Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,482 members, 7,808,755 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:25 PM

Toyota Highlander 2002 Transmission Issues - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Toyota Highlander 2002 Transmission Issues (898 Views)

Advice Needed: Lexus Rx300 Vs Toyota Highlander 2002 / HIGHLANDER 2002/2003 & LEXUS RX 300 2002/2003 / Driving A Toyota Highlander 2002 Without A Catalyst (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Toyota Highlander 2002 Transmission Issues by Gbaj(m): 8:54am On Dec 25, 2018
Dear all, I recently noticed a low pitched winning noise in the transmission a few week ago. I checked the fluid level and condition, all was okay. I did a 500km Journey recently, the next day, I noticed a hard thud while shifting to drive. Now the car jerks intermittently while driving. Pls help. I am in a remote location so can't scan the car. My potable scanner shows that knock sensors on both banks are bad. Gazzuzz and co...pls help me.

1 Like

Re: Toyota Highlander 2002 Transmission Issues by MotorGuru: 10:36am On Dec 25, 2018
Gbaj:
Dear all, I recently noticed a low pitched winning noise in the transmission a few week ago. I checked the fluid level and condition, all was okay. I did a 500km Journey recently, the next day, I noticed a hard thud while shifting to drive. Now the car jerks intermittently while driving. Pls help. I am in a remote location so can't scan the car. My potable scanner shows that knock sensors on both banks are bad. Gazzuzz and co...pls help me.

There seems to be a mechanical issue going on with your transmission( with respect to the whine). Did you recently perform an ATF fliud change?
Knock sensor can definitely cause transmission shifting concerns. So I strongly suggest you fix that first. Most likely rats might have eaten up the wires?
Please note that accessing the knock sensors is not DIY for most people.
We can continue the chat here :https://www.nairaland.com/4467246/motor-guru-here-ask-questions
Re: Toyota Highlander 2002 Transmission Issues by Gbaj(m): 11:34am On Dec 25, 2018
MotorGuru:

There seems to be a mechanical issue going on with your transmission( with respect to the whine). Did you recently perform an ATF fliud change?
Knock sensor can definitely cause transmission shifting concerns. So I strongly suggest you fix that first. Most likely rats might have eaten up the wires?
Please note that accessing the knock sensors is not DIY for most people.
We can continue the chat here :https://www.nairaland.com/4467246/motor-guru-here-ask-questions
Thanks or your prompt reply. The ATF was changed a year ago. Have had the knock sensor codes for about a year too. Could it be the tranny filter?
Re: Toyota Highlander 2002 Transmission Issues by mayor2013: 12:41pm On Dec 25, 2018
Gbaj:

Thanks or your prompt reply. The ATF was changed a year ago. Have had the knock sensor codes for about a year too. Could it be the tranny filter?

Fix the knock sensor issues. A common issue on the 1MZ-FE engine. For sure you would have transmission shift issues
Re: Toyota Highlander 2002 Transmission Issues by MotorGuru: 7:16pm On Dec 25, 2018
Gbaj:

You are welcome sir.
I hope the exact atf was used as a replacement( Toyota Type T-IV)?

(1) (Reply)

A Sharp Honda CR-V 08068094003 / Jagaur Shows You How To Set A Perfect Driving Position / Luxembourg Becomes First Country To Make All Public Transit Free*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.