Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,931 members, 7,799,135 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me (22339 Views)

Debt Is Depressing Me / How My Sexuality Is Depressing Me / How Do I Stop Or Reduce Stammering.... Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Drock49: 6:36pm On Dec 20, 2018
Hi, everyone, am tobi from ogun state, a tall guy in his early twenties, I'm a stammerer from birth but recently i have been noticing that it's been getting worse, I can't talk anymore in public without the fear of embarrassing myself.

Everytime am on the net, searching for "How to stop Stammering" but up till now, no improvement, I have tried all method, but still no improvement, Each time I go out to buy something, I usually embarrass myself, sometimes I overhear people saying, is he deaf and dumb?

I have few friends I talk to regularly, they do understand but not everyone understands, it wasn't as bad as this early this year or in the middle of the year, I just can't explain, Usually I talk fast, but people advise me to calm down while talking but even though I try to calm down I still end up Stammering, am frustrated, nothing is working, its even leading me to suicidal thoughts, am just tired,

Ignore my typos, am just frustrated

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Alexk2(m): 6:53pm On Dec 20, 2018
It's not a disease neither is it a curse my brother. You're unique and amazing just the way you are and I encourage you to love yourself first and never let anyone put you down. There'll be people who won't understand or who choose to display there ignorant; ignore them and just live your life happily as much as possible. You'll get better or learn to overcome that challenge by keep talking wherever and whenever possible not to keeping quite....so face the fear and learn to enjoy doing so. God is your strength.

282 Likes 13 Shares

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Drock49: 6:56pm On Dec 20, 2018
Alexk2:
It's not a disease neither is it a curse my brother. You're unique and amazing just the way you are and I encourage you to love yourself first and never let anyone put you down. There'll be people who won't understand or who choose to display there ignorant; ignore them and just live your life happily as much as possible. You'll get better or learn to overcome that challenge by keep talking wherever and whenever possible not to keeping quite....so face the fear and learn to enjoy doing so. God is your strength.
thanks man

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by justdogitto: 9:00pm On Dec 20, 2018
Don't be depressed bro. No one is born perfect and you didn't create yourself!
I got this online for you! Remember there are dumb people that would want to trade your place.. Take it easy on yourself.. All will be well

You can control and overcome fear of stuttering, speak fluently. You can also improve your nature of speak, such as - don't speak fast, do concentrate on phrase or words. You can improve your nature of speech by practicing some methods, they are: -

1. Physically and Mentally relax

In this method, you can throw the stress and don’t worry about stuttering. You should relax your body and mind, this is as meditation.

2. Stand In Front of Mirror

You can improve your speech or talking with practicing this method. in this method you can stand in front of the mirror and imagine the person in the mirror being someone else, and talking to that person with control your emotions, practice to talk in normal way, concentrate and confident when talking and speech in a flow. By this practice you can improve your speech.

3. Visualization

Imagine those words in your mind before you are going to say. by practicing it is very easy to you and is really very helpful to you.

4. Reading Books

Read books loudly, by this practice you can improve balancing of breath while talking.

5. Breathing Exercises

You can try some breathing exercises to make speech easier.

152 Likes 6 Shares

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Nobody: 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2018
Get a speech therapist. That's all.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by oluwatosink: 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2018
live on..
try as much to reduce your stammering. When you are with people..
Continue like that...
And see what will happen ..
And don't be shy ..
just continue talking..
it will shock when you will start speaking correctly..

2 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by lekjons(m): 9:01pm On Dec 20, 2018
[You really have to calm down..

You don't have to be frustrated about something that's out of your control..

Many people has some sort of "I'm gonna kill myself" problem at some point in their lives, you have yours, I've got mine, you just have to deal with it like everybody else..

6 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by MANNABBQGRILLS: 9:02pm On Dec 20, 2018
This helped someone we know , hope it will help you too....

Stammer intentionally when you are alone. There is a vast neurological scientific reason. You do not need to find the reason as of now. Just stammer with purpose for next 2 months. You will see the difference.

When you are listening to someone or sitting in a group, do not focus on voice and sound of others. Focus on messages and perceive the environment in visualization mode and not on sound mode.

Hope we can come up with more helpful tips later......

It will end in praise Tobi!

41 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by traihit: 9:02pm On Dec 20, 2018
Wow...
This is something that's getting depressed over because I imagine how I'd feel having speech difficulty of any kind. I'm not a speech pathologist o but bro, maybe you can try talking to yourself when you're alone. That way, you'll communicate without any inhibition and you can even sing aloud when alone. If you're able to do that for some time, you'd see your speech confidence level filling up and you'll see improvements.

12 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by NotBeenPaid: 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2018

I stuttered when I was a kid. Remembered my parents always threatening to beat me up if I ever stutter.

Methinks your parents didn't helped you in correcting this flaws while you were growing up.

5 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Tonnierichy(m): 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2018
I'm also a stammerer so I know what it's like to be one. But nigga, you gotta chill out and be patient with yourself. It gets worse sometimes and subsides again later. Don't let it put you down and bury your potentials. Consider it a puzzle you have to solve to become successful in life. God always has a plan. Never forget that

29 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by jomoh: 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2018
That’s pitiful
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Nobody: 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2018
Just stop talking fast... Infact limit your talk, these days I even have nothing to say to anyone.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by mmadu5(m): 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2018
dude , people are dying of AIDS , CANCER , HEPATITIS and many more , your ONLY worried about being a stammerer ., ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

7 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by remi4ever(m): 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2018
Oh man!! I can relate, my uncle stammers too!!

The lord is your shepherd, As earlier stated, You need to see a speech therapist..
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Vincad: 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2018
You can try talking to a speech therapist.

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by njokuuche77(m): 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2018
Bro you dont need to feel bad about your condition. You are not alone. never allow what u feel as a challenge to hinder you.
The secret is never rush your words, stay calm always .
Focus on breathing before a prolongedd speech. Make a conscious effort to always feel relax when talking. If when speaking and it starts, just pause a while, take a deep breathe, and you will be just fine.
It could be bad atimes, and we tend to get angry easily. But trust me, you will get past those stages if you apply what ive mentioned. always try to take charge of your emotions and be open minded. Sometimes it comes, but not as bad as before.
Dont alow it to ruin your confidence please.
Use it to your advantage.

17 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by bellooyin(f): 9:03pm On Dec 20, 2018
No big deal in stammering, learn to appreciate yourself, some people can't even talk

9 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by thesicilian: 9:04pm On Dec 20, 2018
bellooyin:
No big deal in stammering, learn to appreciate yourself, some people can't even talk
This mentality, while it may be temporarily good for your peace of mind, usually leads to serious mediocrity and contentment with the abnormal. The fact that someone has a bigger problem than yours does not mean you shouldn't take steps to fix it.

51 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by sonofanarchy(m): 9:05pm On Dec 20, 2018
grin op you are a freak be happy about it.. after all buhari is a freak
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Nobody: 9:05pm On Dec 20, 2018
From your post, you don't want to agree that being slow while talking is a solution. You need to learn how to talk slowly. There are people who have overcame it.

2 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Ziel20: 9:05pm On Dec 20, 2018
Suicide because u r stammering? If I tell u my problems suicide will disappear from ur thoughts.

6 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Heineken(m): 9:05pm On Dec 20, 2018
Man don't kill yourself because of stammer. Other people own worst....some na child them need, some na money, some na wife, some na husband, some na bad health...my own na job I need. Don't give up. At a point too I been get this suicidal thought but God go dey help us. No kill yourself o

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by SmileXtraone: 9:05pm On Dec 20, 2018
>:
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Unlimited22: 9:05pm On Dec 20, 2018
thornapple:
Get a speech therapist. That's all.
God will bless you. We've ignored the services of speech therapists, optometrists, physiotherapists, podiatrists and chiropractors for too long.

4 Likes

bellooyin:
Good Advice
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Ifeconwaba(m): 9:05pm On Dec 20, 2018
remove anxiety and fear when ever you want to talk also talk slowly don't rush

6 Likes

It has come to my notice that when a nairaland needs help on a delicate issue he opens a new account.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by StFrankeinstein(m): 9:05pm On Dec 20, 2018
Just pray and ask God to help you, He will, trust me.
Stammering is no deficiency at all. It's just a matter of time you will get over bro.

I urge you not to feel bad or dejected. You're special bro. Take care.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Unlimited22: 9:06pm On Dec 20, 2018
Ziel20:

Suicide because u r stammering? If I tell u my problems suicide will disappear from ur thoughts.
It's not a competition of suffering. Not everyone handles issues like you.
I pray your issues get resolved tho. It'll. Be well.

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Victoria Irabor, Wife Of Chief Of Defense Writes About Life Of A Military Wife / Massive Fire In Kirikiri Town Lagos (Photos) / Husband Flees As Wife Delivers Triplets In Enugu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.