Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,873 members, 7,806,493 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 05:14 PM

My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me (22356 Views)

Debt Is Depressing Me / How My Sexuality Is Depressing Me / How Do I Stop Or Reduce Stammering.... Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Drock49: 9:44pm On Dec 20, 2018
actualization:
U can get over it.....take solution of bitter cola in HOT. water..2/3 cut into pcs twice a week....God can heal u.....I was one ... before
does this really works?
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by princetom1(m): 9:44pm On Dec 20, 2018
Lexusgs430, sinaj, There is hope for Nigeria o... I swear, this is the first time am seeing a thread on front page that isn't filled with tribalism hate, blames, bigotry, abuses... Wow, am really impressed

Cc: dominique, GAZZUZZ

2 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Blackie46(m): 9:46pm On Dec 20, 2018
I understand what you are going through. However you can learn how to use more words during discussion. For example if you want to say 'family' and you begin to stammer, just look for a synonym like 'relative' and continue your conversation. It works for me, though myn is a mild stammer. Goodluck
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by tim1256(m): 9:46pm On Dec 20, 2018
NotBeenPaid:

I stuttered when I was a kid. Remembered my parents always threatening to beat me up if I ever stutter.

Methinks your parents didn't helped you in correcting this flaws while you were growing up.

I disagree with your second sentence, it's not about correction, it's just natural, there's no medical solution because it's not a disease.

As a fellow stammerer, I'll advise you to always talk, it'll get better as time goes on.
I had to get teaching job to help myself in this
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by xtervaganza(m): 9:48pm On Dec 20, 2018
Drock49:
Hi, everyone, am tobi from ogun state, a tall guy in his early twenties, I'm a stammerer from birth but recently i have been noticing that it's been getting worse, I can't talk anymore in public without the fear of embarrassing myself.

Everytime am on the net, searching for "How to stop Stammering" but up till now, no improvement, I have tried all method, but still no improvement, Each time I go out to buy something, I usually embarrass myself, sometimes I overhear people saying, is he deaf and dumb?

I have few friends I talk to regularly, they do understand but not everyone understands, it wasn't as bad as this early this year or in the middle of the year, I just can't explain, Usually I talk fast, but people advise me to calm down while talking but even though I try to calm down I still end up Stammering, am frustrated, nothing is working, its even leading me to suicidal thoughts, am just tired,

Ignore my typos, am just frustrated
hello. My name is also Tobi from Ogun state but I was born and bred in Ibadan.

Here's what I have to say........ You're young, tall and healthy. But you're depressed over your speech problem? Do you know people go through worse daily? Some are battling terminal illness. Some financial ruin and you're here crying over your low speech. See, I'm not insensitive to your plight. I quite understand you and how you feel but trust me, it's not the worst thing in the world. Millions of people will gladly trade places with you.

You need to appreciate life and see what's good in it and find a way to make it better. I myself I have physical limitations ( no one on earth is perfect physically) but guess what? I found a way to make the most of it. Right now I can 100% boldly my physical limitations is no longer a problem.

As for your stuttering, I think you're putting too much thoughts into it and that's why it's getting worse. Anxiety is what you have and it surely makes stuttering worse. It may shock you to know MKO Abiola and Ayinde Barrister stuttered but they found a way to overcome . Trust me, if you can relax yourself b4 talking it will get better. Or even memorise the things you want to say b4 saying it.

And it's 2018! Who gives a crap about that? I laugh at myself b4 anybody does so I practically neutralised what anybody has to say about me.

Live life and have fun

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by dejavuh0007(m): 9:49pm On Dec 20, 2018
everybody get him own for body o. op ur own na stammering, my own na pimples. some of us r having it rough aswear.

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by dannyyol2018: 9:50pm On Dec 20, 2018
You can hold your breathe for few seconds before u talk....this helps a lot
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Mintmoney(m): 9:51pm On Dec 20, 2018
Hey man there's no point getting depressed. I think you are letting the world get at you for no reason. The only reason you think your situation is worse is because yours is easy for everyone to notice, there are people living with worser conditions than you can ever imagine and will secretly be willing to switch place with you.

I can imagine your pain bro but then it's never enough to ever get your self depressed.

My point is life is never fair, we are all f***d up in some way.

Stay alive man.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by adabsmith(m): 9:51pm On Dec 20, 2018
Drock49:
Hi, everyone, am tobi from ogun state, a tall guy in his early twenties, I'm a stammerer from birth but recently i have been noticing that it's been getting worse, I can't talk anymore in public without the fear of embarrassing myself.

Everytime am on the net, searching for "How to stop Stammering" but up till now, no improvement, I have tried all method, but still no improvement, Each time I go out to buy something, I usually embarrass myself, sometimes I overhear people saying, is he deaf and dumb?

I have few friends I talk to regularly, they do understand but not everyone understands, it wasn't as bad as this early this year or in the middle of the year, I just can't explain, Usually I talk fast, but people advise me to calm down while talking but even though I try to calm down I still end up Stammering, am frustrated, nothing is working, its even leading me to suicidal thoughts, am just tired,

Just be calm and talk very slowly, it works for everyone I knew
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by madjune(m): 9:52pm On Dec 20, 2018
Just chill.

I can understand what you're going through because you're not alone.

One can't f fully explain the cause of this speech disorder because that's what it is and not a problem.

To some extent, it means you're created uniquely.
Also, to some extent, it means you will have to work twice as much than others in delivery.

It's just life and not fair.

Now, to deal with this, follow me.

Whenever you're in the company of smooth talkers, listen more, speak less.
Nature has an understated call for you to be a thinker and doer.

Learn to be calm and hardly nervous.
And, never be conscious of how you sound.
Once you get conscious or excited over how you sound, you will lose it.

Also, you will start adapting your own unique speech pattern.
Speak one word slowly, followed by the other.
Always speak slowly.
Try this for 8 months and before you realize it, it will become a habit.
By then, you will find out you've developed an alternate speech pattern which is yours.

So many great actors once had this problem.
They developed their pattern by doing exactly what I'm telling you.

James Earl Jones of Coming to America is one.
Sylvester Stallone is also one.

Try and study how they speak.
You will notice they stay calm before talking and they speak as if every word has a weight in their mouth.

Its all nature bro.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Nobody: 9:53pm On Dec 20, 2018
Alexk2:
It's not a disease neither is it a curse my brother. You're unique and amazing just the way you are and I encourage you to love yourself first and never let anyone put you down. There'll be people who won't understand or who choose to display there ignorant; ignore them and just live your life happily as much as possible. You'll get better or learn to overcome that challenge by keep talking wherever and whenever possible not to keeping quite....so face the fear and learn to enjoy doing so. God is your strength.

Be chopping your tongue na....

Just kiddin, bro....lolz. Welcome to the club, fellow. Me dey even shake body weneva I stutter.

I'm now 95% OKAY....THANK GOD for CANNABIS SATIVA. NO SMOKE.....just brew it in tea & den drink it b4 bedtimes!

#WEEDzLIFE

NB: I write under influence.......

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by jerrybliss(m): 9:54pm On Dec 20, 2018
Ask God for help. He did it for me. Am not joking. With d pain u feel go on ur knee and ask him for help.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by harriet412(f): 9:55pm On Dec 20, 2018
Hello drock49,

Hey, its alright... Biko don't think of suicidal thoughts
If u need someone to talk to, h fan send a PM
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Drock49: 9:58pm On Dec 20, 2018
xtervaganza:
hello. My name is also Tobi from Ogun state but I was born and bred in Ibadan.

Here's what I have to say........ You're young, tall and healthy. But you're depressed over your speech problem? Do you know people go through worse daily? Some are battling terminal illness. Some financial ruin and you're here crying over your low speech. See, I'm not insensitive to your plight. I quite understand you and how you feel but trust me, it's not the worst thing in the world. Millions of people will gladly trade places with you.

You need to appreciate life and see what's good in it and find a way to make it better. I myself I have physical limitations ( no one on earth is perfect physically) but guess what? I found a way to make the most of it. Right now I can 100% boldly my physical limitations is no longer a problem.

As for your stuttering, I think you're putting too much thoughts into it and that's why it's getting worse. Anxiety is what you have and it surely makes stuttering worse. It may shock you to know MKO Abiola and Ayinde Barrister stuttered but they found a way to overcome . Trust me, if you can relax yourself b4 talking it will get better. Or even memorise the things you want to say b4 saying it.

And it's 2018! Who gives a crap about that? I laugh at myself b4 anybody does so I practically neutralised what anybody has to say about me.

Live life and have fun
u fully understand my problem, I give so much thought, exactly what I was looking for

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Cheekah212(m): 9:58pm On Dec 20, 2018
Alexk2:
It's not a disease neither is it a curse my brother. You're unique and amazing just the way you are and I encourage you to love yourself first and never let anyone put you down. There'll be people who won't understand or who choose to display there ignorant; ignore them and just live your life happily as much as possible. You'll get better or learn to overcome that challenge by keep talking wherever and whenever possible not to keeping quite....so face the fear and learn to enjoy doing so. God is your strength.
Kind words. God bless you.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Nobody: 9:58pm On Dec 20, 2018
Come to Salvation Ministries and God will heal you. You can hook up @ www.smhos.org
Drock49:

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Drock49: 10:00pm On Dec 20, 2018
lordskid:

Just kiddin, bro....lolz. Welcome to the club, fellow. Me dey even shake body weneva I stutter.

I'm now 95% OKAY....THANK GOD for CANNABIS SATIVA. NO SMOKE.....just brew it in tea & den drink it b4 bedtimes!

#WEEDzLIFE

can I get your number
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Toks2008(m): 10:02pm On Dec 20, 2018
Drock49:
Lmao grin grin why are you like this?

Best advise ever.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by orobs93(m): 10:03pm On Dec 20, 2018
Talk slowly and calmly never rush and try to always talk in good English it works for every one
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by adabsmith(m): 10:05pm On Dec 20, 2018
Ukoma9:
Come to Salvation Ministries and God will heal you. You can hook up @ www.smhos.org
what's all this nonsense? angry

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by mrkel(m): 10:07pm On Dec 20, 2018
I also stutter as well. Mine is genetic as my grand father, father, one of my sibling and cousins are stammerer. Now here is the trick on how to bring the situation to check. Always take a deep breathe whenever you want to engage in discussion. And also learn to pick you words, which is by talking slowing. Also learn to deploy your hands as a support structure when talking that way it enable you to have seamless control of your speech.

one way I was able to control mine was in always engaging myself in leadership position that would bring me in the spotlight. That way I learned to control it and to build confidence in myself.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Nobody: 10:09pm On Dec 20, 2018
Drock49:

May God bless the mod that moved this to the front Page. I wouldn't have come across this.

My colleague in the stammering world. Don't feel bad anymore. Here comes the solution you crave for.

You are not alone and Stammering is not the end of the world.

I Tamethem was a very bad stammerer and I will tell you how it stopped. Yours too will stop.

I grew up to know I was stammering, how I started I don't know and it made me a shy, easy going person.

I was brilliant as a kid but as much as I hated stammering I couldn't stop it. And it was kind of killing me inside.

I would know questions asked in the class as a kid but would be afraid to raise my hand up out of fear of not wanting to be a ridicule.

People would cross my part, offend me but I would be calm and let them go because if we should be asked to come and explain ourselves. I would not be able to make a sentence more so when you are angry and annoyed.And I might end up being cautioned despite being on my right.

This went on till when I was in form one in the early 80s . My Dad of blessed memory used to buy Daily Newspapers everyday and it used to be Two types every day. One day I held Vanguard Newspapers and I saw the Title "How to stop Stuttering" I love reading and I didn't know the meaning of Stuttering so I read it out of curiosity.

And that was what God used to heal me.

In the article it was stated that Stuttering is another word for Stammering and Every stammerer is an intelligent person ( Creative Person) They have lots of ideas upstairs . The cause of stammering is the Clash of ideas. Stammerers are not patient people also.

So in wanting to talk, they want to deliver two, three or four ideas at a go. Which is not possible it has to be one after the other. This is the cause of Stammering.

I am a creative person truly. I can do virtually everything. From fixing pipes and connecting pipes like a plumber, to fixing electrical errors at home, to Barbing like a professional, singing and singing beautifully, I compose Songs and write poems and even stories. I am the best story teller in the world to my kids and my nephews and nieces. I used to be a good dancer also in the 80s during the Break Dance erra. Etc etc etc. Like seriously.

Now in the writeup they listed the ways to stop stammering and I promised myself to practice all and when I did ,it gradually stopped.

Two weeks back I was telling a friend that I used to be a very bad stammerer and he said its a lie. But this is true.

Now follow these steps like I did and you will thank God you read this piece.

1. Go on your knees and pray to God to help you to stop. Include the request in your daily prayer everyday. By doing this you keep telling God how important it is for you to stop and at the same time you are reminding yourself you need to practice the rules.

2. Remember we stammerers are impatient people, so we need to practice patience in every thing we do. Patience is important to change our character.

3. When ever you want to talk think of what you want to say, be sure this is what you want to say before you open your mouth. Be sure of each sentence in your mind before you open your mouth.

4. Now open your mouth and pick your words one after the other . Don't say for example "I want to go to the market" that is the normal way for the normal ppl,

We are not like them, we are special ppl full of ideas and without patience grin

So say it like. " I - want - to - go - to - the - market" one after the other ,no rushing. Don't be shy to talk this way Pick those words in each sentence one after the other. Practice it frequently while alone, while praying to God and while with friends that understand your situation. As you do you gain confidence and rediscover your self.

5. Lastly don't be anxious , be calm when talking and don't think about it as a problem or thinking of the people around, what are they thinking of me. Enjoy your new way of talking having it in mind that you are progressing .

If you do all these bro. You will just discover one day that you are speaking faster gradually and the rate at which you stammer is reducing by the day until its all gone.

Today I don't stammer unless I am angryand talking furiously to ppl. Besides hardly would you know I was once a BAAAAD STAMMERER. And I talk as fast as everyone. I don't pick my words anymore.

You will soon be like me and regain your confidence.

In Jesus Name

Much love from Tamethem your fellow Stutterer. grin

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by od501: 10:11pm On Dec 20, 2018
Drock49:

Guy you u dy craze oo. Suicidal thought kee! See... I stutter myself, and mine is very visible but I come to find out that what I lack in speech i make up in other areas. Trust me right now there is absolutely nothing i cannot do, IT, politics, you name it. I realize dt my cognitive intellect performs faster and better than others so I built upon it, developed it into what I am today. According to your story you tried all you can but to no avail, just don't push it any further cos that's how you are; what you resist, persists! Forget about being the "flow rider" and build upon the current situation. A gal once teased me about my stuttering, and jokingly interrupted her with "so you me to stop my symbol of greatness"?...lol. But then that's the point, every unique thing is bound to be different. Look inwards find that which makes you stand then build upon it, develop it, only then you will understand the real meaning of uniqueness. I have seen two top bank managers who are chronic stammerers yet they are well respected in their field , you are what you make of yourself and that's exactly how people will be seeing. As for ladies trust me when you get back your self confidence, every other thing will follow. Welcome to the club.. Lol.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Drock49: 10:13pm On Dec 20, 2018
Joybringer:
Drink a glass cup of pregnant woman urine in the morning, afternoon and evening consecutively for 9 months. Thank me later.
lmao cheesy grin
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by BroCode432: 10:14pm On Dec 20, 2018
I feel the heat as well cos I also stutter. However, it's not stopped me from being happy with myself cos I've learned to accept what I can't change and it's really helped a great deal to curtail it. The point here is, be HAPPY with yourself. Appreciate yourself. You're only gonna start realising the stuttering is diminishing.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by nattty(m): 10:14pm On Dec 20, 2018
Su su susu su suici suicide issss is not not an an an an opt opt option bro bro brother grin.. Jokes apart bro, You got to love yourself don't forget Moses the God chosen to lead the isrealites from the Egyptian was also stammering but God used him powerfully..Bro God has huge plans 4u..love u man smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Drock49: 10:17pm On Dec 20, 2018
tamethem:

May God bless the mod that moved this to the front Page. I wouldn't have come across this.

My colleague in the stammering world. Don't feel bad anymore. Here comes the solution you crave for.

You are not alone and Stammering is not the end of the world.

I Tamethem was a very bad stammerer and I will tell you how it stopped. Yours too will stop.

I grew up to know I was stammering, how I started I don't know and it made me a shy, easy going person.

I was brilliant as a kid but as much as I hated stammering I couldn't stop it. And it was kind of killing me inside.

I would know questions asked in the class as a kid but would be afraid to raise my hand up out of fear of not wanting to be a ridicule.

People would cross my part, offend me but I would be calm and let them go because if we should be asked to come and explain ourselves. I would not be able to make a sentence more so when you are angry and annoyed.And I might end up being cautioned despite being on my right.

This went on till when I was in form one in the early 80s . My Dad of blessed memory used to buy Daily Newspapers everyday and it used to be Two types every day. One day I held Vanguard Newspapers and I saw the Title "How to stop Stuttering" I love reading and I didn't know the meaning of Stuttering so I read it out of curiosity.

And that was what God used to heal me.

In the article it was stated that Stuttering is another word for Stammering and Every stammerer is an intelligent person ( Creative Person) They have lots of ideas upstairs . The cause of stammering is the Clash of ideas. Stammerers are not patient people also.

So in wanting to talk, they want to deliver two, three or four ideas at a go. Which is not possible it has to be one after the other. This is the cause of Stammering.

I am a creative person truly. I can do virtually everything. From fixing pipes and connecting pipes like a plumber, to fixing electrical errors at home, to Barbing like a professional, singing and singing beautifully, I compose Songs and write poems and even stories. I am the best story teller in the world to my kids and my nephews and nieces. I used to be a good dancer also in the 80s during the Break Dance erra. Etc etc etc. Like seriously.

Now in the writeup they listed the ways to stop stammering and I promised myself to practice all and when I did ,it gradually stopped.

Two weeks back I was telling a friend that I used to be a very bad stammerer and he said its a lie. But this is true.

Now follow these steps like I did and you will thank God you read this piece.

1. Go on your knees and pray to God to help you to stop. Include the request in your daily prayer everyday. By doing this you keep telling God how important it is for you to stop and at the same time you are reminding yourself you need to practice the rules.

2. Remember we stammerers are impatient people, so we need to practice patience in every thing we do. Patience is important to change our character.

3. When ever you want to talk think of what you want to say, be sure this is what you want to say before you open your mouth. Be sure of each sentence in your mind before you open your mouth.

4. Now open your mouth and pick your words one after the other . Don't say for example "I want to go to the market" that is the normal way for the normal ppl,

We are not like them, we are special ppl full of ideas and without patience grin

So say it like. " I - want - to - go - to - the - market" one after the other ,no rushing. Don't be shy to talk this way Pick those words in each sentence one after the other. Practice it frequently while alone, while praying to God and while with friends that understand your situation. As you do you gain confidence and rediscover your self.

5. Lastly don't be anxious , be calm when talking and don't think about it as a problem or thinking of the people around, what are they thinking of me. Enjoy your new way of talking having it in mind that you are progressing .

If you do all these bro. You will just discover one day that you are speaking faster gradually and the rate at which you stammer is reducing by the day until its all gone.

Today I don't stammer unless I am angrily and talking furiously to ppl. Besides hardly would you know I was once a BAAAAD STAMMERER. And I talk as fast as everyone. I don't pick my words anymore.

You will soon be like me and regain your confidence.

In Jesus Name

Much love from Tamethem your fellow Stutterer. grin
thanks so much, I appreciate
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Deman05(m): 10:18pm On Dec 20, 2018
Keep being strong...Go spiritually@ smhos.org
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by mechanics(m): 10:18pm On Dec 20, 2018
Don't ever think of suicide, it's evil and sin against God, you can read about Saul and you know the end result, pray to God and and Him to take that burden away, nothing is impossible in the sight of God.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Nobody: 10:20pm On Dec 20, 2018
lordskid:

#WEEDzLIFE

grin

This is not a joking matter. Igbo can't stop stammering
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by nuroegbu(m): 10:20pm On Dec 20, 2018
Hey Tobi, I totally understand how u feel and how frustrating it could be.. I'll advice u check YouTube for an advice for stuttering by Steve Harvey.. Trust me its helpful and follow it religiously and I pray it works for u..

Drock49:

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by oderinde151(m): 10:23pm On Dec 20, 2018
Joybringer:
Drink a glass cup of pregnant woman urine in the morning, afternoon and evening consecutively for 9 months. Thank me later.
telling that you are mad is an understatement ajeh angry angry

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Husband Flees As Wife Delivers Triplets In Enugu / TeHN's 2nd Annual End Of Year Charity Flight / Review Of The Lontor Rechargeable Fan And The USB Portable Fan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 119
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.