Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,218 members, 7,780,406 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 01:45 PM

Mistakes People Make While choosing/Upbringing Their Pet Dogs. - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Mistakes People Make While choosing/Upbringing Their Pet Dogs. (686 Views)

Name Your Favorite Pet: Dogs, Cats, Monkeys, Snakes, Pigs, Spiders, Parrots? / Twisted Couple Caught Having Sex With Their Pet Dog / Pet Dogs Dancing: Philippines Animal Advocate Shares Stunning Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Mistakes People Make While choosing/Upbringing Their Pet Dogs. by Nobody: 3:49pm On Dec 23, 2018
I am not a dog expert in any way, but i can say I have gotten some experience with my puppy, and also read some books and articles on everything dogs.

This article won't be talking about dogs raised for security, but about dogs raised to be well behaved member of the family or simply pets.
Mistakes people make choosing and raising dogs:

1)Not making adequate/any research on the particular dog before getting it. Each breed of dogs are specifically adapted for different purposes, they come with different personalities and different needs. We should always make adequate research about the breed of dog we are getting before getting it. You can start your Breed research from these wonderful websites
https://www.dog-learn.com/dog-breeds/
https://dogtime.com/dog-breeds

Doing this research is extremely important, it will save you from getting a breed that has very high exercise needs when you are a docile person. Or getting a breed that is not friendly to strangers/pets when you have visitors regularly and have pets at home.

2)Not socializing the dog. Socializing dogs involves taking the dogs to places where it meets humans, other dogs and animals, vehicles and machineries. This would make the dog less fearful of these things. It would prevent behavioral issues in the future.

3)Not giving your dog what it needs. The things that dogs need are : A good and balanced diet/water, good home, good veterinary care, love/attention/company, grooming, exercise/play, socialization and good human leadership among other things. When one of these things are lacking, it would definitely affect the dog adversely. All these things needs must be provided if you don't want a bad/miserable dog. A dog owner that doesn't exercise his dog according to her exercise needs would have a dog that is jobless, destructive and disobedient. An owner that doesn't socialize his dog, will have an anxious/fearful dog that is dangerous/aggressive. A dog without a good home and care would be a stray dog that is potentially dangerous to the society. A dog without a good human leadership and attention, would be a wayward dog that always demand for everything all the time, which would frustrate the owner.

4)Getting the pup at less than 6 weeks old. Although the ideal age to get a puppy is from 8 weeks to 10 weeks old, here in Nigeria, puppy sellers are too eager to make money, thereby selling a puppy too early. The puppies need to learn a lot about appropriate canine behaviors from their siblings and mum before going into new homes. Their mum teach them how to play appropriately, and their siblings teach them bite inhibition during plays. They also get to socialize a bit with their siblings and associate other dogs with something positive.

I know most people don't like reading long stories, so I made it very short.

The most common mistakes of pet dogs owner have been summarized up there. smiley

cc: seun

2 Likes

Re: Mistakes People Make While choosing/Upbringing Their Pet Dogs. by Yorubaseeker: 1:52pm On Dec 24, 2018
Beautiful piece.

1 Like

Re: Mistakes People Make While choosing/Upbringing Their Pet Dogs. by Nobody: 6:22pm On Dec 24, 2018
Yorubaseeker:
Beautiful piece.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Dogs For Sale / Lasha For Sale Abuja / Neopolitan Mastiff!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.