Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,487 members, 7,808,785 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:54 PM

Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here - Agriculture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here (12881 Views)

Experienced Cucumber Farmers / � Turkey Farmers Let's Meet Here / Broiler Farmers Let's Come Together And Achieve Our Goal This December (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by vosquare: 7:50am On Jan 29, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

Loooooooooooooooool @ the double very. Then, why go for it, or do u think it'll be better in the long run?

Help us out on why you decided to go this route
Yes... With this I won't have any problem about staking in the next 2-3 years.. Just to treat the bed and plant. Unlike the single staking I do before which has only 9 bamboos per bed and use binding wire to do the cross staking. The former staking do collapse when the cucumbers start coming out but with this, it will not. Even cucumbers will not really be on the ground
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by angel4life: 1:56pm On Jan 29, 2019
Thanks very much na, is it compulsory to use the munch? I just plant mine 5 days ago. I want to have a good seed . What can i apply to it now
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by lahify(m): 3:35pm On Jan 29, 2019
please is there any ibadan cucumber farmer here? would like to talk to such person.
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by okoroemeka(m): 8:03pm On Jan 29, 2019
vosquare:

Well... Let's get to that point first
if space do not provide good ventilation during rainy season u have to prepare for. downy mildew attacks
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Goldenfalcon: 11:18am On Jan 31, 2019
Pests are very irritating, the reason being they come at a time when you searching for some peace and do they do disturb your peace.

While pests are a year-round nuisance, but some of them become most active in warmer months of the year. Household pests like bed bugs, cockroaches, ants and termites love summers and they are already out to scare you. From bedrooms to toilets and to kitchens, they can be found anywhere . Pests thus become worst nightmare if the situation is not handled properly.Due to hot and humid temperature pests have become a routine and have haunted the lives of all residents and I too have a very bad experience with the pests before I hired pest control company.

Garlic – Mix finely chopped garlic with water and spray around the area where you think they can enter through.
Peppermint – Peppermint acts as a Pied Piper of Hamelin of 21st century. It is the most effective natural product used to keep rodents away. In fact, sometimes pest control services also use this method as a primary step. You can simply soak cotton balls in 100% pure peppermint oil and place them around areas where mice can get in. An alternative way is to mix the peppermint oil with water and use it as a spray. Make sure to replace the cotton balls every 2-4 weeks.
The next important tip is to inspect your home on every weekend. Look around every possible hole and gap especially near your desk, wardrobe, kitchen chimney and pipe entrance. Building with crawl arena is at high risk of rodent infestation.

2 Likes

Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Yampotatocarrot(m): 2:47pm On Mar 12, 2019
vosquare:

Yes... With this I won't have any problem about staking in the next 6-3 years.. Just to treat the bed and plant. Unlike the single staking I do before which has only 9 bamboos per bed and use binding wire to do the cross staking. The former staking do collapse when the cucumbers start coming out but with this, it will not. Even cucumbers will not really be on the ground

How many days interval for irrigating cucumber.... Should it be an every evening something?

(Note: planted on land, not in sack)
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by jossy1luv(f): 12:04pm On Mar 13, 2019
Good day, I need buyers of cucumbers at affordable prices in warri, delta state. Pls call 07062365879, if interested.
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 8:37pm On Mar 13, 2019
vosquare:

I haven't used any Fungicide this week but I sprayed insecticide (Actara, nim oil) on Sunday and another insecticide on Tuesday (abamet). I did this because of white flies.. There are many white flies on the plants.

But I decided not to spray till Monday. I'm planning on spraying d.i grow
My first dry season farming met with near disaster because of whiteflies. This is one of the most difficult pests to control!!!

From my reaearch, I found out the following solutions: bifenthrin, IGR Buprofezin, spiromesifen, cyantraniliprole, NEEM oil, whitefly fungal pathogens, whitefly sex pheromone, spirotetramat. who knows where i can buy any of them?
Note: imidacloprid, which i hav access to, work very well as a soil drench on seedlings. But dont use it when the plant is weeks to flowering. It is Very dangerous to bees.
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 8:39pm On Mar 13, 2019
okoroemeka:
white flies are disease vectors,mix systemic fungicide and insectide(Saaf and imiforce)with the di grow and spray,remove all the yellow leafs and dispose,if u can get Epsom salt in pharmacy also mix it to stop the yellow spread,healthy leafs are key to good and lasting harvest.
What is the active ingredient in saaf?
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 9:00pm On Mar 13, 2019
vosquare:

I don't tackle theft directly but I have a security who goes round the farm everyday and workers are not enslaved also. They are always given money for food when they need. It's just by "trusting" workers not to steal to enlarge profits and their money
I will not cultivate cucumber again without employing permanent workers. Staking is painfully slow. pls how do you pay your workers?
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by okoroemeka(m): 9:09pm On Mar 13, 2019
FarmTech:

What is the active ingredient in saaf?
mancozeb is contact, while carbendazim is systemic.
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by okoroemeka(m): 9:10pm On Mar 13, 2019
FarmTech:

I will not cultivate cucumber again without employing permanent workers. Staking is painfully slow. pls how do you pay your workers?
use staking net it's faster, check seed world he has it.

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 9:36pm On Mar 13, 2019
okoroemeka:
use staking net it's faster, check seed world he has it.
Thanks. Another thing I failed to mention is the pruning part.
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by vosquare: 10:56am On Mar 14, 2019
FarmTech:

grin grin grin
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by vosquare: 10:58am On Mar 14, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

How many days interval for irrigating cucumber.... Should it be an every evening something?

(Note: planted on land, not in sack)
For new plant.. Only 8-11 and 3-5
Older plants is 8-5...but when rain falls, no need till the sun comes out
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by vosquare: 11:02am On Mar 14, 2019
FarmTech:

My first dry season farming met with near disaster because of whiteflies. This is one of the most difficult pests to control!!!

From my reaearch, I found out the following solutions: bifenthrin, IGR Buprofezin, spiromesifen, cyantraniliprole, NEEM oil, whitefly fungal pathogens, whitefly sex pheromone, spirotetramat. who knows where i can buy any of them?
Note: imidacloprid, which i hav access to, work very well as a soil drench on seedlings. But dont use it when the plant is weeks to flowering. It is Very dangerous to bees.

Many methods...i once used morning and neem oil for whiteflies and it worked. I've used Confidor also for whiteflies. There are many methods to stop them but first, there should be unwanted Bush around your farm
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by vosquare: 11:12am On Mar 14, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

Thanks for this. Pointsett n Marketer are a no no for me, though someone said they have better resistance or so.

I think I'll find out the price for Tokyo and Greengo, haven't heard of Monalisa before, beautiful name it has though.(There use to be this guy that sells seeds on nairaland then o?
I use mona lisa though and I must confess, they are very reliable.. Very green and big, more rugged than darina
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by vosquare: 11:15am On Mar 14, 2019
jethro2:

Contact 08030886296 for Tokyo (Technisem)
Contact 08131899317 for Greengo and Monalis (East West)
Please do u have contact of tomato seed seller around lagos or ogun?
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 4:50pm On Mar 14, 2019
vosquare:

Many methods...i once used morning and neem oil for whiteflies and it worked. I've used Confidor also for whiteflies. There are many methods to stop them but first, there should be unwanted Bush around your farm
Thanks. which one is morning oil?
I think confidor is imidacloprid right?
Where do you buy neem oil from and hw much. Yes, there are bushes around my farm. next time I'll clear them.k

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Yampotatocarrot(m): 5:16pm On Mar 14, 2019
vosquare:

For new plant.. Only 8-11 and 3-5
Older plants is 8-5...but when rain falls, no need till the sun comes out

U mean when I pour water today, till 3days time? I don't understand the 8-5 please
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Yampotatocarrot(m): 5:18pm On Mar 14, 2019
[quote author=FarmTech post=76630829]
I will not cultivate cucumber again without employing permanent workers. Staking is painfully slow. pls how do you pay your workers?[/quote

Shouldn't u stake before or immediately after planting, rather than waiting for them to start germinating before preparing for it?
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 10:12pm On Mar 14, 2019
[quote author=Yampotatocarrot post=76655566][/quote] . The staking i meant was training the planta to climb the rope.

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by vosquare: 11:26pm On Mar 14, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

U mean when I pour water today, till 3days time? I don't understand the 8-5 please
I don't know about that method.. I use drip irrigation
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by vosquare: 11:28pm On Mar 14, 2019
FarmTech:

Thanks. which one is morning oil?
I think confidor is imidacloprid right?
Where do you buy neem oil from and hw much. Yes, there are bushes around my farm. next time I'll clear them.k
Morning fresh.. Not oil.. Morning fresh.. The liquid soap. I think a 5 litre keg of neem oil is 25k or so and it was gotten from ibadan
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FMCASH(m): 11:56pm On Mar 14, 2019
vosquare:

Morning fresh.. Not oil.. Morning fresh.. The liquid soap. I think a 5 litre keg of neem oil is 25k or so and it was gotten from ibadan
got my from saka organicfood, it should be cheaper from him though
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Yampotatocarrot(m): 6:20am On Mar 15, 2019
vosquare:

I don't know about that method.. I use drip irrigation

O, okay. Please anyone with idea on how often cucumber should be irrigated should answer, mbok
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 4:06pm On Mar 15, 2019
vosquare:

ok thanks.
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FarmTech(m): 4:13pm On Mar 15, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

O, okay. Please anyone with idea on how often cucumber should be irrigated should answer, mbok
It depends on soil type. irrigate whenever the soil look dry. If u noticed bitter tasting fruits, irrigate more often.
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Yampotatocarrot(m): 4:24pm On Mar 15, 2019
FarmTech:

It depends on soil type. irrigate whenever the soil look dry. If u noticed bitter tasting fruits, irrigate more often.

Okay. Thanks for this. I've always wondered if watering should be everyday... Thanks again

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by somessi: 3:27pm On Mar 22, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

Please, where's your farm location? Thanks.
Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by Yampotatocarrot(m): 4:08pm On Mar 24, 2019
somessi:

Please, where's your farm location? Thanks.

Ayobo, Lagos.

Cukes about 1week old as at today, sprouting already. Have been watering everyday since last week, but I'm planning to make it 2-days interval now.

Will be applying my first pesticide + fertilizer by weekend

CC: Okoroemeka, vosquare, FarmTech, FMCASH

1 Like

Re: Cucumber Farmers, Let's Meet Here by FMCASH(m): 9:51pm On Mar 24, 2019
Yampotatocarrot:

Ayobo, Lagos.

Cukes about 1week old as at today, sprouting already. Have been watering everyday since last week, but I'm planning to make it 2-days interval now.

Will be applying my first pesticide + fertilizer by weekend

CC: Okoroemeka, vosquare, FarmTech, FMCASH
use only foliar fertilizer at this stage

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

15 Weeks Point Of Lay Birds Are For Sale / Interested In Poultry Farming? Ask Your Questions Here / My Dry Season Irrigation Sack Farming (photo Speak)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.