Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,573 members, 7,809,090 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me - Nairaland / General (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me (22363 Views)

Debt Is Depressing Me / How My Sexuality Is Depressing Me / How Do I Stop Or Reduce Stammering.... Pls Help (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Ayobami7(m): 12:27am On Dec 21, 2018
我大河内宣布
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Bollaskem(f): 12:36am On Dec 21, 2018
Go and buy a church bell ring,a original one,wake up at early morning put water into it,pray about your condition and etc,after the prayer,drink the water and rang the bell for 7times...do it continues for 3 month...it will reduced.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Buke26: 12:48am On Dec 21, 2018
Go and watch the movie
"The Kings Speech"

You won't regret it
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Felixv: 12:53am On Dec 21, 2018
This is not a new problem and unfortunately there is no cure.

What you can do is first -learn to control your anxiety,the more nervous you are the more you will stammer
don't think too much of the words you are trying to articulate -learn to let your words flow

Ignore the fact that you stammer and just speak -you will be amazed at the flow of your words.

Most importantly speak slowly and clearly.

2 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Nobody: 2:00am On Dec 21, 2018
adabsmith:
what's all this nonsense? angry

Shebi nah person wey see hand go Dey type?
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Buffalowings3(m): 2:20am On Dec 21, 2018
Swargu:
Just stop talking fast... Infact limit your talk, these days I even have nothing to say to anyone.
grin cheesy
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by benji263(m): 2:42am On Dec 21, 2018
Hey man!! I am a stammerer from birth just like you. I also discovered that too; its usually becomes difficult to speak during the last three month of the year, its normal bro. Being a stammerer is not a curse bro, we are special. I am 23 years old but I have achieved a lot of things. Could you believe that I teach, Yes I do. When I was in secondary school, I organize extra lessons for the students and talk to 20+ people. Same, when I was in the university and I was also the class rep of my class(And I was awarded the best class rep of my faculty). My bro! I turn the stammering around to be my STRENGTH bro.. LET NOTHING STOP YOU BRO!!!

10 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by kingxsamz(m): 2:54am On Dec 21, 2018
thesicilian:

This mentality, while it may be temporarily good for your peace of mind, usually leads to serious mediocrity and contentment with the abnormal. The fact that someone has a bigger problem than yours does not mean you shouldn't take steps to fix it.

Best quote of the year.
May you live long for this.

I hate it when people say it that way.
So because other people are suffering more than I am, I should be comfortable with my situation?

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by HisMajesty1(m): 3:35am On Dec 21, 2018
Drock49:

it wasn't as bad as this early this year or in the middle of the year, I just can't explain, Usually I talk fast, but people advise me to calm down while talking but even though I try to calm down I still end up Stammering, am frustrated, nothing is working, its even leading me to suicidal thoughts, am just tired,

Ignore my typos, am just frustrated
The reason it got worse this year is because you are thinking of it more than before. That is you care more conscious of it now. Worry increases a problem. Think less of it and live your life. Stammering isn't such a big deal.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by deebrain(m): 3:39am On Dec 21, 2018
Alexk2:
It's not a disease neither is it a curse my brother. You're unique and amazing just the way you are and I encourage you to love yourself first and never let anyone put you down. There'll be people who won't understand or who choose to display there ignorant; ignore them and just live your life happily as much as possible. You'll get better or learn to overcome that challenge by keep talking wherever and whenever possible not to keeping quite....so face the fear and learn to enjoy doing so. God is your strength.

Best comment
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by ijemishkisic(m): 4:06am On Dec 21, 2018
Even Moses that led the Israelites was a stammerer. I know of my 2 friends long ago that has same problem and they improved over time that no one notices it easily.

Practice calming down when speaking, also try to practice singing and reading aloud with calm composure.

Always eat cooked snails without salt or spice. Just take big snails on its shell, after washing u boil it directly on the pot. Then u allow to cool and eat it like that without anything added, then u keep using the shell to drink water as ur cup for like 2days and change another. Keep doing it as much as u can afford snails each day or some few days interval. It will help u over time like in 3 months.

Even many who talk freely without stammering always talk rubbish. So it doesn't matter ur stuttering, just be composed and stay strong.
Wish u the best!

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by chinchum(m): 4:13am On Dec 21, 2018
Drock49:
Hi, everyone, am tobi from ogun state, a tall guy in his early twenties, I'm a stammerer from birth but recently i have been noticing that it's been getting worse, I can't talk anymore in public without the fear of embarrassing myself.

Everytime am on the net, searching for "How to stop Stammering" but up till now, no improvement, I have tried all method, but still no improvement, Each time I go out to buy something, I usually embarrass myself, sometimes I overhear people saying, is he deaf and dumb?

I have few friends I talk to regularly, they do understand but not everyone understands, it wasn't as bad as this early this year or in the middle of the year, I just can't explain, Usually I talk fast, but people advise me to calm down while talking but even though I try to calm down I still end up Stammering, am frustrated, nothing is working, its even leading me to suicidal thoughts, am just tired,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ4XNEDSKWY

Please see this video and listen to steve Harvey a celebrity who used to stutter so bad .
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by calabaman(m): 4:39am On Dec 21, 2018
Drock49:
Hi, everyone, am tobi from ogun state, a tall guy in his early twenties, I'm a stammerer from birth but recently i have been noticing that it's been getting worse, I can't talk anymore in public without the fear of embarrassing myself.

Everytime am on the net, searching for "How to stop Stammering" but up till now, no improvement, I have tried all method, but still no improvement, Each time I go out to buy something, I usually embarrass myself, sometimes I overhear people saying, is he deaf and dumb?

I have few friends I talk to regularly, they do understand but not everyone understands, it wasn't as bad as this early this year or in the middle of the year, I just can't explain, Usually I talk fast, but people advise me to calm down while talking but even though I try to calm down I still end up Stammering, am frustrated, nothing is working, its even leading me to suicidal thoughts, am just tired,

Hello,

I used to be just like you. Unable to say a word without everyone looking at me in pity and disdain. But I overcame it and even worked in a contact center where i spoke with thousands of people across the country for many years.

Inbox me your number, let me call you so we can talk.. I assure you its not over for you.

Cheers.

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by AbokiAlhaji1: 6:07am On Dec 21, 2018
Hey bruv, I got promoted to the position of a supervisor after series of one on one interview with top managers in my Coy. My immediate manager has never stopped giving me the opportunity to take my colleagues on our monthly learning sessions.

And guess what? I stammers. I was not born as one but grew up knowing I did. What has been helping me is that I have never allowed it hold me back from expressing myself where ever & when ever. You will be just fine. Focus & overcome
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by femi4: 6:18am On Dec 21, 2018
Drock49:

Talk slowly ...don't rush your words

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by patosky3310(m): 6:19am On Dec 21, 2018
Try to make gestures with your hands while talking.
Speak as though you are speaking in American or British English.
You will notice a reduction in your stammering. I used to be a stammerer as a kid but it disappeared. Some time last year, it wanted to come back, so I tried those methods and it was flushed out of my system. Please text me on your observation.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by itsemi04TM(m): 6:31am On Dec 21, 2018
You're just scares for nothing young man... I'm one also... Accept yourself and work on your speech control... Don't let anxiety kill you...

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by femi4: 6:39am On Dec 21, 2018
thornapple:
It has come to my notice that when a nairaland needs help on a delicate issue he opens a new account.
So that people don't use it against them in the future
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Rilwantalarape(m): 6:46am On Dec 21, 2018
Drock49:

Hmmm, bro, don’t let nothing weigh you down, I stutters really hard too and I know the struggles, Dont be scared, just let out your mind, if people notice you stutters, they won’t disturb much with talks and make sure to talk with people you’re comfortable with regularly, just say it.. it’s getting worse and depressing because you’re scared
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Nobody: 6:46am On Dec 21, 2018
Drock49:
thanks man

I'm sure you stammered while typing this grin

Sorry man embarassed
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by blazepascal(m): 6:49am On Dec 21, 2018
Guy thats a huge problem but u have to start talking like a baby and your fear is making it worst face ur fear and wipe ur tears
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by rottable(m): 7:43am On Dec 21, 2018
have you read Dr swatch book on stammering. my advise always slow your first word and always use your mouth to breath when making a speech.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Caramelllll: 7:45am On Dec 21, 2018
Live your life dear. You are you, get comfortable & be happy.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Nobody: 7:48am On Dec 21, 2018
lordskid:

Be chopping your tongue na....

Just kiddin, bro....lolz. Welcome to the club, fellow. Me dey even shake body weneva I stutter.

I'm now 95% OKAY....THANK GOD for CANNABIS SATIVA. NO SMOKE.....just brew it in tea & den drink it b4 bedtimes!

#WEEDzLIFE

NB: I write under influence.......
is this legit bro?
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Hayormeah(f): 7:56am On Dec 21, 2018
Drock49:
from where

The tobi I know lived in.....
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Rockyrascal(m): 7:57am On Dec 21, 2018
Some people have no tongue OP, and I mean a handful of people.
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Drock49: 8:27am On Dec 21, 2018
Hayormeah:

The tobi I know lived in sagamu.
not him
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Aliyahsrecipes(f): 8:35am On Dec 21, 2018
I've heard that this help but you still need to slow down when you're talking, you need to calm down don't even think about your stuttering. When you want to talk or reply to some you say it to yourself (not out loud) several times when you feel comfortable about saying it then you talk, again you need to calm down.
Talk more!!! if you don't have anyone to talk to, stand in front of a mirror and talk to yourself.
A speech therapist might also help.
I wish you all the best.

3 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Purplekush(m): 8:43am On Dec 21, 2018
Herodutus:
I stammer more when I speak with Igbo my native language. And I speak relatively free with I speak with English. So I talk more with English than Igbo. With that,people hardly know that am a stammerer. Learn d language that you van use to reduce the stermerin stuff just like my self. A lot of people think that I speak English always to show off, the really font know the reason for that...

Same as me. I Stammer like an idiot a lot more when speaking my native language.

But then reading this post made me realize Ive even forgotten I used to Stammer smiley

You see, people won't understand how depressing it is to be mocked EVERYTIME you air your opinion.

Or... How hurtful it feels to lose a case when you get wronged or hurt by a sibling/friend at school and you report it to a guardian, or parent.

The mere fact that the other person gained a fair judgement and you didn't, because you couldn't express yourself as fluent and fast as the other person is a feeling only a deaf & dumb person can relate to.

Before I dish out my solution or what I did to end my constant stammering, I want u (mightyhazell) to know that looking at the initial cause of your speech defect is the first step.

Mine started as early as 7 yrs after I began to imitate a chronic Stammer I met in church.

I was fascinated by his way of talking to the extent that I began to copy him so much that it automatically became my new thing.

Lol. It felt like music to my ears listening to a person repeat words over and over that I wanted to try it out and maybe even perfect it cheesy

... next thing you know, I'm talking like that from 7yrs till my mid 20s.

It got a bit more controlled from my 20s though.

I began to withdraw as a kid and keep to myself than face the ridiculous disaster of interacting with people (even family members)

I began to enjoy my own company and whenever I reacted to ANYTHING violently, I put in all my pent up emotions into my act.

I began to find a new way to release my unexpressible anger emotions (not through words now but in action).

Which is why I'm usually called a SLOW-POISON as kid.
Which also explains why stammers can be very violent when mad.

I literally drink water whenever I feel enraged in other to cool me down and prevent me from doing something totally crazy!

I remember once when I had a friend troll me all the way from class to the hostel after lectures during my undergrad years...

and I was crying inside me literally holding myself from picking up a Rock & Smashing his skull in.

I really worked on myself. And I'm impressed because it has gotten me this cool personality that stays calm with unruffled feathers even when a bomb drops! cool

This is something people who have a fluent speech pattern don't and will always NEVER understand.

My solution was to become my own self-therapist.

Like, I'm in love with being left alone.

I keep friends and socialize a lot but would prefer to be left alone at the end of the day.

I talk slowly even when I'm boiling red with anger (which is extremely annoying & constricting)

Imagine having to live your life never expressing your wrath because you're scared of what you'll do.

In fact, the best advice I'll give mightyhazell is this:

ALWAYS repeat your words in your mind several times before speaking them out.

And also repeat those same words in your mind (again) after you've already spoken the words.

You see...

I practiced this so much because it works so effectively that my brother has told me severally that I always repeat words silently after I make a sentence.

It sounded funny to me because I didn't even know I did it.

I just thought about it consciously now because for the first time in my life I've been reminded by this post how badly I held things inside because of my speech defect then.

But now it's totally gone!

I can't even remember the last time I repeated a word when talking.

So, patience is key here.
Extreme patience.
And slow repetition.

Talk. Very. Slowly.

And block off the fvcking insensitive friends and family who mock you about your defect.

You'll come out fine, trust me... Love you, bro #noHomo wink

2 Likes

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Skyfornia(m): 8:46am On Dec 21, 2018
My eldest brother is a chronic stammerer yet he was a lecturer for many years and was later elected as a lawmaker in my state house of assembly....nothing do you bro!
Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by globalview(m): 9:07am On Dec 21, 2018
MKO Abiola was a stamerer ,Rashidi Ladoja (former Oyo governor) stammers, K1 de ultimate also ..all these men are achievers and rule their various world's. So Relax ... although some above advises are useful but what u need most is self confidence! Be yourself forget about the thought of people about you. Be vocal anywhere you are ..Be bold! If u talk anyone that doesn't hear u clearly can ask u to repeat what u say,then u repeat it so he can get your point ..that's all.

1 Like

Re: My Stammering Issue Is Depressing Me by Nobody: 9:39am On Dec 21, 2018
Aieboocaar:

@bolded cheesy
Maybe we should go out on a date kiss
I can just imagine grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Husband Flees As Wife Delivers Triplets In Enugu / TeHN's 2nd Annual End Of Year Charity Flight / Lagos Beggar Refuses Sachet Water, Insists On Getting Bottled Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.