Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,409 members, 7,808,458 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 12:13 PM

Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi (19462 Views)

NASA Inducts Nigeria’s Dr. Robert Sola Okojie Into NASA Inventors Hall Of Fame / CP Hakeem Olusegun Odumosu: Lagos gets new Commissioner of Police / The First Black Woman With Phd In Aeronautical Engineering In NASA (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by demolinka(m): 9:17pm On Dec 23, 2018
10 Things To Know About NASA Astrophysicist Hakeem Oluseyi

Astrophysicist, educator, and humanitarian Hakeem Oluseyi is making science cool again. Besides being a well-known figure in the field, Oluseyi is a member of the team developing the Large Synoptic Survey Telescope (LSST), which is America’s top priority observatory. He is also using his public presence to encourage more people of color to enter STEM fields. And, he co-authored the children’s popular science book “Discovery Spaceopedia: The Complete Guide to Everything Space.”

“Oluseyi, 49, is one of the most popular scientists in a field that deals with the otherworldly. From his position as a distinguished professor of physics and space sciences at the Florida Institute of Technology to hosting programs such as Discovery’s “Outrageous Acts of Science and How the Universe Works,” Oluseyi is inspiring generations — both younger and older — with his exciting approach to subject matter that can be quite complex,” the Undefeated reported.

Here are 10 other things you might not know about Oluseyi:

1.HBCU Head Start
Oluseyi attended HBCU Tougaloo College where he earned Bachelor of Science degrees in physics and mathematics. He went on to earn his MS and Ph.D. degrees in physics from Stanford University under the mentorship of the late Professor Arthur B. C. Walker Jr. “Under Walker’s tutelage, Oluseyi helped to design, build, calibrate, and launch the Multi-Spectral Solar Telescope Array, which pioneered normal incidence extreme ultraviolet and soft x-ray imaging of the Sun’s transition region and corona,” Temmy Balogun reported.

It was at Tougaloo he had a breakthrough about his future.

“Yes. These three grad students from MIT and Harvard came to Tougaloo, where I was one of two physics students in 1986. They were all black physics students from the Cambridge area – and each of them thought they were the only one! They came to realize that kids from certain communities just have no idea that physics as a career exists. They decided they’d start the National Council of Black Physics Students, to help the most down-and-out kids in the country. So where did they go? Mississippi. They showed up on our campus,” he told TED Blog.

He continued: “Because of them, I ended up meeting recruiters from Stanford University that ended up accepting me to Stanford for grad school. In all of Stanford’s history, at that time, there were only two black professors in all of the six schools of natural sciences and mathematics. One was my Ph.D. advisor, Art Walker, who was also the Ph.D. advisor of Sally Ride. Just being in his presence showed me a different model of how I could be.”

2. Neighborhood Didn’t Break Him
Oluseyi grew up in some rough neighbors. When he was young, he never lived in the same state two years consecutively. And he toughed it out in such neighborhoods as New Orleans’ 9th Ward; Houston’s 3rd Ward; and Watts and Inglewood in California. At age 13 he and his mother settled in rural Mississippi.

“As the new kid in the bad neighborhood, I was always immediately challenged upon arrival, which meant fighting,” Oluseyi told American Physical Society. “I was not interested in this, so I spent a lot of time indoors reading and watching PBS nature shows. I discovered Jacques Cousteau on TV and Albert Einstein in my reading. The effects of relativity just knocked my socks off! I did everything I could to get my head around this stuff. I thought, ‘Man! Scientists are super cool!’”

3.When He Got The Physics Bug
During high school, Oluseyi created a computer program that did relativity calculations — and it won first prize in physics at the state science fair. And the judges encouraged Oluseyi to become a physicist.

4.Difficult But He Did It
While in grad school at Stanford University, Oluseyi said he felt a little over his head.

“It was extremely difficult,” he told the American Physical Society. “Whereas I had not even heard of calculus until after I graduated high school and was in the Navy, my Stanford classmates all had calculus early in their high school careers. Moreover, the totality of my entire undergraduate physics education only amounted to about three semesters of the typical Stanford undergrad’s coursework.

5.When Silicon Valley Called
Following graduation, Oluseyi worked at one of Silicon Valley’s most successful companies and did research on manufacturing computer chips. Through his work there, he earned eight U.S. patents and four E.U. patents. And in fact, his inventions can be found in the computer chips used every day.

6.Nobel Prize
Oluseyi worked with the 2011 Nobel Prize winning Supernova Cosmology Project. He developed detectors for a planned space-based telescope that will be used to explore the nature of the dark energy that is speeding up the universe’s expansion.

7.Teacher, Teacher: Oluseyi is a professor at the Florida Institute of Technology. He is also a frequent contributor to the Discovery Channel and National Geographic.

8.African Vision
Through the Cosmos Education organization, Oluseyi has visited sub-Saharan African schools to inspire young students to consider STEM careers.

“Engaging with a down-to-earth, successful scientist of African heritage encourages the students and lets them see that someone very similar to them can make it as a scientist,” he said.

9.Passing It On
The scientist formed the African Astronomical Society and the One Telescope Project, an initiative to supply each nation in the world with at least one research-grade telescope.

10.Military Man
Oluseyi served in the U.S. Navy from 1984 to 1986. And actually, he credits the Navy with teaching him algebra.

Source:
https://moguldom.com/165662/10-things-to-know-about-nasa-astrophysicist-hakeem-oluseyi

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Omoekun931(m): 9:38pm On Dec 23, 2018
Good one there.
Yoruba Amaka

91 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Timmypromise(m): 11:04pm On Dec 23, 2018
nice one.......

1 Like

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by NessaBoo(f): 4:31am On Dec 24, 2018
Yeah...he's actually really a big deal, he's fondly called the "Guardian of the galaxy" grin,

Blacks are always so underrepresented, from George Washington Carver to the black women who worked as mathematicians at NASA in the early 20th century, to James West, who co-invented the microphone and those whose impressive scientific records have nearly languished in obscurity.

Hakeem is as big as they come!!

98 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Axis313(m): 6:51am On Dec 24, 2018
Omoekun931:
Good one there. Yoruba Amaka
Yoruba amaka?No,it should be Yoruba Ni Baba Won,Yoruba Lagba.

79 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by superlightning: 9:41am On Dec 24, 2018
Axis313:

Yoruba amaka?No,it should be Yoruba Ni Baba Won,Yoruba Lagba.

that's the problem with ngbatis. when we sincerely try to celebrate you guys, you begin to claim superiority.

Have you heard of Eni Njoku jnr.? the first NASA scientist from Nigeria? infact he rose so high that he won various group NASA award and was inducted as a visiting fellow of MIT's Faculty, something very rare with blacks.

https://mlkscholars.mit.edu/enjoku/

follow this link and know more about him

https://www.nairaland.com/2535707/meet-dr-eni-njoku-jnr

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by demolinka(m): 9:47am On Dec 24, 2018
Nothing is impossible, absolutely nothing.

Lalasticlala I hear say the guy dey chop snake meat o

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Ayobami7(m): 10:18am On Dec 24, 2018
这是我的评论

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Kenekingisback: 11:58am On Dec 24, 2018
Seen just thinking how Abike Dabiri would contact him as per diaspora affairs things grin

3 Likes

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by superlightning: 12:26pm On Dec 24, 2018
Auladimeji1:
Yorubas are superior to Igbos.Argue with your Christmas Chicken

its Xmas season and you are still spewing hate. this disease has really taken its toll on you. anyway, it feels great to realize you are my Xmas chicken. inferiority complex can be so demeaning....Lol...

12 Likes

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by ChiefAzubuike(f): 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2018
Because he bears a Nigerian name doesn't mean he's Nigerian. He might only have naija ancestors.

If you watch discovery channel 136 on DSTV well,.then you should be familiar with this boy.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by CityNGR: 1:07pm On Dec 24, 2018
My Igbo blodas now

21 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Lordofthewest(m): 1:08pm On Dec 24, 2018
Really??...so when is Nigeria going to the moon?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by PUSSYHOE(m): 1:11pm On Dec 24, 2018
from
Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by sankky: 1:11pm On Dec 24, 2018
Nice one there
Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Nobody: 1:12pm On Dec 24, 2018
You'll be surprised this kind person might not even be an atheist. But those underachieving losers in Religion section, na them carry athiesm for head despite being sore losers in the realm of science and tech.

6 Likes

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by xage(m): 1:13pm On Dec 24, 2018
Kudos to him

Quite inspiring

But what is it with all these tribal childishness that has taken over Nairaland??

We are first of all Nigerian.... Let the MODs start banning those atrocious minds to restore sanity and good conduct

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by JeetoPakistan: 1:14pm On Dec 24, 2018
hey Nice article you have share i like very much. i also recommend to you to read this also: ARY http://www.jeetopakistanhelplinenumber.info/
Jeeto Pakistan Helpline Number . In addition audience will also be given to those viewers who join through live calls people enjoy not just been there but also to watch it it is being the most popular tv shows these days specially in Ramadan the show host is fahad mustafa the famous energetic actor and host he is well known of his energy and because of his energy people love to watch the show. jeeto pakistan call number 2017, Ary Jeeto pakistan helpline number of this show.
Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Agbaletu: 1:16pm On Dec 24, 2018
Wow nice one guy!
I actually don't see people like him as Nigerians. They have nothing in common with us except the name which anybody can bear.
We are proud of your root.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Agbaletu: 1:17pm On Dec 24, 2018
ChiefAzubuike:
Because he bears a Nigerian name doesn't mean he's Nigerian. He might only have naija ancestors.

If you watch discovery channel 136 on DSTV well,.then you should be familiar with this boy.
You are very correct. People like him don't even share anything with Nigeria apart from their names.

4 Likes

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Corrinthians(m): 1:18pm On Dec 24, 2018
Wawa Dan Wahalas won't like this at all. cheesy

Yoruba Amaka! cheesy

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Ijaya123: 1:19pm On Dec 24, 2018
Omoekun931:
Good one there.
Yoruba Amaka

Amaka is not a Yoruba language.

Yoruba ni baba won. West side, the best side.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by okwabayi(m): 1:19pm On Dec 24, 2018
This man is not Nigerian so we shouldn't celebrate him. If he was born here, spent time in Ajegunle and lived in Makoko for a majority of his upbringing then we can celebrate away. See his biography and how it has nothing to do with a Nigerian upbringing and you'll see that even in his worst nightmares he can never imagine this country.
Our inferiority complex is really at an all time high. I understand, na normal thing for this forum.

3 Likes

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by PhenomenalMorgan(m): 1:20pm On Dec 24, 2018
Name checkers, over to u guys...

1 Like

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by gaskiyamagana: 1:21pm On Dec 24, 2018
He needs to be contacted to help us develop technology of X - raying brain of our politicians as far as greediness and Corruption is concerned.
Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by BizLifeE: 1:23pm On Dec 24, 2018
Congratulations!

Perfect Money/Payeer/Epay/Neteller/Skrill: ItuGlobal
Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by xxxtedyxxx(m): 1:24pm On Dec 24, 2018
Auladimeji1:
Yorubas are superior to Igbos.Argue with your Christmas Chicken

ode....

just celebrate the dude, and leave your tribal sentiments aside.

3 Likes

Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by LibertyRep: 1:24pm On Dec 24, 2018
Good we have met him but is he a Nigerian before we roll out the drums and celebrate one if our own possibly in going to the moon
Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by crestedaguiyi: 1:27pm On Dec 24, 2018
afonja amaka abeg
Re: Meet NASA Astrophysicist, Hakeem Oluseyi by Emmy3(m): 1:28pm On Dec 24, 2018
"I pledge to Buhari my President
To be faithful loyal and honest
To stand with him in 2019 Election and beyond
To campaign for him with all my strength
To defend his dignity and
Thumbs up a honor at him
So help me God."

Kindly share and like, if you pledge, too

N-HEALTH-2017-000001908608

3 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Employers Stop Frustrating Us!!! Cry Of A Nigerian Youth. / Should I Migrate To Canada Or Continue With My Job? / 10 Funny Reasons Why We All Hate Nigerian Tailors

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.