Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,306 members, 7,808,039 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:23 AM

BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) (51269 Views)

Fear Grips Residents As Touts Operate Under Lagos Bridge / Kadaria Ahmed Condemns BBC Documentary About Banditry / When Election Candidates Meet Vs When Supporters Meet. See Reactions (Pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by Famousbabe(f): 10:07pm On Dec 20, 2018
Life Under The Bridge In Lagos Exposed By BBC Documentary!

BBC spent a day with three men who came to Lagos to hustle and look for a better life, but found themselves sleeping under a flyover in Lagos.

A recent episode of BBC’s “Homeless in Lagos” profiled 23-year-old Christian, Manchester United fan, Godwin. He claims he sleeps under the bridge because housing in Lagos is expensive; the average apartment costs between NGN150K and NGN200K — he only has NGN50, 000 after working hard.

Godwin told BBC:

“When I was in my final year, I used to hear; there’s money in Lagos, there’s work in Lagos. My aim was to come and work, I did not even plan to live under a bridge.”

Despite his education, Godwin is now an agbero in Lagos, he helps drivers load their buses for NGN50-NGN100. At the time BBC caught up to him, he had been doing that for four months.

BBC also interviewed another man suffering the effects of Boko Haram’s terrorism. He says:

“Despite the economic situation of this state, I’m still managing, living under a bridge. I won’t do this forever, my life will not end like this under bridge. I hope to one day return to my home and continue my life.”

The BBC documentary also features a man, whose legs, feet were peeled. He claims he has been living under thelLagos bridge for 14 years.

Watch the video
here

The documentary has gotten a lot of reactions from Nigerians.

Source: http://www.thefamousnaija.com/2018/12/nigerians-sleeping-under-lagos-bridge.html?m=1

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by Famousbabe(f): 10:07pm On Dec 20, 2018
Watch the video
here

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by Famousbabe(f): 10:08pm On Dec 20, 2018
Reactions

Watch the video that got Nigerians crying

here

1 Like

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by PointZerom: 10:10pm On Dec 20, 2018
Buhari is a disaster.

48 Likes 4 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by Famousbabe(f): 10:10pm On Dec 20, 2018
More reactions

Watch the video that got Nigerians crying

here

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by Kenekingisback: 10:10pm On Dec 20, 2018
Ambode and APC sef

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by elderken(m): 10:14pm On Dec 20, 2018
All na for next level.
This time, dey will start sleeping after the bridge not under again. NextLevel Nonsense
Some idiot are quoting me and saying thrash.
Fact check; has Apc not been ruling Lagos for over 16 years+.
What about their Aso Rock, meeehhh
At this time in 2014, a bag of rice was N7,000 but the same bag of rice is over N20, 000 now while other food items are also beyond the reach of ordinary Nigerians.”

“Nigerians will never forget a President who met petrol at N86.50 per litre and increased it to N145 within one year and destroyed the economy of the country to the extent that dollar that exchanged for N197 to N1 is now over N360.

103 Likes 9 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by OfficialAPCNig: 10:17pm On Dec 20, 2018
APC is evil

44 Likes 4 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by oilPUSSY(f): 10:18pm On Dec 20, 2018
Wonderful.. This is very bad.

Modified...
We know them even without stating their names and orgin.
If you start analysing those pictures, you will find out that the second one is a typical cone head from Ibadan slum (look at his head again) who always come to nairaland to shout "Igbos should leave SW, it belongs to Yoruba whereas his life is so miserable even in his own region.

They have been forced him to live under the bridge for donkey years. As it stands today, average cone head can't afford Lagos while people they love to hate have turned them to tenants and under bridge dwellers in their own land.

Then take a look at the third picture, that one is a typical Yorruba Musl.im from oshogbo. See the mark of beast on his forehead (effect of head slamming) Tomorrow they will come here and be disturbing the cyber space..

Until hopeless Osogbo urchins below me stop being tribalistic on some sensitive issues like this, we won't stop reciprocating.

56 Likes 7 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by Nobody: 10:19pm On Dec 20, 2018
Sad really... I hope the situation changes in the near future because currently, Nigeria is too broke to pay attention to the homeless. sad

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by Calers: 10:25pm On Dec 20, 2018
Camden in new jersey in United state is worst than this.

52 Likes 5 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by xxxtedyxxx(m): 10:39pm On Dec 20, 2018
Buhari is mad.

22 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 10:44pm On Dec 20, 2018
angry
The two main issues i have with buhari's governance is Poor manner of handling the economic and political crises that greeted him as he assumed office and secondly his govt love for lies and propaganda!!
Dont be suprised if tommorrow lie mohammed says that those people are "fugitives or Idp's who refused to stay at the camps/facilities govt provided for them"

40 Likes 4 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by darfay: 10:48pm On Dec 20, 2018
Instead of them to go back to their village and farm. But no they rather constitute nuisance or should I say develop Lagos

12 Likes 3 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by Athena4: 10:48pm On Dec 20, 2018
Buhari: What is a...breeeeg?

Liar Mohammed:Those guys were only there for a photo shoot.They do photoshoots there all the time.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by meobizy(f): 11:06pm On Dec 20, 2018
The construction of low income housing can reduce this considerably. All those people saying they know one association or the other should keep help to themselves. If they are not ready to build cheap accommodation then silence is their best bet.
My only question is, how and where do those men _shit? At least seeing them has revealed the identity of those who indulge in jungle justice, a frustrated man is an angry man.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by python2gbera: 11:22pm On Dec 20, 2018
BBC should also bring into focus the menance of Igbo prostitutes in Lagos
-Python2

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by EbukaHades10(m): 11:51pm On Dec 20, 2018
The thing keeping them and basically all Nigerians is Hope. Hope that one day things will get better.

Hope that one day,they will leave the bridge to a better apartment.

Hope that all these are just for a while.

I love the Nigerian spirit.

The Nigerian government has failed its citizens.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by fk001(m): 11:53pm On Dec 20, 2018
Wetin concern APC or Buhari with this news again?

people have been sleeping under the bridge for decades.

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by python2gbera: 12:15am On Dec 21, 2018
As we speak, a number of them, as scrawny as they look, hitting their flat heads on a wailing wall somewhere in Lagos.

-python2

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by eventsmallchops: 1:52am On Dec 21, 2018
we are suffering in this country, if you are poor and no one is willing to assist you, your condition will remain so for ever, if I have connection to live under that bridge, I will join them because I have something that can keep me busy in Lagos but accommodation is my problem , I have lived in the bus before, I left Lagos the day some boys came vandalizing parked cars in the night, it was God that saved me that night, they said they are one million boys, police came trying to stop them, I was caught up in the middle , I used to sleep with workman coverall wear, once sleeping in post office premises, but they stopped us, its not easy when you want to survive in this country, you must take risk, government does not care.

if you look at my last post, you will see what I'm battling with in life, at least this one have 50,000

https://www.nairaland.com/4916246/diary-unemployed-nigerian-chasing-dream

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by zombieTRACKER: 2:08am On Dec 21, 2018
Those guys left their duplexes in lekki and moved under the bridge to paint Buhari bad...

We know everyone is doing good under Buhari

Economy is growing and booming

Jobs are looking for people... No longer the other way

BBC will soon be sent parking just like amnesty international... Werey people...

Zombies hope I spoke our mind... Sai barber

34 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by zombieTRACKER: 2:14am On Dec 21, 2018
fk001:
Wetin concern APC or Buhari with this news again?

people have been sleeping under the bridge for decades.

I tire oh

People have been suffering in this country
Na today?

Is it the duty of Buhari to provide for them
Baba has important things to do like traveling

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by SoNature(m): 2:16am On Dec 21, 2018
Tribalism and religious bigotry aren't done dealing with Nigerians

Docile youths, una never see suffer!

This is just the beginning

7 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by budaatum: 2:59am On Dec 21, 2018
A man has died hours after he was found unresponsive in an underpass opposite the Houses of Parliament.

The man, who was named as Gyula Remes, 43, was found by British Transport Police at 23.30 GMT on Tuesday outside Westminster Underground Station.

Officers administered first aid and he was taken to a central London hospital but he died in the early hours.

Communities Secretary James Brokenshire said he would be asking Westminster City Council to investigate his death.

The Metropolitan Police said it was not treating the death as suspicious.

Dawn, who used to sleep opposite the man, said she thought his death was related to the drug Spice and that he had choked on his own vomit.

"He was the most gorgeous gentleman you would like to meet," she said, adding: "It's killing me this, I can't cope with this, I really can't. I keep expecting him to walk around here."

She said he had just found a job and was expecting to be off the streets soon.

Sara, 38, from Essex, has slept in the underpass for the past month.

"That poor man has lost his life and everyone else comes out the exit and they're just walking by as if nothing's happened.

"He was blue last night and everyone was just walking past him like he didn't matter."

Shadow housing minister, Melanie Onn, said the area where the man was found has becoming increasingly popular with homeless people.

Ms Onn said: "Just last week I saw police resuscitating someone in the same spot.

"It's a go to area because it's dry and warmer than outside, but it's wholly inappropriate to stay there. There's not even any wash facilities."

Mr Brokenshire said he was committed to ensuring independent reviews into the deaths of rough sleepers were conducted, so that support could be targeted in the right way.

In February a homeless man was found dead in an underpass that leads from the station to the Palace of Westminster.

7 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by MoonWater: 3:20am On Dec 21, 2018
python2gbera:
As we speak, a number of them, as scrawny as they look, hitting their flat heads on a wailing wall somewhere in Lagos.-python2
I don't like laughing at all this tribal jokes but that Pic is funny

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by johnmartus(m): 3:49am On Dec 21, 2018
Living under bridge for over 14years that's pathetic wondering where the guy hidden when fashola was raided homeless people during his administration. Not everyone can afford live in a big city like Lagos. A situation where you can't afford house rent then go back to your village.

8 Likes

Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by Mankosi: 4:07am On Dec 21, 2018
Too bad
Re: BBC Documentary On Nigerians Living Under Lagos Bridge. See Reactions (Pics) by kolaaderin: 5:19am On Dec 21, 2018
PointZerom:
Buhari is a disaster.

He lives there for the past 14 years, we are not going back to PDP. They created the mess

7 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Tinubu With His Grand Children / Meet Mariya Mahmoud Bunkure, The New Ministerial Nominee Who Replaced Shetty / The Sunday Igboho I Knew - Babafemi Ojudu.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.