Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,269 members, 7,807,912 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 10:30 PM

At Least 20 Killed, 165 Injured As Tsunami Hits Krakatoa, Indonesia - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / At Least 20 Killed, 165 Injured As Tsunami Hits Krakatoa, Indonesia (237 Views)

Qassem Suleimani: At Least 20 Killed In Blasts Near Grave Of IRGC Commander. / Russia: Apocalypse Underwater Drones That Can Trigger ‘radioactive Tsunami' / Huge Explosion Hits Mosque In Herat, Afghanistan. 20 Killed, 200 Injured (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

At Least 20 Killed, 165 Injured As Tsunami Hits Krakatoa, Indonesia by francis247(m): 3:09am On Dec 23, 2018
Tsunami strikes Indonesia killing at least 20 people and injuring 160 more after Krakatoa blows its top as volcanic ash spreads across the region threatening holiday flights

It is believed the tsunami was caused by an undersea landslide following the eruption of the Krakatoa volcano.

It is understood the wave hit beaches on the Sunda Strait - between the islands of Java and Sumatra. A volcanic eruption in Krakatoa in 1883 was one of the deadliest in recorded history killing more than 36,000 people.

A video circulating on Twitter shows a two-foot high wave washing ashore. Later photographs show cars overturned and buildings destroyed.

However, local media said Indonesian authorities warned coastal areas could be hit by 7-foot high waves. One witness,
Øystein Lund Andersen wrote on Facebook: 'I had to run, as the wave passed the beach and landed 15-20m (meters) inland. Next wave entered the hotel area where i was staying and downed cars on the road behind it. Managed to evacuate with my family to higher ground trough forest paths and villages, where we are taken care of (by) the locals. Were unharmed, thankfully.' He said he had been taking photographs of the eruption on Krakatoa when the wave struck. He added: 'So encountered my first tsunami it seems, hopefully my last.'

In September, at least 832 people were killed by a quake and tsunami that hit the city of Palu on the island of Sulawesi, which is just east of Borneo.

The tsunami hit beaches around the Sunda Strait late on Saturday night. The killer wave was believed to have been caused by a volcanic eruption on nearby Krakatoa. Survivors of the Indonesian tsunami which killed 20 and injured a further 165 sheltered in a mosque after they evacuated to higher ground in case of further flooding.

SOURCE:
http://www.wavefinder.com.ng/2018/12/at-least-20-killed-165-injured-as.html?m=1

Re: At Least 20 Killed, 165 Injured As Tsunami Hits Krakatoa, Indonesia by ValCon888: 6:30am On Dec 23, 2018
Do you know?

The loudest sound ever heard on earth was made by this same volcano when it erupted in 1883.

The sound waves went round the world 4 times and could be heard by people 5000km away. shocked

(1) (Reply)

UK Couple Die Within Hours Of Each Other In Australia / ICC: Former Ivorian President Laurent Gbagbo Acquitted / Several Ways Facebook Can Stop Suicide Especially From Depressed Ones

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.