581 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:28 PM

What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? (1159 Views)

My Car Is Killing Me. Please Help Me Before It Finishes Me. / 40 Ways You Might Be Killing Your Car... / See The Thousands Of Laptop Battery Cells Used In Tesla Car Battery Parks (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? by YOLO1(m): 1:55pm On Dec 20, 2018
Hello. Car experts. Kindly enlighten me on what could be running down my car battery always. I have a Nissan Vanette in which I use for commercial purpose but the battery always runs down after a month or two. I have bought new battery like 4 times this year. This December, this is the second battery am buying. Just took it to the battery charger to charge it for me now cos it has run down again. Am just so pissed off.
Please help proffer a solution to this incessant spending on car battery.
Re: What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? by Temidayo9(m): 2:01pm On Dec 20, 2018
Check your Alternators if its working very well.
Re: What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? by nurey(m): 2:05pm On Dec 20, 2018
YOLO1:
Hello. Car experts. Kindly enlighten me on what could be running down my car battery always. I have a Nissan Vanette in which I use for commercial purpose but the battery always runs down after a month or two. I have bought new battery like 4 times this year. This December, this is the second battery am buying. Just took it to the battery charger to charge it for me now cos it has run down again. Am just so pissed off.

I don't think it's the alternator due to the interval of total drainage Though you can still check it

I think you have a 3rd party unit installed which drains your battery or the issue is not ba3 but something else kick starter, fuel pump etc
Re: What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? by HeavenlyBang(m): 4:04pm On Dec 20, 2018
Did you install any new electronics of recent?
Re: What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? by YOLO1(m): 7:38pm On Dec 20, 2018
HeavenlyBang:
Did you install any new electronics of recent?
Nothing was installed. No electronics, no car radio, no AC
Re: What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? by YOLO1(m): 7:40pm On Dec 20, 2018
nurey:

I don't think it's the alternator due to the interval of total drainage Though you can still check it

I think you have a 3rd party unit installed which drains your battery or the issue is not ba3 but something else kick starter, fuel pump etc
Could it be the fuel pump? The fuel pump had issues like 3 months ago. Repaired it and it has started misbehaving again.
Re: What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? by YOLO1(m): 7:40pm On Dec 20, 2018
Temidayo9:
Check your Alternators if its working very well.
The alternator is okay.
Re: What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? by Nobody: 7:44pm On Dec 20, 2018
YOLO1:

The alternator is okay.
check fuses.alternator fuse.500 naira repair.
I hope i am right
Re: What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? by nurey(m): 7:57pm On Dec 20, 2018
YOLO1:

Could it be the fuel pump? The fuel pump had issues like 3 months ago. Repaired it and it has started misbehaving again.

from your write up it seems you are so sure it's the battery. But really you have to be elaborate about why you think it's battery.

To me a bad alternator will not charge your battery, a new battery with out receiving charge shouldn't last up to a day sef reason I struck out alternator

Next is the battery a new battery with right amps for your car should last 2 years for China/Korea and 5years plus for original US/European quality. I don't know how much you bought yours but starting price of car battery should be around 16k for 60AH, I don't know what amp you bought and what price whether is tokunbo or new.

Next is the battery charger guy, does his battery start your car once when you ask for his service or you wait for him to charge yours? if his battery is what you use to start your car after each episode then a fix your battery if car works for 10mins it would charge the battery enough for you to know what is faulty.

If your car is manual have you tried "push start" a little momentum and car starts point to battery, but when they have to push for like 3 times and car starts a slow crank to life then it's not battery but something else.
Re: What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? by ZIMDRILL(m): 7:58pm On Dec 20, 2018
YOLO1:

can you make something clear when you say "I have bought new battery like 4 times this year." do you mean new batteries or used once ?
becoz you said "Just took it to the battery charger to charge it for me" a brand new battery doesnt need charging it should be able to start the car and the charging get done by the car's alternator
Re: What Could Be Killing My Car Battery? by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:21pm On Dec 20, 2018
YOLO1:

Nothing was installed. No electronics, no car radio, no AC

Weird. Likely culprits:

1. Alternator
2: Battery connectors/terminals
3: Battery

Troubleshoot.

(1) (Reply)

Peeps.. Which Nigeria Used Car Can I Get With 1.4 Million Naira Budget / Honda Dc 2007 Extremely Clean / What Happened To My Car AC? Please Help

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.