Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,437 members, 7,808,568 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 01:32 PM

Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian (7509 Views)

CAN Says Nigerians Should Celebrate Easter With Fasting, Prayer / Six Churches That Don’t Celebrate Christmas And Why / Shiite Muslims In Jos Celebrate Christmas In A Church With Christians Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by Nobody: 6:04am On Dec 25, 2018
I have seen lots of comments both good and evil about christmas.. They gave many reasons why you shouldn't celebrate christmas and how it was a pagan festival and all..
Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by Kamxin(m): 6:07am On Dec 25, 2018
First of all MERRY CHRISTMAS to all .

If I don't cerebrate the Lord's birthday, how sure am I that I will live long enough to see mine, talk more of cerebrating it.

I expectation a complement of rice and chicken everywhere I go today, please don't disappoint God.

EXCERPT FROM UBENEDICTUS POST ON TODAY'S CEREBRATION

Now ask yourself: Would the Blessed Virgin Mary ever forget the birth of her Son Jesus Christ who was conceived without human seed, proclaimed by angels, born in a miraculous way, and visited by Magi? She knew from the moment of His incarnation in her stainless womb that He wasthe Son of God and Messiah. Would she ever forgetthat day?Next, ask yourself: Would the Apostles be interested in hearing Mary tell the story?Of course they would. Do you think the holy Apostle who wrote, “And the Word was made flesh,” was not interested in the minute details of His birth? Even when we walk aroundwith our kids son, people always ask “Howold is he?” or “When was he born?”Don’t you think people asked thisquestion of Mary?So the exact birth date (December 25) and the time (midnight) would have been known in the first century.Moreover, the Apostles would have asked about it and would have, no doubt, commemorated the blessed event that both Saint Matthew and Saint Luke chronicle for us. In summary, it is completely reasonable to state that the early Christians both knew and commemorated the birth of Christ.Their source would have been His Immaculate Mother.Further testimony reveals that theChurch Fathers claimed December 25 as the Birthday of Christ prior to the conversion of Constantine and the Roman Empire. The earliest record of this is that Pope Saint Telesphorus (reigned A.D. 126-137) instituted the tradition ofMidnight Mass on ChristmasEve. Although the Liber Pontificalis does not give us the date of Christmas, it assumes that the Pope was already celebrating Christmas and that a Mass atmidnight was added. During this time, we also read the following words of Theophilus (A.D. 115-181), Catholic bishop of Caesarea in Palestine: “We ought to celebrate the birthday of OurLord on what day soever the 25th of December shall happen.”[vi]Shortly thereafter in the second century, Saint Hippolytus (A.D. 170-240) wrote in passing that the birth of Christ occurredon December 25:"The First Advent of our Lord in the flesh occurred when He was born in Bethlehem, was December 25th, a Wednesday, while Augustus was in his forty-second year, which is five thousand and five hundred years from Adam. He suffered in the thirty-third year, March 25th, Friday, the eighteenthyear of Tiberius Caesar, while Rufus and Roubellion were Consuls.Also note in the quote above the special significance of March 25, which marks the death of Christ (March 25 was assumed to corresponded to the Hebrew month Nisan 14 – the traditionaldate of crucifixion). Christ, as theperfect man, was believed to have been conceived and died on the same day— March 25. In his Chronicon, Saint Hippolytus states that the earth was created on March 25, 5500 B.C. Thus,March 25 was identified by the Church Fathers as the Creation date of the universe, as the date of the Annunciation and Incarnation of Christ, and also as the date of the Death ofChrist our Savior.In the Syrian Church, March 25 or the Feast of the Annunciation was seen as one of the most important feasts of the entire year. It denoted the day that God took up his abode in the womb of the Virgin. In fact, if the Annunciationand Good Friday came into conflict on the calendar, the Annunciation trumped it, so important was the day in Syrian tradition. It goes without saying that the Syrian Church preserved some of the most ancient Christian traditions and had a sweet and profound devotion for the Incarnation of Christ.Now then, March 25 was enshrined in the early Christian tradition, and from this date it is easy to discern the date of Christ’s birth. March 25 (Christ conceivedby the Holy Ghost) plus nine months brings us to December 25 (the birth of Christ at Bethlehem).Saint Augustine confirms this tradition of March 25 as the Messianic conception and December 25 as His birth:"For Christ is believed to have been conceived on the 25th ofMarch, upon which day also he suffered; so the womb of the Virgin, in which he was conceived, where no one of mortals was begotten, corresponds to the new grave in which he was buried, wherein was never man laid, neither before him nor since. But he was born, according to tradition, upon December the 25th."

SOURCE: https://www.nairaland.com/2060260/yes-christ-really-born-december?_e_pi_=7%2CPAGE_ID10%2C5166558126

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by Nobody: 6:12am On Dec 25, 2018
Well, in as much as we know the evil done to christianity, like the way it was heavily corrupted by the Italians i think we should also take our time once a while to Thank God for if not them maybe christianity would have died even before it was born.. That story for another year.

Now back to the christmas and pagan story.. It was true that it was recorded that 17th to 25th december in the olden days used to be days set aside for the pagans to celebrate their god of agriculture or so god whose name is surltan or something like that.

We don't know which day Jesus Christ was born, Jesus never celebrate any birthday while here on earth neither did his disciples did. Buh see why you should celebrate this christmas as a christian.

This date was purposely choosen by the then roman empire in other to abolish the pagan celebration, instead of celebrating a god during this time then let's organize a celebration for our Jesus instead so we can celebrate him rather than celebrating the pagan god which will help abolish the pagans celebration at the long run and it was a success, so every 25th instead of pagans celebrating their god, we took the day from them and lift our saviour over their god and celebrate Him instead, it's that simple.

Typical example are people from the traditional belief background, when you are chanced to meet Jesus and you wish to resist the day your family do worship whatever they belive in, you might choose this very day to worship God and lift our saviour instead of you joining them, and you'd be surprised that as time goes by, this very day would surely be turn around someday as your family might end up accepting Jesus through you and this day becoming a yearly festival in which your family would choose to worship God just like the way you were doing before they joined you in serving God..

That's the origin of Christmas, so as a christian won't you rather exalt and praise God while appreciating Jesus on such day making sure the gods worshipper are put to shame? Once the celebration is from your heart and it's unto God, you can never miss road.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by Nobody: 6:23am On Dec 25, 2018
So go ahead and put the pagan and their gods to shame, they can't triumph over God and His son Jesus, celebrate christmas, celebrate Jesus toady..

Merry Christmas.

13 Likes

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by ExpiredNigeria: 8:12am On Dec 25, 2018
Nwanne I'm a Christian by birth and I grew up celebrating Christmas every year.. 25 December rice and chicken with mineral is a sure thing and so special.. So I'm not stopping until I pass it on to my kids..

Over 5yrs, approved, verified Google AdSense Account with $94 and a website for sale

Call or WhatsApp me 0706 238 3910

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by MANNABBQGRILLS: 8:12am On Dec 25, 2018
WE LOVE YOU DARLING JESUS

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by lolaxavier(m): 8:14am On Dec 25, 2018

No substance in your write up. Go and sleep.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by Talktoyoulater(f): 8:14am On Dec 25, 2018
smiley
Whether it's good or bad,everybody is entitled to his/her opinion.as for me I love Christmas. Merry Christmassssss.

9 Likes

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by madjam(m): 8:15am On Dec 25, 2018
Merry Xmas all

I Have been posting all over this forum looking for who to bless me with money but all I got was insult from fellow colleagues here is not Good at all at least if you can't help it's better not to say anything ..........But I was blessed with 3500 from God sent nairalanders... Thank you very much ...God bless them amen.

Am a student/computer expert....(20yrs) old......I pay my sch fees alone , live alone do everything alone .Pls am currently in need of money right now ..........

Pls if you can't help me don't insult......... kindly ignore

Salami D David
Gtb
Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by Alexis11: 8:15am On Dec 25, 2018
It is normal for a person of other religions to be salty because of Christmas especially because of the way it was being celebrated in the past. The whole world literarily stand still for Christmas. This is enough to cause envy. For example, an Islamic writer once write on "what is special about Christmas season?" grin

But what is funny to me is when I see some confused Christians and Jehovah false witnesses fighting tooth and nail against CHRISTmas. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by FYB(m): 8:15am On Dec 25, 2018
Dats cool

On the other hand, Somebody’s tailor yesterday sent him a message “Don’t worry, it will be ready by 10pm tonight. You can pick it up first thing tomorrow morning. I will be in shop by 6am”

We'v been separating fight since morning grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by zenith4biz(m): 8:16am On Dec 25, 2018
Colossians 2:16

New International Version

Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.

New Living Translation

So don't let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

2 Likes

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by aku626(m): 8:16am On Dec 25, 2018
Thanks Jare, so if my birthday falls on a pagan holiday I won’t celebrate my birthday? Not saying 25yh is the exact birth date of Jesus but hey
Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by BrainnewsNg(f): 8:17am On Dec 25, 2018
Really? shocked

Note: Jesus never instructed us to celebrate his death on 25th December.

What happened when he said "Do this in remembrance of me" on the eve of the Lord's supper..?

The white fooling us since 1667 cry cry cry cry

4 Likes

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by directonpc(m): 8:17am On Dec 25, 2018
Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by RagaRaga: 8:18am On Dec 25, 2018
Merry Christmass. Happy Birthday to you Brother, E.I.Musa
Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by sukerefakere(m): 8:18am On Dec 25, 2018
grin
Guys Biko where is kanwuliamama I don miss her

Btw

I hope you understand op

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by Quality20(m): 8:19am On Dec 25, 2018
PPL in my area are just drinking alcohol o! Now after d beer drinking some might end up phucking n defiling ladies looking for goodies or just moving around. Anyway Christianity isn't about all these, its about following Christ and imitating him and his lifestyle

3 Likes

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by stuffs4me(m): 8:19am On Dec 25, 2018
Lol..

Lol... Christians are basically pegans worshiping Nimrod.

The incestours Nimrod who married his own mother is the god of Christians. grin

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by FroshD: 8:20am On Dec 25, 2018
Merry christmas!!!

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by millionboi2: 8:20am On Dec 25, 2018
Don't b carried away dsame time
Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by Postboiswag(m): 8:21am On Dec 25, 2018
Merry Christmas nairalanders

I don't need like
Show me love
I get account number
grin
Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by babyfaceafrica: 8:21am On Dec 25, 2018
IntrovertedK:
Well, in as much as we know the evil done to christianity, like the way it was heavily corrupted by the Italians i think we should also take our time once a while to Thank God for if not them maybe christianity would have died even before it was born.. That story for another year.

Now back to the christmas and pagan story.. It was true that it was recorded that 17th to 25th december in the olden days used to be days set aside for the pagans to celebrate their god of agriculture or so god whose name is surltan or something like that.

We don't know which day Jesus Christ was born, Jesus never celebrate any birthday while here on earth neither did his disciples did. Buh see why you should celebrate this christmas as a christian.

This date was purposely choosen by the then roman empire in other to abolish the pagan celebration, instead of celebrating a god during this time then let's organize a celebration for our Jesus instead so we can celebrate him rather than celebrating the pagan god which will help abolish the pagans celebration at the long run and it was a success, so every 25th instead of pagans celebrating their god, we took the day from them and lift our saviour over their god and celebrate Him instead, it's that simple.

Typical example are people from the traditional belief background, when you are chanced to meet Jesus and you wish to resist the day your family do worship whatever they belive in, you might choose this very day to worship God and lift our saviour instead of you joining them, and you'd be surprised that as time goes by, this very day would surely be turn around someday as your family might end up accepting Jesus through you and this day becoming a yearly festival in which your family would choose to worship God just like the way you were doing before they joined you in serving God..

That's the origin of Christmas, so as a christian won't you rather exalt and praise God while appreciating Jesus on such day making sure the gods worshipper are put to shame? Once the celebration is from your heart and it's unto God, you can never miss road.
I exalt and praise him everyday,so what is special about today?

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by Nobody: 8:22am On Dec 25, 2018
Na who get money dey celebrate Christmas
Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by sotall(m): 8:23am On Dec 25, 2018
The begging question should be " Is it righteous to celebrate Christmas?"

The obvious answer is No

Throughout the Bible, none of God's children celebrated their birthday. There are only two records of birthday celebration in the Bible and it was done by unbelievers. In one of the scenario, John the Baptist (a righteous man) was beheaded.

Christians should think deep and ask for God's guidance

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by CAPSLOCKED: 8:23am On Dec 25, 2018
IntrovertedK:

THIS POST IS A LIE.

1 Like

Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by Uyi168: 8:24am On Dec 25, 2018
Pussy is relatively cheaper during this period..
More reasons why I don't joke with Xmas..
Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by BrainnewsNg(f): 8:24am On Dec 25, 2018
IntrovertedK:

Thank you. God bless you! wink
Re: Why You Should Celebrate Christmas As A Christian by Oweku: 8:27am On Dec 25, 2018
Op.. No money, how person wan tke celebrate.. undecided

Meanwhile click my signature below and start earning as u re browsing the Internet... Its free

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

An Admonition For Young People / @speech #speech Speech* Hindi Diwas Speech For School / Basic Biblical Truth You Need To Know About Tithe Or Tithing

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.