Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,020 members, 7,806,991 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 08:16 AM

Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? - Career (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? (19793 Views)

Should I Drop Out Or Not? / Should I Drop A Bank Job For A Federal Job? / Pursuing Money Vs Education: Should I Drop Out Of School? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by CityNGR: 2:33pm On Dec 25, 2018
maynia:

Read "Change your life, Change your thinking" by brian Tracy then come back.

A fruadstar? Lol

Do you have peace of Mind?
Perfect peace of mind. I expect a thanks for my gift.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 2:35pm On Dec 25, 2018
CityNGR:

Perfect peace of mind. I expect a thanks for my gift.

I will read it
You should also read "change your thinking, change your life"
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Ugosample(m): 2:36pm On Dec 25, 2018
Oluwapresley:
I'm only going to comment on this because most of the guys that commented on the first page didn't really do justice to the question.

It's sad when one is in need of a piece of advice that can change his life for good and from a vast majority, he can't seem to get a honest and also effective idea.

So, to your dilemma. Who says you can't do the two at the same time? One thing people fail to realize is that a tertiary institution and its environs provides a very large market for business people. I schooled in Obafemi Awolowo University and the average population every session was put at 35, 000 people! Notice I said average. That's for crying out loud, a very large market for any smart business minded person!

I doubt you would be directly linked to a market as large as that from a shop wherever you wanna set your shop up, well except you want to leverage on technology. With a market size of 35,000 people and technology at your grasp, who says this number can't increase?

That was OAU. I have heard of schools with far far higher average population.

So, think. Why can't you stay in school and set up a thriving business in school? I know of guys that made it for life through businesses in school.

The woli arole everyone is talking about today never dropped out from school. He is a bona fide graduate of OAU and he did MC on campus which set him up towards the right direction.

Chinko Ekun never dropped out of school. I still rem when the news was everywhere that Olamide wouldn't sign him if he didn't drop out from school. Olamide later signed him. Today, he is a graduate and he got signed on campus. All of these was even before the Olamide ish. How bout guys that did buying and selling? In one hostel in your school, you are directly linked to at least 2000 people that can patronize you.

So my question, instead of throwing one away to get another, why not take both in both hands?

Education is key! The fact that you haven't dropped out already shows u still think it is key and you don't want to lose at the end of the day.

Think. You can start up a great business in school there.

You have spoken.well
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by CityNGR: 2:36pm On Dec 25, 2018
maynia:

I will read it
You should also read "change your thinking, change your life"
I HAVE IT. Please quote when you are through with the book.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 2:38pm On Dec 25, 2018
CityNGR:

I HAVE IT. Please quote when you are through with the book.

I just read the preview, there is no contrast with what is Inside "rich dad, poor dad".
When am through with some books I am reading I will read it. Thank you
And hope you are not just reading it, hope you are using it?

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Dec 25, 2018
A fool complains, criticize, condemn, most fools do.
But it takes character, self control to be understanding and forgiving!.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by DONADAMS(m): 2:45pm On Dec 25, 2018
all of una just dey talk business up and down I just dey look una...abeg which better business dey? I can't think of any right now..all businesses seem to be over saturated... make I learn skill + dey go my school jeje...business no fit my head

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 3:11pm On Dec 25, 2018
Unbelievable! God has opened your eyes! Pls run! Since you have no mental addiction to certificate pls run from school. You'll regret it if you stay a day more. Marry your bizness. You'll employ graduates soon. One day universities will even study what you have done and give you certificates and honor so as to have money. Pls run and go and do deliverance from your two years in school. My current landlord didn't finish secondary school. He's a merchant who owns franchises from UK, China and India. Pls forget school. It's pure scam. You won't benefit! If you want knowledge, go to google search page, Alexa, Siri, yahoo search etc and you'll learn more than you want with links to professionals etc... Basic education for reading and writing well is all you need. If you want to be rich, university is scam. Pls run!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by ajayiopy: 3:27pm On Dec 25, 2018
LET ME FIRST CONGRATULATE YOU.
THIS IS A GOOD SIGN THAT YOU WILL BE GREAT.
I HAD SAME DREAM WHILE I WAS 300LEVEL IN FUTA,I ALMOST ABADONED MY STUDY UNTIL GOD WOKE ME UP AROUND 2AM OCT 2003.GOD TOLD ME THAT I HAVE INVESTED ALOT IN MY EDUCATION AND I NEED TO FINISH IT. I THANK GOD THAT I DIDNT DO OTHERWISE. I GRADUATED WITH UPPER CREDIT IN ENGINEERING.TODAY I HAVE MSC,WORK IN BANK,OWN MY BUSINESS WHICH CAN GENERATE 10× MY MONTHLY INCOME.MY WORKPLACE ALSO HAS EXPOSEDME TO SOME BUSINESS IDEAS.I ALSO LEARN FROM MY CUSTOMERS BUSINESS FAILURE AND I GET CLOSE TO THEM TO LEARN ABOUT STRATEGIES.
ABOVE ALL ,SEEK FOR GOD LEADING

2 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by simple4generall(m): 3:31pm On Dec 25, 2018
ahiboilandgas:
u can still do both transfer to open university or partime and concentrate 9j your bussiness ....my main break through came from bussiness despite having mba
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by AbuMaryam1(m): 3:33pm On Dec 25, 2018
proffemi:

Don't be slow. That's not a smart way to look at this.
Becoming rich is never the primary goal of the academic profession. What we do leaves little time to pursue wealth creation in and of itself.
Why don't you flip the question and ask: how many billionaires do you know who never went to school

In Nigerian setting, schools aren't the best thing to happened to us. God did not create foolish people but our educational system does. When you go to school they tell you, you will be among the successful people, at times you look at peers that didn't go to school as waste in the society. When you go to school they will tell you, you will have a high pay job, more account balance bla bla bla. Its when you graduated and comes to labour market your brain will got reformatted. How many billionaires are professors? Most of billionaires are dropout or didn't wasted much time in school.

3 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by AbuMaryam1(m): 3:34pm On Dec 25, 2018
Ezegozie:

Wole Soyinka
Charles Soludo
Chinua Achebe etc

None of the above is a billionaire, all of them are thieves.

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by AbuMaryam1(m): 3:37pm On Dec 25, 2018
Dididrumz:

There are barely a handful....

Truth is m also thinking if quitting school to focus on my currency trading(Forex) dream.

Right now school is my biggest distraction to living a successful life. I say this because on a normal week when am focused on my chart, I make more than $500 but end loosing money because I have classes to attend and all that.

I still am at a cross road.
I need advice too.

PS: am doing very well on forex trading.

Keep on your business you will never regret it. If you go to school at last you will come to labour market and regret it. The end justify the means.

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by bigfrancis21: 3:47pm On Dec 25, 2018
tommyken:
If a man can see the future and consequence of his every action then I believe no man will make a mistake but nature never design it that way.

After my ssce I join my uncle in business and was making enough money and even open account with two different bank but my aspiration was to go to school. after I wrote jamb and pass, my uncle who I was doing the business with began to advice me seriously to forget about school and make enough but I never listen and instead I thought he was just jealous although he is also a graduate but no job made him start the business which later benefit him.

Fast forward to months later I got admission and spent almost all my money for school expenses and rent because my parents were poor and am even the first child of the family so I did all the admission expenses with my saving .then I return to square one with hunger in school just in the name of university education which I later regret.

Am currently in 200 level but the funny thing is that I have lost all passion for school and don't even like going for lectures. The regret is still eating deep in me because with the way I see graduate living in peanut salary I ask myself what stupid enthusiasm even push me to school. please am thinking of dropping out of school now and to use this 100k which my aunty in London sent for me to continue in business and then later learn a skill in IT instead of wasting it to pay for school fee.

Please I will need advice from you all.

Persevere, graduate and focus on business later. University days have their highs and lows. Every student experiences that. Many uneducated but successful business men often wish they went to school.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by wordCraft: 3:51pm On Dec 25, 2018
Abyima:
My dear, the only advice I can give to you is to continue your school. It's just two years remaining. The society doesn't value waec holder anymore. BSc today is just like waec. Please I beg you, continue.

I know it is not easy. I saw myself through school. It wasn't easy for me. I did all sort of business while in school ranging from selling perfume, soap, doing assignment for people and even writing projects for people, e.t.c. I am now a graduate today with first class even. But I am keeping my certificate to face business . Right now, I am doing my own business waiting for nysc. I am a business guru just like you.

Please endure and continue , because of tomorrow. Biko. Waiting time is not wasting time.

Pray tell. What kind of business are you doing?.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Eagba(m): 4:18pm On Dec 25, 2018
CityNGR:

You cannot start a biz empire absent relevant education
from the way he writes you can ascertain that he doesn't have basic education Abi? awon to lo skul. well with all una rubbish rubbish university, YouTube videos beat 90% of the things you'll learn in nigeria universities.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 4:35pm On Dec 25, 2018
I fall in the same category,
Am a student of a federal polytechnic in the country studying marketing, I was brought up in a poor home where my Dad is the only person catering for our needs while my mum is late though am a hustler and no longer depend on my Dad for my school runs,
Am done with my one year industrial training and am ready to go back to school to finish up what I started, thank God for what I saved, I never knew I could save such amount of money. during my ND days I lived an extravagant life trying to please everyone, engaging in school politics just to gain fame now I have discovered my mistakes and such won't repeat itself again ,
Am thinking of a business to do with 100k while in school because I don't want to fall a victim of frustrated graduates,
I have set aside this amount of money for a great business idea.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 4:41pm On Dec 25, 2018
Considering importation of bags of garri, Sell fruits, Cleaning services, Phone charging spot,
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by hansomb: 4:46pm On Dec 25, 2018
Apply for suspension of studies
Try business for one session
If it's work , fine continue
If it doesn't go back to school.
From personal experience am just imagining how much I would have make as a business if not for school, in life everything happens for a reason and always thank God in any situation you are cause you better than you think. School now is just for the respects/status but not for money/success.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Dec 25, 2018
I never want to drop out,
Have learnt a lot of lessons from graduates with or no jobs,
Life is just a survival of the fittest,
We just have to commit what we do in the hands of God and we shall be established,
Life favored some calibers of people while others complained of an unfavourable stage of their life,
As an undergraduate I sort and search for an idea that will make me an employer of labour one day

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 4:58pm On Dec 25, 2018
Quote me right
School environs is a place where you can nurture yourself,
Study people,
Learn new things and get yourself ready to face your tomorrow,
Op I must ask you,
What prompted you to further your education?
To get a well paid job?
To be respected?
For a brighter future?
And why do you want to drop out from school?
To make money? Know it that there is no shortcut to our dream route
To be under your uncle?
How many years will it take you to recover and get financial freedom?
I sensed you are dropping out because you have no passion for your course and can never make something out of it.
You are confuse today because you are running out of cash,
What will you tell your uncle if you finally drop out and found yourself there again? He will laugh at you because you mission is impossible and can never be possible,
My brother check yourself,
I advice you to finish up then go back later for full time business since you are incline in the business,

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by CityNGR: 5:14pm On Dec 25, 2018
Eagba:

from the way he writes you can ascertain that he doesn't have basic education Abi? awon to lo skul. well with all una rubbish rubbish university, YouTube videos beat 90% of the things you'll learn in nigeria universities.
And you are so intelligent to conclude that relevant education is gotten only at the university?

You see... You are so intelligent!

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Dec 25, 2018
You can as well access loan from your uncle and start your own business maybe after graduation,
Start planning yourself now.
The certificate you acquired or acquiring is a back up should in case any bad occurrence in your business..... So the useless paper called certificate is an asset too,
Though education in Nigeria is a poor one but you have to stand out to shun and shame unemployment by employing yourself, build career in your course study if you really know what you studied in school.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by proffemi: 5:29pm On Dec 25, 2018
AbuMaryam1:

In Nigerian setting, schools aren't the best thing to happened to us. God did not create foolish people but our educational system does. When you go to school they tell you, you will be among the successful people, at times you look at peers that didn't go to school as waste in the society. When you go to school they will tell you, you will have a high pay job, more account balance bla bla bla. Its when you graduated and comes to labour market your brain will got reformatted. How many billionaires are professors? Most of billionaires are dropout or didn't wasted much time in school.

Thank you for at least trying to let us reason this through.
The highlighted part is completely false o.

The Nigerian educational system is not very good at adding real enduring value, I'll give you that. Still, you're statistically better of *by far* with formal education than without.

1 Like

Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by AbuMaryam1(m): 5:55pm On Dec 25, 2018
proffemi:

Thank you for at least trying to let us reason this through.
The highlighted part is completely false o.

The Nigerian educational system is not very good at adding real enduring value, I'll give you that. Still, you're statistically better of *by far* with formal education than without.

You Sounds like Buhari's supporter. Well, we don't mean not going to school entirely. At least one will learn one or two at certain level. Mind you school doesn't necessarily western education or English, as wrongly perceived by the majority. Go to school to some extend at the verge of remaining a slave forever...! Hope you aren't one of the victims.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by adedayoadeoye(f): 5:58pm On Dec 25, 2018
Abyima:
My dear, the only advice I can give to you is to continue your school. It's just two years remaining. The society doesn't value waec holder anymore. BSc today is just like waec. Please I beg you, continue.

I know it is not easy. I saw myself through school. It wasn't easy for me. I did all sort of business while in school ranging from selling perfume, soap, doing assignment for people and even writing projects for people, e.t.c. I am now a graduate today with first class even. But I am keeping my certificate to face business . Right now, I am doing my own business waiting for nysc. I am a business guru just like you.

Please endure and continue , because of tomorrow. Biko. Waiting time is not wasting time.
pls can you give me idea of business i can do wit just 100k
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by AbuMaryam1(m): 5:59pm On Dec 25, 2018
chukwuma0000:
I fall in the same category,
Am a student of a federal polytechnic in the country studying marketing, I was brought up in a poor home where my Dad is the only person catering for our needs while my mum is late though am a hustler and no longer depend on my Dad for my school runs,
Am done with my one year industrial training and am ready to go back to school to finish up what I started, thank God for what I saved, I never knew I could save such amount of money. during my ND days I lived an extravagant life trying to please everyone, engaging in school politics just to gain fame now I have discovered my mistakes and such won't repeat itself again ,
Am thinking of a business to do with 100k while in school because I don't want to fall a victim of frustrated graduates,
I have set aside this amount of money for a great business idea.

Pure water business will do you considering the amount you save.
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by marvinsync(m): 6:46pm On Dec 25, 2018
tommyken:
If a man can see the future and consequence of his every action then I believe no man will make a mistake but nature never design it that way.

After my ssce I join my uncle in business and was making enough money and even open account with two different bank but my aspiration was to go to school. after I wrote jamb and pass, my uncle who I was doing the business with began to advice me seriously to forget about school and make enough but I never listen and instead I thought he was just jealous although he is also a graduate but no job made him start the business which later benefit him.

Fast forward to months later I got admission and spent almost all my money for school expenses and rent because my parents were poor and am even the first child of the family so I did all the admission expenses with my saving .then I return to square one with hunger in school just in the name of university education which I later regret.

Am currently in 200 level but the funny thing is that I have lost all passion for school and don't even like going for lectures. The regret is still eating deep in me because with the way I see graduate living in peanut salary I ask myself what stupid enthusiasm even push me to school. please am thinking of dropping out of school now and to use this 100k which my aunty in London sent for me to continue in business and then later learn a skill in IT instead of wasting it to pay for school fee.

Please I will need advice from you all.

u will hear differently things from different people because people have different story , a lot of people here talk about people who made it without school but what about people that did make it with school, what about people that schools have them the opportunity and connection to go high ? , u might think the certificate useless but u must ask urself how far are u willing to go in life ? not having a certificate is a shame to many people , do u know how many people despite having money are going back to school ask kanayo O kanayo and co

so u must ask urself is it possible to do both business and school , doesn't matter if u slack off in school , if not u must also ask urself what do I really need at the moment? u say things are hard for u , if so is school worth starving for ?
because man must chop b4 anything else

but if u can try and finish school 2 years could pass in the snap of ur fingers
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Mutini(m): 6:48pm On Dec 25, 2018
OP you really don't need any one's validation to do whatever you think is best for you.

We all have stories to tell but that's not the essence of the thread. I think we should have a rethink on what education can do for a man. The goal of education is not necessarily to get a paying job upon completion.

The university and other training institutions are the best platforms to find and make good friends that will later form your strong connect in the future.

It's unfortunate that some of us had to fight through life on our own.

Sir with all due respect, giving up on education isn't worth it. Education is one of the key ingredient to any successful business outfit. You may want to list people who weren't educated but are sitting on large conglomerate but mind you this business are managed for them by educated hands.

The climax of it all is that you should define your own path and follow suit with a sound educational background the sky is going to be your starting point.

Most aba traders and the likes would have been richer than the guys we know to be rich today. The distinction is that they are not learned.

Here is my personal quote for you sir

School will only certify you, but the right to defining your limits is solely yours....
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Trouble1: 8:30pm On Dec 25, 2018
Oluwapresley:
I'm only going to comment on this because most of the guys that commented on the first page didn't really do justice to the question.

It's sad when one is in need of a piece of advice that can change his life for good and from a vast majority, he can't seem to get a honest and also effective idea.

So, to your dilemma. Who says you can't do the two at the same time? One thing people fail to realize is that a tertiary institution and its environs provides a very large market for business people. I schooled in Obafemi Awolowo University and the average population every session was put at 35, 000 people! Notice I said average. That's for crying out loud, a very large market for any smart business minded person!

I doubt you would be directly linked to a market as large as that from a shop wherever you wanna set your shop up, well except you want to leverage on technology. With a market size of 35,000 people and technology at your grasp, who says this number can't increase?

That was OAU. I have heard of schools with far far higher average population.

So, think. Why can't you stay in school and set up a thriving business in school? I know of guys that made it for life through businesses in school.

The woli arole everyone is talking about today never dropped out from school. He is a bona fide graduate of OAU and he did MC on campus which set him up towards the right direction.

Chinko Ekun never dropped out of school. I still rem when the news was everywhere that Olamide wouldn't sign him if he didn't drop out from school. Olamide later signed him. Today, he is a graduate and he got signed on campus. All of these was even before the Olamide ish. How bout guys that did buying and selling? In one hostel in your school, you are directly linked to at least 2000 people that can patronize you.

So my question, instead of throwing one away to get another, why not take both in both hands?

Education is key! The fact that you haven't dropped out already shows u still think it is key and you don't want to lose at the end of the day.

Think. You can start up a great business in school there.
Lol.
Enu dun rofo
Re: Should I Drop Out Of School And Concentrate On Business? by Trouble1: 8:42pm On Dec 25, 2018
DONADAMS:
all of una just dey talk business up and down I just dey look una...abeg which better business dey? I can't think of any right now..all businesses seem to be over saturated... make I learn skill + dey go my school jeje...business no fit my head
What skills?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Can A 35 Year Old Still Get Appointment Into Federal Civil Service / Why Do Nigerian Graduates Dread (or Is It Hate) Marketing/sales Jobs? / What Does It Cost To Write ICAN Exams From PE1 To PE2 ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.