Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,466 members, 7,801,180 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 12:01 PM

Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? (19782 Views)

Should I Drop Out Or Not? / Pursuing Money Vs Education: Should I Drop Out Of School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by zacwale(m): 11:48am On Dec 25, 2018
No drop out frm school you can run your biz safe,
When I am in school Dan I was feeling like to drop out
We fall in strike I dy doing biz on d biz accident occur I stay for home like one year ➕ I go back to school just to finish finally step.
For like two years no work or job, I start doing mini import before six months I have buy land and everything I can't count last year I apply for npower wit my results I get npower again na double blessing I dy now. I have many people I teach about mini import all is going well.
One of my best of dem is a student unilag run both
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 11:58am On Dec 25, 2018
aaronson:
Wow, You such a critical thinker buddy, I approve of your decision however Education is important. Here is how you go about it, Start a business from the money you were sent and soon as that business starts flourishing, Sign up for a part time program around your city or Noun university. By so doing, you killed two birds with one stone and congratulations, You just made life easier for yourself knowing the fact that most graduates earn peanuts.

Maybe critical thinking has some meaning I'm not aware of.

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by IamaNigerianGuy(m): 11:59am On Dec 25, 2018
zacwale:
No drop out frm school you can run your biz safe,
When I am in school Dan I was feeling like to drop out
We fall in strike I dy doing biz on d biz accident occur I stay for home like one year ➕ I go back to school just to finish finally step.
For like two years no work or job, I start doing mini import before six months I have buy land and everything I can't count last year I apply for npower wit my results I get npower again na double blessing I dy now. I have many people I teach about mini import all is going well.
One of my best of dem is a student unilag run both

Judging from your post, I would never have guessed you did not drop out tongue
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 12:04pm On Dec 25, 2018
crayon001:
I have been working on a material to answer questions like this. I would like to send you a chapter that answers your question but I can't put it up here.

I could send it to you via email.

tommyken6789@gmail.com
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by RealityShot: 12:06pm On Dec 25, 2018
tommyken:

I never said I want to work for anyone, infact I don't intend to. I want to be self made and have my own employee.talking a useless certificate to be searching for job is what I have rebuke in my life.
you have an aunt abroad thats interested in you. Better get the education, she might call you over there after graduation.

you can still figure out a way to do that or other business parttime.

i do regret going to uni sometimes but overall, am glad i didnt drop out as i wanted to.

just read like mad and you migh discover a better business in those books!

good luck

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 12:08pm On Dec 25, 2018
In as much I love to be entrepreneurial, I need an MSc or MBA.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by chukzyfcbb: 12:10pm On Dec 25, 2018
who says you can't run both?

Business is not all rosy as these guys are painting it, all those stories about boiz in Lagos island, alaba and co. trust me I have been there done that and still doing. its not rosy!

Be prepared to lose all your sweat made in years with just one bad business move!

For school, most graduates come out with just a Bsc and expect a fat paycheck to land on thier lap. That's why you hear them complain that certf is rubbish.

who will pay you heavy cheques because you have just a Bsc. The same Bsc that thousands out there also have. so what makes you special?

When you have extra additional skills to a Bsc in Comp sci. there is no way you won't stand out from the crowd and command high figures.

Infact for someone who is business driven, after working for x no of years as an employee. you can quickly start up your own firm with your skills and experience gained.

All these guys saying mini import and ko. baba its no easy as it seems o. This Christmas season alone business is very slow in Idumota market, buyers are scarce, no money for Naija.
Mehn dey liquidate thier goods to travel out with thier family.
Except say no be this same Idumota I dey.

You can always start business any day you wake up. but to get that knowledge from a higher institution and get the needed experience as an employee has limited time.

The choice is yours!

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Dreyl(m): 12:14pm On Dec 25, 2018
Ezegozie:

Did I hear you say guaranteed of getting a good job ?

My brother, nothing is guaranteed in Nigeria.
Unless you are talking about outside Nigeria because I have seen someone with Msc in UK university who is jobless
I didn't say Nigeria, and it's very rare to see someone with a degree in abroad without a good job unless that person is choosy.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by nbuli(m): 12:19pm On Dec 25, 2018
See bro which business are you into let me if I will join u
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by speedyconnect3: 12:20pm On Dec 25, 2018
kizyalex10:
let me take my time to share my own view with u.we have formal education nd informal i guess.let me use myself as an example.iam a graduate.with 2.1.i worked in a company in naija nd my salary at most den was 35k.but i enjoyed doing it because i was making tripple from d same work via my own business.but then at one point i wasnt satisfied cos in d same line i was working,i saw people who were never graduates and apprentice who were raking millions either by doing runs under their oga.nt stealing.like knowing when a particular goods is scarce nd hw to hide nd hijack nd den sell it very high nd remove ogas money den d rest is dias.i do d same.but then iam a graduate who ended up doing business.i later raised enough money abt 2 million naira within 3 to 4 years.nd started mine.but then i struggled to cope with the pace because i didnt learn d basics nd full trick of the business.funny enough d most apprentice after getting their own business after settlement from oga,stabilised it nd making steady progress then enrolled to part time nd eventually they will end up having d same certificate as mine nd still have a basic business foundation which will make them nt to carry files and looking for job.they re happy going to d sch as big boys cos they knw they re rich already.now fast forward nw.i struggled and customers nw were owing me so much dat i almost ran out of business.the little remaining i used nd travelled with d hope of working nd doing business.importation.now i ended up not doing a proffessional job of which was my main reason for going to sch.i do work in a production outfit which didnt even tally with d course of my study.didnt even gain employment with my certificate.but then i earn as much as what two proffessors earn combined.the buttom line of the whole story is that success is nt tied to accademics.but it gives a better chance.if u can afford formal education comfortably do it but if nt.plz nd plz u can do what fetches u money nd when u feel u re atable.u can enroll for part time cos what counts in d end is success.d ability to fend for urself and afford what u desire.thanks

So how did you arrive at this " I earn what 2 professors earn?

I feel you are abroad and just converted your salary to naira?

Is that how much you know about economics?
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by elderken(m): 12:22pm On Dec 25, 2018
Op my candid advice. We have a lot of successful campuspreneurs who are Doing fine. Just get your bearing right. There's nothing stopping you from schooling and running your business. Believe me it is something you can really manage. Just get your bearing right. You can go to school and still run a successful business, all it takes is the commitment and proper planning. Mind you, it isn't gonna be easy.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Realnatt: 12:22pm On Dec 25, 2018
Education is important but not as important being able to carter for one's self.Alot of billionaires today dropped out and after they became successful they went back to school.

if your sure your business is lucrative,focus on it.You can educate yourself after you have given structure to your business
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Gent009: 12:30pm On Dec 25, 2018
Abyima:
My dear, the only advice I can give to you is to continue your school. It's just two years remaining. The society doesn't value waec holder anymore. BSc today is just like waec. Please I beg you, continue.

I know it is not easy. I saw myself through school. It wasn't easy for me. I did all sort of business while in school ranging from selling perfume, soap, doing assignment for people and even writing projects for people, e.t.c. I am now a graduate today with first class even. But I am keeping my certificate to face business . Right now, I am doing my own business waiting for nysc. I am a business guru just like you.

Please endure and continue , because of tomorrow. Biko. Waiting time is not wasting time.

Do u have a business empire? Then sorry you are not a business guru. Thank you
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Gent009: 12:31pm On Dec 25, 2018
tommyken:

I never said I want to work for anyone, infact I don't intend to. I want to be self made and have my own employee.talking a useless certificate to be searching for job is what I have rebuke in my life.
If you consider the certificate useless then drop out. Hope you won't regret the decision in the future. Merry Christmas
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by CityNGR: 12:35pm On Dec 25, 2018
IamaNigerianGuy:

Judging from your post, I would never have guessed you did not drop out tongue
Your mouth sire!!
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by paulpery: 12:40pm On Dec 25, 2018
Go for business, then later go for particular school. Open University is there.

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Originalsly: 1:05pm On Dec 25, 2018
Hmmm....interesting. Let me ask.... what exactly is your purpose of going to school?....if it's to become a graduate...drop out. If it is to learn business skills and management.... don't drop out. If it is to make connections that will grow your business.... don't drop out.For any other reason....drop out. Too many are stuck in must be a graduate mentality. Yes...you have started...so why not finish?...if you are driving to a certain destination and realize you're on Yaba Left Road instead of Yaba Right Road...would you continue?...after all...you burned a lot of petrol on YLR.
Then why engage in something you have lost all interest in?...and be losing time and money?...better used to boost your business? How would being a graduate change your life?..life not ego. My take.

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 1:12pm On Dec 25, 2018
Read
Rich dad, poor dad
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 25, 2018
Abyima:
My dear, the only advice I can give to you is to continue your school. It's just two years remaining. The society doesn't value waec holder anymore. BSc today is just like waec. Please I beg you, continue.

I know it is not easy. I saw myself through school. It wasn't easy for me. I did all sort of business while in school ranging from selling perfume, soap, doing assignment for people and even writing projects for people, e.t.c. I am now a graduate today with first class even. But I am keeping my certificate to face business . Right now, I am doing my own business waiting for nysc. I am a business guru just like you.

Please endure and continue , because of tomorrow. Biko. Waiting time is not wasting time.

What tomorrow?

Go and read
Rich dad, poor dad
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 1:13pm On Dec 25, 2018
CityNGR:

You cannot start a biz empire absent relevant education

You don't have to go to school to be educated

Go and read
Rich dad, poor dad
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by SpaceBar: 1:17pm On Dec 25, 2018
Pls op try to read this.

I had felt the same way you're feeling right now and I must tell you that your fears and worries won't last....just hang on and keep your head up. Don't be startled by the things(challenges) you face. There are nothing but mirages.

Am just like you bro...have been there too.

I was supposed to enter into the University in 2011 when I got admitted to study Electrical and Electronics Engineering in FUT Owerri but my elder brother whom I was looking up to for sponsorship turned me down. I had to leave Aba and back to Abuja where I grew up. I was determined to see my self through school though I knew I was all by my self. But you know the saying "when you move Providence moves" My whole energy and focus was set to work (I moved) and things began to unwind for me....At the place where i offer the service of music and games transfer for customers, I was flexible enough and got hooked up with a neighbor who does SIM registration for a particular telecom company.... Learnt the work and became an Agent shortly. In as much as most people might look down on this work, I must say it became the amazing grace for me......was so good and creative in the biz....To minimize my words, I was able to redirect my life, Lived in a comfortable apartment and even bought a car.
I wrote jamb again in 2015 and got Admitted again to study same EEE (Merit list). I must say that this Admission was in a time when I was already giving up on school to pursue my business prospect.

I abandoned the promising business plans(not totally though) spent all my money on accommodation, fees,feeding and all....and when on holidays I fall back to hustle....Fast forward to my 200L, the financial demands on me became overwhelming as my business was no longer bringing in much due to my absence......I must say that at that point in my life I felt like dropping out also, the bright future I was foreseeing in my business made the choice to continue my Education a hard one to make.... Yet I didn't give in to this temptation and I continued school.
l had to sell my car to grow my business which now brings in enough to keep me in school, pay the sales boys and girls under me. The only challenge is that I need alternate my focus between my Academics and my business which is very demanding and costly I.e Resuming late, having to pay other students for assignments and cover ups, studying in school while unholy sales boys and girls mismanage your business etc
It's not an easy road but definitely not as tough as it might appear. You are tougher

Currently in my 400L and even as the ASUU is striking it's a plus to me grin to grow my business.
When ever i tell some of my friends in school that I can't settle for a job below 500k per month after school, I always see the frustration it places on their face.

The story above is for you to see how possibly you can meander your way through the rocks before you

In a nut shell, Look for a way to keep doing that your business or any other while you still strive to see your self through school never drop any

YOU NEVER CAN TELL WHICH MIGHT BECOME YOUR AMAZING GRACE SHOULD THE OTHER FAIL.

....WON'T BE LONG JUST HOLD ON A LITTLE

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Sojiade1111: 1:21pm On Dec 25, 2018
Pls don't drop out because time will come you will need the education to enhance your business to a higher level, what you need to do is to look for any space business around school area and invest in it then continue with your study. Mind you many are in your shoe yet they keep struggling to be a graduate with a good grade.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by bluefilm: 1:24pm On Dec 25, 2018
Business first.

Tertiary education in naija is a total waste of time and resources.

Any ASUU lecturer can bear me witness on that.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 1:50pm On Dec 25, 2018
you better continue and finish your computer science degree.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by HBB1(m): 1:58pm On Dec 25, 2018
SixDividedByTwo:
you better continue and finish your computer science degree.

BSc (Ed).
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by CityNGR: 2:04pm On Dec 25, 2018
maynia:

You don't have to go to school to be educated

Go and read
Rich dad, poor dad
Robert kiyosaki will ruin your life if care is not taken

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 2:05pm On Dec 25, 2018
tommyken:
If a man can see the future and consequence of his every action then I believe no man will make a mistake but nature never design it that way.

After my ssce I join my uncle in business and was making enough money and even open account with two different bank but my aspiration was to go to school. after I wrote jamb and pass, my uncle who I was doing the business with began to advice me seriously to forget about school and make enough but I never listen and instead I thought he was just jealous although he is also a graduate but no job made him start the business which later benefit him.

Fast forward to months later I got admission and spent almost all my money for school expenses and rent because my parents were poor and am even the first child of the family so I did all the admission expenses with my saving .then I return to square one with hunger in school just in the name of university education which I later regret.

Am currently in 200 level but the funny thing is that I have lost all passion for school and don't even like going for lectures. The regret is still eating deep in me because with the way I see graduate living in peanut salary I ask myself what stupid enthusiasm even push me to school. please am thinking of dropping out of school now and to use this 100k which my aunty in London sent for me to continue in business and then later learn a skill in IT instead of wasting it to pay for school fee.

Please I will need advice from you all.
You're not a grateful person Your uncle who taught you business advised you and you thought he was JEALOUS yet he also is a graduate You mean he is jealous of your lack of experience or what
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by gabicon: 2:24pm On Dec 25, 2018
tommyken:
If a man can see the future and consequence of his every action then I believe no man will make a mistake but nature never design it that way.

After my ssce I join my uncle in business and was making enough money and even open account with two different bank but my aspiration was to go to school. after I wrote jamb and pass, my uncle who I was doing the business with began to advice me seriously to forget about school and make enough but I never listen and instead I thought he was just jealous although he is also a graduate but no job made him start the business which later benefit him.

Fast forward to months later I got admission and spent almost all my money for school expenses and rent because my parents were poor and am even the first child of the family so I did all the admission expenses with my saving .then I return to square one with hunger in school just in the name of university education which I later regret.

Am currently in 200 level but the funny thing is that I have lost all passion for school and don't even like going for lectures. The regret is still eating deep in me because with the way I see graduate living in peanut salary I ask myself what stupid enthusiasm even push me to school. please am thinking of dropping out of school now and to use this 100k which my aunty in London sent for me to continue in business and then later learn a skill in IT instead of wasting it to pay for school fee.

Please I will need advice from you all.

I would have suggested you did part time study. In fact these days there are a lot of online degrees that enable one study at their own pace. You can explore one of these degrees and at the same time run your business.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 2:27pm On Dec 25, 2018
CityNGR:

Robert kiyosaki will ruin your life if care is not taken

Run your rat race
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by CityNGR: 2:28pm On Dec 25, 2018
maynia:

Run your rat race
Nah. That's your race. Set before you by the fraudster and bankruptcy professional kiyosaki.

Read the "Richest Man in Babylon". Consider this a Christmas gift from me.

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Ugosample(m): 2:30pm On Dec 25, 2018
OkaNaUbe:
smiley

I have a B.Sc but I am a business man. You should have listened to your uncle. He is educated and knows that there are no jobs. Education is expensive.
Education may not make you rich but doing a legitimate and profitable business will.

Even me that has a 2:1, my certificate is in my bag. Education gives us an edge and when the opportunity comes, you are prepared but you can have the best of the two worlds.

If you had continued and started your business, you can take a part-time course in any school of your choice. I know many people who have done it.

Since you are in 200L, I would advice you to stick it out till the end. If you go back to business you will start from square one.

The salary range of an average graduate(those that have a paid job) is:

Salary Range ----------------- % of graduates
25-50000 --------;- 70-75% (most fresh graduates)

50,000-100000 -------------- 10-15% (experienced)

100000- 150,000 -------------6% -10% (managers)

150,000- 250,000 --------------5% -7% (more experience, qualification, man-know-man, God's grace)

250,000 and above ------------ 5% or less (more experience, qualification, man-know-man, God's grace)

But as a business man, you can make any of the salary ranges with your freedom, no queries, no shouting, no sack, etc. A business man may not make sales for a month but a day sales profit can fetch you seven months (or so) salary of someone.

you have a point

a solid point.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 2:32pm On Dec 25, 2018
CityNGR:

Nah. That's your race. Set before you by the fraudster and bankruptcy professional kiyosaki.

Read the "Richest Man in Babylon". Consider this a Christmas gift from me.

Read "Change your life, Change your thinking" by brian Tracy then come back.

A fruadstar? Lol

Do you have peace of Mind?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? / What Does It Cost To Write ICAN Exams From PE1 To PE2 ? / 20 Ways To Be Indispensable At Work

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.